PDA

View Full Version : Canada Is Being Invaded!!!!!

kingrattus
04-02-2003, 10:37 PM
LOTS of people in Toronto are sick & some r dying, the virus is now in Ottawa, I live in OTTAWA!!! & i work in one of the worst places to catch it. In a Post Office... I'm really sick right now & I have to get checked & my manages is scared I might have the Virus.. Its called "Sars".

Rob is an Armored Truck driver & his company has told all their employees to stay the hell away hospitals. They aren't allowed to service the debit machines there...

This sucks :( :( :(

AmberLee
04-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Good luck. From what I hear it's hitting those who have other physical challenges and the health workers the hardest.

Perhaps you'd feel better by getting more info. There's a good page at CDC (http://www.cdc.gov). (See the second bullet from the top, at least as of the time of this post.

Hope you're feeling better very soon. I'll hold you in my prayers.

kingrattus
04-02-2003, 11:07 PM
Thank you Amberlee... this is what I found & now I'm crying cause I'm so scared..
-------------------
What are the symptoms and signs of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)?
The illness usually begins with a fever (measured temperature greater than 100.4°F [>38.0°C]). The fever is sometimes associated with chills or other symptoms, including headache, general feeling of discomfort, and body aches. Some people also experience mild respiratory symptoms at the outset.

After 2 to 7 days, SARS patients may develop a dry, nonproductive cough that might be accompanied by or progress to the point where insufficient oxygen is getting to the blood. In 10% to 20% of cases, patients will require mechanical ventilation.
----------------------
This is what I'm feeling
- I don't know about a fever but I've been getting quite hot & will sweat
- I have a horrilbe & very unusual headahe (I've never felt this way before) & today is my second day with it
- general feeling of discomfort
- body aches
- a dry, nonproductive cough (I started a coughing today)

I almost wish I didn't go to ur link, cause I'm not gonna sleep easely...

This isn't fair :( :( :(

popcornbird
04-02-2003, 11:07 PM
You're talking about the SARS virus right? "Severe acute repiratory system" Its spreading around the world! It origniates from China I think. This just sucks. :( I hope they can control it soon.

Hopefully yours will be nothing but a cold/flu. GO TO THE DOCTOR if you're concerned! :(

kingrattus
04-02-2003, 11:12 PM
I also found this on it too
----------------
What medical treatment is recommended for patients with SARS?
CDC currently recommends that patients with SARS receive the same treatment that would be used for any patient with serious community-acquired atypical pneumonia of unknown cause
---------------
I had walking pneumonia many yrs ago & it was a nightmare!! I don't want to go through it again, it was so painful & not comffy at al... sleeping on a chair (sitting) for 2 months is horrible & only being able to walk a few feet until u couldn't breath isn't fun... just hearing the word pneumonia gives me horrible chills, I wouldn't wich it one my worse enemy... ok enemys

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-02-2003, 11:16 PM
... I am sorry to hear about this...
I will keep you in my prayers. Have you seen a doctor? Hang in there.

wolf_Q
04-02-2003, 11:19 PM
That is so scarey, Kingrattus...hope you get to the doctor soon! Let us know!

AmberLee
04-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Here is more information on SARS (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,439860,00.html) -- I've learned that reading about symptoms can bring them on for me. Try taking some positive action like seeing a doctor and taking more vitamin C and zinc tablets. A friend swears by a herb -- think it's called gold seal?

Panicking will not help. Apparently your boyfriend can wear a mask and that will reduce the chances he'll pick up the bug when he's on his rounds (small comfort, but ...)

Good luck.

Karen
04-02-2003, 11:26 PM
Do go to the doctor ASAP, okay? Knowing will be easier than worrying about it. Not everyone who gets it dies, but it IS scary. Either way, see a doctor, then you can get some sleep.

Rob should definitely wear a facemask and disposable gloves on his route.

kingrattus
04-03-2003, 12:12 AM
I'm going to a walk in clinic before class tomorrow.

kingrattus
04-03-2003, 12:23 AM
I just got this email from my college..
--------------
The following message is from Dr. Rick Rowland, Health Services,
Algonquin College.

There is genuine concern over the risk of spreading SARS despite the
current absence of confirmed cases in the Ottawa area.

If you are sick, stay home. It doesn't have to be SARS for this to make
sense.

