PDA

View Full Version : Green Sharpie Fiasco!

Cheshirekatt
04-02-2003, 12:10 AM
So.....this morning was great. Just great. Wilma thinks it's a good decision to chase Picasso who thinks it's a good idea to jump up onto the counter where all the pens are. Picasso and the pens go flying everywhere and which pen decides to break and spray a lovely pattern of green ink everywhere but the PERMANENT green sharpie. And where did it spray it's lovely green ink? In the middle of the hardwood floor. It's totally soaked into the wood. None of it would come out. GRRRRRRR! Help!

wolf_Q
04-02-2003, 12:17 AM
:eek: That can't be good! Dogs sure are good at making the biggest mess possible!

I wish I knew how to help...sorry, I don't have any hardwood floors. Hope somebody can recommend something to you! Good luck!

Nomilynn
04-02-2003, 12:23 AM
I have heard that rubbing alcohol will work sometimes, but if it soaked in I don't know :( I hope you can get it out!!

Cheshirekatt
04-02-2003, 12:24 AM
I'm actually going to call the Sharpie company tomorrow. I didn't think the pen should shatter just from being dropped from the counter. I'm sure they won't help me at all, but it's worth a try, huh? Maybe they at least will know what might take it out, but I'm afraid we'll have to refinish the floor. *eek!*

Nomilynn
04-02-2003, 12:27 AM
I think that's a great idea. Please let us know what takes sharpie out.. it could be useful information! :)

joycenalex
04-02-2003, 07:29 AM
do you know what type of finish the floor has on it? different finishes need different cleaners, the people at a home depot or a hardward store can give some advice. if the area is smallish, say dinner plate sized or less, maybe hand sanding with a fine grit to lift the spatter and spot refinish. if it's larger, you might need to refinish the whole area, not an easy job. best wishes for easy stuff,

Cisco's Mom
04-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Acetone or fingernail polish remover should work. The thing with this is that it is a solvent and will also remove any farnish that is on your floor.:( Good Luck!

Naughty Doggies:eek:

Karen
04-02-2003, 09:29 AM
Without knowing whether the finish is oil-based, acrylic or whatever, I wouldn't know whether turpentine would be safe/effective, linseed oil, or what solvent to use, as it MIGHT destroy the finish as well as remove the stain. Any idea?

Might a nice area rug suffice? ;)

Logan
04-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Rugs were KING when we had a hardwood floor. At Halloween, one year, I had orange and black votive candles. Helen asked put the candle out one night. I thought she would blow, but she was trying to do it by waving her hand.....waved that hand right into the candle holder and black wax went everywhere, all over our hardwood floor and on the surrounding rug and chair. It just adds "character". Perhaps you can laugh about it later. :rolleyes: That's what I did.......never did have that black mark refinished on my floor.

Logan

Cheshirekatt
04-02-2003, 10:25 AM
I have no idea what sort of finish is on the floor. I think I'll take a pic of it and take it with me to Home Depot and see if they have any ideas. Unfortunately because of where it's located a rug won't work. But trust me, I've got rugs everywhere else! LOL I'm not too upset about it, really. I mean, it was a accident and I swear the little orange kitty just askes to be chased. :D

Cinder & Smoke
04-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Hey ~Kat...

Look at these two web page from the Sharpie / Sanford Company >>

Stain Removal - General page (http://www.sanfordcorp.com/sanford/consumer/jhtml/help/sanford_help_95.jhtml)

Removal of Permanent Inks page. (http://www.sanfordcorp.com/sanford/consumer/jhtml/help/sanford_help_96.jhtml?_DARGS=/sanford/consumer/jhtml/help/sanford_help_95.jhtml_A&_DAV=Permanent%20and%20Solvent%20Based%20Inks)

For Painted/Varnished surfaces - they suggest cleaning with
Rubbing Alcohol.

Also they mention AMODEX Stain Remover;
can't find a web site for Amodex Products.

Good Luck! ;)