PDA

View Full Version : New Baby

aly
04-04-2003, 11:28 AM
I just got called and asked if I could take in a single bottle baby with a hurt leg (to foster). My answer: YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!

I'm so excited! I'm on my way to pick up him/her right now! I'll post pics after we go to the vet!

:D

K & L
04-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Too cool!

Russian Blue
04-04-2003, 11:39 AM
How exciting!! Good luck with the little one.

Send many scritches and warm hugs to the baby from me!

;)

HayleyRosie
04-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Give the little one lots of scritchies from me. I can't wait to see pictures!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Oh goody, more kitten pictues! I thinkwe're all going to overdose on kittens one of these days, but what a way to go. :D

Aly, you're another one here that really deserves a pat on the back for all the hard work you put into saving kitty lives. Thanks. :)

kimlovescats
04-04-2003, 06:41 PM
Oh.... how wonderful!!! A bottle baby? That should be interesting, and one with a little hurt leg... POOR BABY!!! Please post pics of that sweet baby!!!
;)

marysmerrycats
04-04-2003, 06:44 PM
thats wonderful!
hey how is Peka?

aly
04-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Peka is finally back to normal. She's been improving the past couple days and was finally herself today so thats why I felt I could take in the baby :)

I'm calling my new baby Stringbean today but she'll have a new name once I get to know her better. She had a string tied around her leg :( :( :( :( :( It was cutting off circulation and is REALLY swollen with a big gash where the string was. The vet was able to get the string off and give me some antibiotics for her. She's a Siamese mix I think and she's got some pretty strong lungs!! She seems to be about 2 weeks old. Her eyes were closed but she just opened one this evening!!! Reece and Lolly are having fun watching over her. I'm not letting her near Shiloh since she won't be tested for FIV until 8 weeks.

I have some pictures and video that I'll post shortly. Its time for the baby to eat and potty first - she's gnawing on my hand!

aly
04-04-2003, 08:51 PM
Here's the little girl. All the other pics I have show her hurt leg and I wasn't sure if you guys would want to see that or not. More pics to come :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/pa7c6a014be747d880dfca56188e57909/fc6462fe.jpg

sammi
04-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Aly, What a dolly! Show more pictures.

lailamara
04-04-2003, 08:58 PM
What a sweet innocent little kitten. Bless you for taking care of her and giving her a chance.

Aspen and Misty
04-04-2003, 09:47 PM
AWWWWWW. OMG that is the cutest kitten! Its so nice of you to take that sweet darling face in! How nice of you! Sooo adorable!

Ash

Steffi N
04-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Thank you for taking care of this precious little darling.

aly
04-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Any name suggestions? I'm tossing around a few : Star, Tigerlily, Blossom, Iris, Delilah

I forgot to mention she has a chance of losing her leg :( It is looking good that she can probably keep it though. Poor girl.

tikeyas_mom
04-04-2003, 11:02 PM
what a cute kitten. I hope she doesnt loose her leg!! :(.. that would be horrid. name her Nermil, Salim, /Figaro. . :D..

shais_mom
04-04-2003, 11:31 PM
TOOO CUTE!!!!
I like the name Tigerlily or Lily.
Interested in state names??
Ask Cataholic!!!:)

kimlovescats
04-04-2003, 11:40 PM
What a precious baby! Thanks so much for taking her into your care! How in the world did she get a string tied around her leg.... or do I want to know???? :(

I sure hope she is able to keep her little leg.... if her eyes just opened ... she is probably 10 days to 2 weeks at the most! She is beautiful for sure .... looks silver shaded?

Yes, please keep those pics coming ... we will enjoy watching her grow and gain strength in the coming weeks!!! :D

aly
04-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
What a precious baby! Thanks so much for taking her into your care! How in the world did she get a string tied around her leg.... or do I want to know???? :(

I don't think I want to know how either :( :mad: :( She was found in someone's backyard. I can't imagine her just being able to tangle herself up that bad in a string :confused:

Yeah I was estimating her to be around 12 days or so. It feels so good to have a baby in the house again. Its been several months since I've had one here. Well more like 8 months because my last foster kittens were already eating on their own and wouldn't take the bottle.

