PDA

View Full Version : Toys

slleipnir
12-13-2001, 02:38 PM
My dog loves chewing...Has anyone ever heard of the "Indistructable" dog ball? it has a hole in it so when the dog pushes it with its nose food comes out? like 1 peice at a time? Jo LOVED it! she'd spend all the time it took to get every last peice out! Then..when theres no food left..if not taken away from her..she attacks it! lol she chewed it into little peices! its soo not indistructable!

I hear that those pig ears aren't good for the dog..it makes them sick or something?? They feel gross though..

The only thing jo has she hasn't chewed into trillions of peices is this bone she has..i duno exactly was it is..but shes chewin' and its still THERE!! and those kongs..put cheesewise or peanut butter in them..they'll lick them for hours! there amazing..but it disapeared one day..mm..anyway.

What kind of toys does your dogs play with? Anything that lasts for longer then 1 day??

DoggiesAreTheBest
12-13-2001, 02:48 PM
Drake is a very aggressive chewer! Nothing lasts with him. We have gotten him several stuffed toys with the squeeker in them. He makes a game out of and tries t see how fast he can tear the toy apart and get the squeeker out. His kongs lasted 2 months and then he chewed them in half! He loved chewing on knuckles ( A bone thingie) Those are gone in one day. But they keep his teeth clean. His favorite toy that he has had since he was a pup that he has not destroyed is his Buddy GlowBall. He will lose it for weeks andthen it will appear in the yard. The dogs in our neighborhood must have a lending program. Odd toys end up in our yard and then disappear!

jennifert
12-13-2001, 03:13 PM
Duncan also goes through toys like there is no tomorrow! Anything stuffed is gone w/i a day, less if Jack and Duncan play tug-of-war with it! I did buy Duncan a toy and I don't remember what it was called but it's a round ball with all these hard plastic clusters on it. It is supposed to be good for his teeth. That thing is INDESTRUCTIBLE!! It's hard and doesn't even seem like it would be fun for Duncan but he loves it! I have hardwood floors and I'll roll it down the hall and he'll go bounding after it and carry it around...
I was at PetCo and I heard some customers talking about how pig ears made out of the USA have formaldehyde in them and are not good for the dog.
Duncan LOVES real bones and rawhide but he has a very sensitive stomach. A few weeks ago he had to go to the vet and take 12 days of antibiotics and eat ground beef and rice for 2 weeks. The vet said too much rawhide may have been the cause. So BEWARE!!
Souraya, Duncan also has a Buddy Glowball! It actually comes in handy in the dark too! I have to be at work at 8am a few days a week and sometimes I don't get out until 6pm. And in the winter, it's dark ALL THE TIME!! (That bothers me more than the cold!) Anyway, Duncan and I go to the park to run around in the morning and the Glowball comes in handy when we play catch. He gets distracted by a rabbit or squirrel and I'm left to find the ball!

tatsxxx11
12-13-2001, 04:18 PM
Star loves that treat ball thing. Of course, like Jo, she IS a lab. Food, ball...what's not to like! I have to try and find a message thread from a while ago called "Death of Blue Rhino." It was the longest, funniest thing about how all our kids "kill" their toys. Gotta go try and find it and post the link!

slleipnir
12-13-2001, 04:59 PM
I can't give jo stuffed animals or stuff dog toys i mean..I'm to affraid she'll eat it!! she'll eat anything lol! or she might swallow it..i duno..lol. She loovees balls! if she has them for a little while she end up chewing them in half! lol! its cute..
I also loose toys and end up like a while later finding them in the yard or under something..I'm sure those kongs are around somewhere.
I don't know if you know this or not, but something that dogs love and you might not think its harmful but is; are bones. Not like dog toy bones but i mean steak bones, t-bones exspecially. I used to give them to Jo, and she loves them! I thought the only bone to stay away from was the chicken bone (which splinters and can get stuck in the throat or do some not good damage) but no, these other bones are just as bad. T-bones can (if bitten on and swallowed or something) and go down to the stomach and punchure it or the esophogus. Not so good.. I never had any probs with them but i wouldn't take a chance.

tatsxxx11
12-13-2001, 05:44 PM
Good thinking Audrey! Years ago, our family would always give our dog a steak bone. Not anymore! The only ones they are allowed to have are knuckle bones or marrow soup bones, once a month. They don't splinter like the others. Mostly suck out the marrow! :) I can't find the Blue Rhino post! It was hysterical. Seems all the Pet Talk doggies love to slay and gut their stuffies :D I have to watch them, because they love to pull out and chew on the squeeker part and might choke. I have baskets full of the mortally wounded! Star loved the toy the Wiggly Giggly, till I read that the jingling balls inside contained a poisonous chemical, and one dog reportedly died from eating them. Suffice it to say, if she can put it in her mouth, Star will try to eat it!! :D Oh, we also had a very long post about rawhides. Seems to many dogs have choked on the slobbery, gummy pieces they pull off and it's just too scary!

