PDA

View Full Version : This is for the veterans...

mugsy
04-02-2003, 10:50 AM
I got this email a couple of minutes ago...my faith in Hollywood has been renewed just a little bit.

Here is a copy of a story about a Viet Nam vet and Ann-Margaret,
written by the vet's wife.
It is unique and well worth reading.

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time
in Viet Nam other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he
had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black &white photo he had taken at a
USO show of Ann-Margaret with Bob Hope in the background that was
one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann-Margaret was doing a book signing at a local
bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the
treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for
the 7:30 signing.

When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the
bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a
parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees
announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia
would be permitted. Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show
her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to
lonely GI's so far from home.

Ann-Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as 2nd in
line, it was soon Richard's turn. He presented the book for her
signature and then took out the photo.
When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she
would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her
to see it."

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and
she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most
certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for
their country and I always have time for "my gentlemen". With
that, she
pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him.
She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men
she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much
she appreciated them.
There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear.
She then posed for pictures and acted as if he was the only one
there.

Later, at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd
like to talk about it, my big strong husband broke down in tears.

"That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the
Army", he said. That night was a turning point for him. He walked
a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud
to have been a Vet.

I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how much
that small act of kindness meant to my husband. I now make it a
point to say "Thank You" to every person I come across who served
in our Armed Forces.

Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who
have served their country.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-02-2003, 12:35 PM
You know, I've never understood some people's reaction to our Vet's from the Viet Nam War. Lot's of boy's I went to high school with were drafted, some of them didn't come home. The only choice they had was to leave the country as a traitor or do as their country asked. Most of them risked it all. It never mattered to me if Viet Nam was a "popular" war or not. I was very proud of our Vet's. My brother was in the Air Force at the time stationed in Korea.

I remember hearing about Bob Hope taking his USO show to Viet Nam back then. I always admired him too. Ann Margaret is one classy lady which she proved by her wonderful treatment of your husband.

By the way, tell him a lady in Kansas thanks him too.

mugsy
04-02-2003, 12:50 PM
I don't know this person, I believe that the people live in California. I just got the article as an email from a friend, but I'm sure that the Vietnam Vets all appreciate the votes of confidence.

jackiesdaisy1935
04-02-2003, 12:53 PM
I enjoyed reading that story and realize not every single actor and actress is mindless in Hollywood. My husband Don, who is 74 now, served in VietNam as well as I know your husband did, Mugsy, and I never understood why these peaceniks would spit on our men coming home after they were willing to give their lives to help other people. I think that is the shame our country lives with, not the willingness of our young men going to war to help other people, but the way the soldiers were treated when they came home. They should have been treated as heros, I don't know anything that these peaceniks have accomplished besides carrying signs and disrupting the peace.
Jackie

momoffuzzyfaces
04-02-2003, 12:54 PM
:o OOPS! Sorry, well, this lady in Kansas still thanks that Vet and all the others no matter where they are.

mugsy
04-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Jackie, Mike was in Desert Storm (he's just a pup...he's only 33). My brother-in-law was in the last year of Vietnam stationed in Thailand, I was in 7th grade when he came home because I remember doing a report on Thailand and brought a bunch of stuff in that he brought back with him.

Dakota's Mommy
04-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Very touching story! Thanks for sharing!

jackiesdaisy1935
04-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Sorry Mugsy, he is still a young pup is right, geeeez really makes me feel old. LOL
Jackie

mugsy
04-02-2003, 03:01 PM
You and me both Jackie....I'm 41 and he ALWAYS teases me! lol

Soledad
04-02-2003, 03:05 PM
So, if you agree with a Hollywood star, they're brilliant and worthwhile. If you disagree with a Hollywood star, they're mindless and have too much time on their hands, should move to France and are un-American.

Hmmmmm.....

Logan
04-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Come on, Soledad. This Anne Margaret thing has been floating around the internet for ages......Mugsy just happened to bring it up now.

Surely you can understand that we would rejoice in someone who truly supports America when all there has been from Hollywood (in the news, at least) is anti-Americanism???

Soledad
04-02-2003, 03:28 PM
No I can't understand it because I don't believe that someone who disagrees with the mainstream is anti-American. Sorry, but I think that's juvenile.:rolleyes:

mugsy
04-02-2003, 03:35 PM
I meant it to bring a little good news for a change.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-02-2003, 04:46 PM
I still stand by what I said. I admire Bob Hope and Ann-Margaret. I lived through that time period and remember the news when Bob took a USO tour over to Viet Nam. I was surprised because I thought he would want to retire and be safe at home. They were sometimes in danger over there with bombs and shells flying over their heads. They brought lots of comfort and fun to some who would never see their homeland again. They didn't stomp around bashing their country or the ones who were serving it but did what they could to help make it better for those serving.

