PDA

View Full Version : Bird info.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-04-2003, 08:29 AM
My sister really wants to get a bird! WE are both doing tons of research on them, too. I have a few questions, what is the best bird for a first-time bird owner? And do any of you know of any bird care sites? Thanks!:) ;) Oh, and I think she wants to get eathier a parakeet, or a cockatail (sp?). Thanks again!

Logan
04-04-2003, 08:32 AM
I can only answer you, based on my experience, Sarah. We have our "first" birds, Roger and Milly, who are Cockatiels. I find it hard to believe we could have made a better choice!! :D Roger was immediately attracted to Helen and walked right up her arm in the pet store, which is very unusual. He was the perfect bird from the very first day, and a year later, I can say the same thing!!! :)

*LabLoverKEB*
04-04-2003, 08:40 AM
Ok, thanks Logan! I think we will probably get a cockatiel then. Does anyone have any good information on cockatiels? Thanks again!:) ;)

Logan
04-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Sarah, just do a "cockatiel" search on the internet. You will find LOADS of information! We also purchased a couple of books from the pet store, plus checked some out from the library. All I can say is read, read, read, and ask lots of questions! Popcornbird is an excellent Cockatiel resource, right here at Pet Talk, and there are lots of bird forums on the internet, where people are very helpful. I joined two MSN groups, Bird Lovers International, and Bird Brainz. Both of them have been very informative, willing to answer my silly questions, plus they provide great links to other informative sites.

The one thing I would suggest is finding an avian vet before getting the bird. It is better to have one ready and waiting than to need one and not have them established. We haven't had to use ours, but we have a file, and can go if we need them.

Logan

popcornbird
04-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Cockatiels and parakeets both make wonderful first time birds, but I would go with a cockatiel. Yeah I have cockatiels so I have to be a little biased. ;) LOL J/K

The reasons I personally would take a cockatiel over a parakeet are as follows:

From what I have seen, cockatiels become far more attached to humans then parakeets.

Tiels are more responsive and seem to understand and comprehend us when we talk and whistle to them. My friend's parakeets seem to ignore her when she talks to them, but they may be different.

Cockatiels lifespan surpasses that of parakeets by 10 years, but they both have lengthy lifespans.

This is sad but, parakeets are tiny and far more prone to being stepped on accidently than a larger cockatiel. :( This happened to my friend's keet and the poor thing died instantly. It broke out hearts. :(

They are both acrobatic and playful and happy little birdies. Parakeets come in beautiful colors and cute little beaks. Cockatiels have those gorgeous crests and orange patched cheaks!

Cockatiels are very intelligent and have a greater chance to learn tricks, how to whistle tunes, talk, and dance than parakeets.

I love them both, but cockatiels rule! :D

Some good websites you can visit for information include:

www.cockatiel.org
www.cockatiel.com
www.birdsnways.com (this site has great articles and several forums including a cockatiel one. If you go to forums and click on Tiel Talk, you will find a cockatiel forum as active as this one. It has several moderators and breeders, and other people that are very helpful for advice. Its a great board. Just join in a post your questions, and hopefully you will get responses from people that know more about birdies then me. Good luck, and Logan's right about getting an avian vet before hand. Its important to have a vet before needed and its best to take the bird for a well birdie exam right after you get him/her. :)

Tweety_Pie
04-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Cockatiels are good pets for first pets:D (i wish i had a cockatiel) If you decide to get a budgie you can find alot of info at www.budgies.org

tikeyas_mom
04-04-2003, 04:14 PM
My first bird was a budgy named BABY. he was green and very cute. He was my only pet at the time, I loved him soo much, I played with him 24/7 lol. he was such a nice birdy he was so tame he'd sit on my sholder and follow me around, I miss him -cry-:(

popcornbird
04-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Tweetypie! Its Friday. Did you get your budgie yet? :D

Tweety_Pie
04-04-2003, 04:16 PM
nope not yet! But I am going to the Petstore later tonight! :D I CAN'T WAIT IM SO EXCITED!

popcornbird
04-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Yay! Good luck and let us know when he/she comes home! :D

Tweety_Pie
04-04-2003, 04:20 PM
I SURE WILL! i don't have image station so when i get pictures (that will probibly be tomorrow) I will put them on my home page! :D

The link to my homepage is

http://www.geocities.com/tweety_pie787/

Jessica12345
04-04-2003, 04:30 PM
oo! I think a cockatiel would be great for a first bird. :) this is so exciting! lol:p

well here is a cockatiel care site:

http://www.cockatiel.org/tips/

and heres a parakeet one just in case;) :

http://www.allsands.com/pets/parakeetcarepe_raz_gn.htm

Jessica12345
04-04-2003, 04:31 PM
tweety bird i cant wait!:eek: :D :)

Jessica12345
04-05-2003, 06:31 AM
well tweety bird! its saturday!:D

lablover: how's it going? are you getting a tiel? or parakeet? or what? lol...:D update ppplllleeeeaassee!:)

*LabLoverKEB*
04-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Thank you so much everyone, for all your information! No, we didn't get the bird yet, we probably won't get one until this summer! Thanks again, everyone!:) ;)