PDA

View Full Version : Paging sasvermont....

PayItForward
04-11-2003, 09:50 AM
I am just being nosey but I can't remember seeing an update.

How are things with your beautiful kitties ? (Or should that be one cat & one small tiger, Ti is a big boy :D)

Have you got Ti and Miley, dosed with large amounts of rescue remedy ?

Hoping things have improved greatly.

sasvermont
04-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Well, I have cut down on my beer and wine consumption for the time being.

For two nights in a row, I have been giving them rescue remedy in their water.....and also a modest dose of the anti-anxiety cream meds. in their ear.....and I must confess that last night Miley was hissing galore but we didn't have a major meltdown.

Now that the weather is nicer, Ti is spending most of his time on the porch, watching the birds.

Looking back on how long it took Miley to get used to Gabe, it will be awhile.

They are not spending unsupervised time together right now. At the beginning they were, but since the major fighting, I didn't want to risk having to have stitches etc. My house is big enough to split in two for the time being.

Ti is being really sweet but still not taking any guff from Miley. She is dishing it out all the time. She just starts screaming whenever Ti comes within 5 feet of her. I let her do the screaming last night and then finally went in the room to see what was really happening. Miley was on the bookcase (top) and Ti was playing with toys on the floor. Miley just doesn't get it!

Come on June..... I think I may name the new cat Juni!

So, on a scale of one to ten, I would say were are at a four! But only one tiny ear bite on Miley and more fur on the floor than usual!

:rolleyes:

PayItForward
04-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Roll on June.....

Juni is a lovely name for your new peacekeeper kitty. (hopefully :D)

I hope Miley comes around sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the update

Barbara
04-11-2003, 11:19 AM
Abys for sure can be arrogant. And Filou also is good in screaming before anything happened.
On the other hand -Miley has lost her brother and closest friend.
I send my love to both Ti an Miley girl and wish you strong nerves and that you don't need too much Rescue for yourself:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-11-2003, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the update SAS, I too was wondering how things were going. Must be a little better if you've cut down on your beer and wine consumption. ;) :D

I was thinking the other day that when Gabe came, Miley internalized it all and ended up with those "hot spots." Evidently this time she decided she's going to let it all out and forget that "hot spot" c**p. ;) :)

I sure hope she comes around sooner rather than later also. And I think Juni is a wonderful name for the new kitten. :)

Pam
04-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

I was thinking the other day that when Gabe came, Miley internalized it all and ended up with those "hot spots." Evidently this time she decided she's going to let it all out and forget that "hot spot" c**p. ;) :)

I was thinking along those lines too! Miley sure is a sensitive little gal. :) Some of us humans also don't adapt too well to change either so I guess we can't fault pretty Miley too much. I don't know which is worse - a Sybil episode or a hot spot outbreak! :eek: At least the Sybil episodes don't cost any $$! :D I wonder how the breweries and wineries will keep in the black if peace reigns supreme at some point up there at Camp Vermont! :D :D Here's hoping that the appearance of little Juni (I like that name too :) ) will work like a magic wand. :cool:

Barbara
04-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Of course I love the name of Juni as it is the name of Filou's fiance:D
Juni is also the German word for the month of June.

sasvermont
04-12-2003, 11:14 AM
There was a real war this morning and Miley now has a bite on her ear....I cleaned it and put some Rescue Remedy cream on it. She'll be fine. I suppose I should start checking her body for puncture wounds. Ti seems to be fine.

How else can you dose these cats with Rescue Remedy liquid? It has such an awful smell to it.....

I just cannot believe this has taken so long and has gone so far backward for us. I feel like putting them in a small container together, and letting them have at it until they settle the feud once and for all. Of course, I would never do that.

What I haven't been doing is stopping the fights. I think my next method is to squirt them with water and yell no. Maybe they will get it. I doubt it.

I am going to start drinking that Rescue stuff myself. Rescue and rum....Rescue tonic. Rescue slush. Rescue on the rocks....yes, just on the rocks!

