PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear a mask when cleaning the litterbox?

Cookiebaker
04-06-2003, 06:11 PM
I was just curious to know if you wear a mask to clean out the litterbox. Mark usually takes care of the litterbox, and he can't be bothered with a mask, but when I clean it, I feel that it's safer. Anybody else have opinions on this?

aly
04-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Nope I never do. Not even at the shelter when I'm cleaning all the kitty boxes there. Though there are times when I have to put my shirt over my nose and mouth if someone has made an especially stinky mess for me!! :eek: :o

NoahsMommy
04-06-2003, 07:01 PM
I probably should...that dust sets off my allergies....good idea! :)

Fuzzy317
04-06-2003, 07:49 PM
I clean our 2 litter boxes. I wear contacts and I don't use a mask. They are not that dusty, and cleaning them each day keeps the odor down. :)

jenluckenbach
04-06-2003, 08:28 PM
It never even dawned upon me that I could/should wear a mask. Neither the dust nor the smell really bother me.

Cookiebaker
04-06-2003, 08:34 PM
I heard that there is a disease (particularly affects pregnant women) that can be passed through cat urine. I forget the name of it, but heard that it can be prevented by wearing a mask. Has anybody else heard of this??

Fuzzy317
04-06-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
I heard that there is a disease (particularly affects pregnant women) that can be passed through cat urine. I forget the name of it, but heard that it can be prevented by wearing a mask. Has anybody else heard of this??

I have heard that women should avoid litter box cleaning duties while pregnant, but I haven't heard anything about wearing a mask in case. :confused:

Christiansmommy
04-06-2003, 09:50 PM
Really the only reason that a pregnant woman should avoid changing cat litter is if you have an outdoor cat, that may have eaten raw meat. ie, a mouse or something, and they carried the disease...it would then be exposed to the pregnant woman if she touched the fecal waste of the cat...

When i was pregnant, i still cleaned Gabe's box everyday, b/c he was strictly an indoor cat, and i knew he had no chance of getting the disease ( I ,of course, washed my hands really well, though)...i forget the name of the disease, i think it is toxo-something or other :)

Robyn

i dont use a mask...i think the Tidy Cats litter deoderizer dust (though, it smells great)...gets to me more than the litter dust..

Tina
04-06-2003, 09:54 PM
Dear hubby takes care of the litterbox now that I'm pregnant again he did when I was pregant with Kaitlynn also.

But when I was not pregnant no I did not wear a mask. The litter wasn't that dusty that I used. And I've never thought of wearing a mask.

lizbud
04-06-2003, 09:57 PM
I don't wear a mask, but sometimes have to hold my breath
when cleaning the "pee" box. My kitties seem to chose one box for mostly pee & anothers for "other deposits".:confused: Anyway I found this explanation of the disease you were speaking of on a cat site.

WARNING
Pregnant women shouldn't change cat litter boxes because cats can be infected with a disease called toxoplasmosis. Cats can carry this disease because they hunt and eat other animals. This disease is rare in house cats but you would be better off avoiding the litter box anyway. A pregnant woman can catch the infection by touching or breathing the particles (such as dust) from cat feces. You can also get toxoplasmosis by eating raw or under cooked red meat or by touching dirt while gardening that has been contaminated by cat feces.

If a woman gets toxoplasmosis during pregnancy it can affect the developing baby and cause birth defects, particularly in eye and brain development. Therefore it is advised that women who are pregnant ask to have someone else change the cat litter box. It is safe to hold and pet your cat however, so feel free to give your pet all the affection it deserves.

Want to train your cat to use the toilet? Try this link:
Toilet Training your cat.
Or this link TOILET TRAINING CATS

Cataholic
04-06-2003, 10:02 PM
Wear a mask? I couldn't be bothered. Most of us use chemicals to clean which are more toxic than kitty boxes. I am a carrier of toxo, and I don't know how I contracted it, but, suppose it was from a kitty. So, I am afraid I would still get 'box duty' if I was to become pregnant...:(

luckies4me
04-06-2003, 10:35 PM
I was told by my midwife/doctor while I was pregnant that most likely if you come into contact with cat feces that you already have built up immunity to Toxo, so that if you do get pregnant you can clean the catbox etc. I cleaned the boxes when I was pregnant and I didn't have a problem. I used to wear masks when we used clay litter but after we switched to clumping litter it's not as dusty, so it's not really needed. Interesting topic though! :)

krazyaboutkatz
04-07-2003, 12:20 AM
I've never used a mask or even thought about using one. The clumping litter that I now use isn't dusty at all and I clean the 2 litterboxes every day so it doesn't get too stinky. I've never heard of a disease that you can get from cat urine.