*****WARNING*****
I'm going to post a pic of her leg as an attachment so people don't have to look at it if they don't want to. I don't think the picture is too bad. You can just tell how swollen it is. It looks a lot worse in person :(

krazyaboutkatz
04-05-2003, 12:54 AM
Aly, she's adorable and I'm so glad that you're able to care for her. :D I sure hope that she doesn't lose her leg. Prayers are on the way for a full leg recovery. Please post more pics when you get a chance. BTW I like the name Star or Skye for her.:)

carole
04-05-2003, 02:48 AM
she is so tiny and precious, i am so sad about her leg, it looks so swollen and sore poor wee thing, u are such a great person to care fo her, i think tigerlily or lily is an awesome name, she is such a sweetie, she will grow up to be a real cutie pie.:D

PayItForward
04-05-2003, 04:39 AM
What a cutie ? How long are you looking after her (and will you be able to let her go...)

jenluckenbach
04-05-2003, 06:08 AM
I know it's been said before but................
cuteness overload!

and I happen to like the name Stringbean. It is cute and it is different. And ..... can you send her to PA????;)

Cincy'sMom
04-05-2003, 06:46 AM
She is sooo cute!!! Sounds like she's has a miserable 2 weeks, but she's in great hands now!! Good luck!!!

aly
04-05-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
What a cutie ? How long are you looking after her (and will you be able to let her go...)

I'll be fostering her for 6-8 weeks then she will be adopted out. It will be so hard to let her go but I think Shiloh will keep me in line. If I ever add another kitty, it would probably have to be a boy as Shiloh NEVER likes the girls. I know she probably could get used to Tigerlily eventually, but then I would have less room to take in fosters. I'm getting so attached and it will be hard, but I am going to find her a perfect home so that will make things easier :)

Barbara
04-05-2003, 08:36 AM
It's so good to knwo that there are people like you to take care of a little baby like Star Tigerlily (these are the names I like best). You wonder what happened to her cat mom:( :( :(

I hope she can keep her leg but I have met a cat with 3 legs last year in Greece who was as fast as all the others. Animals can cope very well with a handicap if they are in a safe home.

Oh what a beauty she will be. And how sorry I am for her. Two week old kittens should all be safe with their mom and not hurt and all alone in the world.

bluekat
04-05-2003, 08:38 AM
Awwwww......she's so cute!!!!!! You must be very excited. I've never fostered any kittens before, I'd love to foster one. But the hardest part of it is when they go to another home, or get adopted. I know that it's hard not to get attached. She's so young too.
So cute!!!!! BTW, if you get a chance, post more pics?

neko1
04-05-2003, 08:40 AM
She's so cute!

Cookiebaker
04-05-2003, 09:14 AM
Oh I am crying right now...that poor baby!!! So innocent! I can't even believe that someone could be that cruel to hurt her!! :GRRRRR: :mad:

Thank you for taking her in and giving her a chance at living. She is sooooo cute!! I'm in love with her!! :)

catmandu
04-05-2003, 09:26 AM
I agree with lailamara , God Bless you for taking the little one in , and I recommend Sterling for a name. Please keep in touch and let us know when the leg heals!

veegan
04-05-2003, 12:30 PM
CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shes so beautiful!!! AHH!! Tigerlily is an adorable name! I like, as someone suggested, Sterling too. But that sounds more like a male name to me. But it is fitting with the colour! SO CUTE!!! AH!

Kirsten
04-05-2003, 12:38 PM
What an adorable baby she is, I'm so glad that you're taking care of her now! Please cuddle her from me, okay? How's she doing btw, hope her leg will be alright! :)

I also love the name Lily (like I posted in another post, Luna's new little sister will also be named Lily). Another name I also like very much is Jana, or Laura.

