PDA

View Full Version : how many ppl here havent rescued.

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 10:42 PM
have you rescued a pet from a shelter?

I have rescued 1 bunny, Angel, may she rest in peace. :(..

neko1
04-13-2003, 07:04 AM
Both Neko and Pumpkin were shelter cats. Cookie was a stray we caught and Tama was given to me by a client.

bluekat
04-13-2003, 01:10 PM
I haven't rescued any.........but a long time ago, in my neighbour's backyard, their dog was trying to kill a tiny baby bird, and we rescued it. But then, the bird left, but came back to visit often. Well, I think its the same bird.
I decided that when I grow up and have a place of my own, I'll maybe work in an animal shelter or a vet clinic, and I know I'll rescue LOTS of animals. If we get another cat, I'll try to get a rescue cat.

jenluckenbach
04-13-2003, 01:58 PM
all the cats and the mice are rescues.

krazyaboutkatz
04-14-2003, 12:17 AM
I've rescued all 3 of my cats and also my RB Pepper. :) Storm came from a shelter and the others came from other rescue organizations.

Uabassoon
04-14-2003, 02:17 AM
Both of my cats are rescue kitties

PayItForward
04-14-2003, 07:56 AM
My three are all shelter cats.

primabella
04-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Mick's not from a shelter. I feel guilty but I know once I get older, I will most probably rescue all my pets. We did check all the shelters and ads and everything before getting to the breeder though.

I congratulate all who have saved a life. Good job :cool:

iceyshiver21
04-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Rescued:
11 dogs
10 cats
a horse
Guinia

Non Rescued:
6 Rabbits
my rat

Dakota's Mommy
04-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Sierra was our shelter rescue!

sammi
04-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Buddy was from the shelter and Abby was rescued from the streets.

slleipnir
04-18-2003, 12:28 AM
I bought Jo from a pet store (horrible place) but I was younger then and didn't realize it till after. I rescued Zeke, and thats definitly the way I'm going from now on :]

cocker_luva
04-28-2003, 03:53 PM
i've only had one dog though, unless you count buying fish and hermit crabs from petsmart rescuing.:confused:

bookworm
05-12-2003, 04:39 PM
Of course! My two kitties were rescue cats from my local vets office. It took them a week or so to trust us and come out though. I had to sit on top of the bed where they were hiding and reassure them we were going to hurt them and that their other family loved them didn't want to give them up.

Oh, and I rescued my goldfish from my h.s.'s anatomy lab! It makes me so happy to see him swimming around his little bowl. I *know* he wouldn't be alive if I hadn't brought him home that Friday.

wolfsoul
05-17-2003, 07:27 PM
I've never rescued before...

But when I'm older, I want to own a shelter!

And boy, will I ever be rescuing alot of ratties ;)

AngelZoo
05-21-2003, 10:26 AM
I have rescued/pulled/fostered more times then I can count now adays! :)

I Love Brian, Forever <3
05-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Cats:
Hannah & Simon - Humane Society in Georgia
Mullay - My brother's teacher was giving them away
Sweetness - Saved from a breeder who was going to put him down because he couldn't show anymore... he gained weight

Dogs:
Rose - Bought from breeder, all of these little rottweiler puppies were living under a small porch
Molli - Saved from the streets near one of my middle schools, she was abused, as many, many injuries were visible and she was later diagnosed with the mange
Bart - Saved from breeder who stopped caring for him after his mate died
Zoe - Saved from the streets in Georgia, a pig (cop) was holding her by the neck asking if he was "sure my mom wanted her, cause she's a ""mean one"" "

Rodents:
Riley - Rescued from lady who was just going to "throw him away," because of a growth on his mouth
Chester, Noah & A.J. - Bought from PetSmart
Spike - Bought from PetSmart

Iguana:
Iggie - Was given free from a fish store due to the excess amount of iguanas they had

GoldenRetrLuver
05-26-2003, 12:56 AM
My last dog, Bandit, an aussie was rescued from a shelter, both of my cats, are also from the shelter

IttyBittyKitty
06-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I've never rescued before...

But when I'm older, I want to own a shelter!

And boy, will I ever be rescuing alot of ratties ;)

Kitties for me!!

I would love nothing more to own my very own no-kill shelter. At the very least, when I own my own home, it will be a mini-shelter for as many fosters as I can rescue!! My very own "no-kill mini-shelter." Imagine!

I have never bought a pet from a store or a breeder. All of our animals have been rescues, born from existing pets, or out of the newspaper since I was a child :D

Tonya
06-05-2003, 02:04 PM
My late Rosco was from a shelter. Dusty the aussie mix was shelter. My cats were shelter. Roxy was from a sleddog rescue. Teddy came from a breeder. I have been working on a beautiful long haired white stray that comes to our house the past 2 1/2 years. She shows up for weeks at a time then she'll leave for months. I don't know where she goes. I trapped her and spayed her, but she's still far to wild. I can't get within 10 feet of her.