04-07-2003, 02:30 AM
A mask?? Oh nope...! I would hate that thing on my nose:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

Former User
04-07-2003, 02:35 AM
Nope, we don't wear a mask. Sometimes after a nice fresh poop it would come handy though ;)

neko1
04-07-2003, 05:15 AM
Nope I do not wear a mask at home or at work. I guess you get so used to cleaning up animal messes at work everyday that it just doesn't bother me.

HayleyRosie
04-07-2003, 05:36 AM
No, I don't wear a mask. I don't find the litter dusty at all. I clean our cat's litter boxes twice a day. No problem.

moosmom
04-07-2003, 08:24 AM
I have 6 cat boxes for 7 cats. No I don't wear a mask, but I do wash my hands every single time I scoop. You just can't be too careful.

emily_the_spoiled
04-07-2003, 08:31 AM
I don't wear a mask either, but I do use a low-dust kitty litter. I also scoop everyday and wash it once a week with anti-bacterical soap (yes I know that maybe a little excessive). After scooping or any kind of cleaning I wash my hands very thoroughly so there is no potential problem.

catmandu
04-07-2003, 09:34 AM
I have to agree with Casper and Kitty , especially after big Moose the Magnificent leaves his not so little offerings of Kitty Love!PU!

Logan
04-07-2003, 09:47 AM
No mask here, either. Both of mine prefer to go outdoors, thank goodness. But Mimi started her life as an indoor only cat, and when I became pregnant with Helen, I was told to stay away from the litter box. So, hubby #1 was the litter box cleaner. That lasted no time at all, and she got to go outdoors. :rolleyes:

ChrisH
04-07-2003, 10:44 AM
I use the woodpellet type litter and I scoop out a few times a day, whenever I notice it has been used. I don`t use a mask because there is very little dust, though sometimes I wish I did when Ebby leaves an extra smelly offering! :D at those times I usually pull whatever top I am wearing over my nose!

Chris

batgirl1980
04-07-2003, 03:54 PM
A mask??? Nope. never even thought to use one, and i've had cats since I was little bitty. The smell never really bothers me, unless it's right after they deposit a fresh present... then of course, whatever shirt i'm wearing goes over my nose for that moment in time...

Now cleaners around the house are another matter.. there are some i've tried (and promptly quit using) that smelled so awful, that a mask would have been great!

Although, if i get pregnant sometime in the far off future, I told my husband he'll be on litterbox duty.. somehow I don't see that happening.. so you know.. lol.. but all mine are indoors, so it shouldn't be a problem.

veegan
04-07-2003, 04:46 PM
"I use the woodpellet type litter and I scoop out a few times a day, whenever I notice it has been used. I don`t use a mask because there is very little dust, though sometimes I wish I did when Ebby leaves an extra smelly offering! at those times I usually pull whatever top I am wearing over my nose!"

same here! :D I clean mine several times a day too, whenever I see its been used. I use tidycat though, not woodpellet, but it doesnt really have any dust, so no mask here either. and yes, sometimes though I do wish I had a GAS MASK! LOL It is a good idea, Id never even thought about it!

bluekat
04-07-2003, 04:51 PM
LOL, I don't wear a mask, I just cover my nose and mouth with my shirt.

RogueFerret
04-07-2003, 05:21 PM
I don't wear a mask, but maybe I should. After Natasha 'does her thing' it stinks so bad that it's probably poisonous! LOL!:D

shais_mom
04-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Nope, Never thought about it!!

I just hurry up and tie the bag off!!

carole
04-07-2003, 09:52 PM
no cant say i have ever used a mask or thought of it, but i do block my nose, just comes natural, my smelling senses are very sensitive, but i do wash my hands well after doing the deed also, and dry them well, did u know university studies are proving its just as important to dry them well as wash them.

smokey the elder
04-08-2003, 07:15 AM
A mask is overkill. If you're that affected by cat deposits, you're probably allergic anyway. Although, I think I need a gas mask when TicTac drops one of his "bombs"!!!
:D

RogueFerret
04-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by carole
no cant say i have ever used a mask or thought of it, but i do block my nose, just comes natural, my smelling senses are very sensitive, but i do wash my hands well after doing the deed also, and dry them well, did u know university studies are proving its just as important to dry them well as wash them.

Yes! We have a friend that is a microbiologist and he says if you don't scrub your hands for at least twenty seconds and dry them vigerously. then it's like you never washed your hands at all!:eek: I think I need to start hanging out with less freaky people! LOL!:D