PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Eating feathers

Kirsten
04-11-2003, 05:50 AM
Luna has got a toy mouse which had some colored feathers at the end. Now I have just found that mouse and noticed that almost all feathers are missing, and I found only one of the floor, so I think she has eaten the others. Of course I'm a bit worried now, especially since Luna NEVER vomits hair balls. Will give her some malt paste now, but do you think these feathers could cause any damage to her? After all, when they catch birds and eat them, they might also eat their feathers, don't they?

Kirsten

jenluckenbach
04-11-2003, 05:52 AM
I would watch her for signs of blockage (diarrhea, contipation or not eating) but I would not panic. I believe they can pass feathers without a problem.

moosmom
04-11-2003, 08:07 AM
Jen's right. My cats have eaten feather off of toy mice and teaser wands. I've never had a problem. I do, however, keep the teaser wand out of reach. Better to be safe than sorry.

Keep us posted.

Barbara
04-11-2003, 09:29 AM
I also agree and do not think that the feathers are a problem. Regarding the colors: cat toys should have safe colours (just as children toys) but as many of them are manufactured in China I would not be too sure. However I never saw any problems here.
Good luck to Luna:)

Kirsten
04-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone! :) I hope Luna won't have any problems, so far, she's acting normal and is doing fine.

I wonder why so many cats are chewing and eating the strangest things btw. Read an article on that yesterday but it didn't really give an answer.

Kirsten

Barbara
04-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Some weeks ago we had a thread of Efrat (where is she BTW) in which one of her cats had eaten a bra ribbon and needed surgery. Everything worked out fine but I tell you:eek: :eek: :eek: