PDA

View Full Version : white cats.

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 10:29 PM
is it true that all or most white cats are deff or blind? I once had a white kitten *forget it's name* and I had to take it back because it was 100% Deff, we had a huge dog at the time and our cat had to be totally aware of what was going on around it.

Cheshirekatt
04-12-2003, 10:47 PM
My all white cat Elvis is neither deaf nor blind. He doesn't have blue eyes, tho. However we are going to have to have one of his ears amputated because of a growth they think might be cancerous. White cats' ears are very susceptible to this do to sunburn.

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 10:54 PM
White cats' ears are very susceptible to this do to sunburn.
really, wow. Poor kitty, I wish him luck in his operation..

petsbestern
04-12-2003, 11:01 PM
I have a white cat and she can hear everything! LOL She doesn't have blue eyes though. Her eyes are hazel-ish/yellowish/brownish. Can't exactly describe the color but its kind of like Lut's Inka's. A little lighter.

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 11:04 PM
well my kitty was a short haired pure white cat with cristal blue eyes and HUGE ears. :).. She would always sleep, nothing would wake her. inless he like pushed her over or something. it was harsh sad.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Not all white cats are deaf or blind. We actually have a few here - Dandy, Marius, Eddy - that a perfectly normal....well, except for Eddy. His dad would say that Eddy is anything but normal, but I'm sure he's normal in the hearing and seeing department anyway. ;) :)

White cats do have a tendency towards blindness or deafness, and it seems to be those with the blue eyes that are most prone, but like everything else in life, just because some are deaf or blind - or both - doesn't mean they all are.

Also, deaf and blind kitties can lead relatively normal lives. They should not be allowed outside for obvious reasons, but they can do quite well indoors. However, it sounds like it was a wise decision on your part to take the kitty back because of the big dog situation. :)