PDA

View Full Version : During the day?

mpoier
04-03-2003, 04:03 PM
I have a question for everyone:

I have a yellow lab puppy who is now 8 months old and normally during the day while my husband and I are at work, we put him in a comfy space in the garage.

My husband has now built a new kennel/run and doghouse for Ceebers and I'm concerned about leaving him outside all day long! :(

Is he old enough to be outside, he has enough space, nice doghouse, etc...???

I worry about my baby of course!

CB's mom

http://images.ofoto.com/photos293/2/76/53/67/22/0/22675376205_0_SM.jpg

Kfamr
04-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Where do you live? Is it normally hot during the day? Is there shade for him? Will you leave food and water for him?

mpoier
04-03-2003, 04:49 PM
We live in the Seattle area, so its still pretty rainy right now. He has plenty of undercover space, along with his new house. We will definately leave food and water out. The area is a mix of shade and sun during the day...

We are planning on letting him stay out during the day at/near the end of the month when the weather gets better.

Porcy
04-03-2003, 06:14 PM
One thing: gotta think if someone would steal him.You gotta watch out.

tatsxxx11
04-03-2003, 06:43 PM
I work with Lab rescue, and while many of the applicants mean well, anyone who plans on leaving their dog outdoors, unsupervised, even in a kennel, for any lengthy period of time is automatically rejected. Is your pup crate trained? I'm just wondering if he is still unable to be left alone during the day? Why must he be confined to a garage???? If he has puppy issues with being destructive/not housebroken, those issues need to be worked on now, and crating will help, along with obedience. Most resuce groups would encourage you to either come home at midday during lunch for a quick outie, or ask a neighbor or hire a dog walker, to come and take your dog out for a short walk, midday etc. Dogs left outdoors alone, unsupervised, especially an anxious puppy, is subject to injury and may in fact become more frantic, knocking over his water bowl, food, spending countless hours barking. And many dogs left outdoors, even in kennels, are stolen. Whatever you do, DO NOT leave your dog on a cable run or tie out. Many dogs have been found dead, strangled by their lead, or wrapped around a tree; especially Labs who are easily tempted to chase the scurrying squirrel! If you dog is not permitted, or unable to behave appropriately given free roam of the house, I would suggest trying crate training, or confining him to a safe, clean area of your home where he can do little damage and hire someone to come walk him. Labs are high energy dogs that do not do well with countless hours of inactivity/confinement. Most of our surrenders are from families who "don't have the time," or the energy to deal with an active Labbie. Labs are NOT "hyper;" they are high energy sporting dogs that need a lot of exercise! Just wondering why he cannot be left alone indoors yet?? If he has behavioral issues, like not being housebroken, destructive, you need to deal with them NOW! I know you want the best for your dear Ceebers!:) Just wanted to share my experience! Good luck and let us know how it goes! Sandra

mpoier
04-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Ceebers is crate trained
my husband and I come home everyday during lunch and let him out to play for an hour and go potty

He is in the garage because we want to set him up for success, rather than a possibility of being distructive during the day, and we allow him in the house when he can be supervised at all times (my dog trainer told me that, I trust his judgement)....believe me, his space in the garage is not a bad one....has a huge bed, plenty of toys, a heater, a TV, etc...and no damage has been done. As a matter of fact, he's so well trained that we say, "kennel" and he will go in any of the 3 beds that we have made for him to be safe and comfy.

I think I'm further along in the training process than has been assumed.

I would NEVER tie up my baby or put him in harms way......and if you think about it, any dog can be stolen if outside, right? We microchip our dogs to help keep them safe...?????? its OUR responsibility to keep our dogs safe.

Sorry for the defensive reply, but I really am thinking in the best interests of my dog, not me.

Thanks for your input.

M

wolfsoul
04-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Didn't sound defensive to me :)

If he's so good in the garage, then why can't he just stay there? Is he having puppy accidents? Or are you just looking for a change of environment for him? :confused:

and if you think about it, any dog can be stolen if outside, right? We microchip our dogs to help keep them safe...??????
I've heard horror stories about people stealing dogs, cutting them open and getting the chip :eek: All they need is this special scanner thing that will tell them where it is :eek:

aly
04-04-2003, 10:02 AM
If he's crate trained and not destructive in the garage, could you leave him in the house?

I start all my babies in the crate then start leaving them in a bedroom while I'm gone. If they do okay with that for awhile, they then have free run of the house.

mpoier
04-04-2003, 10:10 AM
Wow, I had no idea that there were people out there sick enough to do those things.....

Anyway, I might try the one room thing, then graduate him as he is trusted.....he's at a point now where he can literally chew CARPET apart from the floor of our house...I have more toys to keep him occupied though, so that helps.

Thanks for all of your ideas and support.

aly
04-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Have you tried stuffed kongs or buster cubes or any of those kind of toys? They work wonders :)

There's even receipe sites for them.

mpoier
04-04-2003, 11:29 AM
I have this molecule ball that is awesome! It fits like 2 cups of food in it! I feed him that way sometimes! He loves his kongs too. I'll keep using those and go from there!

Logan
04-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Good luck to you, whatever you decide. I think it totally depends on where you are as to how much you can trust your dog outside, and the people around you.

I am fortunate enough to have a home office these days, and have for about 3 1/2 years now. So I'm home most of the time. But, I will admit, at the risk of angering some of my best Pet Talk friends, that I did leave my dogs outdoors a lot at my previous house, when I worked in an office (always came home at lunch) and when I ran errands or went out for a few hours. My two Golden Retrievers never tried to leave the yard, and there was no high incident of dog thefts in our area, so I never worried about that either. One of them definitely preferred to be outdoors, and it just made sense to do it. Of course, when there was inclimate weather, I didn't leave them outdoors. But I did this even when Lilly was a young puppy. In hind sight, I might have done it a little bit differently.

