PDA

View Full Version : School closure

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 01:31 PM
in orange county CA
Mater Dei hi school students were told by the buena park police dept that their school would be closed today. Officials are worried that an anti war protest could turn violent.

mugsy
04-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Nice....anti war, but violence is ok to get your point across. Talk about hypocracy. Gives peaceful protesters a bad name (not that I think they should be doing it anyway).

Edwina's Secretary
04-02-2003, 02:44 PM
I admit to being confused by this opposition to protest.

If this rule that "it is wrong to protest while our young men and women are in an armed conflict" existed would we still be fighting in Viet Nam?

If it is wrong to protest or speak against a president while we are in an armed conflict couldn't an unscrupulous president simply declare a war, send a bunch of men and women off somewhere and therefore be immune from criticism?

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it!

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

If this rule that "it is wrong to protest while our young men and women are in an armed conflict" existed would we still be fighting in Viet Nam?

If it is wrong to protest or speak against a president while we are in an armed conflict couldn't an unscrupulous president simply declare a war, send a bunch of men and women off somewhere and therefore be immune from criticism?

prostest all you want.....but why do people have to be scared that violence will break out????? at an ANTI WAR PROTEST??

Edwina's Secretary
04-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Here's an interesting juxaposition for you. A warning about violence breaking out at the Dixie Chicks concert because of an anti-war comment!

Physician, heal thyself!

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Here's an interesting juxaposition for you. A warning about violence breaking out at the Dixie Chicks concert because of an anti-war comment!

Physician, heal thyself!

juxaposition???? where did you get that from? the kama sutra???

tell you what i have been to a DC concert, they were fighting in there long before that comment....

Soledad
04-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Oh, but all people who are for the war are such righteous, perfect people that they can criticise and throw stones at those who disagree with them, didn't you know that, Sara?

People, just because people are not for this war does not mean they are pacifists. They are not necessarily against ALL violence or ALL war. :rolleyes:

Pam
04-02-2003, 03:38 PM
To be perfectly honest we have been told that assembling in large crowds these days has its risks as it seems that is where a terrorist could inflict some damage. Just think - someone comes to an anti-war rally and blows themself up. Think about the irony of that. I still think the effective part of this battle will be waged and won in the privacy of one's own home on their knees. Just my humble opinion.

mugsy
04-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Sounds exactly like a scene from the movie the Siege

Soledad
04-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Then maybe people shouldn't be going to "alternative - Dixie Chicks"concerts and pro-war rallies...:rolleyes:

Pam
04-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
Then maybe people shouldn't be going to "alternative - Dixie Chicks"concerts and pro-war rallies...:rolleyes:

People can go wherever they want to go. That is the freedom we have. I just question the wisdom at this particular time.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 03:49 PM
Well then question the wisdom of EVERYONE who chooses not to live in fear. Not just the ones you disagree with.

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 04:02 PM
the topic is school closures, not pop music.

and mugs, please, no movie reviews.......

pam, enough about irony, buy wash and wear or permanent press!

Soledad
04-02-2003, 04:10 PM
At least I had the respect not to bombard your thread with completely unrelated articles and nonsensical comments.:rolleyes:

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 04:27 PM

look, have every right to hammer the president, but get some
skin, because we have every right to hammer you back, laugh at you, mock you, and generally smile when we read people's posts.

stand face a corner, talk for about 45 minutes straight.....

why the attitude????????? you say your prez is unscrupulous and annointed and he swiped the election........well, tell you what, just as you think, and speak, so do we, if you deny us the right to laugh, mock, and generally smile then you aren't allowing us our right to speech.....

GET A GRIP............and respect other people's right to disagree with you........you stand on the freedom of speech soapbox but when it comes time to hear the opposition you kick and scream
because it's OUR TURN.....

be careful of what you ask for, you may get it and not respect or
value it's meaning.........

that's the danger of being selfish with personal rights.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 04:32 PM
RICHARD, once again you've missed the point entirely. She's talking about hypocrisy. In particular your hypocrisy in realising that violence and ill-mannered protesters or groups of people are not only from the left.

Maybe if you'd take all of five minutes before spouting off emotional rants, rather than logical lines of argument, Sara wouldn't have so much "attitude."

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 04:37 PM
I'm curious...do you fancy yourself the Pope or the Queen?

