PDA

View Full Version : Some Sad News about Oliver :(

NoahsMommy
04-02-2003, 12:54 PM
After a lot of discussion and prayer, we've decided that Oliver needs to be an only cat. You all know we've tried everything besides drugging him, something I can't do and feel good about.

I just got off the phone with the behavioralist at the shelter and he said that because after over a month Oliver continues to get worse, he needs a new 1-cat home. He asked "Does he hiss/attack over food, toys or attention?" The answer is no, he attacks/growls/hisses over ANYTHING. None of the cats can even look at him without repercussions. :( :( :(

This morning as I was sitting at the door talking to Micah, Basie came to say "hi". All was interrupted by Oliver lunging at ME! Thank God for the Soft Paws and for the blanket that blocked us. :(

I am heartbroken, but I know in my heart we've tried everything. The changes in our other cats are unacceptable since Oliver came to live with us. Basil now hides from Oliver, Noel and Olivia stay only in high places unless we are there to defend them. Olivia will only sit in the house part of the cat tree or next to us. Sitting next to us doesn't work anymore, he chased her off the couch last night while she was laying on me. :(

I know that not everyone will agree with our decision. But let me make it clear how hard this was. I've been very upset for awhile about Oliver and I've tried everything that I've been recommended. The Feliway isn't working and either is the Rescue Remedy. He is the cat he is, and I wont drug him to make him who I want him to be. I wont.

The bottom line is, he is NOT happy and either are the other cats.

We are taking him to our shelter on Saturday. I'll be making some requests on his new placement and will make sure EVERYONE knows he needs to be alone in his new home.

I don't want anyone else to fail him. :(

Barbara
04-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Kelly I am so sorry for you and Oliver. But he has a better chance now. At the moment he is unhappy and so are all your other furkids.

We keep all our paws crossed that he will soon find his furrever home. It should be easy as he's a real beauty:)

Logan
04-02-2003, 01:01 PM
I don't think anyone will second guess this decision, Kelly. You know what is best. After all, he has been in your home, not ours. I wish only the best for Oliver and hope he can find a home where he can be "top cat" with no competition. Don't you worry, you gave him a wonderful chance at life. He'll be ok. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Oh Kelly, I'm so sorry things didn't work out for Oliver. :( But I know you are only thinking of his best interests and you're right that it's not fair to try and make him into the cat that you want. He has to be his own kitty, and if that means being a 1-kitty family, then that's what it will have to be for him. He will be so much happier, and so will the rest of your gang - and you...and David. I know you've been upset about his behavior almost right from the beginning, and you certainly don't need that stress right now either.

It sounds like you've thought long and hard about this, and you don't have to feel bad about your decision. You tried your best, and you most certainly didn't fail him. You did everything you knew how to make him happy.

Please give him one last hug for me before you take him back. I'm sure he will find a great furrever home where he will rule the roost, and there wont' be anybody to argue with him about it.

HayleyRosie
04-02-2003, 01:04 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Oliver. I am sure he will find a great forever home and be forever happy. I am also sure you will feel better about your decision when Oliver moves into his new home. Please give him some hugs and scritchies from me, Hayley and Mandy.

wolflady
04-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Oh Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear about Oliver, but I completely understand. You have tried everything you could with Oliver, but he just would be better as an only cat. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, it just doesn't work out, and especially if your other cats are not acting like they used to, their quality of life isn't as good, and neither is Oliver's. You are so in tune with your animals that I know you know what's best for all of them:) **hugs**

This same thing happened with the older siamese cat, Sam that I had in college. She was fine in my apartment, and Aaron even brought Scooter over to see if they would get along. Sam made it clear to Scooter that she wanted nothing to do with him, but I could leave them in a room together without feeling scared for Scooter. But, as soon as we moved Sam and Scooter back to Aaron's apartment, all hell broke loose! Sam just terrorized Scooter so much that he would literally be running from her and pooping at the same time. She would just attack him for no reason at all. I think it was because my apartment was "neutral ground" and they could co-habitate ok there, but Aaron's apartment was Scooter's residence and smelled of Scooter and Sam just didn't like it. We tried everything to get it to work out, but Scooter's quality of life was just not good, and neither was Sam's. She needed to be an only pet, so we found her a good home and she's so happy now! :)
I know what a tough decision this is for you, so please know that I completely understand and I am here for you! :) I've been in the same position. It's just better for your other 5 kids as well as Oliver too.
**hugs**
Karen

trinity
04-02-2003, 01:07 PM
My husband and I made that decision a while back concerning our Sam-cat. After a bunch of years with us, our new stray was making her life miserable, to the point that we had to put Sam on nerve medicine. Our others, who she had grown up with, chased her around a bit but it got worse.Fortunately a very good friend had just bought a house and she and Samantha bonded immediately. Sam is now the Queen of her new home and loving every minute of it. It was a tough decision to make but just hearing how happy she is makes me smile. Best wishes to Oliver in his new home. And **hugs** to you for going thru such a tough time....