Bottom line is that you need to trust your judgement. My situation was different because I had two, always, to entertain each other, not just one dog. I still leave my dogs out on occasion, but only when the weather is simply so gorgeous that I think they need to be outside! Today, I'm at home, and I have one of the sliding glass doors open and they can come and go as they please. Guess what? They are all inside, sleeping right here beside me! LOL!!! :)

mpoier
04-04-2003, 01:43 PM
How sweet, I can't wait for Ceebers to be a little bit older so he can do what he pleases, right now I just worry about the little guy so much that I just want to do the right thing.

what I might do is wait until a sunny weekend, put him outside (while I am inside) and observe how he does. That may be a good way to test it.

:)

tatsxxx11
04-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Gosh, sorry to have upset you so! I certainly didn't mean to! You said you were concerned about leaving him outdoors, and asked for support/suggestions so I just wanted to relate to you my experiences and some problems others I know have had when deciding whether or not to leave their dogs outdoors, i.e using cable runs, tie outs, etc. I never said you intended to. It was just a general remark, as many who mean well, don't realize that they can be dangerous. As for the garage, just wondering if he was having issues, like chewing, etc. Sounds like he's in Labbie heaven in there. Sounds like you've got things well under control, have a plan that's working, have a great trainer you trust and a pup that's making great strides in obedience. I'm sure you'll do great!:)

mpoier
04-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Thanks for your reply!

My feelings aren't hurt. I just want what's best for my Ceebers....we learn something new everyday, and I learn from HIM much more than he could ever learn from me! :)

Dogs are so in tune with us! I never thought the connection would be so great when I first got him, but it sure didn't take long for him to become my life-long companion (besides my husband of course!) .

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Michelle:D

Cinder & Smoke
04-04-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by mpoier
...believe me, his space in the garage is not a bad one....
has a huge bed, plenty of toys, a heater, a TV, etc...
and no damage has been done...

Sounds like a nice pad! And a TV to boot!! :)
Is Ceebers *crated* in the garage, or free to roam?

Is the new kennel & run next to the garage?
If so - how about a Dawggie Door to let him pick for himself - inside or out?

mpoier
04-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Ceebers has an exercise pen in our garage that offers about 20 sq feet of space for him to move around in. He watches discovery Channel and Animal Planet too! Its soo funny when dog shows are on, he just sits and watches for hours!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3dd00b3127cce9529bd2b0b4a0000001010

tatsxxx11
04-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Awwwwww, he's such a handsome boy!!!:) What a smile! And did you REALLY mean to say that husband's came before the dog??;) Just kidding! But they truly are such amazing, devoted, loving "best friends!!" Sounds like you have a real gem there! My yellow Labbie Star sends happy butt wiggles and slurpy kisses!

mpoier
04-04-2003, 05:25 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3da25b3127cce95bb93b604b80000001010

This is my favorite picture of when he was a baby....isn't he just a sweet little thing? :)

tatsxxx11
04-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Look at those feet!!:D Labbie puppies (all puppies!) are just the most precious things, aren't they??? You're giving me puppy pangs!:D

Kfamr
04-04-2003, 07:24 PM
I dunno.. We left Simba in s crazte in the garage, big enough for him to walk around in and we left a fan on for him, because it gets hot in there too. Maybe You could buy your pup a large crate and keep him in the garage or in the house, even better.

joycenalex
04-04-2003, 10:03 PM
there are rotten humans/kids that would enjoy tormenting a kenneled dog, is the proposed kennel in a safe and secure area? also the possiblity of dog theft does exist. dogs also do/can become boredom barkers if they are outside.

wolf_Q
04-05-2003, 11:57 AM
I leave Nebo outside during the day. I hope no Pet Talkers think I'm wrong for doing that. :confused:

First of all, I live with my parents, and it is *not* allowed to have a dog running loose in the house when people are gone. I didn't make the rules here. So, either he'd have to be in a crate while I'm at work...where he couldn't really move around/go potty, etc....Or...the other alternative, which he loves...

I have a large (10x14 ft I think) dog run in our backyard. Our backyard is also fenced mostly with wood, so people can't see in it. It's hard to explain, but the way it's situated, at the bottom of a hill, it can't be seen driving on the road. The dog run is covered, with wood, wire, and tarp so it's strong enough for snow (plus it's slanted)...he has an Igloo inside also (not that he uses it :rolleyes: ) Every day when I leave for work I leave some sort of toy like a kong, milkbone ball, etc. with a treat in it and of course there's food and water. He's never even tried to dig out, but I think I'm going to put some bricks around the edge this summer.

He doesn't mind the dog run at all, he goes right in it, and he's usually asleep when I come home from work. Oh, and I have a padlock I put on it when I leave of course! I'd *never* leave him out there w/o it locked. And well, he's a husky, and he honestly enjoys the time outdoors, and with a breed like that, I don't worry about him being cold. Plus he's not a barker, so he doesn't bother the neighbors.

Anyway, I'm kind of rambling on here, lol. If I had my own house, he'd stay inside free (with doors shut lol) during the day, but for now I can't do that. And I think he's happier out there then he would be in a crate...my opinion. He's ALWAYS inside the second I'm home--and he sleeps in my room at night! :) Ok I'll shut up now. I guess my whole point here is that leaving a dog outside would have to depend on the situation and the dog.