Kirsten

Karen
04-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Iris! Flower pretty, and lilac-colored!

Karen
04-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Any chance of airmailing her to Massachusetts? Someone I know will be looking for a kitten soon ...

aly
04-05-2003, 09:16 PM
I'm getting worried about her. She's seemed fine except she cries a LOT more than any other baby I've fostered. I am thinking it is either because she has no siblings or her leg is hurting her. I fed her about 45 min or an hour ago and she's still not asleep. She just keeps crying. She's not done this before. Arrrrrrrrgggghhh!

Karen
04-05-2003, 09:17 PM
Ummmm, well, at least you know her lungs are healthy? ;) (Sorry, not much help, am I?)

kimlovescats
04-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Oh you wouldn't believe how identical she is to one of the kittens that my rescue Lacie has! I don't think I have a close up... but will get one!

Sweet baby ... maybe she's just hungry? I sure hope her little leg isn't hurting!! :( Try not to get discourage, you are doing a wonderful thing for her .... we all here support you 110%!!!!

aly
04-05-2003, 11:02 PM
I am thinking she's okay - maybe its the siamese in her!

You're right Karen, this is one HEALTHY set of lungs!!!

She's working on opening her other eye :D

aly
04-06-2003, 03:48 AM
Hurt leg hidden in all these pics :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p64ed6d8c3f44f214ef083e390cceb0f3/fc62c47f.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p35486e5cfa691c3a653c299ba4ad847d/fc62c47e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/pe51e4f04f03dd494165aecb96abd4b41/fc62c481.jpg

BastetsMum
04-06-2003, 05:27 AM
That is a beautiful sweet litle kitten - I thought Casidy might suit her with her set of lungs :D I really hope her leg heals quickly. Did the vet say it was string or the umbilical cord still wrapped around her leg?

I have seen that happen when I was volunteering at the rescue centre. A person bought in a whole mess of kittens (literally) and one very sick mum because the cords were all entangled around each other. The unfortunately couldn't save mum and 2 kittens. The other 2 were adopted out.

Barbara
04-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Although she's so small and frail she looks strong somehow. Maybe now that she's a little stronger she is missing her fur-family?

We keep all fingers and paws crossed for her. She just must have the most wonderful long cat life after this start:)

TheAntiPam
04-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Aly, you sure have one sweet little critter there! She couldn't have done better in finding a foster Mom!

My Winston was found at 2 weeks, and that first week he cried and cried - then he just stopped. I was never sure if he adjusted, or just gave up. :confused: He was much better (and quieter) sleeping with a warm hot water bottle, too. But meanwhile, it is so hard to hear them cry!

Winston says "Be brave little girl, you have a good life ahead! Take it from me!"

ChrisH
04-06-2003, 06:57 AM
Oh, aly, I just love her, she is just so sweet and beautiful!! Bless you for accepting and taking such good care of her.
How is she today? Fingers and paws crossed she is doing well.

kimlovescats
04-06-2003, 12:19 PM
OH my GOSH!!! Those bottle pictures are soooooo adorable! What a precious little baby girl!!! Oh, you know you are going to bond with this little baby!!!! :)

catmandu
04-06-2003, 12:30 PM
:) :D We at the lost cats hotel want to thank you for taking that poor little kitten in , and being her Guardian. and we are praying that the Good Lord lets her keep her leg ! Please keep us posted.

aly
04-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Her leg seems better every day :) The swelling is down a lot and her wounds are starting to scab over.

Both her eyes are wide open now!

We're sill waiting for poop though :o I know the KMR can constipate them. None of my babies have ever pooped in the first couple days so I'm not worried quite yet.

NoahsMommy
04-06-2003, 01:36 PM
Awww!!!!!! Aly, she's adorable!!!

I LOVE the name Iris for her, it goes well with her coloring.