Your use of the first person plural and your delusional ranting lead me to this question.....

why do you want to be part of my kingdom?????

you can be my queen!

catland
04-02-2003, 04:38 PM
OK - I have to ask, Richard, SOLEDAD, how long have you two been married?:D ;) :D

The school closure thing is sad. Up my way we're having to close schools early this year because we're out of money, but we're having to cough up over $5 million to pay for the police for the marches. sigh

Soledad
04-02-2003, 04:42 PM
The thought of being married to RICHARD is so repugnant, I can't even begin.:eek:

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by catland
OK - I have to ask, Richard, SOLEDAD, how long have you two been married?:D ;) :D

The school closure thing is sad. Up my way we're having to close schools early this year because we're out of money, but we're having to cough up over $5 million to pay for the police for the marches. sigh

i'd slit my wrists and drink drano, stick knitting needles in my eardrums before that happened. ewwwwww, you creeped me out, cat!!!!!!!!!

i am a war criminal......i loved torturing people..

;)

yes, what a shame that there is no money for the kids.....the LA school district is in shambles out here.....and when you get a situation that impacts them further.....no one wins.........

(p.s. i'll answer you because you do not call people stupid, evil and then expect them to have a conversation with you! i have feelings too!!!!!!!)lololololololoollolololololololol

Soledad
04-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Maybe when you grow up and make some sort of sense, I'll care enough to have you respond. As it is now, there's no point in debating with a nut case.

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by catland

sigh

stupid and evil wants donations toward the first bottle of
drano......regular flavor of course!

please send them to..

put richard out of his [email protected]

each contribution will be added to the beneficiary list on my
insurance policy and a signed 8x10 photo of my cat.

mugsy
04-02-2003, 05:12 PM
What's with the name calling?? I guess the "pro" war people aren't allowed to have an opinion either without some sort of nasty retribution. As soon as someone shows support for the U.S. we/they get assaulted verbally (well, written) about how we don't think for ourselves and how we have tunnel vision. Everyone here has the right to their opinion and has the right to express it. While it is abundantly clear that there are distinct "camps" we should be able to express our opinion without someone jumping down our throats. And, because I know I'll hear it, that includes me.

sasvermont
04-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Behave yourselves.

And remember, Ann is Queen around here. She has been Queen Ann for some time now.

So there.

Actually, I have been enjoying your exchanges. It does sound like you two are married. Hehehehehehe.

SAS;)

mugsy
04-02-2003, 05:16 PM
PS Richard, in the movie the Siege there is a scene where there is a rally in support of the Middle Eastern men who have been wrongly imprisoned and the "cell" is going to send a suicide bomber in to kill the protesters....no movie review....just a comment

Soledad
04-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Mugsy, as you know, I like debate. I have no problem with people having differing opinions from me. What I have a problem with is when people refuse to hear other opinions or make assumptions about others with differing views and say rude things.

I don't know how many times I have heard PTers talking disparagingly about peace marchers, while not realising how many other people here might be involved. It's not nice to have people call you terrorist supporters, violent thugs, messy hippies, etc.

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
What's with the name calling?? I guess the "pro" war people aren't allowed to have an opinion either without some sort of nasty retribution. As soon as someone shows support for the U.S. we/they get assaulted verbally (well, written) about how we don't think for ourselves and how we have tunnel vision. Everyone here has the right to their opinion and has the right to express it. While it is abundantly clear that there are distinct "camps" we should be able to express our opinion without someone jumping down our throats. And, because I know I'll hear it, that includes me.

(actually evil and stupid aren't far off the mark.......i have no problem with name calling...i just don't want people to forget what came off the tips of their fingers......why, in another post i was accused of putting 'scatalogical' remarks in a post, i went back, checked my spelling and found nothing of the sort!!!!!
i'm perplexed....wanna contribute????)

Pam
04-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Maybe when you grow up and make some sort of sense, I'll care enough to have you respond. As it is now, there's no point in debating with a nut case.

I think every now and then we need one of Richard's 'nut case' (as you think of them) replies to keep things loose around here. He keeps us from getting a little too hot under the collar and everyone's blood pressure at a safe level. :rolleyes:

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont

Actually, I have been enjoying your exchanges. It does sound like you two are married. Hehehehehehe.

SAS;)

that did it........(but tell the truth, who is funnier???? who would you pay to see on stage?????) wanna contribute?

lmao........