jackiesdaisy1935
04-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Soledad I really thought you were open and intelligent but you are slowly changing my mind, not that you care I understand, it seems you have a negative twist on anything positive, it doesn't matter what subject comes up even when one is trying to put an upbeat post you find a way to put a negative twist on it. Why so?
Is everything in life a challenge to you? Do you ever see a positive side of anything?
I thought saying I realized that not every single actor or actress in Hollywood is mindless was a compliment to them, no? Of all the discussions I have read on here I can't remember one upbeat post that you have put on. I'll have to say the one thing that you said that really surprised me and made me think twice about you is the statement that "America wants to take over the Middle East", where would we put it in Texas?
Jackie

Soledad
04-02-2003, 04:50 PM
I have plenty of upbeat posts in Cat General and General, but you won't find them here. There's not too much to be upbeat about. The war is not going well and I'm especially fearful about what happens afterwards.

You can laugh it up all you want, in fact that's advised, because often the truth is too horrible.

jackiesdaisy1935
04-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Soledad, I'm not laughing, in my own old lady way I feel you are very mistaken about the role of the U.S. in the Middle East, we are not invaders we are liberators and I think deep down you know that. Whether you agree with the war or you don't agree with the war we all agree on one thing, we care what happens to our soldiers and the people of Iraq. It makes me have tears to see children and women killed and it makes me cry to see soldiers wounded and killed. I'm not a warmonger, I prefer peace
but I truly believe this regime would use these weapons eventually, tomorrow, next week, maybe five years from now. If we allow them to get stronger, who will stop them in the future?
Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

Soledad
04-02-2003, 05:48 PM
I think that people believe, deep down, that we are liberators. I believe the soldiers are there with that intent. With intentions that are honorable and not selfish. I cannot say the same of the men who put them there. I believe that the use of "liberators" is used to boost morale and support for the war, because it works. It works because Americans want to be the good guy.

If we were such liberators to Iraq, why is it that most Iraqis don't agree? The war should be going a lot better according to the "Liberator" theory. They haven't even gotten into Baghdad (where Saddam's REAL supporters exist).

mugsy
04-02-2003, 05:49 PM
Jackie, I'm not sure the Texans would like that! ;)

Actually, the war is going quite well. (but of course I'm sure I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective) I'm very proud of the men and women fighting. They are being humanitarian and liberators at the same time. It's too bad that Saddam is nuts enough that he uses women and children as human shields because he does have the kajungas to fight like real men fight.

Again, I admire Ann Margaret for standing up for what is not always very popular in Hollywood.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 05:51 PM
If the war is going so swimmingly, why is Rumsfeld getting pounded by the Army generals for making such crap decisions?:confused:

babolaypo65
04-02-2003, 05:52 PM
I guess I'm responding to this because the term "peacenik" comes across to me as negative. theres a big diference between a "peacenik" and spitting on a vet's face. I was only 4 or so when the war ended, I have no actual memories of it. I do know that I may not have supported that one either.... i would probably have been called a peacenik, however, i never would have done such a disgusting thing. And again, the suggestion is that its as simple as "against the war, therefore against the troops". I am not now, nor have i ever been against troops doing their job.

now, on a completely different note, i have heard again, and again, and again, stories that say OUR cia were the spitters, trying to rile folks up, and turn them against "peaceniks". is there ANY evidence to substantiate that rumour? again, i was four, so i have NO idea... just a question, not trying to pick a fight.
(I'm really not much of a fighter at all am i?)

Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935
I enjoyed reading that story and realize not every single actor and actress is mindless in Hollywood. My husband Don, who is 74 now, served in VietNam as well as I know your husband did, Mugsy, and I never understood why these peaceniks would spit on our men coming home after they were willing to give their lives to help other people. I think that is the shame our country lives with, not the willingness of our young men going to war to help other people, but the way the soldiers were treated when they came home. They should have been treated as heros, I don't know anything that these peaceniks have accomplished besides carrying signs and disrupting the peace.
Jackie

mugsy
04-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Because Rumsfeld is a moron, but over all the war is going well. In less than 2 weeks we control over half the country. That's pretty impressive to me.

Soledad
04-02-2003, 05:55 PM
We don't have control over one city, Mugsy.

babolaypo65
04-02-2003, 05:55 PM
hey wait! no fair! how come you get to call rumsfeld a moron!!! no fair! darn liberal!

(kidding, of course, i dont think he's doing much of a job...)

Originally posted by mugsy
Because Rumsfeld is a moron, but over all the war is going well. In less than 2 weeks we control over half the country. That's pretty impressive to me.

mugsy
04-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Hey!! I'm not a liberal, and I'm not a conservative....I'm in the middle somewhere.;) :p

momoffuzzyfaces
04-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Soledad

If we were such liberators to Iraq, why is it that most Iraqis don't agree?
How do you know they don't agree? The ones in Iraq can't agree without being killed or having there families killed. Did you see the thread about the Iraqis in this country who want to fight on our side to free their country?

babolaypo65
04-02-2003, 06:02 PM
but how come rumsfeld is fair game? we cant pick on bush, but rumsfeld is fair game?? ;)

sorry, just being sassy.