slick
04-02-2003, 01:09 PM
You have nothing to feel sad about. You tried your best and sometimes adoptions or fostering just don't work out with the other family members. This will be a win-win situation. You and your furbabies will be happier and less stressed and Oliver will find a loving home where he can be the head of the household. You are a wonderful Mommy should not be feeling any guilt at all. As T & P says give him one last hug from all of us and I do hope you will be able to track his progress.

Denyce
04-02-2003, 01:14 PM
I know that this is horrible for you. But you must not feel that you have failed him. It wasn't a failure on anyone's part. It just is what it is and you are doing what is the absolute BEST for all that are involved. I am overwhelmed and impressed by the lack of selfishness on YOUR part that you are able to put aside your feelings and do what is best for the cats!:) I think the ability to do that is so special....there are just too many out there that are unable to put aside their own feelings and keep pets in situations that are just not healthy for them. While I know that your hearts are breaking I hope you also know how incredible you are and that Oliver will find a special home where he is the King and the only King.

Denyce

NoahsMommy
04-02-2003, 01:17 PM
You guys are so kind, I'm in tears right now. Thank you so much for this support.

I've been agonizing over Oliver and the fact that I didn't make sure he was good with cats before we brought him home. I've felt so guilty about just believing the informational sign on his cage.

Thanks so much for making me feel better about this decision.

catland
04-02-2003, 01:21 PM
I really respect your decision. I can't imagine how hard it would be to bond with the little guy, only to realize that he is really better somewhere else.

A few months back, my husband's aunt got a new kitty to be a friend for her cat, and her poor cat just went into hysterics. She found a new home for the new cat and has accepted the fact that her cat needs to be an only cat. Some just do.

I hope that with your guidance, that Oliver finds a new home where he will be happy and that you find more peace and tranquility for the rest of your fur-babies.

2kitties
04-02-2003, 01:28 PM
You have nothing to feel badly about. You clearly did everything possible. This decision is as much Oliver's as yours. Maybe he just wanted to tell you that he appreciates the offer, but sadly must decline.
I'm sure you'll see that he gets a home, one where he can rule the roost. In the current situation, he's unhappy and so are your other kitties. That's no life for anybody.

kimlovescats
04-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Everyone has already said the most important things, but please know that I too respect and support your decision. Unfortunately, we just don't always know how a cat will react until we give it a chance, and you have more than done that! Perhaps that is why Oliver was at the shelter to begin with? Well, THIS time you will make sure that it doesn't happen again to Oliver, and that he will only go to a home that he can rule all by himself!!! ;)

You are a wonderful cat-mom, so don't forget that!!! :D

K & L
04-02-2003, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out. We almost gave up our Gabby, she just wouldn't adjust and the others wouldn't accept her. We were searching for a home and all of a sudden everything worked out. I don't know why, guess it just took her longer than the others. I think she may have come from a one cat household. We found her on our roof in the middle of the night terrified. We think she was dumped. She's our Tortie.

Vermontcat
04-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Noah's Mommy, I know it is hard but I think you are doing what is best for you and all of your cats including Oliver.
At least you will be able to visit him at the shelter until he finds a new home.
Some cats really are meant to be only cats, my cat Samantha is one of those.
We tried to add another cat to our family once but decided it was better to have one very happy spoiled cat instead of two not very happy cats!

Wolflady and Trinity, you both described my cat Samantha perfectly!
Must be something about the name that makes them want to be the Queen of the castle!;)

Prairie Purrs
04-02-2003, 01:51 PM
I had a cat who not only wouldn't put up with another cat--she wasn't too happy about having another human living with me, either. (As for the other human, turns out Keke had better sense than I did, LOL!) She spent most of her life as a very happy only cat.

