PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Sun Conure is jealous!

Lori
04-12-2003, 10:27 AM
We have recently purchased a Sun Conure. She (?) is less than a year old and seems to really love my husband. She will willingly fly across the room from her perch to see him. However, when I walk in, she will fly over to me and bite me really hard. At first, she seemed to like me, but has now developed a special love for my husband and doesn't want me or the children around them. Is this jealousy, and if so, how do we stop her from this behavior. She draws blood when she bites. Normally, she is a sweetheart and has just started this behavior in the last 2 days. HELP!

Karen
04-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Wear gloves, and continue to handle her (leather gardening/workman's gloves) as you would have normally, make sure any treats come from you or the kids ... any of the "bird folk" want to help with this one?

popcornbird
04-13-2003, 02:06 AM
No, its not jealousy. Your bird has simply bonded to your husband and not as much to you. Lucky him huh? :p Birds are animals that often develop a close bond to one "favorite" family member. In your case, it seems that your bird is more attached to your husband. I have had my birds for several years and got them when they were only 3 months old. Although they have bonded with each and every member of the family, they have their favorites. Popcorn (lutino cockatiel in my sig) has a strong bond with my older brother. He loves my parents and I very much also, but he just goes insane when he sees my brother. He calls him, runs to him from a mile away, gives him 10 billion kisses making a kissing sound at everyone and just goes crazy. He does all that to me only when he's in the mood, but he definitely has something with my brother. My Muffin (pearl cockatiel in my sig) has the strongest bond with me. I'm the only one she will cuddle with for hours and beg for head scritchies. She always wants to be with me more than with the rest of the family. She's my cuddle-bug and is very very attached to me. If I leave her alone in the room, she cries out for me. Its so funny, but these little birds have so much personality. I believe cockatiels will still show love to other family members, but conures normally are more stubborn with one member of the family. She may never become as attached to you or the kids as she is with your husband, but if you play with her a lot and spend time with her, letting her know how much you love her, hopefully she will turn around and at least love you and become your friend. Maybe the bond will never be as strong as with your husband, but with lots of interaction, hopefully she will stop biting and come to learn that you are her friend too. Good luck, and let us know how it goes! I just LOVE sun conures, so if you can post pics of her, that will be great!
Who knows what inspires our feathered friends to choose "favorites." :rolleyes:

Lori
04-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Thanks for replying. I don't know why, but she really seems to HATE me! When I walk by her cage, she runs to it and bites the cage, wishing she could get to me. I would never hurt hurt, but I'm wondering if the woman who had her before we bought her did. She REALLY wanted to get rid of "Sunni" for some reason. The bird is less than a year old, but didn't even know how to stand on our finger when we got her. She has come a LONG way and is really a smart bird.

As far as my husband, she is totally in love. I never dreamed I'd be in competition with a bird. hehehe. He is a deputy and when he has his equipment on, the bird finds it totally amusing. She plays with his handcuffs, radio, etc... However, the peron who sends out calls over his radio is a woman and when she talks to my husband on his portable radio, the bird will scream and peck the radio in a rage. Seems she doesn't like him to turn his attention to anyone but "Miss Sunni".

I will keep trying with her, but I don't willingly offer my finger to her very much.

Thanks for replying and I'll try to post a picture later. She is a BEAUTY!:)