PDA

View Full Version : polysporin for gerbils ears?

tikeyas_mom
04-07-2003, 06:24 PM
I am not allowed to take my gerbil to the vet and my mom said that polysporin "eye and ear" clears ear infection. Do you think it will have the same effect on a gerbil as it does on humans? I dont want to make his ear worse.

wolfsoul
04-07-2003, 09:25 PM
I know that polysporin has the same affect on gerbils as in humans, as well as other animals. I think it would be safe to try :)

One time my rat Frisco was having a wierd eye thing going on, and when I tried eye polysporin it cleared it up completely! ;)

tikeyas_mom
04-07-2003, 09:27 PM
I dont want to really put any thing forin in his ear without knowing if it is 100% ok to do, ya know. what if it isnt a ear infection? What If I just make it worse? eep

wolfsoul
04-07-2003, 09:32 PM
If it's not an ear infection, I don't think the polysporin will do anything. It probably wouldn't do any harm, but it might not help.

I wish some more people would post lol...Has anyone tried polysporin?!? :p

tikeyas_mom
04-07-2003, 09:33 PM
I no, noone cares. :(..

wolfsoul
04-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Whoa I can't believe that no one is replying...this is a matter of life or death :(

lovemyshiba
04-07-2003, 11:51 PM
I cannot be of any help, that is why I haven't replied, probably the same for others.
I have used neosporin on Abbey's ear, after she and Kito had a fight, and it healed just fine.

popcornbird
04-08-2003, 01:23 AM
I can't reply because I know nothing about gerbils. :( That's why I didn't reply. Its not because I don't care.

Ps. Before you got your new pet, you told us you would take him to the vet. Why has that changed after you promised? Sad...:(

shais_mom
04-08-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I can't reply because I know nothing about gerbils. :( That's why I didn't reply. Its not because I don't care.

I don't know anything about gerbils and this is the first time I have seen this post.
I don't see how it would hurt him at all.

aly
04-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Could you just call the vet and explain your situation and ask for some advice. I know they can't give you too much over the phone because they can't diagnose the problem. But they could at least tell you if this would be harmful to your gerbil.

Its not that we don't care, its that we don't know. Not a lot of us here have gerbils or feel comfortable giving medical advice :eek:

Cisco's Mom
04-08-2003, 10:45 AM
Sorry, I don't know much about Gerbils either. I know at the Humane Society I volunteer at that they would answer your questions. Maybe you can call the one by you?;)

luckies4me
04-08-2003, 11:07 AM
If it's a scratch or something like that it will be fine, but if it's an inner ear infection he will need antibiotics. Yes I have had gerbils and you do not want it to get bad trust me. Inner Ear Infections can lead to death. You should take him to the vet if you could. Try to convince your mom somehow, or call the vet and see if you could volunteer for a day or something. :)

With rats an inner ear infection can mean death quickly if not treated. Even if treated they can still have head tilt for the rest of their life. Inner ear infections effect the animals equilibrium so it's best to have him seen by a vet. Maybe you could so a search online about IEI in gerbils? Just a thought? :confused:

Disclaimer: NO I am not a vet, just giving advice!

luckies4me
04-08-2003, 11:08 AM
What ever happened to Sams My Baby???

tikeyas_mom
04-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Middle Ear Problems.

If your gerbil starts to tip over to one side starting with their head this can be a sign of a middle ear infection. This can be treated by your vet with antibiotics (usually a baytril injection).
This can also be a sign of brain tumours or a stroke but this is a lot less common and your vet will be able to tell you what is the problems.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am gunna start saving up to take it to the vet asap. :(.. I think my gerbil has this Middle Ear Problem! :eek:

Logan
04-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Our hamster, Rusty, who is now deceased, had an eye problem once. I didn't take him to the vet, but I did discuss it with my vet, who gave (wrong word....provided me is the better word) with antibiotic drops for his eyes to get them better, and it worked. Perhaps your vet could do the same thing for the gerbil without your having to take him in to the vet.

Good luck! With these small animals, it is so hard to know when to do what! :)

tikeyas_mom
04-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Ok thanks for the advise, I'll call them again today :).

shellonabeach
04-08-2003, 08:26 PM
NO do not use those ear drops........

If he does have something wrong with his ears he needs anti-biotics, I would suggest oral baytril (given directly into the mouth not into the water).

You need to get to the vet asap, delaying will mean he gets worse meaning that treatment is going to cost you a lot more and chances of success are less.

Your mum shouldn't have to say whether or not he can go to the vet, you were able to get the bus to the store, pay for the gerbil and get him home. They have a vet at that shop so even without your mums help you can get him to the vet.

As has been said about rats is true for gerbils, there comes a point when the damage to the ear is not treatable.

Please get him to the vet tomorrow.

tikeyas_mom
04-08-2003, 08:28 PM
I would but I dont have the money.

tikeyas_mom
04-08-2003, 08:30 PM
I can get him to the vet, but for what? the secritary to send me home because I dont have 35 bucks for a checkup? If I had the money I would go in a second. But I dont. I spent it all on the gerbil and my brothers birthday present. :(

tikeyas_mom
04-08-2003, 08:34 PM
http://www.poultry.baytril.com/images/2_5_oral.jpg is this drug availible in stores? like drug stores or somthing??

shellonabeach
04-09-2003, 06:37 PM
That is the stuff,

here in the UK it is only avaiable from the vet and is quite expensive.

Sage really needs to see the vet, if you leave it it could be too late for him. Can you not beg your mum to borrow the money?

Or as a last resort see if there are any rodent rescuers who would take him off you and get him treated, or if they would do that at the shelter.

Leaving him untreated is simply unacceptable, you should not have bought him if you couldn't pay for vet bills.

tikeyas_mom
04-09-2003, 09:31 PM
I know shell I feel really bad. I didnt think anything this bad would happen to it.

I could give him to the S.P.C.A but it is groose and dirty and discusting there and he wouldent find a good home, he'd live there for the rest of his days with no human contact in a dirty shlter.

I could bring it back to the pet store and that wouldent be right he'd just be shuved in his old cage with pine bedding and no other gebils for company.

My mom said she might reconsider if I can find out how much it'll coast for the vet visit and the meds needed. I hope it isnt to much :(.. How much is oral baytril ?

Desert Arabian
04-09-2003, 09:36 PM
As far as I know, you cannot buy Baytril in drugstores. We got ours from the vet and it cost: $12.60.

P.S. I LOVE the smell of that stuff!!

tikeyas_mom
04-09-2003, 09:37 PM
12.60$ isnt bad at all :). I hope it is that price range here :D.. I was thinking more aroud $160.00 for some reason. lol
:eek:

Desert Arabian
04-09-2003, 09:39 PM
Um...$160, yea right. That would cover the cost of getting a rat neutered...two for that fact (that's what we paid). :p

tikeyas_mom
04-09-2003, 09:48 PM
lol, I know I assume the worst. I am just happy my mom is gunna take Sage to the vet next week and pay for it, I'll pay her back every cent. omg I love her so much, she is the best mom ever!!!

wolfsoul
04-09-2003, 10:39 PM
That's great! :) What vet will you be taking him to? I went to this one that really sucked, but I can't remember what it was called :confused: You should go to Vetcetera so we could meet :D lol
How soon will you be taking him?

tikeyas_mom
04-10-2003, 02:44 PM
I'll be taking him not this friday, next friday. When the dogs get there heart work shot. I goto a vet in Westbank called Weside Animal care. Or something. I took my Rabbit there and they were really good with her.