You obviously tried your best with Oliver, and it's certainly not your fault that you weren't warned about his only-cat inclination. I'm sure it's hard to give him up, but he'll be happier where he can be sole lord and master.

jenluckenbach
04-02-2003, 01:53 PM
I am so terribly sorry things could not be worked out for Oliver. Taking a cat BACK to the shelter HAS to be the hardest thing to do. But don't beat yourself up, you tried REALLY hard!!!

Nomilynn
04-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Kelly -

I'm really sorry about this, but I believe that you are doing what is best for you and for Oliver and I am behind you all the way. I also know that whoever finds Oliver in the shelter will have to succumb to rigorous questioning from you or someone on your behalf, so you can be comforted in knowing that Oliver will be happy in his new home.

You are in my prayers. This can't be easy, but thank you for doing what is best.

Naomi

NoahsMommy
04-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I am so terribly sorry things could not be worked out for Oliver. Taking a cat BACK to the shelter HAS to be the hardest thing to do. But don't beat yourself up, you tried REALLY hard!!!
Its really hard cause we volunteer there. I really hope they understand. I'm afraid that they wont. :(

When I was sitting with Micah last week, I was kind of testing the waters if it were to happen. The girl goes "You aren't going to bring him back, are you??" I know it was just one person, but still.

All that matters is what's best for him....

Thanks again guys. :)

RockyRoad
04-02-2003, 03:16 PM
I'm so sorry things did not work out with Oliver, Kelly. I think you are doing the right thing as well.
You are in my thoughts, best of luck to you.
{{{Hugs}}}

ramanth
04-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Oh Kelly, I'm so sorry things didn't work out with Oliver. I do not second guess your decision. I know it was a hard one to make.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

*hugs*

Kirsten
04-02-2003, 03:37 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear this, what a tough decision for you to make! :(

But I think it's the right decision - for him, for the other cats in the household and for their humans. As sad as is it, we have to accept that some cats just are like that, and that they cannot handle other felines in their environment. I'm sure you tried everything you could and did your best to help him adjusting to the group, but he doesn't seem to be comfortable with that arrangement.

It's a heartbreaking decision and I'm not sure if I would have the strenght to decide that myself, but I'm sure you'll realize you did the right thing once Oliver has found a single-cat household where he's happy and pampered. Best wishes to all of you,

Kirsten

PayItForward
04-02-2003, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry Oliver didn't work out with your furfamily but you are doing the right thing, making sure they are all happy.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 03:47 PM
You are doing right by Oliver. Instead of making him miserable, using drugs, and doing other things to make him fall into line, you are giving him a gift at great sacrifice to yourself.

I think all of us here at PT know how much you love your animals and that you giving Oliver up is not a failure, but a gesture of love.:)

batgirl1980
04-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Soledad

I think all of us here at PT know how much you love your animals and that you giving Oliver up is not a failure, but a gesture of love.:)

*reaches for some kleenex* i couldn't have said it better!

I am so sorry to hear that he has to go back and find a new home. I was hoping he would pull through and get used to the others! :(

Don't beat yourself up. We all know how much you love your babies, and that you're a great meowmie for just wanting the best for Oliver, even if it can't be with you.

Give him lots of hugs for us before he goes. *oh gosh, grabs more kleenex to dry my eyes some more* Our prayers are with you and him, and may he find a home soon so he won't have to stay cooped up for long!

Miss Meow
04-02-2003, 06:07 PM
If it's not working out for anyone in your house, then that's probably the best decision you can make, as heartbreaking as it is. You know your cats better than anyone and would know if the situation was irretrievable. It's very sad, but I know you'll work hard to find a more suitable home for Oliver and everyone will be happier in the long run.

Russian Blue
04-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Kelly, we all know what a considerate and caring individual you are! Just because someone 'might' say something in a negative tone because you have to return him doesn't take your caring spirit away! Remember that.

Also, you can't save everyone and everything, but you do what you can with the time and resources you are given. And your already doing a lot to help the feline cause!

I'm sure Oliver will find a furever one cat household. How could someone pass up that face??

