PDA

View Full Version : Kind of Mad...

NoahsMommy
04-13-2003, 09:18 PM
David and I went to San Diego this weekend to see his sister and her hubby (and her pregnant tummy!) My friend, who has four cats and is as cat crazy as we are, or so I thought, watched the furkids.

I left, as always, explicit instructions. Especially with Micah on meds and Livvy on her new diet food.

We got home and found two spots of Micah throw up (can tell by color) and the frozen fish food was left out. :mad: Not that she had to clean it up, but he hasn't thrown up since last Monday...suggesting something wrong with his food or meds while we were gone.

Further investigation found Micah's syringe covered in medicine! It was crusty and gross, she didn't even wash it off after giving him three separate doses! I also found that the litter was only scooped this morning and that she left it, uncovered, in the den! The bag was wide open and the room SMELLED! (That doesn't happen in MY house!!!)

When we got home, I wanted to feed the cats. I found two bowls in the cabinent (where I told her to put all four after they were fed) that were TOTALLY full! I was very explicit in my instructions as far as how much they eat got. Livvy and Micah's bowls and another of the other bowls (for Noah, Noel or Basie) were out!

It was to the point that David and I thought something happened and that her hubby had to come over and do it. Nope....I called her and she said she did it all. I didn't want to say anything, she gets easily offended. I'll just start looking for a new cat sitter for the future!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Fuzzy317
04-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Sorry you had problems with the sitter. As I found out this weekend, friendship doesn't mean everything.

Housh
04-13-2003, 10:04 PM
i wonder how her cats are doing. :(

tikeyas_mom
04-13-2003, 10:15 PM
that is very sucky. I bet you are pritty mad eh? I would be. I hope your kitties are alrite. :(

krazyaboutkatz
04-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Kelly, I'm so sorry that she didn't follow your instructions and look after your cats properly. :( If I lived closer I would have been very happy to watch over them. I've found that sometimes friends aren't as reliable as you think. You might have to consider a pet sitting service. I sure hope that Micah is okay as well as all of the others.

Uabassoon
04-14-2003, 02:23 AM
I'm also all for pet sitting services, then again I am a pet sitter. But when I do a job I make sure that I do everything I am asked to and because I love animals so much most of the time I end up staying at a clients house even longer then they paid for just because I'm having a good time playing with the animals.
But I understand what it's like to have a friend do a bad job I had my roommate take care of my cats once and she didn't scoop out the litter box and Corkscrew poops on my bathroom floor when the litter isn't clean. And she also didn't give them and canned food, I was so upset. And it's a horrible thing to come home to from a vacation.

aly
04-14-2003, 03:16 AM
I'm sorry Kelly. What an awful thing to come home to. I'm glad you were only gone for a couple days. I bet your kitties are very happy to see you!

Soledad
04-14-2003, 03:52 AM
That sucks so much when you can't trust your friends with your pets!!:(

PayItForward
04-14-2003, 04:35 AM
I am surprised, your friends has cats herself.
How does she look after them correctly.
:(

neko1
04-14-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
I am surprised, your friends has cats herself.
How does she look after them correctly.
:(

That's what I'm wondering...

HayleyRosie
04-14-2003, 06:11 AM
So sorry to hear about your cats weekend. My husband and I are going on vacation on friday for 10 days. Hayley and Mandy are going to my parents house. I'm already giving my father instructions. I hope he remembers everything.

rosethecopycat
04-14-2003, 07:22 AM
I'm sorry.

I wish we all lived real close to one another, then we'd really get some top notch service for our cats.

Lerah021399
04-14-2003, 08:53 AM
I don't blame you for being upset. I'd be upset too. I hope that your kitties are okay and that you find someone reliable next time you go out of town. It's hard for me to find anyone to watch my kitties because Ali is diabetic and requires shots. I hope you have better luck than I do.

catmandu
04-14-2003, 09:29 AM
I am sorry too , that we dontlive closer. I babysit Cats and Kittens for a Siamese Breeder , and follow her instructions to the letter. She told me that she trusted me implitly with her Cats , some of which are worth hundreds of dollars! I am sorry that your friend wouldnt do so! What A JERK!

ramanth
04-14-2003, 09:34 AM
How horrible!!! :( :mad:

I hope Micah feels better soon. Sorry this woman couldn't understand simple directions.

Cataholic
04-14-2003, 10:07 AM
Kelly,
Sorry about the lack of care. While I know they all survived, and throw up CAN be because of poor care, also note that Micah might have been upset that you were gone. Tex will sometimes throw up for stress reasons. The dirty syringe is unacceptable. The food put away without knowing if they all had a chance to munch at their leasure is unacceptable. The kitty litter, well, some people aren't as fastidious.

I learned last summer that you have to have good care. Mom is really my only choice- close to me, and loves the pets like I do.