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
but how come rumsfeld is fair game? we cant pick on bush, but rumsfeld is fair game?? ;)

sorry, just being sassy.

check out his haircut, you'll understand

momoffuzzyfaces
04-02-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Haircut? Don't you mean hair piece?:D

mugsy
04-02-2003, 06:08 PM
You mean he wears a toup??? Say it ain't so!!:p :D

babolaypo65
04-02-2003, 06:10 PM
you mean the dead squirrel on his head?

Originally posted by RICHARD

mugsy
04-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Now don't go insulting the poor squirrel!!

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 06:14 PM
you mean the dead squirrel on his head?

now wait a second......i post something, all of you run with it and then it comes back to me............

babo,

behave or i'll have to assimilate you into the group.

;)

babolaypo65
04-02-2003, 06:15 PM
and years from now, the dead squirrel comment will be attributed to you. lucky you!

RICHARD
04-02-2003, 06:19 PM
and years from now, the dead squirrel comment will be attributed to you. lucky you!

i've been blamed for far worse in my life.....

problems with mr rumsfeldt would be a welcome change.
at least i have an idea who the enemy is!

momoffuzzyfaces
04-02-2003, 06:27 PM
I have no idea if he wears a hair piece. I just shudder to think his real hair looks like that! Sorry!:eek:

jackiesdaisy1935
04-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Babolaybo I have lived through the 2nd world war, Korea, Vietnam, and the rest and although I do believe the CIA is capable of doing many bad things, I have never heard anything like that ever.

Soledad, A question? What do you suggest if we didn't go to war could have been done? Would it have been better to leave Saddam alone and let him stockpile all those WOMD, why do you think he was building this stockpile? What about the people of Iraq, who have been gassed, killed, tortured, should we have turned our back on them? Do you think they would have had a better life when his two sons took over power? I'm just not sure I understand where you are coming from, is it because you believe the Arab world will rise against us?
Jackie

Soledad
04-02-2003, 07:36 PM
We had overwhelming support all over the world after 9-11. Any half-assed diplomat could have harnessed that into harsh and relentless weapons inspections. But we got Bush Jr. whose attitude and obvious desire for war put everyone off. We could have continued inspections and in the mean time garnered more support from other countries to invade if necessary. But we didn't. We shot our wad, went in and now the majority of the world (not just the middle east) thinks we're ignorant rabid cowboys who want to get their hands on the oil. :rolleyes:

Let me ask YOU JackieDaisy, what should we do with Israel and Zimbabwe. Israel has the most infractions against the UN. More so than Iraq. What about Zimbabwe? Why are we not invading and deposing of Mugabe??

mugsy
04-02-2003, 08:26 PM
I guess I don't understand why we are ALWAYS the bad guy when we give billions of dollars in aide to all these countries who hate us so much, but, I've asked before and still haven't heard an explanation that satisfied me, oh well, I probably never will. And no, I'm not waiting for the answer that fits my views.

jackiesdaisy1935
04-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Soledad, I really don't know much about Israel or Zimbabwe. I feel sorry for the suicide bombings that Israel has had, but then there is the other side, the Palestinian people have also suffered.
In my opinion there will never be peace there, I hate to say this, but I think there is too much hate for them to ever agree on anything.

As far as Zimbabwe I don't know anything about it and won't even attempt to answer your question because of my ignorance of the situation.

I think we all have our opinions of what is going on, only time will give us the answers to our questions.
Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

Miss Meow
04-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
I guess I don't understand why we are ALWAYS the bad guy when we give billions of dollars in aide to all these countries who hate us so much, but, I've asked before and still haven't heard an explanation that satisfied me, oh well, I probably never will. And no, I'm not waiting for the answer that fits my views.

Just some observations:

- the aid is often of a short-term nature, ie famine relief, and not to help with long term strategies for improvement
- the financial aid is often used to repay foreign debts to other countries and doesn't get to the people most in need (and the people don't have the resources to unseat the government)
- the country giving the aid may have caused the problem in the first place (general note, not making any case against America). Australia and the island of Nauru are classic examples. We mined millions of tons of phosphate from Nauru, the government squandered the money on speculative investments rather than more stable programs, and now they're broke and being used as a dumping ground for Iraqi and Afghan refugees that our current government doesn't want on our soil
- some countries are sick and tired of being given hand-outs and treated like charity cases for decades because it suits other countries to keep them like that

As far as anything specific re America, I don't know enough about the USA's foreign aid policy and what people in other countries think, so I'm not even going there :)

mugsy
04-03-2003, 08:05 AM
Soledad, since you did it to Richard, I will do it to you. Thanks so much for ruining a thread that was supposed to be positive. I'm with Jackie, you seem to HAVE to make something positive into something negative.