PDA

View Full Version : horrid pet store >:(

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 05:12 PM
I took back coles mouse today because it was eating him self and he wanted a different one. so they got another mouse for him and then they put coles mouse cashually back with the others. grr...

primabella
04-12-2003, 05:14 PM
I am confused. :confused: Who is coles mouse? He is eating himself? Who put coles mouse casually back with the others? I just don't get it...:confused:

Jessica12345
04-12-2003, 05:14 PM
im confused too....

BTW... is that the pet store your giving your gerbil to for a little while?:(

Jessica12345
04-12-2003, 05:15 PM
ooooooooooooo isnt cole your brother? if so i think i get it... lol

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 05:19 PM
sorry I was just mad. lol Cole is my brother, he is nine.

yes it is the same pet store that my gerbil is at right now being cared for, I hope ...

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 05:20 PM
and yes he was eating him slef. like he had lil scabs right from being housed with other males. and then he chewed them and they were HUGE gashes.

Jessica12345
04-12-2003, 05:22 PM
OMG!:mad: and they put him back with the others? i personally think you should go there now and take your gerbil back. :mad:

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 05:23 PM
I cant, it is like half an hour away. I have no way their.

wolfsoul
04-12-2003, 05:55 PM
ahk, I hope they let me work there...I would set them straight...:mad:

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 06:03 PM
i know so would I, did you see them catch the budgies? it was evil .. they scared them to death, with that huge net they used.

wolfsoul
04-12-2003, 06:07 PM
No doubt..they should socialize them before they sell them. That way they wouldn't have to deal with a million budgies flying everywhere and people would, I'm sure, prefer the performance of hand-tamed budgies peacefully jumping on to the employees hand ;) they would also sell alot better..

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 06:36 PM
For sure, man. it is lame. at total pet they are better with their budgies I think, because they are clipped and they all come on to you if you have your hand in there long enough. it is really cute. The paraleets at pet cetera are wild.

wolfsoul
04-12-2003, 06:44 PM
They are wild?! I didn't know that...hmm...:eek:

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 06:50 PM
No they arnt literaly wild, lol.. they just act wild.

CathyBogart
04-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
No doubt..they should socialize them before they sell them. That way they wouldn't have to deal with a million budgies flying everywhere and people would, I'm sure, prefer the performance of hand-tamed budgies peacefully jumping on to the employees hand ;) they would also sell alot better..

That is RIDICULOUS! Do you know how many budgies we go through? We go through about 25/week, so we certainly wouldn't have time to hand tame all of them. Plus, we would then have to charge more for the time we paid our employees to work with the birds and nobody would buy them because they could get one for less than half the price elsewhere and have it tamed withing two weeks.

I personally catch them with my hands, but not before a LOT of fluttering wildly about. A net is a perfectly good solution for someone too timid to catch them with their hands.

wolfsoul
04-12-2003, 09:10 PM
They don't get that many birds though. They get alot at once, but through long periods.

CathyBogart
04-12-2003, 09:13 PM
It's still unfair to place such expectation on a place like that.

wolfsoul
04-12-2003, 09:26 PM
What's unfair is that they have hundreds of volunteers come in, pleading with them to socialize animals, and that they turn down every last one. It's stupid. Maybe people would pay a little more money for animals that take less time to like them.

CathyBogart
04-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Did you ever stop to think that perhaps there are legality issues in a pet store using "volunteers" to socialize their animals?

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 10:06 PM
I dont even know what to think.

It looks so evil the way the pet stores spring a panic on all the poor budgies when catching them, poor things have a heart attck just about.

at total pet they are much nicer to their parakeets, they have a bax and they place it down and they scoop up the bird wanted with both hands and place it in the box. it is so much easier then letting the birds fly wildly around. all the birds at total pet have their wings clipped, it is way easier to catch them.

luckies4me
04-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Did you ever stop to think that perhaps there are legality issues in a pet store using "volunteers" to socialize their animals?

Well said!!;)

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 10:10 PM
legality issues ? name some? I dought their it is illegal for a store to hire volenteers. :rolleyes:

luckies4me
04-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
legality issues ? name some? I dought their it is illegal for a store to hire volenteers. :rolleyes:

What if the "volunteer" got injured while handling an animal? They have insurance and could get sued by those people. It's not a chance most pet shops would want to take. Most people do not know how to properly handle an animal. Most of them mean well but in the end it could cause more damage. The stores hire employees who do that job, that is what they are there for. They don't have room for "volunteers" to be running around the store trying to tame animals.