SAS

Freckles
04-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Is it worth giving Feliway another try?

sasvermont
04-12-2003, 11:23 AM
I really don't think the Feliway had any impact on the catrs. I don't understand how it is to work. What is the theory using this stuff to stop them from fighting? Isn't Feliway to keep animals from soiling certain spots in the house? How can I use it for what I need?

Thanks! and Duh...I must be dense!
:confused:

kimlovescats
04-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Bless your heart, Sas ...... I know you are getting frustrated and I don't blame you one single bit!!! I'm not a drinker, but I think what you are going through might even drive ME to drink!!!! :eek:

Hang in there!!!! :D

Pam
04-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Gosh I had hoped for a wee bit of improvement when I checked this thread today. I am wondering what you do in the evening. Does Miley sleep with you and Ti have the run of the rest of the house? I know you are going the extra mile to make Miley feel secure and I would think that she would realize she is still Queen of Kittydom and Ti has not come to de-throne her. Is she still grooming you like crazy or has she completely gone into a snit about the whole thing? Poor SAS! :(

PayItForward
04-12-2003, 11:43 AM
SAS...

Don't forget it's only 6 weeks to June.

Maybe you need a countdown calender to the adoption of Juni 'the peacemaker' day.

SAS says though gritted teeth... just 42 days to go..grind grind

Let us know how the water pistol works.

Pam
04-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
SAS...

SAS says though gritted teeth... just 42 days to go..grind grind

While stirring the ice in her glass. :rolleyes:

lailamara
04-12-2003, 12:08 PM
SAS, the Feliway has "feel-good" pheromones that makes them think they don't have to spray or do anything to make the territory theirs. If you rubbed the stuff on them they might think they belong to each-other, or that the territory is neutral. SAS I'm grasping at straws here. I'm sorry that this is taking so long. I know my little Maya would be the same. She only gets on with Bodhi cause he's very gentle and, yes, :rolleyes: a big wuss that she can boss around. Also she's been with him all her bossy little life. I'll do some research and ask my vet when I take them for their shots what else is doable. Hand in there with a "rescue" martini with a "catnip" cigarette and maybe borrow a trained tiger to scare some sense into the both of them.:eek:

sasvermont
04-12-2003, 12:11 PM
I just remixed some water and R.R. (<---hey cute abbrev.) and I hope they both drink up. I sprayed the Feliway in a room with Ti closed in...but Miley is hanging out on top of the kitchen cabinets.....and I sprayed in her direction.

I am going out for awhile today and will keep them apart while I am gone. I am going to buy a few colored spray bottles..... I did this once before when I travelled with Miley and Graemer and I kept the spray bottles near the door to the cottage where I was staying.....so they would know not to TRY to go out....It worked...it got to the point where I would just reach for the bottle and they were off and out of the area. This is a bit different though.

Ti is wandering around meowing, I assume trying to find Miley. He is so bored with her.

Yes, Pam, Miley does sleep with me each night, under the covers and I have switched off a couple of times. And yes, she still grooms me.....

It is so funny....this situation...because both cats like me...I like them....but they hate each other......well, Miley hates Ti.

I picked up Ti on March 18th....... I should just chill. It may take months....but then there is June.....and little Juni.....I think that will be its name...Juni.........

We are having great weather today so I must get outside and begin the spring unveiling of the shrubs etc.

Rescue Remedy soup? .....

SAS

;)

Barbara
04-12-2003, 03:11 PM
No idea what I should say. {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}} to all of you.

krazyaboutkatz
04-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Sallyanne, I'm sorry to hear that Miley and Ti are still fighting. Maybe you should let them both get a catnip high. I've heard that this will calm some cats down. This is what the lady recommended that I do with Cirrus. She said that he would let you do almost anything once he had some catnip.

I also think that abys are more difficult with new cats. Although my Sunny is only half aby, he still has some issues with Cirrus. Cirrus has become quite friendly to me and both Storm and Sunny are getting jealous because of this. Storm has chased him and nipped him a few times. I've also caught Cirrus nipping Sunny a few times too. This was while I was petting and grooming Sunny.

