PDA

View Full Version : do you play an instrument?

Jessica12345
04-03-2003, 07:36 PM
just curious:D

and if so... what kind?:)

i play violin...:D

Nomilynn
04-03-2003, 07:41 PM
clarinet and piano, or at least I used to. I haven't in a while, but I would love to start it again

wolfsoul
04-03-2003, 07:46 PM
I don't exactly play anything on a daily basis, but I know how to play the clarinet and the recorder and that's about it lol.

I would love to learn to play violin, but my heart actually goes out to the fiddle :p I've been begging for lessons for years!

kingrattus
04-03-2003, 07:49 PM
I taught myself the keyboard (a big one), I know how to play the trumpet & trombone quite well, I also enjoyed the drums a few times & an electric getar (apparently I have the perfect fingers for it)

RockyRoad
04-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Cello, a touch of violin, some piano, recorder, and some organ. I've tried a trumpet once or twice, but it took a lot of air for me. :)

Karen
04-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Started on piano, every child in my family did - you had to get through the 2nd John Thompson book before you were allowed another instrument. I used to play clarinet, Bari sax, and various sizes of both instruments when I was still in school.

Now I play recorder occasionally, handbells every week (just back from rehearsal), and I sing. I play piano, but not well unless I've practiced, my left hand is slower than my right, always has been, despite years of boring-borings. (That's waht we called those standard piano exercizes, and their real name escapes me at the moment! Hannon!)

wolflady
04-03-2003, 08:19 PM
It's been awhile for me too, but I marched the clarinet in high school and college, played it in a variety of bands as well, and I can play the tenor sax also.
I tried to teach myself the piano and guitar...but didn't get too far:o

wolfsoul
04-03-2003, 08:32 PM
OOh, I forgot to add voice lol. I love to sing, and I got an award last year in school for the highest mark in choir! :D It runs in the family lol, my aunt sings in a band, and my dad was asked to be the lead singer of a band but he turned it down ahk....it might have been good for him too, because at the time one of the nickelback singers was in that band :(

aly
04-03-2003, 09:12 PM
I started out on piano when I was younger.

In 7th grade, I joined the marching and concert bands and played percussion. In high school, I marched on the drum line (only girl all through juinor high and high school, hehe) and also played in the concert band. I loved it but stopped in college because I had too much studying to do.

iceyshiver21
04-03-2003, 09:17 PM
Trumpet!! :D I love it, but I hate how everyone thinks its so easy because it only has three keys, it requires alots of air too. It would be great for some of the big mouths around here....(not to mention anyone) hehehe LOL! Its the perfect insraument for me!

Felicia's Mom
04-03-2003, 09:17 PM
I can play the piano, but I haven't for a long time.

aly
04-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by iceyshiver21
Trumpet!! :D I love it, but I hate how everyone thinks its so easy because it only has three keys, it requires alots of air too. It would be great for some of the big mouths around here....(not to mention anyone) hehehe LOL! Its the perfect insraument for me!

Hahahahahahaaha, omg that was funny :D :D

I respect the difficulty of playing trumpet. I don't think I could do it.

Kfamr
04-03-2003, 09:51 PM
I can play the guitar, drums, and piano.... i don't do it on a daily bases though.

Cheshirekatt
04-03-2003, 10:47 PM
I've played classical piano for almost 20 years and I played the clarinet in marching band in school.

lovemyshiba
04-03-2003, 10:52 PM
No:(
I took clarinet lessons for a day in elementary school, but I really want to learn the piano.
My husband, on the other hand, has all of the musical talent. He can sing, plays drums, and guitar--his whole family has the talent--his mom plays piano, brother plays guitar, bass, and saxaphone, cousin plays piano, cousin plays viola, and another cousin plays guitar and sings!!

kingrattus
04-03-2003, 11:16 PM
I played the trumpet for 4 yrs until I became horribly ill, then I didn't have the air nor lungs to keep up.. so I tried the trombone & had the same problem, but I was able to pretend I was playing or I only did short songs

04-04-2003, 05:59 AM
I learned to play the piano as a child. But I haven't played it for at least 20 years...! Will be rusty, I think:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can play the flute too.

KRISTEN14
04-04-2003, 06:23 AM
I played violin for 2 years, and viola for 1 year. I am like viola much better because of the deeper sound.:)

Logan
04-04-2003, 07:18 AM
I said "yes", but if you had a choice of "sort of", it would have been more accurate! :o I can play the piano a bit, but that's about it.

My daughter, Helen, has been playing the flute since she was in the second grade. I wish I had been offered this opportunity, but I transferred to a small private school in the sixth grade, and band was not an option. I would encourage anyone who has the opportunity to learn to read music and play an instrument. Wish I had been more diligent when I was younger. I can read music, which is so helpful, but that's about where my talents stop.

Fuzzy317
04-04-2003, 07:42 AM
I played percussion in school, different types or drums, chimes, most anything they needed.

Vio&Juni
04-04-2003, 08:11 AM
Violin

HoRsELUvR
04-04-2003, 03:35 PM
I play clarinet and saxophone.

weiner_teddy
04-04-2003, 03:39 PM
I used to play instruments throuhgout my school days, nut I could never stick with it. I first tried playing the violin, then on to the flute, and guitar. I just couldn't motivate myself to practice. But, every once and a while I can play a tune on my piano!

cali
04-04-2003, 03:41 PM
used to play flute, but when we got new band teacher everyone hated her, and quite went from over 100 people to about 40 in one year:eek: I hated her and left as well, I have ashma and she always got mad at me cuz I could not go 4 measures w/o taking a breath:rolleyes: not to mention she gave the grad 6's cake and candy ALL the time all we got was screamed at , she calling us awful, and worse the the grad 6 band:mad:

rizzy
04-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Yeah I play the drums.:D

Cookiebaker
04-04-2003, 09:39 PM
Guess I"m in the minority here. I've always wanted to learn how to play the piano, but my parents couldn't afford lessons. Maybe someday, though!

