PDA

View Full Version : First night of puppy training!

Cookiebaker
04-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Aaaagh I am so excited!! We started dog training tonight! There are about 15 dogs in the class :eek: There are two of them that are ESPECIALLY loud...just barking non-stop. But besides them so many of the dogs are well behaved! We have about 5 labs, a pitbull (he was loud!), an Australian cattledog, a maltese, a blue-merle Collie(?), a cocker spaniel, a couple of mutts, and some others that I'm not sure of the breed. There was a little black lab mix that is in training to work with the handicapped. What a special and relaxed little guy!!

So tonight was basic introduction. She went over techniques, and demonstrated on her black labbie. She wants us to with a choke collar...I'm not crazy about this, but am willing to give it a try. She's a very nice lady, and seems to be quite knowledgable.

However, there are a couple of things that drive me a little crazy. The dog she was demonstrating on is UNneutered, and she believes in breeding. She has bred her male lab on numerous occasions. I was kinda shocked to hear this, but I guess we can't change the world all at once :(

Logan
04-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Well, without good breeders, there wouldn't be any of those magnificent black Labs that I love so much! I'm going to hope that she is one of those responsible ones that "knows her stuff". Don't let the choke chain frighten you. If used properly, it is a good training tool and you'll learn to use it properly. It never worked too well for us because Honey and Lilly have so much hair. But perhaps it will work for you! Good luck!! :)

KYS
04-02-2003, 08:51 AM
Glad you guys enjoyed your first class.
I will be looking forward to future
class updates. :)

tatsxxx11
04-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Congratulations! It sounds like a fun group!:D I LOVE going to obedience classes with Star; the doggies have so much fun. And don't fret the "choke" collar. Just make sure you put it on in the "P" position and not the "9"...that way there is no chance of him choking. It's only meant to exert a firm tug above the throat WITHOUT choking! If you used a standard type leather/cloth collar, he would gag if you pulled on it. Can someone take pics...PLEASE??:)