PDA

View Full Version : Today the Spca...

wolfsoul
04-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Today in Capp, we had a presentation from a lady I know, Kae, who works at the Spca....She showed us a video about working in a shelter, and when I left, I was in tears, as well as a number of other students...I even saw some guys crying, which is wierd cuz they would usually try to hide it:rolleyes:
It was sad because the video showed a number of animals being euthanized. I knew what it was all about, but I didn't know it looked like that...:( They were so happy and then they were just...gone...:(

primabella
04-01-2003, 06:45 PM
I used to want to become a vet really badly but after watching an episode of Emergency Vets on APL I couldn't bare it when one cat had to be euthanized because she had cancer. It's so sad, I dropped the idea. I knew I wouldn't be able to do that everyday, especially breaking the news to a 3 year old kid. :(

I guess it was a good experience in the way that people should see what goes on in shelters and that it's not all, walk in, pick a dog and leave and everyone wins.

carole
04-01-2003, 08:18 PM
yes being a vet u would sometimes have to be cruel to be kind if u know what i mean, i could not do it, i think my young daughter could do it, she loves animals but she could deal with the yukky side of it i think

neko1
04-02-2003, 05:34 AM
I'm a vet tech and have to deal with that kind of stuff all the time. Sometimes we can go for weeks without a euthanasia, and sometimes we'll get 3 or 4 in a week. It's really hard at first, but you have to learn to separate yourself somewhat from it. We definately feel for the clients and are sympathetic and give hugs and stuff, but if we were to break down and cry, it would just upset the owner even more and make them feel like a bad person for doing it.
The hardest ones to deal with are the clients that you've really grown to know. Last week one of our favorite clients had to put his dog to sleep. It was really hard. We all feel so bad for him and we are still thinking about how sad it is.
But you cannot dwell on this side of the job because there is so much more to it, so many happy things about the job!

moosmom
04-02-2003, 06:55 AM
I had every intention of going to school to become a vet tech until I spoke with one of my friends who WAS a vet tech. Because I feel so strongly about declawing (it should be outlawed!!) I'm not sure I could assist in a procedure like that. My friend Heather told me some of the horror stories that go on behind closed doors. I was shocked! :eek: She told me that veterinary hospitals do what they have to do to get things done. Bottom line is, whatever it takes to make their clients happy and to make money.

That's when I tore up the paperwork. I'd rather volunteer at a no-kill shelter, knowing that all the animals there are treated with respect.

Neko1,

I hope you're not offended. I give you alot of credit for being able to work as a Vet Tech. I have less of a problem working as a paramedic than a Vet Tech. It takes a special person on both counts. ;)

HoRsELUvR
04-02-2003, 03:42 PM
That must be so sad to watch a pet being euthanized.I didn't know u were a vet tech, neko1 thats pretty cool.its so sad to have to euthanize animals.

bluekat
04-02-2003, 04:30 PM
I sometimes watch the Toronto Humane Society shows on TV, and I always cry. Its so sad, watching all the animals being abused by their owners, and then having to be put to sleep. Even though I watched them all a few times already, I always cry for this particular one. Its so sad.....poor animals......having to be euthanized:( I really want to be a vet, but I know that I wouldn't like to be the one putting the animals to sleep.

primabella
04-02-2003, 04:48 PM
What's the difference between a vet and vet tech? :)