NOW, TODAY, start looking for a kitty sitter. Call some local vets, groomers, and get some people looked over. Don't wait for the week before the trip. You, too, deserve some time away, and you won't enjoy it if you know your kitties are getting less than the great care you two provide.

No point in bringing it up to your friend. If she cared, she would have done it differently...and you telling her your feelings isn't gonna change anything. Just know that this is a people friend only, not a pet friend.

Barbara
04-14-2003, 11:13 AM
I cannot understand how she can care for four cats. And I have made the experience that some cat sitters think, they should better leave much food....
Tigris if he eats too much will throw up quite often. You really have to give him small portions. I hope Micah is ok. It would have made me mad to find that syringe:mad:

I agree with Cataholic. Start early to find a reliable person. And the advantage with a catsitter who is not a friend is: You are her boss and if she wants the job again she better makes it ok.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-14-2003, 11:39 AM
It's always difficult having friends help out like this. Puts you in a tough position. :(

I've had a cat sitter for the last couple of years, and she's great. I started having her come in before either one of my kitties was taking medicine, and she has cheerfully accepted every new addition of instructions since then - which includes giving them each medicine with different doses, etc.

She charges $14.00 a day for two kitties, and she will also bring out mail in. She might even water the plants if I asked her to, but that hasn't been an issue.

$14.00 doesn't sound like a lot, but when you're gone on a 10 day vacation, it quickly adds up and can definitely add to the overall cost of the vacation, but to me it's worth it for the kitty's sakes. If Tubby didn't need his daily Pepcid, and they were both younger, I might consider having her come in every other day, but that's not an option anymore.

I don't know what prices will be like in CA compared to IL, but I would think they would be similar, although it would probably be more since you have more cats. However, after re-reading your post, it sounds like knowing the kitties are being taken care of to your standards would well be worth the money.

Hopefully the kitties are all ok - 'specially little Micah. I'm sure they were all happy to see you were home so things could get back to normal. :)

batgirl1980
04-14-2003, 12:37 PM
That's awful! I would be mad too. Poor little Micah. How is he doing now?

I agree with the others, start looking for a pet sitter, start with your vet for referrals, interview the pet sitter, possibly at your house with the cats present. Nothing like seeing an interaction to help you decide.

Your kitties are too important to have you worry about whether or not your instructions were followed. I know if any of us PT'ers lived close enough to you, we would have gladly pet sit (since we're all so in love with Micah anyway!), and then you wouldn't have had to come home to that!

Please update us on everybody, are they ok? How's Micah doing? I bet he's glad you're home!

I can't believe that syringe was like that! :eek: GROSS! Give Micah lots of hugs!

NoahsMommy
04-14-2003, 12:39 PM
Yes, the new kitty-sitter search will begin today! Most definitely!

After furthur thought, David and I really think that her hubby came by on Sunday. There were things that she just wouldn't do...she's watched our cats perfectly for two years. But still, for her to send him to do it and not own up to it is not right. :( We are really good friends, so it really makes me sad.

I'm off to call the vet right now for any referrals they may have.

They are all doing pretty well. Fighting a bit more, but also cuddling a bit more with each other. I think our being gone helped bond Basie and Micah a little bit. :)

They were HUGE cuddle bugs last night! I think all five cats where in our room, each taking a turn sleeing on my pillow!!! :D Cuties!

NoahsMommy
04-14-2003, 12:56 PM
Just called the vet after looking at pet-sitter.biz and found out that most of the techs and receptionists pet sit! Neat huh?

They are all so nice there and know who my cats are, even by name! I've been impressed with them about that. :)

batgirl1980
04-14-2003, 01:14 PM
Well thats GREAT news that the techs and receptionists Pet Sit.. they would definetely do a good job, they know you're babies and are well aware of what each one needs :)

Yeah, I think your being away helped Micah and Basie too.. they were probably like "Oh no! our meowmiez gone! And WUT iz diz ladee doin heer? Shez not doin diz right! We must stick togefer till meowmie getz back heer to fix all diz and make it right!" :D

And then by the time you got back, they forgot that they were supposed to just TOLERATE or IGNORE each other.. and were soo excited you were back, that it was LETS HUG MEOWMIE TIME! lol

I am glad they are ok though, and very glad that your kitty sitting seach is going easy for you! :D

NoahsMommy
04-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by batgirl1980
Well thats GREAT news that the techs and receptionists Pet Sit.. they would definetely do a good job, they know you're babies and are well aware of what each one needs :)

Yeah, I think your being away helped Micah and Basie too.. they were probably like "Oh no! our meowmiez gone! And WUT iz diz ladee doin heer? Shez not doin diz right! We must stick togefer till meowmie getz back heer to fix all diz and make it right!" :D

And then by the time you got back, they forgot that they were supposed to just TOLERATE or IGNORE each other.. and were soo excited you were back, that it was LETS HUG MEOWMIE TIME! lol

I am glad they are ok though, and very glad that your kitty sitting seach is going easy for you! :D
Yea, I was really suprised it only took five minutes. We really are lucky. :)

You should have seen Basie and Micah laying together last night...in fact, I took pictures that I'll post tonight. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Wow, that's great that you already know these people, and they know your cats, and they pet sit! How lucky to find good people on the first phone call. :) Now at least you know they'll be properly taken care of so you don't have to worry about them while you're away. :)

jenluckenbach
04-14-2003, 05:20 PM
It is a shame that your friend couldn't just admit to you that she did not want to do this.....BEFORE she committed to it.