Most people with fever and cough do not have SARS. Most people have
"normal" colds or bronchitis. If you have not been in contact with
someone who came recently from a SARS part of the world and who was also
sick, it is extremely unlikely you have SARS.

If you really think you might have SARS, call the hot-line number:
(613) 724-4222
You should do this before you go to a hospital or doctor's office.

It appears that SARS is caused by a virus very much like the common
cold, except it causes more severe disease. Since we know how colds are
passed from one person to another, it makes sense to use the same
principles to avoid passing on SARS.

Most colds are caught from our own hands. We touch door handles,
keyboards, and other objects that have previously been touched by
someone with virus on their hands. Once we have virus on our hands, we
unthinkingly rub our eyes or touch our nasal membranes (nose-pick),
which infects us with the virus. Coughing, sneezing, kissing and sharing
drinks or cigarettes are other possible ways to spread the infection.

Wash your hands after touching any potentially dirty surface. Use paper
towel or tissue to turn off the tap and open the door.

This is a bad time of year for a student to become ill. Proper rest and
nutrition is always helpful. Please be careful for yourself and for
others.
----------------------

So I guess I can't go to school tomorrow, yay nor go to their clinic, another yay... Now I gotta try to get to the walk in clinic in this area... yay :( :( :(

04-03-2003, 02:58 AM
Poor you..;, please go asap to that clinic. Then, if you don't have it, you will feel a lot easier!
You are in my prayers, that's for sure!!!

ramanth
04-03-2003, 08:16 AM
It's already crossed the borders and a few people in Michigan have it from what I heard on the 11 o clock news. :(

Everyone take care.

*hugs*

anna_66
04-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Well, I hope it's only a cold. Try not to get yourself too worked up worrying, that could just make you feel worse.
But I really would get to the clinic ASAP just to make sure it isn't SARS.
I'll be thinking of you. Please keep us update

Corinna
04-03-2003, 10:01 AM
What happened at the clinic? So far no deaths here in the US from it. Makes me nervious my daughter has had a bad cold like sickness for 2 weeks. Dr says just a bad one due to poor eating habits and lack of caring properly for her self.(why do kids (21) think they are invincible?) She lives on her own but has been on my couch on all her days off. They is a really strong cold bug going on here in nw montana.
King hope you get good results and DO take what ever meds they give you. Daughter got sicker from the meds so she quit taking it and is worse. KIDS!!!!!!

emily_the_spoiled
04-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Did you phone the hotline number that the College provided?

At least in the West they are not recommending that people go to their local clinic or MD's office. The health officers are suggesting that you go directly to the ER of your local hospital. If after phoning the hotline number you believe that you have SARS please phone ahead to the ER and let them know that you are coming in. That way they can isolate you so you don't pass it on to other people (if you have SARS).

Please be careful...

kingrattus
04-03-2003, 07:35 PM
I slept all day today & didn't have a way to get there, but tomorrow I will have a ride for sure... I would walk to a bus stop, but I can hardly walk from one side of the house to the other without becoming tired & falling asleep

HoRsELUvR
04-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Be careful!Don't get sick!

Jessica12345
04-03-2003, 08:14 PM
ohh! thats horrible. i wish you much luck and ill be thinking of you! take care.. ***hugs***:(

RockyRoad
04-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Wow, sounds pretty scary. Hoping you stay well and be okay.
{{{Hugs}}}

iceyshiver21
04-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Be very careful and take car of yourself you must find a doctor and avoid work......I dont know much about this, but I have a feeling not many of us do....take care of yourself.

anna_66
04-04-2003, 08:31 AM
Wondering how your feeling today, update when you can.

kingrattus
04-04-2003, 10:22 AM
I'm ok, but I'm still sick & my head hurts sooo much

04-06-2003, 03:55 AM
How are you feeling now? I am really worried; we see on tne news here that lots of people in Canada are in hospital...
I hope that you don't have this:) !!!

kingrattus
04-06-2003, 07:22 AM
No, I'm ok right now. I have my first migrain (sp), & it was making me sick, this is day 5 with it so I'm still not feeling the best... stupid brain :mad:

primabella
04-06-2003, 11:04 AM
I'm scared about this thing too. My sister had a fever a week ago but she's been sleeping since last night. I'm worried. I just hope it gets under control. :(:(:(

kingrattus
04-06-2003, 11:44 PM
I hope ur sister gets better soon.