PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know about iguanas

skeezix' mom
04-12-2003, 06:03 PM
I recently inherited 2 new iguanas to my family. They are 4 years old according to the previous owner. They are the size of a juvenile (about a year and a half) This worries me because neither have matured as they should have. the female is not laying eggs and the male has never matured to the point of fertilizing anyway. I'm not sure what to do to help them or if there is help for them. They have not been mistreated except for the cage size. They are both friendly. We gave them both their baths and cut their nails and they both are healthy eaters. They just don't seem mature is all. They are loveable and very affectionate. We just want them to be happy and healthy. Is it a problem for them to be so small or will they be ok? Can they mature from this point or is it too late.

wolfsoul
04-12-2003, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure as to when how large they should be, but I know that some types of lizards can permanantly stunt their growth according to how large their environment is. If they live in a small cage, chances are they will be small. When in a large environment, they can grow very big. I'm not sure if this applies to iguanas as well as some other reptiles, but it may give you some idea. :)

Jessica12345
04-13-2003, 08:32 AM
I dont know anything about iguanas but maybe you should take a trip to the vet?:confused: ;)

JGuitaristR
04-13-2003, 11:14 AM
All female iguanas do not lay eggs. The male won't fertilize if there's nothing to fertilize. If their scales appear to have black around them, they have matured. As long as the base of their tail is pretty thick and they are walking fine and they are eating, they should be okay. You should bring them to the vet to get x-rays to see if they are calcium deficient in their bones and just for a check up. Best of luck.