You're such a good meowmee...she looks happy already. :)

Kirsten
04-06-2003, 02:05 PM
She is sooooooo sweet! :) I love these photos where she's drinking from her little bottle! :)

I hope she's only crying 'cause it's her Siamese genes and that her leg doesn't bother her! Give her a get-well-hug from us! :)

Kirsten

aly
04-07-2003, 08:43 PM
She's doing soooooooooooooooooooooo good. We are both soooo bonded already. She's quieted down a lot. She still screams, but she just does it like a normal baby now. She settles down a lot easier and rubs up on me and falls asleep on me. I rub my nose on her nose a lot and she'll start purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring like mad. She loves to lay cradled in my arm. I'm already getting teary about the day I have to let her go. Eeek :(

Her leg is still improving and she's taking her medicine so well!

Here she is sleeping on me right now :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/pb5243b9ac3c6ede40d04ed4c6fbbdf8f/fc5fcb38.jpg

NoahsMommy
04-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Oh Aly!! How are you going to be able to give that little angelup?? Do you HAVE to???

She's looking GREAT!!!! What a good meowmee!

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-07-2003, 11:21 PM
originally posted by Aly
I rub my nose on her nose a lot and she'll start purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring like mad.

AWWWWWWWWWWWW

THAT IS SO SWEET IT MAKES ME WANNA CRY!!!!
I didn't know little kitties could purr so early.... I WANNA HOLD HER AND KISS HER!!!!!!!!!!!! Aly you'r so lucky!!!!

Barbara
04-08-2003, 03:22 AM
So I think she was really missing her furmom and this was why she cried. It's so good to see here in your arm and to know that you are the next best person she could meet. I'm glad to hear her little leg is better.

Don't think now about the time you will have to let her go. Right now she needs all the time she can get from you and both of you can enjoy that:) :)

HayleyRosie
04-08-2003, 06:07 AM
Now that is super cute!!! Give her all the love you can right now and give her some kisses from me!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-08-2003, 04:25 PM
She is so adorable, Aly. I don't know how you're going to be able to give her up, but I know you'll find her the best home ever when the time comes. She is so lucky to have found you. :)

And I agree with Barbara that you shouldn't think about when you'll have to give her up. Just treasure every little second you have with her. Then when the time comes, you can feel good about giving her the best start in life she could have. :)

kimlovescats
04-08-2003, 07:51 PM
How precious.... you are her mommy now, and she loves you!!!!
Great job, and keep those precious pictures coming!:D

aly
04-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Look who's getting a big tummy :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/pa16ef47761639099b19be7e9bc7c79fb/fc5db8b7.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/p611e008a4591573ae3a61b4349cbf004/fc5db8b4.jpg

ScantyNebula
04-09-2003, 10:27 AM
OMG that is the cutest thing I've seen all day!!! Thanks for making me smile during a boring day at work! :D

Logan
04-09-2003, 10:29 AM
I have no idea how I missed this, Aly, but my goodness, that baby is precious!!! Thank you for caring for her and so many others.

I want a kitten.................. :(

aly
04-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Logan - She's so small, I'm sure your husband wouldn't notice ;) :D

HayleyRosie
04-09-2003, 10:54 AM
I would have to keep her. She is so cute!

krazyaboutkatz
04-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Aly, she's just adorable. :D I'm so glad you can care for her. I know she'll have no trouble finding a great home. :D

Steffi N
04-09-2003, 11:27 AM
I've never seen anything more precious. I'm happy that her leg is healing, that she is taking her medicine, and that she has big lungs, a big purr, and a big tummy. If you can't give her a forever home, please make sure she is adopted by someone very special.

kimlovescats
04-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Ali, she is getting prettier everyday... and looks very healthy, happy and LOVED!!!! Bless you!!:D

carole
04-09-2003, 03:23 PM
aww i do hope you end up keeping her, she is so cute, and been through so much, i know she would have a great home with you, heres hoping :)

yorkster
04-09-2003, 04:26 PM
Awwwwwwww! I don't know how you do it, but we are glad you do! You're dedicated for sure. :)