;)

rosethecopycat
04-02-2003, 08:09 PM
You are a good Mommy. The hardest thing to do is to let go, but it is for the best.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-02-2003, 08:30 PM
It's o.k. Kelly...
You want what is best for Oliver and I will be praying that the people at the shelter will be understanding... If only sometimes people could walk in our shoes before critizing us... And I am sure he will get a wonderful new forever home!!:)

NoahsMommy
04-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Thank you, guys. Your kind words really help me feel better.

krazyaboutkatz
04-03-2003, 12:07 AM
Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear that you have to return Oliver but I also respect your decision. Like others have said some cats are meant to be by themselves. Oliver is unfortunately one of them. I'm sure he'll find another loving home. Take care. {{{HUGS}}}

shais_mom
04-03-2003, 01:19 AM
I am so sorry Kelly. We support your decision. You know what is best for your babies.
You are in our thoughts and prayers!

BastetsMum
04-03-2003, 01:28 AM
I haven't been here long but I am sorry to hear that Kelly. You tried so hard to keep your little famliy together but if Oliver isnt' happy and making the other kitty's unhappy then it is the best decision you could have made for your own sanity and your kitty's sanity.

I am SURE Oliver will find a great furrever home! I know that because your love and devotion to him that he will make a wonderful kitty for someone special.

You and Oliver are in my prayers.

You did the right thing.

04-03-2003, 01:54 AM
Don't fell bad about this Kelly! You are a terrific cat-mom, we ALL know that!! Little Oliver will not be mad at all, he will be so grateful to you for giving him a second chance. He will be a purrfect one-in-a-house-cat !!
{{{{hugs}}}}

krazyaboutkatz
04-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Kelly, when you had taken Oliver to the vet for his check up and soft paws didn't you say that one of the ladies there was interested in Oliver if things didn't work out? If I'm remembering correctly then maybe you could give her a call and let her know the situation. Then if she's still interested she could adopt Oliver and you wouldn't have to return him to the rescue place. :)

NoahsMommy
04-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
Kelly, when you had taken Oliver to the vet for his check up and soft paws didn't you say that one of the ladies there was interested in Oliver if things didn't work out? If I'm remembering correctly then maybe you could give her a call and let her know the situation. Then if she's still interested she could adopt Oliver and you wouldn't have to return him to the rescue place. :) She did say that, but she had four cats at home as well. I don't want to put him through another house like that. :(

Last night and this morning were really bad. I feel so horrible, but Oliver is going to spend the rest of his time with us in the bathroom. :( I jumped on my eye this morning as he was going after poor Olivia. I just can't handle yelling at him all the time and having the others living at the top of the cat tree.

I feel horrible that most of his life with us has been unhappy. I feel like a horrible person for yelling at him to stop all the time, for squirting him with a spray bottle. I mean, what can he think?? He's so sweet when its just us, what a wonderful forgiving spirit. I'm in tears today thinking about how cruel I've been. I'm just so upset. :(

Last night I had a total breakdown when Micah grabbed on to me when I wanted to go to sleep. I love my kitties, but I don't know why I "HAD" to get more. :( I wish I knew when to stop, it isn't fair what it does to my babies. I can't stop crying today...especially as I type this. (Its not just Oliver, its everything going on in my life right now, I'm so emotional....off to eat more chocolate!!)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
I can't stop crying today...especially as I type this. (Its not just Oliver, its everything going on in my life right now, I'm so emotional....off to eat more chocolate!!)

Aww Kelly, don't feel bad. You weren't cruel to Oliver, you were just trying to help him out and give him a good home. How were you to know he wasn't going to get along with the others. Like I said before, you certainly don't need this added stress right now, so you made a real tough, but wise decision to return him. Please don't beat yourself up over it. He will be much happier in a one-kitty home.

Please remember the good you have done giving the other kitties the best home they could ask for. When you go home, tell David you need a big hug in person because we can only give you cyber hugs from here. Try and get some rest 'cause being upset isn't helping you any, or the kitties.

{{{hugs}}}

wolflady
04-03-2003, 01:39 PM
{{{Kelly}}}
Please don't feel bad, sweetie. T&P's mom is right, how were you supposed to know that Oliver wouldn't get along with the other cats in your home? Apparently, the person who thought he got along with other cats was mistaken, or just like my Sam from college, maybe he was ok with cats in neutral territory. You tried, and it's not your fault that he would be better as an only pet. You're the best kitty mommy around, and it shows, because you know your babies so well, and you know that it would be better for all 6 of them for Oliver to be an only cat. That in itself is a tough decision, but made out of nothing but love. :D