Karen
04-04-2003, 11:42 PM
It's never too late! My sister and her husband teach piano and woodwinds, this weekend is the big competition, which happens to be held in Newton every year!

But she specializes, with her husband, in teaching adults as well as children. Adults get different lessons, and a parent/child combination never has the same book/lesson/teacher, so they never feel they have to "compete" with each other.

It's never too late! :)

Cookiebaker
04-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Karen
It's never too late! My sister and her husband teach piano and woodwinds, this weekend is the big competition, which happens to be held in Newton every year!

But she specializes, with her husband, in teaching adults as well as children. Adults get different lessons, and a parent/child combination never has the same book/lesson/teacher, so they never feel they have to "compete" with each other.

It's never too late! :)

Thanks for your encouragement, Karen :) Maybe I will start looking in to it. I'll look in the paper and see if there are any teachers around in this area. I just need to get over being embarrassed for being a newbie. :o

primabella
04-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
OOh, I forgot to add voice lol. I love to sing, and I got an award last year in school for the highest mark in choir! :D It runs in the family lol, my aunt sings in a band, and my dad was asked to be the lead singer of a band but he turned it down ahk....it might have been good for him too, because at the time one of the nickelback singers was in that band :(

Are you serious? Nickleback? Aww, I like them..Hehe.

I play keyboard but haven't in awhile. It's sitting there in the garage next to the acoustic guitar and drums. We all started with something but never went back to them. I tried out for drums but the teacher said I didn't have it. Oh well. lol

ellensy
04-05-2003, 09:57 AM
piano

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
04-05-2003, 08:47 PM
I've got a new one that nobody has mentioned... I play French Horn.... :) I've been in band since 6th grade... (I am an 8th grader..) and I will continue through HS. I am also in the process of learning acoustic guitar. I love French Horn!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen
04-05-2003, 08:59 PM
French Horn was my Mom's favorite instrument, so I asked if I could play that, but the teacher in my Elelemtary school said, "No, that's not a beginner's instrument. If you start on trumpet, you can switch to French horn later." Well, I didn't want to play trumpet, my big brother played (and still does) trumpet, and I wanted to be different! So no French Horn for me!

When, in 4th grade, they sent home the form for "What instrument do you want to play" I first checked off "Violin!"

Brought that to school, was told "No, we don't teach that, our town is too small for an orchestra. Pick a band instrument."

So I picked French Horn. The results were as above.

Next I decided, okay, how about trombone?

We went to the instrument rental place, and the lady told me "No, your arms are too short."

My sister played flute, so I didn't want that ...

Finally settled on Clarinet, the only one they had left was a silver metal one, so I started two weeks after everyone else, and with a very weird looking clarinet! And BOY was it cold for marching band practice! I was grateful when my parents bought me a normal black one a year later! Now that's the one my eldest niece has been playing ...

P.S. Bragging time - my (younger- she's 9) niece just called, and at the big competition this weekend, she got 2nd place for her whole age-group (Standard, age 9, she played a Schuman piece), and her brother got first-place for his! (15 + up, open Pop) So their Mom, my sister, is a good teacher! :) (We knew that, but still, it's fun!)

BastetsMum
04-06-2003, 05:39 AM
Ok - I started on piano accordian, moved to piano/keyboard and singing then moved to flute.

I can play the flute, piccolo and alto flute.

Bastet loves it when I practise. She sits under my chair and purrs!

I am trying to become a better player so that one day I might be able to teach music :) At least that is my goal at present :)

ScantyNebula
04-06-2003, 09:49 AM
Used to play the piano .. then got into guitar .. then bass guitar! I don't really do much of it now but it was fun and I would like to pick it up again some day (when I get the time)! :)

iceyshiver21
04-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Me and My Trumpet-
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/pd5c0e42f5337d137a072af01bcbdd402/fc6269a0.jpg

Freckles
04-06-2003, 03:13 PM
Played the clarinet in grade school.

In the '60's, Public Broadcasting TV had a few series on acoustic guitar so I redeemed our Green stamps for a guitar, purchased the instruction manuals and followed the lessons. I enjoyed that but haven't played for a few years. Hmmm, now that I'm retired, don't have that excuse. Guess I'll have to build the callouses and start again.:)

Dogz
04-06-2003, 03:29 PM
I used to play the piano, but it just wasn't my thing... now, I play the Alto Saxophone!

Cincy'sMom
04-06-2003, 04:29 PM
I took organ lsessons for a short time when I was in K or 1st grade...

In 5th grade I started the fluta andplayed that through 8th grade.

My sophomore year I decided to joing the band again and this time I taught my self (with the help of an older friend to learn the fingering) to play the French Horn. I haven't played anything much since I graduated from high school (almost 10 years ago!), but every now and then I pull my flute out and goof around a bit.

moosmom
04-07-2003, 07:59 AM
I play the guitar. Years ago my grandmother got my older brother a guitar with greenstamps :eek: remember them???) He learned to play on his own. When he wasn't around, I taught myself. After my brother got a limited edition Gibson, he gave the greenstamp guitar to me. I played that till I got real good. My parents then went out and bought me a Gibson and again, the good ole greenstamp guitar got handed down to my cousin to learn. And the lesson goes on.

I wish I learned to play the piano. But as with my entire physique, my fingers are short and stumpy.

I also played the violin in 6th grade.