PDA

View Full Version : tastes in food

marysmerrycats
04-01-2003, 10:59 PM
yesterday my mom and I, were talking about peoples tastes in food. we neither one like escargo, cavier (sp?), and there were some people in her complex that said oh they love that! we both think it's gross! we like simple food, none of that fancy stuff. there are lots of fancy food, or as we call them, "foo foo"!

how many here like the simple kind of food, and how many like the gross stuff?:rolleyes:

Soledad
04-01-2003, 11:05 PM
I like it all!!!:D

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-01-2003, 11:15 PM
I would consider myself a picky eater... I don't like all that fancy stuff either.... I love almost anything bread and POTATOS!!!!!!!:D

The Cat Factory
04-01-2003, 11:18 PM
I am a very picky eater!

wolf_Q
04-01-2003, 11:18 PM
I've never even tried any "foo foo" like escargo or cavier (I don't know how to spell them either).......I've never even been somewhere that offered them, lol. Doesn't look appealing to me anyway.

neko1
04-02-2003, 05:26 AM
I like my stuff plain

moosmom
04-02-2003, 06:59 AM
When I got older, I decided to try some of the unusual stuff like caviar (couldn't get it outta my mouth fast enough :eek: ), escargo (love it!!), fried calamarie (sp?) (tastes like fried elastic bands). I won't eat exotic stuff like antelope, alligator, frogs legs, etc. Too gamey for me.

Give me meatloaf, mashed potatoes, steak, lots of veggies and Mexican food anyday!!

tatsxxx11
04-02-2003, 07:26 AM
I'll try anything; bring on the "gross stuff!":D

Logan
04-02-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
I'll try anything; bring on the "gross stuff!":D

Hehehe!!!! I'll agree with that! What part of the lobster were you eating that Helen and I just couldn't do??? :)

slick
04-02-2003, 10:51 AM
I'll eat anything except:
oysters on the half shell
liver
prairie oysters
caviar

I have eaten:
alligator
jellyfish
escargot
frogs legs
squid
tripe

If I had my way, boring old Canadian food would be out the window and I'd stuff myself with ethnic food. Thai, Malaysia, Indian, anything but mashed potatoes.

emily_the_spoiled
04-02-2003, 12:46 PM
I think I have to agree with Slick on this one. The more variety in your food the better it is. I have tried all the things on her "eaten list" except the jellyfish and I can add:
reindeer
turtle
octopus (the suction cups are kind of shewy)
UVO (unidentified vegetable objects:D )

HoRsELUvR
04-02-2003, 12:52 PM
I am not a picky eater, but i have some dislikes.I had sushi once and it was ok but the thought of eating a raw squid was just too weird.I also dont really like any kind of fish but tuna.

babolaypo65
04-03-2003, 07:23 PM
I love different "ethnic foods"
sushi: mmmmmm
thai,
mexican
indian:MMMMMMMMMMMM
chinese....

but, my all time, favorite "comfort food" (the one you eat when you're down, or stressed): lima beans. seriously.
second favorite comfort food is pizza

Kfamr
04-03-2003, 07:30 PM
I LOVE spicey foods. I LOOOOOOOOOVE mexican food! I'm not a big seafood person though.. i like popcorn shrimp with lemon juice on it

jenluckenbach
04-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Picky, that's me. I do not like the unknown. And I like everything PLAIN.

kingrattus
04-03-2003, 07:46 PM
I'm a picky eater, but I don't mind trying diff meats, I will not touch Fish except tuna from a can & the little fish sticks that don't have that nasty fish smell or taste to em... Carabo is AWESOME, I hade some when I was in Newfoundland 7 yrs ago & I want more NOW!!! My scout troup loved it so much we were fighting over it & straling it from eachother, it was really addicting & we still all crave it, but they don't sell that meat where I live, but when I move to Newfoundland I'm gonna stock up on it :)

I really want to try deer, moose, rabbit, and game birds & anyother game meat, thats local to this country.

04-05-2003, 09:19 AM
I love the "simple kind" of food best! No fancy stuff for me!!

I also like to try etnic food, like chinese, vietnamese, indonesian, indian. As long as it isn't to spicy, it is okay. I HATE organic food, like brains, bows, liver, kidneys, etc...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Andie
04-05-2003, 11:29 AM
I'm just a simple girl!