It just takes time. I'm sure that the June kitten will help to calm both cats down. I also love the name Juni. Good luck and please keep us updated. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-14-2003, 10:02 AM
Gee, SAS, I'm just so sorry that nothing seems to be working with Miley. What a stubborn girl. ;) :( :)

The vet gave me some Feliway for T & P. He said I should spray some on a damp cloth and rub them both down with it, with the same cloth. That way they will smell like each other.

The reason I did it was because Tubby would sniff at Peanut and then start licking her. She hates it when he licks her, so she would then swat him, which he hates and the squabble would start. So the vet said I should rub Tubby down first, then Peanut, and that would make Peanut smell more like Tubby and he wouldn't go hover over her sniffing at her because she would smell just like him.

I'm in search of a nearby GNC to buy some Rescue Remedy to see if that helps any also.

I sure hope something works soon. They are both such beautiful kitties, and they would be adorable together. If that stubborn little Miley girl would relax a little, she might find out that Ti is just a big lover kitty. :)

Vio&Juni
04-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Sorry to hear that Miley and Ti are still fighting. I think they will finally become friends. I hope.
Glad you like the name Juni and I agree, it's a beautiful name. I am sure, though, you pronounce it differently (like in the word June). We pronounce it like in Pleasure [pleZae:] (don't have the right letters for transcription).
Our Juni is a big peacemaker, when it comes to us. I am sure, with another kitty she would be the same "witch" (with b) as Miley.
Good luck SAS.

sasvermont
04-14-2003, 12:02 PM
I kept them apart this weekend for most of the time. I allowed them in the same room with me and the squirt/spray bottle. Eveny time Ti went to find Miley, I let him have it. He got the message very quickly. I really think once the kitten arrives, Ti will be happy with him as a playmate and it will take the pressure off Miley. She was just as bad with Gabe, but Gabe didn't fight back, he just stayed the hell away from her. Ti, on the other hand, is finding it sorta fun to tick her off!

It will work out, maybe not quickly, but it will be fine.....:rolleyes: :( :rolleyes:

ramanth
04-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Yikes! Miley.. be nice to Ti.

I think I need to get me one of those squirt bottles.

Zam keeps wanting to see Little Boy and he doesn't want to have anything to do with his momma. (I'm convinced he is one of the two missing babies from her litter.... no such thing as happy kitty reunions :rolleyes: )

She'll sniff him, he'll smack her, they tussel... she runs off... repeat.

And if I shut her out of the room, she cries and cries and cries.

I have the plug in difuser for Feliway. It's supposed to calm them down.... or him at least. *crosses fingers*

Here's hoping June (and Juni... love that name!) get here soon!

sasvermont
04-14-2003, 02:02 PM
I should stop and the store and buy several. I have spent quite a bit of money on supplies at this point and the water bottle seems to work best.

At this stage, Miley starts screaming as soon as Ti walks within 5 feet of her. I think Ti thinks it is a game and he's having fun.

I am holding out for Juni's arrival in June! Until then, I refuse to hear Miley howling and hissing at poor Ti. He is a real sport - sleeping all by himself and enjoying the porch. Too bad Miley has her panties in a bunch over this! Oh well.

SAS

PayItForward
04-14-2003, 02:08 PM
What part of the cat do you plug in the disfuser?

ROTFLMAO:D :D :D

ramanth
04-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
ROTFLMAO:D :D :D
I second that! LMAO!! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
I second that! LMAO!! :D

I third that. :D

At least you haven't lost your sense of humor over this, SAS. ;) :D

Oh, and did anyone using the Rescue Remedy notice the ingredients? 27% alcohol!!:eek: :eek: No wonder it's supposed to calm things down. ;)

I got some at lunch, and I added some to my water that I always have by my desk.....to test it. ;) :D

Pam
04-22-2003, 09:15 PM
Just wondering if there is any good news coming out of Camp Vermont these days. :confused:

sasvermont
04-23-2003, 06:35 AM
Well, here at Camp Vermont we have been taking our time with the re-introduction of Ti to Miley.

Miley has her back up, for sure. She has one hot spot and the only good thing about it is that it is behind her neck so she cannot keep licking it. She has an appointment on Saturday, at a new Vet. She also has a healing bite on her ear. I suspect it was that fight that set her off into her "not in my house" mood.

