PDA

View Full Version : What operating system do you have?

slleipnir
04-13-2003, 05:36 PM
What operating system do you have and what do you think of it? I have windows 2000. I was just curious to know, my friend has ME and says she doesn't have things like windows explorer and stuff like that..anyone else?

kingrattus
04-13-2003, 05:43 PM
I had win2k for 1 day until it drove me mad cause it didn't work, so I'm back to XP & its fairly good, it does what I want & it has movie maker

aly
04-13-2003, 05:47 PM
I have ME and I do have Windows Explorer. Maybe your friend just couldn't find it or something?

I HATE ME though. Blah.

slleipnir
04-13-2003, 05:51 PM
My dad says ME is one of (if not the worst) operating systems..I was wondering about that..I've only used windows 95, 98 and 2000..my brother has Xp

jenluckenbach
04-13-2003, 06:49 PM
windows 95

I told you not to laugh! :o

mugsy
04-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Windows 2000 professional. I love it...it very rarely crashes.

babolaypo65
04-13-2003, 08:20 PM
Well, I'll be the first...I use a Mac, OS X. LOVE it. My whole dept at work uses Mac, which is great since I was already a diehard Mac user....

The Cat Factory
04-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Windows 98 :)

popcornbird
04-13-2003, 11:03 PM
OMG! You are all backwards! ;););) LOL J/K :D

We have XP on all computers! What's a computer without XP? Now I HATE other windows! XP is the best. Its so different! :D

XP NEVER crashes! :D If something happens, you restart the computer and it fixes itself up before re-entering windows. :D

Kfamr
04-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
OMG! You are all backwards! ;););) LOL J/K :D

We have XP on all computers! What's a computer without XP? Now I HATE other windows! XP is the best. Its so different! :D

XP NEVER crashes! :D If something happens, you restart the computer and it fixes itself up before re-entering windows. :D

Agreed! Ugh my computer in my room has 98 or 95 and i HATE it. This computer has XP. It's so much faster... and hasn't crashed *knock on wood*

All Creatures Great And Small
04-14-2003, 12:33 AM
(Kfamr - your sig cracks me up - I love Chris Rock)

I have Windows XP Professional, and while it doesn't "crash" like ME did, it is still pretty aggravating at times. Since it's the Pro version, it has an administrator and then user accounts. Sometimes when I install programs as the administrator, they aren't available to all the users on the computer, and the whole professional aspect of it is hard for me to learn. (I spend an awful lot of time on the Microsoft support website ;) :rolleyes: :o)

When I first got my PC 2 years ago, it came with ME preinstalled, which was the "state of the art" back then. For the longest time I thought I was incredibly techno-impaired or something, since I couldn't get stuff to work properly and kept getting the dreaded "blue screen" crashes, but then I found out that Windows ME is just JUNK.

But, if you're using older versions of Windows and they're working out for you, why bother upgrading? Some folks just don't need all the bells and whistles that XP has, although I personally like playing with all the "toys".

04-14-2003, 05:26 AM
We used to have Windows ME; that system was awful!
Since we have Windows XP professional, no more complains here! IT IS SUPER!!

Karen
04-14-2003, 07:20 AM
Macintosh! Have been a Mac user since 1984/5, not exactly sure when my little brother got his machine, but I saw it demonstrated before it came out, and said "That's It! That's how computers SHOULD be!" And I was right, as "Windows" is pretty Macintosh-like, WYSIWYG and GUI and all!

Albea
04-14-2003, 08:29 AM
My first computer, 14 years ago, was an Apple IIC Plus which I used for 10 years without one single problem. When I decided it was time to get a new one, my choice was a Mac Power G3. Needless to say I'm a Mac fan and wouldn't use anything else.

The following may be controversial enough to be sent to the "Dog House," but it's very funny and Bill Gates asked for it:

"At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 miles to the gallon." In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.
4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought "Car95"
or "CarNT." But then you would have to buy more seats.
6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five per cent of the roads.
7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.
8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.
9. The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.
10. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grab hold of the radio antenna.
11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need them nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50% or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.
12. Everytime GM introduced a new model car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
13. You'd press the "start" button to shut off the engine."

It looks like some people at GM have a sense of humor.

;)

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-14-2003, 10:23 AM
I run several OS's at work: Win XP, Win 2000, Win Nt 4.0, and Unix. At home, I have Win XP.

Tina
04-14-2003, 10:39 AM
We use to have Windows 98' but now we use Windows Me'

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-14-2003, 11:55 AM
I have XP Pro and I love it! Terry has '98 on his computer and there are somethings that he asks me how to do, and I have to rethink because XP makes it so easy where he has to go through more steps with the '98.

I loved the XP Pro at work so much, that I gladly payed extra to get it on my laptop. If/when Terry gets a new computer though, he won't need the Pro and will get the XP Home version - which I'm not so sure I'll like. :rolleyes: :)

ChrisH
04-14-2003, 04:52 PM
Windows 98

smokey the elder
04-20-2003, 08:10 AM
We ugraded to Windows XP, bought a new hard drive, and got cable all within a space of 2 weeks.:)

Felicia's Mom
04-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Windows 98.

RubyMutt
04-20-2003, 05:49 PM
I have Windows XP - I love it! :D

krazyaboutkatz
04-20-2003, 06:06 PM
I've only owned a computer since December of 2001 so I've only had Windows XP. I love it. I know that my Dad has Windows 98 and his is much slower than mine. :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
04-20-2003, 06:14 PM
Compaq.

AmylovesMisty
04-20-2003, 06:57 PM
i got WIN XP home edition.......its way kewl becuz my mom can have her stuff and i can have mine!