Miss Meow
04-14-2003, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry that your friend didn't do the right thing by you. I suppose it's good that you found out on a short catsit and not when you were away for a longer period. I hope Micah is feeling better now :)

kimlovescats
04-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Any type of business relationship (paid or unpaid) is always a "no no" with family or friends!!!! I learned this lesson the hard way ... sounds like you did too! SORRY!!!!:rolleyes:

shais_mom
04-14-2003, 10:44 PM
That would make me very mad too. :mad:
But I am glad they are ok :(
Big relief that you found a new sitter!

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Bad news and good news all in one thread....:rolleyes:
Too bad that happened with your friend... it always stinks when a friend lets you down..(in big AND small ways). But hey who better for a sitter than someone who can administer help if it is needed.
I like it too when doctors and others take the time to remember my name. When I had my wisdom teeth out and I went back for a checkup..(to make sure everything healed up o.k.) the receptionist remembered my name... that made me feel good. If they care enough to remember your name... than they care about helping you.
:D
*KISS THE KITTIES FOR ME*

smokey the elder
04-19-2003, 08:29 AM
Whether you're using a professional or volunteer pet sitter, you should right up a protocol for them to follow. Print out a checklist for each cat for each day; have them check everything off. (I work in pharma, can you tell?:p )

moosmom
04-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Noahsmommy,

That really sucks that your friend let you down. What really bothered me was the dirty syringe. We're talking about your cats health here. Totally unacceptable.

As far as calling her on it, you're probably right about upsetting her. And like Johanna said, if she was that great a friend, she would've done what was expected of her. If she should ask why you got another sitter, THEN I'd be honest with her.

Vet techs and assistants are GREAT pet sitters. Not only can they care for your pets, but if an emergency arises, they'll know what to do.

God forbid if something happened to one of your cats while you were gone. That dirty syringe really has me hopping mad :mad:

carole
04-20-2003, 03:14 PM
I do hope you find someone or place that is reliable for your cats, a real shame, i guess your friendship will be a little different from now on, i know i would feel rather annoyed and even if i said nothing i am sure it would effect our friendship.
I choose a cattery for my cats, as u all know they are indoor/outdoor, so a sitter is not suitable, i carefully checked them all out in my city, and got referred by my sister n law for this one, its in the country, no dogs, less stress for the cats, and it is always so clean,no smells, he has a lovely outdoor area for the cats with sun umbrellas, i have always been pleased when i pick them up, they always look in the same condition as i left them, the cattery owner takes time to know the cats and u can tell he really likes them, in summer he has a fan going as well.
I still hate leaving them, and taking them to a different enviroment,as i know they still stress, and lexie is one i really will hate to leave, ash is getting used to it now.
My cattery pencarrow cattery charges 7.50 dollars a day per cat, or 8.50 for one for standard unit, as we only ever go away for a few days i use the standard unit. I can provide my own food if i want up to me, but he has all the good stuff, he serves biscuits in the morning and red meat at night.

NoahsMommy
04-21-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by smokey the elder
Whether you're using a professional or volunteer pet sitter, you should right up a protocol for them to follow. Print out a checklist for each cat for each day; have them check everything off. (I work in pharma, can you tell?:p )
That's the thing that made me mad too, I leave explicit instructions for each cat...they are almost to the point of insulting someone's intelligence, but I want to make sure they are understood.

Oh well, I'm just glad its over and we found an even better person to watch the cats. I'm actually wondering if I should even add any effort to this relationship...I've decided not to call her and see how long it takes for her to initiate a call. I also learned something sickening last night about this whole situation.

We were talking about this with my parents at dinner last night and my mom said, "Well, is her hubby the type to take out his anger on the cats?" (They work together and haven't been getting along lately.) David said YES!!!!! I couldn't beleive it. How sick can a person be????? :mad: :mad: He will NEVER set foot in my house again! :mad: :mad: :mad:

carole
04-21-2003, 02:47 PM
oh dear, oh dear, not a revelation you wanted to hear, but maybe just as well eh, i think that friendship i on its way out by the sounds of it, and maybe just as well, he probably is the type to boot the cats when he is annoyed, some people, well it was not a good experience for you thats for sure, but at least you know now. good luck with finding new sitters