I'm here for you, chica, if you need to talk:)
**hugs**
Karen

HayleyRosie
04-03-2003, 01:47 PM
Please don't feel bad about your decision. You are showing true love. You are doing what is best for Oliver and that is what is important. Just give him all the love you can right now and give him some scritchies from me. I'm sure he knows how much you love him.

batgirl1980
04-03-2003, 01:58 PM
*shares my box of kleenex*
Please don't beat yourself up. You're doing what's right, and it comes from the love you have for your babies, and all the other kitties that cross your path. I know it's hard, but it's not your fault. Some kitties just want be the one and only, and Oliver turned out to be one of those, it's not your fault. You did your best, and we all know that you're the best kitty mommie, because you do whatever it takes to make sure they are all happy.

Don't feel bad about yelling at him , it's not your fault. You did your best, and I know he appreciates you trying, even if he's stubborn about a multiple cat household.

{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}} *goes and gets another box of kleenex, because i'm having such a bad time right now, i'm bawling with you about oliver even though i haven't met him*

Just remember we're here for ya, and that you're doing whats best for everyone involved.

NoahsMommy
04-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Thank you for making me feel better about this decision. I just feel so bad about how I've treated him...I know it was necessary when we were keeping him, now it just seems cruel to me. I know he isn't mad at me.

I will give him lots of love tonight...I hope he know how much I love him. I just want him to be happy. I know he will, he's a great kitty.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Please don't think you were cruel to Oliver because you yelled at him and squirted him with water. I've bout drowned Chester several times when he scratches the door. If I didn't yell at them once in a while, they'd think I was sick. It's not cruel, it's human. They know very well what they ought not do but like to test us by doing it anyway. That's called being a cat. You did your best with Oliver. Maybe his new owner wasn't it a position to get him yet and his stay with you was like a stay in a hotel until his new owner could get him. There are no coincidences you know. ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
I've bout drowned Chester several times when he scratches the door. If I didn't yell at them once in a while, they'd think I was sick. ;)

:D :D Too funny MOFF. :D :D And I agree, sometimes I think they're like little kids and they do things they know they're not supposed just so we do yell at them. ;)

Soledad
04-03-2003, 03:53 PM
You were being responsible and trying to discipline him. That's what all loving parents do, especially when there are other kitties to think of.

sasvermont
04-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Last night both cats were at each other - howling, hissing, attacking....so I started screaming at them....they cleared out....it did stop them and gave them something more important to focus on for a change. Both of them headed for parts unknown, as I am sure they thought I was going off the deep end. They were very quiet the rest of the evening.

Things are not running as smoothly as I had hoped. I have been through this before, with two adult cats and it worked out eventually. Miley is so darn whiney and screams every time Ti comes near her. That sets him off on a major league challenge to GET HER. Then everything goes right to hell. It is so difficult to listen to..... I have such a peaceful house and for me to yell like that is upsetting to me too.

So Kelly, don't feel as though you have given up - just changed your plan. Some cats are not meant to be in a herd, some are. I hope my two change their minds. It seems to me that it took weeks when I had the last two adults get mixed up (not including Gabe, who fit in so very nicely....)....

Sometimes things just do not work out. We have all been there!

Concentrate on your current furry friends - and let Oliver go to a different home.....You gave him a chance.

Sas

NoahsMommy
04-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Thanks again.... :)

Sas, I have to tell you....I was laughing while reading your post...I know exactly what you mean, as if I were there! :)

I'm glad I'm not alone guys. :)

wolflady
04-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Yes, SAS and MOFF are absolutely right. Even I have lost it with my babies several times. I always feel bad about it later, but it happens to the best of us! :p
Good luck tomorrow. Just think about how happy Oliver will be in the appropriate home and how happy your other 5 will be too:)
**hugs**

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
Last night both cats were at each other - howling, hissing, attacking....so I started screaming at them....they cleared out....it did stop them and gave them something more important to focus on for a change. Both of them headed for parts unknown, as I am sure they thought I was going off the deep end. They were very quiet the rest of the evening.