If you haven't already named her, I like the name Liza :)
(as in Liza Minnelli, for her strong set of lungs and she's a survivor)

aly
04-09-2003, 04:43 PM
We just got back from the vet for her recheck on her leg. The vet was very impressed with how good it looked :D Its still a bit swollen but he said its scabbing nicely and the skin isn't falling off anymore like it had been :eek: I had 3 techs hovering over me constantly saying how cute she was. They couldn't stop looking at her :)

She'll be on antibiotics for another week while she's still healing so we can prevent any secondary infections. I took her to work after the vet and washed her leg with a special shampoo (at the vet's recommendation) and so everyone at work got to see her again too. They all thought she looked great also.

There are now 5 different people saying they want her, hehehe.

kimlovescats
04-09-2003, 04:48 PM
I don't doubt that a bit!!!! hehehe That's so wonderful that her leg is healing up well!!! I bet it will be just fine!!!

You won't believe how much she looks like the little meezer mix girl I am fostering too!!! (Gwen)

http://fluffandstuff.homestead.com/files/Gwen1.jpg

NoahsMommy
04-09-2003, 04:51 PM
Aly, she's looking wonderful! You are such a good foster meowmie!! :)

aly
04-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Kim - I just saw Gwen in your other thread! They are twins!! :D

moosmom
04-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Aly,

I just saw this thread now. As far as peeing and pooping, have you been stimulating her to pee and poop after feeding her? Kittens that small rely on their mamas to stimulate them into doing that.

Take a soft washcloth and rub her in her "private" area. You'll know when she goes because it'll feel warm and wet.

You need to do this after every feeding. Hope this helps.

Another thing you might try to do is leave a radio and nightlight on.

Barbara
04-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Gwen what a cute mini polar bear you are

And Aly: it makes me so happy to see how well she is:)

aly
04-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Yes I stimulate her to potty. I've had a lot of bottle baby fosters before so I'm used to all that! :) And I have classical music playing 24/7 for her :D She doesn't cry anymore like she did at first. I think she was just stressed and in pain. And probably also missing her mom ...but she knows I'm mama now.

And she did finally poop for me yesterday at 5am. Switching from mama's milk to the KMR constipates them. Just about every single foster baby I've had has taken a few days to poop :)

carole
04-09-2003, 09:10 PM
wow u sure know your kitties, it must be so rewarding fostering these little guys, u do a wonderful job, thank goodness for people like u out there, good on you , cheers

aly
04-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Well four 3 week kitties are going to be added to my foster crew tomorrow :eek: :D :D

I wish Lily could play with them but she's going to have to be by herself until she's 8 weeks old and I can have her tested for Feling Leuk, etc.

I'll post pics as soon as I get the kitties!

Karen
04-12-2003, 11:13 PM
After viewing this thread, a person I work with said "I'm in love! I'll drive to Texas ... of course, it's my sister's car, uh ... Where's that one? Tennessee? Do you know any foster kitties in Massachusetts?" She was completely kitten-smitten, and as her family's dog and (former rescue) cat are still living with her parents, animal-deprived! :)

aly
04-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Awww, its kitten season now so there are homeless babies just everywhere I look :( I've had 6 calls in the past 2 days asking me to take in babies. I've found somewhere for all of them except this last bunch so I'm going to take them.

Karen - do you have a lot of rescues around you or are there not so many in your area?

carole
04-13-2003, 12:12 AM
i dont know about foster kitties but i was looking up your shelter in mass, and there is some lovely pussycats desperately seeking homes, one is bear and i forgot the other one, they are inseparable, one is getting on a bit, but they are so cute, i wish someone could take them, they stole my heart,. check them out

aly
04-14-2003, 01:32 PM
I went and picked up my new fosters today. Its not the 4 I originally thought I was getting. Instead I got 3 orange boys whose mom was hit and killed by a car :( They have 2 tortie sisters who went to another foster home. My boys are SOOOOOO CUTE! I will post pics later on. I'm in a bit of a hurry right now :D