PDA

View Full Version : Dog Showing

*LabLoverKEB*
04-06-2003, 09:36 PM
I am sooo excited! I got my neighbors permission, to show his beautiful Yellow Lab, Cody. The problem is.... I don't know a thing about showing dogs! Can someone please fill me in? Does anyone know any good dog showing sites, where you can search for upcoming dog shows in your area? Thanks!:) ;)

tikeyas_mom
04-06-2003, 09:49 PM
how can you show dogs if you have never done it, have no experience, and no show licence (sp?) ?? I have never done it befor, I thought you had to be doing it your whole life to be able to show. ?? :confused:

iceyshiver21
04-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
how can you show dogs if you have never done it, have no experience, and no show licence (sp?) ?? I have never done it befor, I thought you had to be doing it your whole life to be able to show. ?? :confused:

I never have needed a show licence....

What do you plan on showing in?? Conformation??

iceyshiver21
04-06-2003, 10:20 PM
First of all you'll need a Showmanship Lead, that will fit him. It has to be the thinest one you can find that is strong enough. I got mine from a Dog Trainer for 5 dollars. You can buy chain or nylon ones, mine is nylon, but I hear VERY good things about chain ones.

oodlesofpoodles
04-06-2003, 11:20 PM
go to www.akc.org They have a great Jr. Showmanship program and you don't need a licence to show a dog unless you are a professional handler. I show my dogs and other peoples dogs and am not a professional handler. Here are some sites that can help you chose a show to go to. Jack Onofrio Dog shows and Kevin Rogers Dog Shows There are other Dog show superintendents but these are the two I use. Dog showing can be lots of fun. Good luck.:)

GSDgurl
04-07-2003, 02:21 PM
WoW sounds so much fun...i have always wanted to show....Im going to hopefully start showing in the summer when i get my new PUPPY~!!!! (can't wait~!) Anyways tosee where some dog shows are around you, you could go to www.infodog.com it telss u lots of thing. Have lots of fun...maybe i'll see ya in the show ring one day~! lol :) :p

*LabLoverKEB*
04-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Thank you everyone! And yes, I will be doing Jr. Showing! Thanks again!:) ;)

captain
04-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Congrats on attempting your first show!!!!!

Let us know when you finally get to put your newly acquired skills in the ring.

Good Luck!!!

Jessica12345
04-07-2003, 08:14 PM
i have no idea about showing... but ive always wanted to!:D lol... good luck!:)

Dogz
04-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Good Luck! I think that it would be really fun to show a dog... I would like to show Prince next year.:)

iceyshiver21
04-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Awww....I love showing dogs, mostly because I get to meet alot of kids who are equally as nutty as me, as soon as I can get one of my shows on my cam, ill send it. :D

kingrattus
04-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Sounds like u'll be having lots of fun :)

I use to put Max into Mutt shows (any dog not good enough for a pro show & for mutts) u had to be 13yrs & under so I was only able to enter Max once.. & he won the 3rd best trick. & lost everything else hehehe... I still have his ribbon :)

I've only seen 1 real dog show & since that day I refuse to go to another... This lady brought in an unexperienced excited dog & well duh, he wouldn't sit still & ran wild around the ring... & I watched her strangle her dog & kick him & stuff him into a small kennel & then kick the kennel & yell at him... Luckly she got in crap for doing this to her dog... but saddly he had to go home with her :(

iceyshiver21
04-07-2003, 09:28 PM
In my class at the MN State Fair a dog in my class jump the ring wall and attacked a dog in the next ring!! :eek: :eek: It was VERY interesting....after the class the girl who showed him ran out and left crying, I felt so bad.

Dakota's Mommy
04-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Good luck to you! I hope it goes as planned!

*LabLoverKEB*
04-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Thank again, everyone. I'll get pictures, soon, I Promise. He has a beautiful gait, too!;)