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

slleipnir
12-13-2001, 06:46 PM
Sandra, yeah :[ Jo doesn't eat many rawhides either :[
LOL thats cute "mortaly wounded basket" Jo LOVES this little cone thing.. you know thoses toys that u hit a button and the "icecream (a foam ball)" shoots off the cone but is attacted to a string? its funny- you hit the button and she thinks its going somewhat, but she realizes its not, and its trying to trick her..she i can just see this going through her little doggie brain "That ball is trying to trick me..hm..i have to think of a master plan to defeat it. I know! *Josies lunges at ball without a second thought*" its so cute though! i don't give it to her or she might coke on it..shes got this desire to KILL IT! lol shes snuggled into my bed now..sorry, HER bed, she takes over it.
I saw in th paper once, this guy took his dog into get him med for artrites or something..and he went to pay for it while the vet gave it to him. So the guy comes back in just to see his dogs head fall to the ground. The vet took the wrong case i guess and gave the god Euthinol. Can you imagin?! that sends shivers down my spine! i'd be devistated..stunned..thats before i jump over the counter and kill the vet..i'm sorry i have a rash approch to most htings..buut it works ;]

tatsxxx11
12-13-2001, 07:31 PM
That's a terribly sad and tragic story Audrey. Something similar to a very tragic story posted her last year. A dog went to the vet for a check up and was mistakeningly euthanized. I still feel such just thinking about it. BUT, on a happier note, I have to check out this ice cream cone thing. That's one thing not as of yet in Star or Cody's toy chest!! And, Jo is not the only princess to enjoy rights to the "big bed!" Just ask Rachel and so many of us! Sounds nice and cozy there in your home tonight in chilly Canada! Give Ruf and Josie big hugs from us and sleep well to you all!

slleipnir
12-13-2001, 08:18 PM
Yeah i know, its awful. If i was asked to leave when my dog was getting a shot, i couldn't. Atleast you could see if it says "EUTHONAL" on it..
Yeah the cone is cute! its not a dog toy..but it works! she loves it lmao.

I have a single bed size, and jo takes up most of it..-sigh- i can just see when i get another dog whats going to happen..one will have to snuggle up near the pillows like jo now, and the other warm my feet! LOL
my friend is looking at getting a flat coated retriever..she showed me the pics of the sire and the mom..there SO cute! i can't wait till spring to see her!

AmberLee
12-13-2001, 08:29 PM
"Blue Rhino Obit" link (http://PetoftheDay.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000329)

Dear Tats/Sandra,

Based on your clue I went hunting and found the above. Enjoy all!

tatsxxx11
12-14-2001, 05:16 AM
OMG! Thanks Pauline!!!

Logan
12-14-2001, 07:59 AM
Toys, especially stuffed ones, don't last long around here either! After about 5-10 minutes, I start finding squeakers and piles of fluff all over the floor! We did find some pink stuffed squeaky pigs at PetsMart that have been our longest lasting so far. We don't do rawhide either because Lilly just HAS to finish it before she stops. Her gums will bleed and I have pulled pieces out of her throat twice because she was choking. No more rawhide in this house! But, they LOVE knuckle bones which are huge and almost indestructible, but unfortunately these are outside bones because they are gross! Lilly just can't stand to be outside without me, so she will stand at the door and cry her little heart out with that HUGE bone in her mouth. She chooses me over the bone anyday! LOL!! :D

Thanks Amberlee for finding that post!! Rottie had us all wondering with the title when she put that one up!! :D

[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

Rottie
12-14-2001, 08:37 PM
>What kind of toys does your dogs play with? >Anything that lasts for longer then 1 day??

Carl plays with pretty much anything, stuffies, kongs, balls, squeakers, rope toys. He is usually pretty good about not chewing them up. He seems to know which ones are appropriate to chew on, and which ones are not.

Gepansy
12-15-2001, 01:24 PM
Sara likes balls, but i think it's better for her to have big ones because she's such a big dog i'm afraid she might eat little ones.Her all time fave is stuffed animals though. Sure she might pop off an eye or nose or might rip a hole, rip off an arm or leg but still loves them!!!!!!! :D

slleipnir
12-15-2001, 02:44 PM
Carl is cute with that little hat!!

Rottie
12-15-2001, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by sleipnir:
<STRONG>Carl is cute with that little hat!!</STRONG>

Oh Thanks!!! :D :)

jackiesdaisy1935
12-15-2001, 03:54 PM
We got one of those balls with the food in it and right away we had a problem. LOL
Perry and Daisy both went after it but we have to roll it on the floor, they won't do that, then when it stops Daisy guards it so Perry can't come near it, if he does she growls, meaning it's her ball and food. We had to take it away, it was kinda funny, but not funny if you know what I mean.
Jackie