PDA

View Full Version : Rat Treat Recipies!

Desert Arabian
04-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Yum-yum. I found all of these recipies when looking up rat treat recipies for my "children". I thought I would share them in case you'd like to try them. I suppose, with some ingredient altering, they would be yummy for hamsters, gerbils, degus, etc.

Rattie Recipie #1
3 table spoons of uncooked oatmeal
1/2 cup of wheat noodles
1/2 cup of crumbled crackers
1/2 cup of wheat cereal

Directions: stir together ingredients and store in a plastic container. It will last for about 2 weeks

Rattie Recipie #2
5 tsps uncooked oatmeal

1/2 tsp sunflower seeds
3 tsps crushed barley
2 tsps millet
5 tsps brown rice (cooked)
2 tbl spoons wheat germ
2 1/2 tbl spoons brewers yeast
500-700 calcium tablets, cheweble
1 tbl spoon molasses

Directions:
Grind up tablets. Mix in cooked rice and dry ingredients. Add molasses and mix well. Store in a covered container in fridge. Good for one week!

Rattie Recipie #3
2 T. frozen green peas
2 T. frozen mixed carrots, cauliflower, and snow peas
2 T. frozen corn
Fresh spinach (optional)
Place the frozen vegetables in a microwave-safe bowl and put in the microwave for 30 seconds on high. Check to see if the veggies are thawed; if not, "wave" them for another 10 seconds and keep doing this until they are warm but not soggy. For an especially attractive presentation, serve on a bed of fresh spinach. Serves one rat.

Rattie Recipie #4
Carrots
1/2 cup of Water
Potatoes
Califower
Corn (the part you eat)(Must peel corn out ear)

Directions:
- Wash the vegetables with fresh water
- Put water in bowl, then put vegetables in the bowl of water
- Now put them on a pot
- Boil the water w/ veggies
- Now let it cool until warm. (Temperature between hot and warm)
- Put some on the food dish

If your afraid of the water bowl tipping, then after step 5:
-Get Veggies Out and mush them to make a soft food.

Rattie Recipie #5
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup dried mixed fruit bits
1 t. oil
1/2 cup fruit juice (use more or less to get desired consistency)
Preheat oven to 250 degrees and grease (or spray) two cookie sheets.

Mix all ingredients with a pastry blender. Shape into 1/2" balls and place on cookie sheet. These do not spread so can be placed very close together.

Bake 45 minutes; leave in oven until oven cools to dry out and be crunchy.

MAKES APPROXIMATELY 100 1/2" BALLS.

Rattie Recipie #6
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 T. crunchy reduced-fat peanut butter
1 T. honey
1/3 cup water
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease cookie sheet (or use a spray).

Mix all ingredients with a pastry blender. Shape into 1/2" balls and place on cookie sheet. These do not spread so can be placed close together.

Bake 45 minutes; leave in oven until oven cools to dry out and be crunchy.

MAKES APPROXIMATELY 60 1/2" BALLS

I got these recipies off of MaMa Moondancer and Rat and Mouse Club of America. Post your recipies here, if you have any to share. :D I wanna know if you tried making some, and what your ratties/small animals thought of them. I made recipie #5 once, and my ratties LOVED them! They were gone in about 4 days, lol!!

CathyBogart
04-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Thanks! I'll certainly have to try these sometime soon!

Desert Arabian
04-09-2003, 06:29 PM
No problem :) You'll have to tell me what your ratties think of them!!

luckies4me
04-09-2003, 06:29 PM
My ratties are fed those things already throughout the week, besides honey and peanut butter.

#6 sounds good just for people too lol. :p This is a good thread, I hope someone adds to it.

wolfsoul
04-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Same with luckies4me, I feed most of those to my rats anyways lol. I'm a pretty good cook, but I hate cooking so I avoid it at all costs heehee. :rolleyes: . But I do cook the rats eggs every once in a while...if you count that as cooking :p

Desert Arabian
04-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Low- fat Burritos
1 packet specialty rice mix (e.g., Lipton's "Rice & Sauce"), any flavor (chicken is good)
1 16 oz. can non-fat refried beans
1 C. low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 11 oz. can corn
3 large flour tortillas or 6 small ones, preferably a low or non-fat variety
Directions:
Cook the rice according to the directions on the package, but without adding the butter or margarine called for in the directions. (It tastes fine without all that fat - honestly!) While rice is cooking, place beans in a small pot and heat. When rice is done, mix with corn. Lay out tortillas and divide rice equally among them, placing it along the center of each tortilla. Divide refried beans equally among them, putting it on top of rice. Divide mozzarella equally and put it on top of beans. Fold ends of the tortillas over the mixture, then fold the sizes over to form a packet. Turn the burrito over so that the edges of the tortilla are on the bottom. Cut a slice out of the center of one of the burritos and serve it to your rat. For human consumption, place burrito on a microwave-safe plate, cover with desired amount of salsa and microwave on high for two minutes. One large burrito serves one person and one rat.

Note: Extra burritos keep for up to two days in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap, or can be frozen. Reheat in the microwave for about 2 minutes 30 seconds on high. (Before serving to rat, check to make sure beans are not too hot.)

luckies4me
04-10-2003, 12:35 PM
YLL those would be spoiled ratties lol! :eek:

One burrito per rat, wow! LOL Thanks for yet another great recipe! :D Again, sounds yummy for humans too, hehe