Soledad
04-02-2003, 05:22 PM
Well, it has the opposite effect on me.:rolleyes:

I guess if you were on the brunt of it you'd feel the same.

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Pam
I think every now and then we need one of Richard's 'nut case' (as you think of them) replies to keep things loose around here.

kick me while i'm down why don't you (want front row seats????
this is my farewell tour.) wanna contribute?

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
PS Richard, in the movie the Siege there is a scene where there is a rally in support of the Middle Eastern men who have been wrongly imprisoned and the "cell" is going to send a suicide bomber in to kill the protesters....no movie review....just a comment

thanks for ruining it for me;)

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 05:30 PM
the proper terminology is

'bear the brunt of it"

wanna pitch in?

Jessica12345
04-02-2003, 05:38 PM
they are protesting for war... but they are starting fights themselves:rolleyes:

babolaypo65
04-02-2003, 05:41 PM
I guess I don't see it as so out of the realm of comprehension that an anti-war rally would "turn violent". (Which of course depends on what that means). Get ANY large group of people together who feel strongly about something, and they feed off eachother. (my lord, there have been violent conflicts with the police and RIOTS after football games!) add a few people who has the exact opposite belief, or as is more likely the case, a few folks whose beliefs arent all that different but where each side is portraying the other as black and white as possible and voila.

I also think that sometimes people have a tendency to want to make the whole issue black and white. the assumption is that if someone is opposed to this war (or even this war at this time...i myself may have changed my mind at some future time) that that person is HERSELF an "ANTIWAR PERSON".

Other folks, who may have supported Bush's decision to begin this war are often labeled "PRO WAR". Assuming those things about eachother certainly emotionally charges those rallies as well. I am, for example thinking about the rallies in my home town. One person will have a "no war ON Iraq" sign, (as if iraq isn't participating) another will be waving a "support our troups" sign in that guy's face (as if all folks against the war are "against the troops").

someone else will have a "no blood for oil" sign..... see where I'm going? this is all so complex. How can a gathering of 10, 20, 30 thousand people with all those differing views have a nice, pleasant "rally".

Put another way, i think it oversimplifies the issue to assume that "anti war" means "I will always behave and would never ever be violent" just as "support our troops" doesn't mean "i'm a baby killer"

okay, I'm rambling, its been that kind of day. I'll stop now, but thanks for letting me spew.

mugsy
04-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Sorry Richard....actually there's a lot more to that movie than that scene! ;) :p

Soledad, I think maybe if you looked at the posts for the humor it might be a lot easier for you to take....you know what they say....laugh and the world laughs with you.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 05:45 PM
babolaypo65 - Great post. Very insightful.

Mugsy - If I were playfully making fun of you and trying to twist your words, would you be amused?:confused:

Edwina's Secretary
04-02-2003, 05:46 PM
Mugsy,

I am an "anti" who asked a couple of polite questions. In response I was told I was being mocked, laughed at. that I have "an attitude" -- whatever that means, that I am selfish, that I don't allow others to disagree, that I stand on a soapbox, and that I kick and scream when it is time to hear the opposition.

What's with the name calling?? I guess the "pro" war people aren't allowed to have an opinion either without some sort of nasty retribution. As soon as someone shows support for the U.S. we/they get assaulted verbally (well, written) about how we don't think for ourselves and how we have tunnel vision. Everyone here has the right to their opinion and has the right to express it. While it is abundantly clear that there are distinct "camps" we should be able to express our opinion without someone jumping down our throats

Is that what you are talking about?

mugsy
04-02-2003, 05:51 PM
No Sara, that's not what I was referring to.

Soledad, if it were done playfully I would respond playfully....I actually have more fun with that....but that's just me.

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Jessica12345
they are protesting for war... but they are starting fights themselves:rolleyes:

sweets,
fighting??????

i'm not fighting i'm laughing..... i mean i have a massive headache right now.....that's how much fun i'm having!!!!!!

the one thing that we are not born with is a sense of humor.
you grow that in your 'formative years' and, if you are lucky,
you'll laugh at things when they strike you funny.

It's a shame that more people have not learned to laugh at the world and at themselves. it's far better to laugh with each other than to laugh at each other.

As far as protesing FOR war i'd like to clarify one thing.