NoahsMommy
06-28-2003, 02:37 AM
Allof our cats we got from the shelter or a rescue organization, except for Noah. Someone at work let their cat have kittens and he was one of them. So...is that a rescue?? Guess not, huh? Oh well, five are, one isn't. :)

Pam
06-28-2003, 05:53 AM
January 16, 2003 was a very happy day for me. That's the day I brought my Ripley home from the shelter. I have had him just over five months now and it seems like he's been here since he was a puppy. He has blended into the household just beautifully. He was a stray when he was picked up and brought to the shelter and was covered with long thick mats (you couldn't see his eyes or feet :eek: ) and very skinny. He had to be shaved down to his skin to get all of those painful mats off but he almost has a respectable "poodle look" about him now (he just needs to grow his "poodle ears" back) and has put on 5 lbs. He is a little character and I love him to pieces! :)

krazyaboutkatz
06-28-2003, 07:39 PM
I need to update my first post. Now I have another cat Sky and he came from the Humane Society. He was a stray and his fur was so badly matted that they had to shave him. I've only had him for 3 weeks now and he's fitting in very nicely. I'm so glad that I was able to give him loving a forever home. :)

dog&horselover
07-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Well My family took two stray cats. Fluffy and Milo, Fluffy is longer here we think a cyote got him, but he was old anyway. Milo is still here though. When we got him he was a mean little man, growlin and hissing and scratching whenever you came close. Now though he is almost the sweetest cat we've got. He also can get really anoying, Like he won't leave you alone. So we don't pet him unless we have plenty of time and we want to get droled on.
:)

Marianna;)

MammaMangorin
07-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Have rescue a lot of Guinea Pigs :)

A petshop had 18 animals in a small cage.. :( It was 50/50 Guineapigs/rabbits :(

bnormal
07-30-2003, 07:54 AM
"have you rescued a pet from a shelter"?

my bad...I voted that I had in fact rescued...when the truth is I "adopted" from a rescue...

:D :D :D

ILoveReptiles
07-31-2003, 11:33 AM
My Ball Python, Faye, is a rescue.

Kfamr
07-31-2003, 12:23 PM
Yes. I adopted both of my babies from the shelter. I also encourage people to do it everyday. I made my brother adopt his kitten there, as well as Lauren adopt her two babies.

ChrisH
07-31-2003, 03:47 PM
Ebby my cat is from a shelter but if we are counting rescues as stray, abandoned or give-aways, I have shared my homes and life with more than a couple.

Going waaay back, there was Judy the wire-haired terrier. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p64465b471fb427ada83aa230fb5bf63a/fcf5a78d.jpg.thumb.jpg She was the first dog we had, a stray that found her way in to our lives. She was a real sweetie.

Next was Sandy,http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p8429c076b05b3e13b37efb9b7362d547/fcf5a78b.jpg.thumb.jpg again a stray, a mix of what we never knew, nor cared! He was a lovely boy.

Then there was Lester a jack russell dog and Scobie the cat (the only cat I had any experience of before Ebby). They were both unwanted and given over to us, Lester first and Scobie later. My lasting memory of those two is of them playing together.

Amigo the dog was another stray, but, sadly, I only spent a little time with him. He was a lovely Lab cross who was sick when we found him. I named him Amigo because I so wanted him to keep him as my friend. But it wasn’t to be. He was too sick with distemper for the vet to do anything to help him and he was put to sleep. (We are talking over 30 years ago here; veterinary science was not anywhere as good as it is now).

Fast forward a few years and we come to Blue a black lab/shepherd cross. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p374c2fb3d00d776b54f5470ebb32f0d6/fd69aa6b.jpg.thumb.jpg He was unwanted and given to my brother-in-law, who in turn, knowing how we loved dogs, brought him to us, a little scrap of a pup, dirty and full of worms. He grew into a lovely, michevious and very clever boy!

Lastly we have Duchess, a small sheltie type cross, again brought to us by my brother-in-law, this time he had found her abandoned and obviously unloved. She was another pup n an awful mess, thin, full of worms and with a bad case of mange. We got her all cleaned up and sorted, took us three weeks! – And that wasn’t easy, keeping our other, naturally curious, dogs, Duke, Blue and Max, well away from her while we did! I really wanted to keep her, but after a while, one extra dog in the situation I was in became a bit too much for me, so we found her a really good new home. I hated to see her go, but I knew it was the right thing to do. (Btw, we did have her spayed as well as cleaned up, had to with three entire boy dogs in the home too!)

And that’s all folks! Except that if I ever get another dog he or she will surely be from a shelter.

Chris

pitc9
07-31-2003, 07:07 PM
Toby my 9 year old GSD Mix (who lives at my parents house) was from a Humane Society.

We got Sierra in Jan 2002 from a GSD rescue, she was a stray that was picked up. She had mange and had it so bad my hubby and I got it!!!

We got Buddy in Dec 2002 from a kill shelter, they had already kept him two weeks longer than they normaly keep dogs!! I guess they knew I was comming for him!!!