Good news. I will be getting a little female Ruddy in June, around the 18th. The mama cat had only females, so the male kitty thing will have to be let go. I really don't mind at this point.

I have some questions to the previous owner of Ti, about how to read his behavior with Miley. He has been responding to the water bottle squirting when he dares to approach Ms. Miley. I think he knows now that she not the most receptive cat and that he should stay away. I really think he wants to play, so maybe the kitten will take up that role. Fingers crossed.

Yes, I have thought about the possibility of a disaster when the kitten arrives. If Ti begins to play to roughly with the kitten, then Ti will be re-evaluated and depending on how Miley takes to the kitten, Ti will be returned. He is a sweet kitty and will not have a problem re-adjusting to a new home. He is a "wanted cat" for sure, here and anywhere he goes. He is a love, but it could be that his alpha personality will not fit in here. We shall see. I will try my best to get this situation to the point where we can leave all the doors open!

By the way, the name for the new female Aby will be Juni!

SAS (the warden)

;)

PayItForward
04-23-2003, 07:15 AM
I really hope this kitten will be the peacemaker you need.

I think three is the magic number in our household. As you know, we have had a similar but less agressive situation in our home.

George didn't want to play with Milly and objected to being bounced on, when he was trying to nap. He occassionally growled and chased Milly under the wardrobe in the spare room but there was no fur flying or bitting. But our house was full of stress and unhappiness.

Milly bothered George all the time and at one point I hated myself as all I seemed to do was shout at Milly to get off George. I feel Milly was getting more bored and unhappy by the day. She wouldn't accept any affection off us, she would bite instead. Me & PaysForIt had a serious discussion that if we could not sort out this situation we would have to return her.

Enters Milo and things seemed to calm down straight away. Even when he was in the spare room, Milly spend all day trying to get into the spare room. George could finally sleep without being hasseled.

Milo & Milly play a lot (well there is no hissing, so I think they are playing), they jump on each other and spend most of the nights taking turns chasing each other up and down stairs. They even managed to remove all the cushions from the sofa last night !!!

George enjoys watching them run and he started to sleep on my head again, as he stopped doing this when we brought Milly into the house, I think this is a good sign. Though he started to sit higher up on sofas & the new cat tree in order to be out of reach of the chasing kitties.

Milly seems happier and although she'll never be a lap cat, she accept some cuddles and purrs to us. In fact last week, she jumped on my chest whilst I was asleep and demanded 5 minutes of cuddles this is unheard of. Though it must help that I never shout at her these days.

Milo seems happy too and is rarely off one of our knees for cuddles, during his quiet time (i.e. Not running around at full pelt with Milly)

I hope three will be your magic number too. :D

Barbara
04-23-2003, 09:20 AM
I am sure I told you before that Filou in his first 15 weeks (because he was that old when he came here) had a Bengal buddy who was older than he (I think one year and a half) and used to play ball with little Filou. But they were friends and the Bengal never hurt him. Abys are very courageous cats to my opinion and so I hope, little Juni will be a little amazone and enjoy having a big brother as well as a sister who is a little complicated. Elder sisters are like that:D (I am one:D ).

If the Moldovian Juni is her godmother then she will be a tomboy of a kitty.

Poor Miley. I hope her wounds on ear and soul heal soon.

Vio&Juni
04-23-2003, 09:27 AM
I hope little Juni will act a as a catalyst.
My Juni is very active, I bet she would enjoy to have a buddy to play with, if only he could get through the introduction part :)

Pam
04-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Oh my - a hot spot! Poor dear little Miley. She does wear her emotions on her sleeve, doesn't she (or should I say her neck). She is such a sensitive little one, poor sweetie! At least there is no need for a cone this time. :rolleyes:

SAS you know I was just thinking the other day that it was June 10th of last year I believe that Gabe went to live with his new (at the time) best friends. Here's hoping that this June, and the arrival of Juni, will be a happy month for 'the Warden' :D and furkids as well. I don't know about anyone else but I am really getting excited at the prospect of meeting this sweet little baby aby! ;)