Should you think that i want, like or am for a war, you are sadly mistaken. As you may suspect, sending 19,20,21 year olds to
war is no picnic. I support the troops and the fact that they have a dirty job to do....NOT BECAUSE it's war and NOT BECAUSE we are sending out best and brightest halfway across the world to be put in danger..

GOD FORBID some b@st@rd thinks it's necessary to stick us again
like they did on 9/11. Trust me the ill feeling, anger and sickness you felt on that day would be one hundred fold should anything like that ever happen here on our shores again..or in your backyard...do you have an emergency plan??? do you know where to find your loved ones in case of an NBC attack????

if you do then thank the godless souls who crashed those planes in the WTC, pentagon and that field in PA. they are the reason that we have sent people to afghanistan and iraq.....

the next time you get kicked in the crotch, let me know what you do, take the high road and give your attacker a hug, or beat the living snot outta him, you'll know what you have to do when the pain creeps up your abdomen.

Those guys are doing job so that does not happen to us again...

you thoughts???

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
...do you have an emergency plan??? do you know where to find your loved ones in case of an NBC attack????

and before i forget...

do you know what a chem attack does to you???

read about WWI and the chem attacks-mustard gas
read about the zyklon- the crap they used on the jewsin WWII
read about Hirmoshima-John Hersheys book- about the
effects of the bomb on the anti aircraft gunners who had their eyes MELT out of their heads....
read about what a radiation burn or exposure does to a human being.

just read and know that we have never been visited my such a horrible vision here in the United States.

i grew up listening to the airraid sirens blaring on the last friday of each month, the gov't testing them, in case some russian leader decided that this was the day....ask someone about the sick feeling they got when they were unsure of the day-hearing those sirens go off.....now i'll use a scatalogical term...there were days i didn't know if i should poop or go blind...

until 9/11 we have had a pretty cush life here in the US. should you feel the need to leave some dictator or effin religious nut take away that feel good feeling, well you are a bit late.....

they already have crept into the conscience of free americans....you and me.....like it or not......

no this is not an endorsement for war....

it's an endoresment for me to live free and without fear....

i hope i scared you..not to be mean.......but to show you that sometimes you have to kick a little ass.

Do you want me to be serious or are you willing to put up with
me being stupid and evil????

god bless us all.

catland
04-02-2003, 07:23 PM

my 2 cents...

I'm not opposed to protest. It is one of the many things that separates us from Saddam and we must never forget that. People who challenge the right to protest, saying that you are "un-American" need lessons in debate, citizenship, and civility.

I know that pro-peace does not mean pro-Saddam.

There are, and probably always will be, a small number of people who attend these types of rallies just for the thrill of being able to incite people and cause damage.

These are scary times and nerves are frayed. I'm thrilled that we're freeing the Iraqi people from that tyrant. It's sad that we had to go to war to do so. I don't like how we're alienating this country from so many others - I think we'll eventually suffer for our perceived arrogance.

I pray it is over soon with as few casulaties as possible.

I remember 911, and thinking - this is just the beginning of the killing of innocent people.

:(

mugsy
04-02-2003, 08:34 PM
I am not opposed to protest, I just wish the protesters would put down their signs for just a little bit and help the troops in whatever way they can. I realize that won't happen, but I can dream.

I will say that most protests for whatever cause usually don't get very far, but it makes the people feel better. For example, I detest the pet store Pet Land, and would love to protest them, but, I know that it will do no good. I just protest in a different way, I tell as many people about their practices and hope that a few people don't shop there.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Why do you think protests do no good? What about the protest over a few bags of tea in Boston? What about the protest that started with a little black woman refusing to move? Isn't protest what America is all about? Isn't protest action the reason we have so much that we do?

Complacent attitudes like that create no progress. I believe the protests against this war across the world have kept this government on its toes. They know that they cannot look like the bad guys which is why they are going to such extremes to avoid civilian casualties. If everyone just sat in their homes and said "okay" I don't think you'd see them going out of their way to avoid casualties. They sure didn't try that hard last time.

And, again, how do you know that the protesters do nothing for the troops. You are making assumptions you cannot back up. What are YOU doing for the troops?

mugsy
04-02-2003, 08:42 PM
I am putting together care packages and sending emails as often as I can, I'm trying to help the families here in Fort Wayne. I resent the implication that I am doing nothing. What are YOU doing?