I don't eat anything that comes outta the water anymore (use to eat catfish and bass at one point)

Don't eat any wildlife other than deer.

I love Mexican food and although my best friend is Indian I've never eaten any Indian food. (mainly cuz she did most of the cooking and although I love Jaz to death I don't trust her cooking!)

I don't eat any organs from anything!

jackiesdaisy1935
04-05-2003, 02:26 PM
I love escargo but not caviar, and I love any kind of seafood, especially lobster, but who can afford it? LOL Only Logan and Sandra, LOL LOL
Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

ChrisH
04-05-2003, 04:36 PM
I think escargot are snails are they not? I think I will pass on them along with the frogs legs and cavier.:) Don`t like prawns because besides not liking the taste, I once heard them described as the scavengers of the sea which put me off completely.:) And I really don`t like animal innards such as liver, kidneys, heart etc. either.:)
I am more for the ordinary everyday food, although I do love spicy food a lot too, Indian, Mexican etc.

Chris

Cincy'sMom
04-05-2003, 05:05 PM
I love food!!!

I tend to be more adventurous..I like to find the most unusual thinkg on the menu to order and I also like ethnic restaurants...Thai, Indian, Japenese, Greek, Lebanese, Mexican, Chinese, does not matter!!!

I've never considred Lima beans a comfort food...interesting!
I usually think of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, maccaroni, etc...

My absolute favorite restaurant is Emeril's -Orlando!!! ( The only one of his I have been to. I am hoping this summer we maybe be able to try his 2nd Orlando Restaurant, Tchoup-Chop ( Pronounced chop-chop) They Speciallize in Asian and Polynesian influences)

Cincy'sMom
04-05-2003, 05:19 PM
This thread gotme thinking about emeril's and so I had to go check out the menu for the new restaurant....this in ONLY the entrees:

Kona Coffee Glazed Duck Breast served with Duck and Vegetable Chow Mein

Kiawe Smoked Pork Ribs with Hoisin Barbecue Sauce served with House Steamed Rice and Tchoup Chop Slaw

Banana Leaf Steamed Fish of the Day served with House Steamed Rice, Chile Onion Salsa and Sake Soy Glaze

Kiawe Grilled Rib Eye Steak served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Fried Maui Onions, Homemade Teriyaki Sauce and Stir Fried Vegetables

Tchoup Chop Chicken "Hawaiian Style" Marinated, Spit Roasted Half Chicken served with Macaroni Salad and Tchoup Chop Slaw

Kalua Pork (Slow Roasted) and Noodle Sauté with Tchoup Chop Spices and Seasonal Vegetables

Macadamia Nut Crusted Atlantic Salmon served with Ginger Soy Butter Sauce, House Steamed Rice and Stir Fried Vegetables

Braised Kobe Beef Short Ribs served with House Steamed Rice and Ham Hock Red Beans

Tchoup Chop's Creative Clay Pot of the Day served with House Steamed Rice

Hawaiian Style Dinner Plate including Kiawe Smoked Ribs, Kalua Pork, Grilled Chicken, Macaroni Salad, Tchoup Chop Slaw and House Steamed Rice

I am already torn between the Coffee glazed Duck and the Macademia nut crusted fish....can't wait for JULY!!!

Karen
04-05-2003, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty adventurous, had frog's legs in 5th grade class one day (someone's project), I've eaten calamari (squid), love lobster (didn't inherit granmdpa's allergy to it like my little brother did), have had caviar (did freelance work for a caviar-packer), jellyfish, and even haggis -just one mouthful of my friend's portion in a reastaurant! Not to mention "1,000-year-old eggs" and various unidentifiable stuff in China!

The scariest, though, was a "chocolate birthday cake" made from my mother's recipe (Ma was an excellent cook) by a relative who shall remain unidentified. I was dubious (it looked like a tan sponge) took one bite, discretely spit it back out into my napkin (cause it kinda tasted like an old sponge), and took Paul's plate from him before he tried it! For several years, I declined cake at that house, and stuck with "Just ice cream, please!" :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
04-05-2003, 08:53 PM
I am so picky its scary... one night we will have pork chops, and then like a couple weeks later, well have em again, and i wont eat em. and i HATE leftovers... yuck... i dont eat crispy french fries, i dont really like chocolate either... :eek: