PDA

View Full Version : Charlie's Angels

lizbud
04-10-2003, 10:26 AM
Just wanted to share this story from the ASPCA's Happy Tail
Of the Week from their newsletter. It's a good one.:)

PETFINDER HAPPY TAIL OF THE WEEK: CHARLIE'S ANGELS
If you were to meet Charlie, a handsome apricot standard poodle, you'd never know he was once an emaciated throwaway. But when Ellen Mayne first saw him on Petfinder.com, a searchable database of more than 100,000 homeless pets, it was clear that the canine had been through a lot. "A realtor found him abandoned in the cellar of a house, starved and scared," says Ellen.

The New Jersey animal lover's heart went out to the dog, and she knew she had to adopt him. He had been rescued from the basement by the Delaware Valley SPCA, and Ellen went to pick him up at their Media, PA-based shelter. "He turned to jelly each time we tried to put him in the car," she recalls. "He could only walk a few steps and was very weak."

Not only was Charlie's new home full of love, there were exciting new experiences waiting for him around every corner. "He didn't seem to know about the outdoors," says Ellen, who helped introduce the poodle to the wonders of rain, grass and squirrels. He also had to learn to play with his new canine brother, Jake.

As the Maynes got to know the newest member of their family, it became obvious that Charlie had been abused by a man in his former home. "He shook uncontrollably whenever my husband came into the room," says Ellen. "He would run to the corner, cowering. My husband spent hours sitting by him and talking to him. It took eight months before we had a breakthrough. Now they're best buddies."

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/p4d8e25cfdef9882a2bce705a9aa4280b/fc5c84cb.jpg

Sudilar
04-10-2003, 11:51 AM
I LOVE happy rescue stories!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!:D

Cisco's Mom
04-10-2003, 08:41 PM
WOW! What a great story. Thanks for sharing. I wish there were many more stories like this one.:)

captain
04-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Ditto that - what a great story.

Nice to read them ....... wish there were more :)

oodlesofpoodles
04-10-2003, 10:35 PM
It is so refreshing to hear the great rescue stories with happy endings. if he is the apricot in the pic he is gorgeous now. :)

lizbud
04-11-2003, 09:31 AM
oodlesofpoodles,

Yes Charlie is the apricot poodle in the pic & Jake is the white
one. :) I love to read these happy tails of rescue. It reminds
me of the goodness of people & that for all the sadness in
rescue work, there are some really good endings as well. Anyone
can get the free newsletter, just need to sign up at the ASPCA
site. http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer

The good stories help me keep hope in the basic goodness of
most human beings.:) Glad you liked the story.

GoldenRetrLuver
04-13-2003, 01:38 PM
wow, what sad story...with a happy ending!, thanx for sharing!:D