PDA

View Full Version : Why is this???

ScantyNebula
04-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Ok ...this is something I always notice Toby doing, and I dont' know why! Everytime he smells stuff, like really getting in deep and sniffing all the smell out of it, he opens his mouth a bit and it stays like it until he sorta stops 'zoning' out. Its hilarious :D You think they do it because they can smell better or something :confused:

bluekat
04-03-2003, 07:43 AM
Hmmmmm.......that's interesting. I never see my cats sniff something like that. Maybe there's something in the things he smell that he likes. My cats only act like that with catnip. Also, if I'm eating something that they really like, they come up and smell my mouth for a long time. I've seen one of my cats a couple of times sniffing the floor, and his nose whould be touching the floor. He then sticks his tongue out and gives it a few licks, then leaves :confused: I don't know why he does that.

ScantyNebula
04-03-2003, 07:47 AM
Yea, he smells everything ... especially socks..he loves to smell our socks after a long days work ROFL....we got back from the vet and he was smelling his carrier like that for like a half hour??? :confused: bizarre...

Logan
04-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Mimi does that!!!! Strange behavior, but she has always done that!!! :)

bluekat
04-03-2003, 07:50 AM
LOL, I don't think my cats have ever smelled socks before. I heard on a show that a cats's favourite smell are people's armpits:eek: I'm not joking, but I don't know if its true!

HayleyRosie
04-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Hayley smells her carrier like that when she comes back from the vets as well.

ScantyNebula
04-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Its soo strange! :D

K & L
04-03-2003, 08:02 AM
This is called flehming, the cat isdrawing the odors into an organ (Jacobson's organ), in the roof of its mouth.

ScantyNebula
04-03-2003, 08:15 AM
victory! So it makes them smell better or something like that?

Lerah021399
04-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by bluekat
I heard on a show that a cats's favourite smell are people's armpits:eek: I'm not joking, but I don't know if its true!

It is definitely true of my kitty Jack...if my husband is laying on the couch and has his arm raised up, Jack will literally try to bury his head in my husband's armpit:eek: ...and yes, he does the open mouth thing too! I have heard it does help them to smell better.

04-03-2003, 09:29 AM
Maybe his nose is blocked??? Well, that's how humans act when they have a cold:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

rosethecopycat
04-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by K & L
This is called flehming, the cat isdrawing the odors into an organ (Jacobson's organ), in the roof of its mouth.

Thanks K & L .

I was searching for the name of that gland, I thought it was Johnson's or Thompson's ...:rolleyes:
So, it's an organ, not a gland?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by ScantyNebula
victory! So it makes them smell better or something like that?

Yes, it gets "more" of the scent to them, so to speak. You know how sometimes you smell something and it smells just like something else tastes? ('course I can't think of a good example right now) Well it's something like that. They use both their noses and this Jacobsen's organ to get the full scent of things. Seems they only do it when they're really interested in a smell.

I think it's funny when they are smelling something like that, then turn away and are onto something else, but forget to close their mouths. ;) :D

ScantyNebula
04-03-2003, 11:23 AM
yea!! Thats what makes me laugh! I'm like "Tob!! Close you mouth!" It looks so cute!

Kirsten
04-03-2003, 11:34 AM
K & L is right, it's flehming. They do it whenever they smell something very interesting, for example a cat in heat. It's an additional sense, something between smelling and tasting.

Rose: It's true, it's an organ, not a gland.

Kirsten

jenluckenbach
04-03-2003, 04:07 PM
K & L beat me to it, but yes, if they want a REALLY good sniff of something, you see them do that. I always laugh when they do it to Honey's feet. I say "woo hoo they must really stink!"

Miss Meow
04-03-2003, 04:48 PM
I always wondered why Mini did that - thanks for the info :)

ScantyNebula
04-03-2003, 05:15 PM
yea I didn't know if Toby was odd or something, but I kinda figured there was something to it. Now I know :) thanks

Soledad
04-03-2003, 05:27 PM
I love it when Boo does that!! He always does it after smelling our shoes!:p

Nomilynn
04-03-2003, 05:53 PM
it's called "hooing" in PT land :) That's the cute name for it. Bassett ALWAYS does that after sniffing her own butt.. and it makes me laugh EVERY time.. I keep telling her if she would just wipe ;) :p :D

Barbara
04-04-2003, 01:43 AM
Jacobson's organ is an organ many animals have but humans don't have. It is an extra "sense" additional to tasting and smelling.

I agree: they look too cute if they use it. I notice that they mostly use it when some smell could have something sexual or yucky in it.

K & L
04-04-2003, 07:28 AM
Especially when they smell other cat urine!!!:eek:

lynnestankard
04-04-2003, 08:18 AM
Very true Lisa - these three idiots go into the garden (especially when other cats have visited) and sometimes all three are wandering about with that 'zonked' expression onn their face - with mouths open!! Talk about all the lunatics not being in the asylum!! LOL!

Lynne

ScantyNebula
04-04-2003, 09:01 AM
ROFL "zonked" thats a good word. :) Now whenever Toby does this I'll tell him to stop "zonking" haha :D

aguu
04-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Misha does the armpit thing!
He usually sleeps curled up "in" my armpit and even tries to lick it but runs off when I start to laugh (I'm very ticklish!)
Silly kitty...:rolleyes: