PDA

View Full Version : finally

marysmerrycats
04-04-2003, 06:57 PM
well I have finally got this cat thing almost right ( I hope )...and it only took 2 1/2 years LOL

I can't free-feed them anymore. I have to socialize Louise a little more, and now I have to give oral liquid medicine to Emma and Louise, I have to squirt the medicine along their gums once everyday. oh THATS going to be FUN!! I am going to start that tonight, just before I go to sleep and then put the food away.
I have the spare room all set up for them now, it was already their room but now it is ready for me to give them medicine, and then play with them, Louise needs the play sessions so hopefully she will get easier to handle, and Patches need them to make him get some exercise! I am going to try to give them all separate time with me to play and feed them separate. til now I have tried things off and on, but I really have to give that med or they will lose their teeth, and Patches is making that funny noise again, he had stopped it. :(

so I am starting this schedule tonight, wish me luck!:rolleyes:

I have kind of neglected them as far as playing with them lately.

and I finally cleaned out their toy basket, and threw the old and never used toys out, well I think I will give away the good toys... :rolleyes:

marysmerrycats
04-04-2003, 11:18 PM
well I just spent the last 1/2 hour in a room with Emma and Louise. ooookkkkkk that is not going to work. Louise is always meowing for me to play with her, but she just is not going to let me hold her, when I do she hides her head in my arm. and Emma tried to get away from me too, even tho she is usually so friendly with me. I can't hold them and open their mouth, and squirt the stuff in their mouths, unless I have 3 arms/hands!

Monday I have to bring callie to the vet becase she has allregies, and is peeing on the carpet, and Im bringing E & L back there too < I want to see them , just ONE of them gvie the cats the med with no help and on a live cat, not a plastic modle of a cat mouth.

I am not going to give these cats away but I can NOT give that med to them alone.

has anyone else had any problem like this? any suggestions or advice?

kimlovescats
04-04-2003, 11:26 PM
I ususally get them down on the carpet ... so if they claw with their hind legs, it's into the carpeting .. not my body (haha) and I grasp them with my left hand by the nap of the neck, while using my right hand to administer whatever med I need. Sometimes I straddle them with my legs (on bended knees) from behind. I find it is easier to just take charge and get it done rather than to "pussyfoot" around with them! ;)

GOOD LUCK! I'm sure there are many other PTers that have their own sets of advice!!!

shais_mom
04-04-2003, 11:41 PM
It is hard to medicate our furry friends.
I do what Kim does.
But Kylie is pretty laid back, that is the only reason I can do her.
Hang in there!

aly
04-04-2003, 11:57 PM
I do what Kim does most of the time. Sometimes I also give them a pillow to hang on to so they can bite that instead of me!! This is with shelter cats. My cat is pretty good. She just pouts for several hours afterwards.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

marysmerrycats
04-05-2003, 11:08 AM
I don't think I am pussyfooting around.

I don't have the camera with me now, the digital camera is my mothers I borrow occasionally. but the med is liguid in a bottle with a thing that I put on the top, it is like a straw , but shorter, and curves, I am suposed to squirt the stuff along their gums.. how can I do that if I am stradling them, without breaking their necks?!!! I have to be facing them to see what I am doing. I can't very well make them face the florr then turn their heads, I would be hurting them!

I guess this does sound like Im whining, I guess Im not cut out for having cats.

shais_mom
04-05-2003, 11:58 AM
1) I don't think you are pussyfooting around
2) And I think you ARE cut out to have cats.

You just need to take one of them into the vet and have them show you how to do it.
I agree with you, it isn't the same seeing it on a model. My vet has always shown me to on Kylie how to give her pills.
:)
Keep you chin up!

jenluckenbach
04-05-2003, 06:23 PM
Is this medecine suppose to go onto the gums? (this is what I am picturing in my head)If so then I would say the best thing IS to have the vet tech. show you how one person would do it. I don't think I could do it and I've worked with animals professionally for 18 years. For pills or liquid medicine that they are to swallow, I would scruff them with one hand and administer with the other, but this?!?!?! sorry, I can't even imagine.
And just because you don't have all the answers does NOT mean that you are not suppose to have cats. We all have to learn one thing at a time. And when you learn how to do this.....you can tell me. ;)

sasvermont
04-05-2003, 06:38 PM
I either sit on the floor or pin them down on a counter top.... I put a death grip on them with my left arm and my body, holding then down and close to me, then open the little mouths with my left hand and administer with the right. The problem I have run into is that they often catch on and make themselves invisible for hours afterward and then not available when it is time for the next dose. Hang in there. You may want to try wrapping them in a towel as well.

You have your work cut out for you.

Keep us posted!

SAS;)

marysmerrycats
04-05-2003, 09:45 PM
thanks everyone, I appreciate the encouragement! I will give it another try after I see the vet on Monday. Kim I know you were just trying to help too.
sheesh, just when I thought I had learned to give medicine to them they give me a new kind, LOL:rolleyes:

Jen
yes it is suposed to go on their gums, but so far it has only gone on Emma's tongue and on my lap!

kimlovescats
04-05-2003, 09:49 PM
I didn't say YOU were pussyfooting around!!! I was using a play on words! I was trying to help, as always around here. That's why the haha and smilie face! I was saying that when it comes to giving medicine to a less than willing cat ... you have to man-handle them for their own good..... as opposed to being gentle in every other situation.

marysmerrycats
04-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Kim
I understand! and you are right.I know you meant just in general, but I have been kind of wishy washy, this latest thing is impossible! I had just decided it was time to get things done with them, about Louise, about Patches diet, etc, so I have been playing with Patches more, and making him run around(not too hard to do:) )
I wanted to set some play time with just Louise or maybe with Emma in the room too(her littermate) then this med thing happend. anyway it is not going well but I will keep trying.

play on words...well doggone it!!

kimlovescats
04-06-2003, 12:07 PM
I know it is very difficult to keep give each kitty the special one on one time they need / want. Having a medical issue to deal with also just complicates everything too! :rolleyes:

I have been fighting eye infections in my poor little Tucker for over a month now .... he hardly even lets me hold him anymore because he's so sure I'm going to put something in his eyes!:(
I guess this is the meaning of "tough love" .... ;)

Hang in there, you're doing just fine, and everything will fall in place soon! Vent here anytime you need ... we all do! :D

Kim