PDA

View Full Version : how did u choose your kittys names

carole
04-05-2003, 03:01 AM
I am curious as to how everyone chose their kittys names, i truely wish i had come here before chosing mine, as their are some awesome names on this site, i do still like lexie, and for those who did not read my previous threads, chose it after a scottish actress on a programme'Monarch of the Glen' and because i am scottish by birth, ash well my daughter named him, he is grey like ash but he is actually named after ash on the kids tv programme 'Pokemon' so folks tell me how u came to choose yours i would love to hear all about it.
I had a mouse called tiffany, i like that for cats name too.
so what names do you like
some of mine are poppy,nikita,jasper,lily,tigerlily,jasmine,kaila,j ordan,just to name a few and of course especially ash and lexie. oh and shakira too hehe;) :) :D

Kirsten
04-05-2003, 03:42 AM
I'm not sure why I came up with the names for my cats.

My first one was a Persian and I wanted her to have an oriental name, so I choose Aysche (Turkish name).

When I got my Katz, a tux girl, I wanted her to have a VERY special name LOL but couldn't come up with one, so we first called her Katze (which means cat in German), and somehow it turned into Katz. So this has been her name for 14 years.

After I had lost Katz, I sort of knew immediately that my next fur kid would either be a Luna or a Lily. I dont know why, I just liked the names. When I saw the baby I was supposed to get, I knew that Luna was just perfect for her. The little black sister she will get next month will be called Lily. :)

Kirsten

jenluckenbach
04-05-2003, 06:21 AM
cats
Amber, because of the color of her eyes
Ashley, because I always liked this name
Lucas after a character on a tv show I liked at the time
Jasper after Jasper engines and their NASCAR racing team
Fern after a friend
Kim after my BEST friend
Jim after my best friend's dad
Rutherford after a friend
Sterling because of his silver coloring
mice
Penny is the color of a tarnished penny
Raven because she is black
Betty White(RB) and Vanna White because they are white
Jaye, Marilyn, Kristin, Megan and Donna(RB) after friends

Some just kept the names they came with

PayItForward
04-05-2003, 07:53 AM
George as I always wanted a cat called George (I was a child.. go figure)
and Mildred cos we have a George.

bluekat
04-05-2003, 08:30 AM
I only chose the name for Blueberry, guess its because he's a blue point, and I wanted a name to do with his colour.My other four are my grandmother's, but I go to her house often, so I'm always with them anyways. I really don't know how she got the names, I'll ask her sometime. I'll take a guess, I think the Silver is Sylvester because he's silver. That's pretty obvious. The dilute calico, Calley I think it's because dilute calico , so Calley. The solid white is Artemis, I don't know how, and the Blue&white is Lincoln, I don't know why either.
BTW, they're all Persians, with Blueberry- a blue point himmy. He's the only one that lives with me. But the other ones sometimes visits me too, but I usually go there. My grandmother also has these nicknames for them, I don't know how she got them
;)

rosethecopycat
04-05-2003, 08:38 AM
I right the names down in a book.

I had Snow Pea written down for years. I brought him home and named him and it was all of two hours before it turned into Snowy.

Mr.Jones, I think I told that story before. There was this man in Croatia, who spoke no English, but wanted to tell us that his dog was named Mr. Jones.

I've got a few names in the book right now, I think I'l be using them all up when I start getting the foster Meezers.

I already helped another foster name her duo:

Razzle & Dazzle
:)

Anakins mom
04-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Naomi was the third of our three original cats.
*Grace...because by the grace of God she was spared from the tallons of a hawk when she was a couple weeks old and went wandering when her feral mom abandoned the litter. RIP dear Gracie.
*Charity...as she was so appreciative of our charity when we rescued her (feral) from our back yard after our dogs had treed her. RIP dear Charity.

Naomi ..it is biblical and it fit her as she was Charity's faithful companion for many years.
Ember...for the areas on her face and ears that looked like glowing embers on her tiny face when we got her.
Mystery...it was a mystery as to how he managed to get dropped by the coyotes on their way through our yard after decimating the feral colony he was from...avoiding that horrible fate.
Miss Indy...because we found her on July 4rth (Independence Day) after she loosed herself from the sack she was thrown out on the side of the road in...and because we were watching an Indiana Jones marathon that day.
Asia...She is my first blue-eyed oriental looking cat, hence Asia!

Steffi N
04-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Lovable was one of my sister Becky's cat Cloud's kittens. He named himself because he was just so lovable.

04-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Sydney (RB) was called like that because his cat-mommy was called Darwin ! So, we chose another aussie town!

Maya: she was such a sweet looking kitten, so I gave her the sweetest nams I could think of!

Inka: my daughter suggested this name, because it is also the name of an Indian tribe (Maya's & Inca's!!)

Prairie Purrs
04-05-2003, 12:24 PM
My first cat was named Keke, after Keke Anderson, the wife of 1980 independent presidential candidate John Anderson.

After sweet Keke passed away at age 13, I adopted two shelter kittens and wanted to stick with "K" names; hence, Kacey and Kiri. I kept the "K" sound going with a couple of adopted strays, Katie and Cricket.

Then came Oz, who looked a bit like a lion and a tiger, with maybe a little bear (Oh, my!).

Gatsby seemed like a proper name for an elegant tuxedo cat.

Hagrid and Lily were part of the Harry Potter litter, all named after characters in the books.

Bob looks like a bobcat.

Angelus was part of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer litter.

Denyce
04-05-2003, 05:42 PM
I chose 3 good Irish names because of my heritage and because I just liked them.

Brianna is an orange tabby so that just seemed to fit a red-head.

Deirdre because she is dark, mysterious and magical.

Katie because she is too comical and cute and needed a name that fit that. Because she was a pest to the other cats at first I called her Katydid. But that was also lengthed as I posted previously to katiestopthatrightnowyoulittlemonster. Katydid was shortened to Bug...which is also lengthened to Bugmonster or Bugster or Katiebug...she responds to most anything.

My husband named his cat Kaliban because he saw the name in a magazine and liked it. It was the name of Jonathan Pendragon's cat. He is a magician. Both my husband and Jonathan.

Denyce:eek: