PDA

View Full Version : Doggie Biscuit Recipe

shais_mom
12-13-2001, 01:26 AM
Keegan is so picky with her treats, but I have found this recipe that she really likes.
Here is the recipe:

Baby Food Soft Doggie Cookies

3 jars of baby food (chicken or beef) 2 1/2 oz each
1/4 c dry milk powder
1/4 wheat germ (cream of wheat can be substituted)
Combine ingredients in bowl and mix well. Roll into small balls and place on well greased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with a fork. Bake in preheated 350 degrees (F) oven for 15 min until brown. Cool on wire racks and STORE IN REFRIGERATOR. Also freezes well.
Variation:
subsitute cream of wheat for wheat germ and then used tablespoon to make cookie sized drops on plate.Microwave for 4 min on Med High. Suggest keeping an eye on them in Microwave and perhaps start out for only 3 1/2 min They do come soft. Also suggest using Beef/Veg Dinner Baby dinner instead of beef or chicken.
***good for older pets who have lost a few teeth***

Keegan loves these, I have trouble finding plain chicken and beef baby food so I use any kind of baby food that has meat in it.
I also use the cream of wheat.
They are so simple!

mugsy
12-13-2001, 07:58 AM
Thanks!!! Awhile ago I posted that I got a cookbook for dog treats. I haven't tried them yet, but most of them are pretty similar to the one you have. There are even dessert treats!! Most of the proceeds of the sale of the books go to animal shelters. I think a friend of mine and I are going to bake a bunch of treats next weekend for the SPCA using that cookbook.

DoggiesAreTheBest
12-13-2001, 09:16 AM
Ooooh, That sounds like a treat Drake would like. Drake is picky and has been getting the same kind of treat for over a year now. I think he would like a variation.

Mugsy, could you post a few more recipes from the book? I would love to make some and take them to the shelter I voluteer at. It makes me so sad to see these dogs without a home for the holidays. I want to make them something special.

purrley
12-13-2001, 09:38 AM
Thanks for this. I'm going to make some for my puppy this weekend!!!!

jennifert
12-13-2001, 09:39 AM
Me too! What a great idea!! I'm a terrible cook however. Maybe I should spare the poor animals!! I just went to a local variety store (wal-mart-type store) last night an purchased a bunch of blankets to take over to the SPCA. I went a little overboard because they were on sale so I splurged and bought about 10 of them! Mind you, I'm making my family's gifts since money is tight this year but I spend $70 on blankets..?! That's OK. They understand and would do the same thing! :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
12-13-2001, 09:52 AM
That is very kind of you Jenni. I know the doggies will appreciate the warm blankets.

Rottie
12-13-2001, 12:19 PM
This is Carl's favorite! :D

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup powdered milk
1/3 cup bacon grease *can substitute Beef fat or Chicken fat
1 egg -- lightly beaten
1 cup cold water

DIRECTIONS:
In a bowl, combine flour and milk powder. Drizzle with
melted fat. Add egg and water; mix well. Gather dough into
a ball. On floured surface, pat out dough. Roll out to 1/2
inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Gather up scraps
of dough and repeat rolling and cutting. Bake on un-greased
baking sheets in 350 degree oven for 50 - 60 minutes or
until crispy. (you can store in the fridge)

Yield: Makes about 36 - 2 1/2 inch biscuits.

mugsy
12-13-2001, 01:46 PM
I will post some recipes when I get the book back from my mom!! lol Somewhere back on the general list I gave the information on how to order one of the books. I'll go back and try and find it and make another post so it shows up more current.