That's a great strategy, SAS! It's kind of like brothers and sisters that don't get along until someone from "outside" comes in and threatens one of them. The next thing you know they are best of buddies and gang up on the "outsider." Now I know you don't want to be an outsider, but maybe they will join forces and commiserate (is that the right word?) about what a crab you are and the next thing you know they'll be best of buddies. :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not being sarcastic and I really don't mean to call you a crab because I know you're not, I just really think this might be a new strategy to try to get them together. At least they were quiet for the rest of the evening. ;) :) :D

And you know, Kelly, SAS really does have a point. I'm sure we've all yelled at our cats at one point or another. It doesn't mean you're being cruel, you're just trying to get them to understand. And even if they don't understand the words that you're saying, I know they understand the tone of voice. :)

(really hope I didn't offend anyone with this post) :)

NoahsMommy
04-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
And you know, Kelly, SAS really does have a point. I'm sure we've all yelled at our cats at one point or another. It doesn't mean you're being cruel, you're just trying to get them to understand. And even if they don't understand the words that you're saying, I know they understand the tone of voice. :)

(really hope I didn't offend anyone with this post) :)
:) That is very reassuring!! I know we all tend to yell at them every now and then....can't allow them to be naw-tee-kats. ;)

It helps to remember that they DO understand the tone, in both good and bad situations. Thanks for the reminder. :)

moosmom
04-03-2003, 04:21 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Oliver. You did what is in his best interest. I had a Korat named Tucker who was pouncing on Casey imercifully. I knew that Tucker needed to be an only cat. He now has the run of a 3 story house and the love of two people that think he's the cat's meow. While I was torn up over it, I knew in my heart I had made the right decision.

Kelly, go with your instincts. Do what is best for Oliver and your other kitties. Call me if ya need me :D

lynnestankard
04-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Sorry to be late here Kelly - I reckon everyone has said it so well.

I'm hurting for you - but it must be the only decision left to you. The other furbabies must come into the equation and he'll be much happier as a 'King of the Castle'. You did your best and your making sure his next home realise he needs to be alone!

Please give Oliver a couple of head scratchies. xxx

{{{{Hugs}}} to his very caring Meowmie.

Lynne

batgirl1980
04-03-2003, 06:00 PM
I agree.. don't worry about yelling at him or having squirted him with water.... We've all done that when they are being brats!

They KNOW what not to do, I think they just want to see if you still love them enough to notice ;) I think if I slacked on my kids and let them try to get where they know they aren't supposed to, they would think they weren't loved anymore!

I am sure they know not to do whatever it is.. as for the WHY behind it.. i really don't think they know that it's because "it could hurt them... they could get stuck...insert common sense reason here" but more of "we shouldn't do this because then she tells us NO, and if we STILL don't listen, she says it LOUDER and LOUDER until we get the point..and if we dont, she will come OVER to us and tell us NO while moving us away...what a grouch and spoil sport!" :D

I tell ya, I catch them starting to do a no no and they PEEK and see if i'm watching.. and if I don't say something, thinking "they'll stop cuz they saw me watching" they go at it again until i say no.. then they walk off with this look like "A HA! she does still luv us!"

But really, you gave it your all with Oliver, and i'm sure he knows you love him, but he just wants to be king.. and know that we know that, he can find that perfect one cat home just for him, and he'll still know that humans aren't the bad guys! :)

Steffi N
04-03-2003, 06:22 PM
I am sorry things didn't work out with Oliver. He is a beautiful cat and I'm sure he will find a new home where he can be happy and indulged. You did the best for him and for your furfamily. I hope you will be able to meet with his new owners and make sure everything will be okay for him.

kimlovescats
04-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Don't feel bad .... hey, how would you like to have ummmm 22 in your house, all from different "walks of life"??? hehehe
I spend my entire day trying to separate potential enemies, and gradually trying to make kitties learn to accept eachother!!! hehehe.... you can imagine the amount of chocolate I could consume in a days time!!! ;) ;) :D

We all do the best we can in this life, and as long as we always strive for our best, then we are right where we need to be!!! :)

Karen
04-03-2003, 08:27 PM
You have not been cruel to Oliver, you have done what no one did before - you got to know him, you tried to help him, and you loved loved loved him. Now, when he is at the shelterm it will be with a note that he needs to be an only cat. Think how happy he will be when that actually happens! :)

Some kitties (and some people, too) just don't play well with others of their species. Oliver's one! :) It's just part of what makes him him, just like his shiny fur and pretty eyes.

shais_mom
04-03-2003, 11:55 PM
{{{hug to Kelly}}}
If you need anything please email me!!
Thinking of you!

popcornbird
04-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Oops! How did I miss this?! :o :o