Soledad
04-02-2003, 08:47 PM
I only ask what you're doing since you're SO concerned about what others are doing. You know, glass houses and all.

I am writing my cousins regularly and sending packages. I am also organising some of the peace groups I've marched with to get together and make care packages. But then, I don't go out and accuse others of doing nothing. :rolleyes:

mugsy
04-02-2003, 08:54 PM
I'm not in the mood to argue tonight, I don't feel well and I'm tired, so I'll leave this for another day....I'm not in a competition.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Way to back out of a corner...:rolleyes:

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Heres what I dont get about these Anti-war protests. More people have died in the protests than in the war. Its just alittle late to pull out troops.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 09:08 PM
"More people have died in the protests than in the war. Its just alittle late to pull out troops."

Can you please tell me where you got that information from?

babolaypo65
04-02-2003, 09:11 PM
actually its not too far off. If you consider the number of protesters killed by police in yemen (i think it was) Egypt...and other countries...
(compared to coalition deaths)

"More people have died in the protests than in the war. Its just alittle late to pull out troops."

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 09:13 PM

The news is always saying how many people died in the war then only to flip it on and find out just how many people where injured because the anti war protesters where throwing chairs and abuseing there rights. Plus if we pull out our troops now what happens?? We just fall below Saddam, not as an equl but below, it encourges him, this should of been handled along time ago.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 09:14 PM
What about the Iraqi deaths??

Soledad
04-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Um, can you give an actual site. I don't even think anyone has a count on the Iraqi civilian count. It's not good to listen to everything the news says.:rolleyes:

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 09:20 PM
who says I fully belive the news?? Think of the Americans too. Iraqis have been brought up by a cruel man who kills his own kind...this needs to be stopped. We cannot count Iraqis because we wouldnt know where to begin. I watch new day in and out when Im in school Im wearing my walkman all the time. I watch around me. Half of my friends hate the goverment and they all have there reasons, but at least when we debate they give me credit for knowing what I know and not just saying stuff, or claiming I know, thats why there my friends, because I met all of them when we started to argue over somthing.

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Through them I learned that I cant trust everything...and that is where my point comes from.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 09:21 PM
You stated something as a fact. I asked for a source or a link verifying that "fact" and you could not supply it. I will not take your word for it, sorry.

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 09:27 PM
How can I supply proof when It is somthing Ive learned. I heard it, my dad said somthing about it. My teacher and Pastor talked to us about it. If you are counting all them wrong, then I dont know whats right and its no use replying to a complete idiot. Have you seen how wild the protest are?? Throwing things? They act like a class of 3rd grades the day they get a substitute teacher. I dont know about you but I belive that we are givin rights here in this country that others can only dream about, and I think it is very wrong to abuse those rights that we have.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Well, I'll wait to hear it on the news rather than take a fifteen year old stranger's word for it.

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 09:41 PM
There was a good reason why I dont put my age on most things. If you where to meet me in person you'd know that right away. Im not childish I grew up fast when you have three jobs(more than most adults) to take care of the things you love you might grow up quick too. Politics and debates are my life. But you wouldnt know that because I'm a stranger and to think that I thought of all of you as my "second familys" I may have not been on here long but where else can you talk about your puppy dying and get 3 pages of reponses?? I have alot of responsiblity and If I needed to I could get people to back me up on that but I dont have the time to do that for a "staranger" do I?? Who ever said you had to take my word on it?? Nobody. Its what I though and belive. I suggest you better start watching the news, but remeber you cant belive everything.

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Thats sad that I have to take the age off my profile just for people to take me seriously.....

Soledad
04-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Actually, you mentioned your age in one of your posts. I haven't even looked at your profile. Don't worry, it's not the age that makes me not take you seriously...it's your lack of information.

KYS
04-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Why do you think protests do no good? What about the protest over a few bags of tea in Boston? What about the protest that started with a little black woman refusing to move? Isn't protest what America is all about?>>>>>>

I don't see how you can compare the Boston Tea Party or the
civil rights movement to the Iraqi war.
It sort of demeans them both in my opinion.

Sadaam uses human shields, uses chemical weapons
on his own civilians, tortures, kills woman, men and children
and his people have no rights. ETC. ETC. ETC.

But you are right, freedom is what American is all about
and thus gives protesters the right to demonstrate,
(PEACEFULLY).

