PDA

View Full Version : Bailey might get a new brother!

Sevens
04-07-2003, 07:43 AM
Ok, I know we've only had Bailey for a month and a half. But Brian always wanted two dogs from the beginning, so that they would be company for each other. We went to the rescue group website for H.A.P.P.E, which is the group we got Bailey from. They have another dog just like her. It's the same age as her, 7 months, a neutered male, and his name is Gavin. Both Bailey and Gavin are lab/pit bull mixes, but Bailey tends more to the pit side and Gavin tends more to the lab side, we think.

We did go to see him yesterday at an adoption fair put on by the group. We took Bailey with us and they both played together for about 3 hours. They both love doing the "my paws on the other dog's shoulders" thing. She seems to really like him.

I will be calling the landlord this morning to make sure we are allowed to have a second dog if we want. Gavin will be coming to visit us for the weekend as a trial to see if we can handle having two dogs. If all goes well, we may be able to adopt him.

Here is Gavin's picture:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p9f3468316c0b78afe8b575754f34af03/fc60e0b1.jpg

And here is a pic of Bailey:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid57/p0ba8704a4077b9c1da0b67096f22e984/fc6eed86.jpg

I do have a question for everyone on this board. If you started out with one dog, how long did you wait before adding another? Thanks in advance for your responses to this question. :):)

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-07-2003, 07:48 AM
No answer for you on adding a second dog, since I only have one :(

But I did want to say that Gavin and Bailey do look very much alike! Very cute!!

Cisco's Mom
04-07-2003, 08:59 AM
WoW! What cute babies.:) They sure do look alike don't they? Well, good luck with the addition. I only have one dog so I can't help ya with your question. Sorry.:(

lovemyshiba
04-07-2003, 02:30 PM
What a cutie!! I wish you the best of luck in adopting him.

We had Kito 3 months before we got Abbey, and then 5 months later, we got Riley. I don't know how much of a difference it makes on when you get another dog--mine were both between 8-10 months when I got them, but Riley is just a baby--he holds his own with the other 2 though!!!

veegan
04-07-2003, 04:13 PM
omg they are both so adorable!!! I love pitbulls, and baliey sure has that cute pit face!! :D Thats so awesome how alike they look and that they are about the same age! AND that they got along so well!! How exciting! I hope all goes well and you can adopt him! He is so cute!!! :D And I would agree, he does seem a bit more lab, and her more pit. :) Actually when I first saw the pic he looked like a great dane! :eek: :D lol Well, good luck! Im sure everything will work out! I hope to see more pix of them both soon! :D

aly
04-07-2003, 04:18 PM
How long you wait before adding a second really depends on the dogs. Since they are both pretty young and Bailey seems to like him, I'd say GO FOR IT!!! You may have some adjustment issues but I'm thinking it won't be too much of a problem because of their age.

They are both soooo adorable. They'd be great friends. I'm excited for you. Let us know what your landlord says.

tatsxxx11
04-07-2003, 04:23 PM
What a cutie!!:D They look SO much alike!! I think it's great that you got to give Bailey and Gavin a "trial run" at the fair. And even better that you get to have an extended "sleep over" to see how Bailey's reacts to another doggie invading his territory!:D Some dogs just crave the company of another and the adjustment is an easy one. I had my Lab Jingles for about 1 year before we added Cody; not that Jing wouldnt' have loved a pal sooner; we just weren't ready yet. It was the best thing I ever did. They became inseparable and best friends! Hope all goes well!!:)

Dakota's Mommy
04-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Ah, what a cutie! Yes, they look perfect together! I hope this all works out for you!

As for how long, we got Dakota at the end of July, Destiny in October, and Sierra in March! So, we waiting 3 months and then 5 months before we got our 3rd. So, I think it depends on the dog, the situation, and the people who are owned by the dogs!