I'm so sorry that things have not worked with Oliver. :( I know you love him very much, but its not fair to your other cats, or to Oliver, if they have to live in "threatened mode" all the time. Olver will be grateful to you for rehoming him in a place where he'll have no other kitty to worry about, and your other kitties will thank you too. You tried your best. Its not your fault. Some animals just like to be alone, and if Oliver's that type, he will be much happier in a single cat household. You are doing the right thing. Please don't be upset. :(

Cincy'sMom
04-04-2003, 05:27 AM
I'm sorry Oliver didn't work out Kelly. You guys are wonderful for trying so hard with him...but you can't make the rest of your cats miserable for one...it'snot fair to any of them. I know this is a decision you have put a lot of thought into and are doing what is best for everyone. I hope Oliver finds anew home quickly, where he can get thelove and attention he needs as an only cat.

Pam
04-04-2003, 06:19 AM
Kelly I'm sorry to be getting in on this so late, but I do agree with everyone who has posted on this already. It's a shame that Oliver couldn't settle in and be a happy kitty with the others but you have to do what you have to do in order for peace to reign in your household. We completely understand.

I had to laugh at SAS' post regarding a raised voice. When I come into the kitchen and see one of my boys on the table and I say "off!" they give me a look and may or may not get off. When my hubby comes in and says the same thing they are off like streaks of lightning. Voice tone matters and the louder the better I think. :) In fact, Trevor will jump off just at the sight of him. :rolleyes:

lynnestankard
04-04-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Pam
I had to laugh at SAS' post regarding a raised voice. When I come into the kitchen and see one of my boys on the table and I say "off!" they give me a look and may or may not get off. When my hubby comes in and says the same thing they are off like streaks of lightning. Voice tone matters and the louder the better I think. :) In fact, Trevor will jump off just at the sight of him. :rolleyes:

LOL Pam - just what happens here! I bawl them out and they look at me like 'I don't think so'! Don speaks very strictly and they all jump and run!!
And with having Tricky with us at the moment - it's just the same! I open the door and ask her if she'd like to go for a wee-wee - no movement!! Don just says 'Tricky - go on' she's outta the door in a flash and doing whatever she has to do!! I give up!

Lynne

gini
04-04-2003, 09:25 AM
Kelly, years ago a beautiful black and white kitty showed up in my yard. He immediately started fighting with my little calico female and my black cat Magic. He was such a beautiful cat that I really wanted to keep him - but there was just no way it was going to happen.

One of my client's was looking for a kitty and I told them about this beautiful cat. They visited and couldn't believe their eyes when they saw him. They took him home and showered him with love and attention. He immediately took to the husband, but not to the wife. He was a man's cat - through and through!
When they would tell me stories, I could not believe this was the same cat - he had turned into a mush ball and he still is - and he is now 13 years old.

Bless you for even giving Oliver a chance....there is someone out there who will love having an only cat and I bet Oliver will turn into a mush ball too!

carole
04-05-2003, 03:29 AM
Try not too feel so bad about Oliver, i can tell its a decision you have not taken lightly, its a real shame, for all of you, i really hope he finds a good home, if its one on one he may be much better and happier in the long run.
Let us know how it goes and when he finds a new placement, he is a lovely looking puss i am sure he will be snapped up soon, heres hoping.

Barbara
04-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Kelly I just loved Gini's story. I am sure Oliver will find a home where he feels much better because he has the undivided attention of his purrents and all the others also will arrange themselves in a much more peaceful way. (You know I just have 2 brothes who can be best buddies sometimes but I also have fur on the floor every week:rolleyes: )

catmandu
04-05-2003, 09:31 AM
I had the same trouble with Smoke who was used to living in a Garage , and was on the dirty side. She couldnt chase the other cats as she was obese , but swattred them when they came too close. I was looking for another home for her when she had a bad stroke and had to be put down, I think that if she was cleaner and not so mean , I would have fought more foe her , but it was better foe the other cats , and for me not finding feces and pools of urine everwhere!

marysmerrycats
04-05-2003, 11:02 AM
I know that not everyone will agree with our decision.

well there may be people that don't agree, that think it is cruel to give up a cat, but, which is more cruel, to give it up so it has a second chance at being placed in the kind of home it needs, or to keep it unhappy, along with the other cats unhappy?

I think you are doing the right thing, and I know it was not easy for you to make the decision. I'm sorry this happend to you.