P.S. My mother was an activist in her day.
Unfortunately she is no longer living, for me to ask
her the many questions.

My mother sat in the back of one of those segregated
buses and refused to get up,
she also lobbied, and wrote letters etc.
when the Japanese were sent to internment camps.
She chose her causes, and I do not think
if my mother were alive today she would be out demonstrating,
because of Sadaam.

I don't like war, but this is one war, I am not
going to protest over.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 09:52 PM
I was not saying that the protests were equivalent, but challenging Mugsy's statement that protests do no good. :rolleyes:

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Actually, you mentioned your age in one of your posts. I haven't even looked at your profile. Don't worry, it's not the age that makes me not take you seriously...it's your lack of information.

SO now your calling me misinformed or stupid? Well I guess all of minnesota is stupid beacause most people around here belive excetly that.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 09:56 PM
I wasn't saying that you were stupid, but that you couldn't back up your statement. :rolleyes:

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Well I dont exactly tape the news, Im sorry. I really dont plan on takeing a tape recoreder whereever I go ethier, mostly if I have a brain which is like a fileing cabinet...or dont I use that?

Soledad
04-02-2003, 10:01 PM
I'm sure you use your brain, honey. I just wanted a link or some proof of a statement. Chill!:cool:

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Well Im going to go, I got to get to bed early so I can go to school and get educated, and listen to a Socail teacher who doesnt know what hes talking about because you said so.

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 10:02 PM
I cant chill, Im stressed and really..i dont know right now, the world as I know it is crumbling.

There's nothing I can do about it because I'm not old enough.

iceyshiver21
04-02-2003, 10:03 PM
I tend to take my anger out on these posts. sorry about that:(

mugsy
04-03-2003, 07:56 AM
You know Soledad, you're getting back to the nasty rude crap from before. I don't understand why, but you are. If someone doesn't answer the way you want them to you get angry and start name calling or condescending, and I, for one, am getting tired of it. I know that means nothing to you, but I felt I had to say something.

jackiesdaisy1935
04-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Iceshiver21 you sound like a very nice and informed young lady and working three jobs is quite an accomplishment, I'm glad you are interested in politics and debate, we need more young people like you. Please don't feel the world is crumbling, it's just the negative posts that you are reading on here that could make you feel that way. You just give your opinions just like everyone else, you don't have to back anything up, it's just your opinion.
Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

babolaypo65
04-03-2003, 10:07 AM
I was thinking the same thing. As a former high school teacher, I was thinking how refreshing it is that a 15yr old cares so much about the world, and the state of things. As time goes on, she will get better at debating, and defending her ideas. I was hoping this could be a good, safe, supportive forum for practicing the art of debate.

sammi
04-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Give it a break Soledad. Quit trying to belittle Iceyshiver. You have a really down attitude on just about everything that is talked about.
I also agree that you're getting back to your old rude ways again. For awhile you tried to be upbeat and you were much more friendlier. Some humor never hurt anyone.

RICHARD
04-03-2003, 11:12 AM
wow, the chance to interact with the next generation and you blew it....a chance to get a little feedback and a chance to find out what someone else thinks.....
but then again only your opinion counts.....

try and get a personal opinion, not stats and consipracies off the
'net......

no on second thought, don't think your head may explode......

again you show your colors....

icey even gave you an apology, something you probably would know nothing about......for me it was politcal before, now its personal.

ice,

look at the names of the people who posted after you, speak with them. they are kind, open people with some good ideals and a sense of humor. we like intelligent conversations.

RICHARD
04-03-2003, 11:53 AM
AND THANK YOU TEACHERS AND ALL THE REST OF YOU WHO
FILL THE CUPS OF THE CHILDREN WHO THIRST FOR KNOWLEDGE.

people have entrusted you with our future......good to know that
they are still in good hands.:) :)

mugsy
04-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanks Richard. I appreciate that. Although, sometimes I wonder about my influence on these kids. ;)

Soledad
04-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Seeing as I'm in my early twenties, I can't imagine that we're in different generations....

"wow, the chance to interact with the next generation and you blew it...."

But you've certainly been an icon of how to interact with the next generation.:rolleyes:

mugsy
04-03-2003, 05:41 PM
I think he's done quite well. At least he shows a sense of humor once in a while and listens to what they have to say and not worry about how old they are and belittle them because they ARE young.