PDA

View Full Version : persian cats

tikeyas_mom
04-13-2003, 10:27 PM
I like persian cats, they are so pritty. Who here owns one? What is there attitude like? I have a siberian husky, I dont want a cat. But i'd like to know more about this breed. it is so pritty.

http://www.felis.net/fiorenero/img/coverpage.jpg

Karen
04-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Ann owns Oliver (http://catoftheday.com/archive/2002/March/30.html) a persian who was Cat of the Day in March last year. You could PM her with any specific questions, but for general "what they're like" info, do a search on http://CatoftheDay.com for Persian!

caralynn529
04-14-2003, 01:16 PM
I own a persian. Well, she's a himalayan, which is just a type of persian. Himmies are basically all persian characterisitics except for their colorings - they take on the color points of siamese, but every other aspect of them is due to their persian breed...

Isabelle was cat of the day on april 9th...

The persian breed is generally laid back and very quiet, unlike the siamese. But my research has told me that Himmies are a little more crazy than regular persians...

I've been told that Persians are very people-friendly cats and that they like to be right where their human is at all times, but I tend to think that's true of almost all cats! Isabelle is very much a people kitty, following me around wherever I go, but she's not big on being held (only when I first get home will she allow me to pick her up and hold her!). Most persians are lap cats, but not my Isabelle - I attribute this to her Himmie side!

The main outstanding characteristic of persians is their hair and their "smooshed" faces...Isabelle has a "doll face" which isn't as "smooshed" looking as the "extreme" faces. She requires daily grooming to release any dead hair that will lead to matting...

That's my persian in a nutshell! They are absolutely stunning cats and I've completely fallen in love with mine! Isabelle's my first...

-Cara

bluekat
04-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Persians are gorgeous! I have 5! Well, only one lives with me. My himmy, a blue point. They are sadi to be lap cats, but mine aren't always;) They are quiet, and like caralynn said, himmies are more crazy! Just like my himmy, hee hee!

cocker_luva
04-15-2003, 07:10 PM
i used to own a persian/siamese mix. he had grey tabby markings and was semi-long hair. so beautiful.

petcraz
04-26-2003, 09:01 PM
I have an white exotic shorthair, which is a shorthair persian. He is so awsome, I got him at a cat show. :cool: He will take walks like a dog. Follows us all over the neighborhood. I have 3 small children and he is great with them. Lets them do any thing, doesn't seem to bother him at all.

slick
04-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Well, most of you know about my Max, Flame Point. Contrary to what caralynn529 was saying Max is not very people oriented at all. In fact he's quite skiddish of strangers. Definitely a one-owner cat he is. I have also been told that Persians and Himmy's have nasal and breathing problems because of the squishy facies but I've never experienced that at all. If given the choice, I'm not sure if I would adopt another Persian, but then, it's the cat that chooses you. Right?? And one look into those dreamy eyes and I'd melt.