CathyBogart
04-12-2003, 10:18 PM
Don't roll your eyes at me! It would not be legal for a store to have someone doing "Work" and not be getting paid. It doesn't matter that the work is enjoyable, it could still be considered work.

We don't clip our budgies because they live in a 5'x4'x2' aviary in the store. We've had clipped budgies in there, and they get stressed when they try to fly from one end to the other and fall off their perches. WAY more stressed than after 30 seconds of chasing with a net.

We also have a lot of customers who don't want their birds clipped, or who want us to leave the first few flight feathers to preserve the "natural" look of the bird.

Don't imply that I'm evil because I panic a few birds when trying to find one a good home.

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 10:51 PM
I am not implying anything. just saying what I think about the matter.

carole
04-12-2003, 11:05 PM
well in new zealand having volunteers would not be a problem, u cant just sue people when u feel like it here, for anything , it cost big bucks to do that and most people just cant afford it, of course the down side of it , is if u get cut up bad by some doctor u cant sue him really, it would cost millions.
I think most pet shops do their best, i have not seen a bad one here yet and i do take notice.
i think tikeyas mom was just making a point on something she/he observed.

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 11:13 PM
yes, this pet store is a very irresponsible, selling sick animals, using pine bedding, housing solitary animals, it is rediculas, I am not saying ALL pet stores are bad wolf chan, your might not be, nut this particular one is, ok!!!

CathyBogart
04-12-2003, 11:26 PM
Fine, but I don't see anything wrong with housing flighted budgies, or catching them with a net.

tikeyas_mom
04-12-2003, 11:37 PM
fine, u can have your opinion and I'll have mine, ok? ok.

wolfsoul
04-13-2003, 12:01 AM
I already talked to the petshop about volunteering. They said the manager has issues with some "BC" place, I'm not sure what the first two initials are, but it ends in "BC," and that the manager doesn't want to make it worse by not paying people. I'm not sure what this means, but they did not say anything about it being illegal.

CathyBogart
04-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Perhaps not necessarily illegal, but he would be creating frustrating problems for himself by allowing such a thing. From looking at the way both of the pet stores I have worked at run, I understand and sympathize. He's got a LOT of stuff going on, he's extremely busy all the time, and it's just too much to think about one more thing to deal with. Let it go, it's nothing personal.

Desert Arabian
04-13-2003, 09:51 PM
I have been gone all this weekend, up at our cottage, so I am trying to catch up on Pet Talk....

:confused: I am confused, if you think this pet store is so horrid why did you give the hamster back to that pet store, instead of taking it to a nicer place, and why did you buy the hamster from the (horrid) pet store. :confused: (Not ment to be offensive)

tikeyas_mom
04-13-2003, 10:01 PM
I never bought a hamster, I bought a gerbil :D.

I bought him because they way he was treated, he looked so unhappy.

picture this:

lil lone male gerbil, tilt head. in a 30 gallon tank, with pine bedding, a water dish not a bottle, no cardboard ither.

I had to save him.

His new home picture it:

Unsented toilet paper as bedding piled up to the rim just about. a ten gallon tank. tonz of cardboard to chew, and endless supply of fresh water in a bowl + bottl.

I am confused, if you think this pet store is so horrid why did you give the hamster back to that pet store, instead of taking it to a nicer place, and why did you buy the hamster from the (horrid) pet store.

I didnt take him back, I took a mouse back. I took my gerbil to the vet that was in the store. I had to give him to the manager though. then the manager would take him to the vet. The reson I did this was because I didnt have the money to pay for the vet. The store said they would pay for medical attention for selling me a sick animal. :)

is that all cleared up now?? :D

Desert Arabian
04-13-2003, 10:54 PM
Oh yea, I thought it was a hamster, I ment mouse.

CathyBogart
04-14-2003, 01:21 AM
You do realize that by "saving" him you are only encouraging the pet store to do the same with more gerbils right? You may have made a difference to Sage, but at the price of another equally precious life.

Oh, and I called up work and talked to them about volunteers...There would certainly be a legal mess if people were "working" without being paid.

wolfsoul
04-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Someone else would have bought him. You may think that by not buying this gerbil, you are saving more gerbils, but do you think others are as equally educated, that they would do the same?

It doesn't have to be a legal mess. The other petshop gets volunteers all the time. I'm going to be volunteering there in the summer until I can get a real job at Petcetera. Papers can be signed..

CathyBogart
04-14-2003, 07:15 PM
Yes someone else would have bought him, BUT you would still be costing the store a sale by not giving them the money. It would still make a difference, however small.