PDA

View Full Version : Our Porch

K & L
04-01-2003, 04:02 PM
We just were informed our Porch has to be put down. He's the one that someone injured and made him have no control over bladder or bowels. He has become worse and they see no hope for him. We are so depressed.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/p95cbc3ce5d195731ba50477e405288b0/fd5d8b40.jpg

NoahsMommy
04-01-2003, 04:15 PM
Oh no!!!! :( That is horrible news, I'm so so sorry. :( :( :( :( I know he is a very special kitty to you.

When is he going? Are you going to be OK??

I'm so sorry. :(

Catsnclay
04-01-2003, 04:50 PM
:( I do believe that he is already gone....

Kevin & Lisa have been wonderful to all of their cats (16) and all the park cats that they feed twice daily.....I believe that there are 40 - 60 cats at their park. Porch was found hanging around their porch, and Kevin named him. Even though he was a "special needs" kitty he was always happy and always greeted people when you came to their house. He is the only one who was allowed outside because of his problem. I do believe that he "found" them because he knew he would be loved and well taken care of.

So now Porch joins Calvin at Rainbow Bridge.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-01-2003, 05:38 PM
:( :( :(

Rest in peace, Porch. You sound like a real sweety and I'm glad you found love before this fateful day. :(

slick
04-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Porch, you are so gorgeous. Happy trip to the RB and say Hi to my Casper, my OJ, and also to Sandy, Pumpkin and Zachary. Tell them I love them very much.

How fortunate you were to have such a loving family to take care of you. I know you are now happy and healthy and chasing all those micies up there. Save a spot for K & L and look forward to the day you can all be together again.

Kevin & Lisa: my heart breaks for you. I know that Porch knows you loved him very much. Thanks for all you do for the kitties.

K & L
04-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Fortunately Porch is still here. Kevin made the decision to try anything at any cost to help him through this. Porch is so packed with "poop" because of his neurological damage it's beyond constipation. They will have to preform a colonectomy(spelling) and hope Porch makes it through this. We will let you know Porch's outcome.

bluekat
04-01-2003, 05:44 PM
:( :( :( :( I'm feel so sorry for you guys, I know you must be very depressed. That's so sad....Porch seemed like a wonderful cat, I'm sure he was. Porch, I'm sure that you had a happy life, with a loving family.
R.I.P Porch.......have fun at Rainbow Bridge..........:( :( :(

bluekat
04-01-2003, 05:46 PM
Oh sorry, I just posted and didn't know that Porch is still here. I'm glad that there still might be a chance for him. I hope he makes it,keep us updated!

Catsnclay
04-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Oh my gosh.........I posted too soon! Porch is still alive!! Kevin has opted for surgery.....so lets hope that it helps him! I am SO sorry! I just talked with Lisa and they decided at the last minute that they had to try surgery. Again, I feel bad because I posted misleading info.......

jenluckenbach
04-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Dear Porch, Many prayers and {{{{{HUGS}}}}} are coming your way. I wish only the best for you because you are such a special kitty.

batgirl1980
04-01-2003, 06:32 PM
:( :( :( that's so sad. *reaches for the kleenex to wipe the tears away* I hope he comes through surgery ok. please keep us updated.

*praying he comes out of surgery with great news and great health*

Soledad
04-01-2003, 06:33 PM
All the best for your beautiful boy. He is in my thoughts. :(

Steffi N
04-01-2003, 06:36 PM
Kevin and Lisa, thank you for taking this chance to save Porch. I hope he makes it through the surgery and will be better.

K & L
04-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Catsndclay please don't feel bad. The vet made the recommendation to put him down and Kevin sadly said OK. At the last minute he said NO...please try everything you can. The major problem is the neurological damage from whatever happened to him before we found him. If Porch didn't have this problem, outcome would be much more positive. We just called the vet and they said Porch is purring and giving them love.

We found Porch wandering the neighborhood looking for food. We started feeding him and decided we'd keep him so made his vet appointment before exposing him to the rest. We noticed he never held his tail up and walked funny. The vet said he had been injured (how no one would know) and had permanent neurolgical damage. Because of this, Porch cannot control his bowels or bladder therefore we could not keep him totally indoors. We let him come and go and things seemed to be working out until now. Seems the neurolgical damage is getting worse and preventing Porch from eliminating. They're hoping removing a big portion of his colon will help his elimination by not having such a long journey down and out (to put it tactfully). They're waiting on all the blood work to make sure kidney's etc. are functioning properly before attempting surgery.

Thank you EVERYONE for all your kind words and thoughts. This is very hard, especially on my husband. We will keep you posted.

slick
04-01-2003, 07:07 PM
Just came back to read this. Guess I spoke too soon. Porch, God will be watching over you during the procedure. Best of luck and we'll be waiting right here for you in the hopes of seeing more pictures.

kimlovescats
04-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Bless you and your husband both for being so loving and taking such wonderful care of beautiful Porch!!! It almost sounds like he was run over by a car at some point and time. Thank God he has found you two to love and care for him come what may!!! Please let us know what the vet finds out about his blood work, and know that we are praying for him to pull through his surgery!!!

;)

aly
04-01-2003, 08:09 PM
You and your husband are angels. Thank you so much for all that you do. I am crying so much right now because I don't want you guys to lose Porch. If it comes to that, know that you gave him a wonderful life and showed him more love than he's ever been shown. If he goes to the Bridge, at least it will be because it was his time and not starving to death on the street with no one to love him. You have given him so much. Hold on to that. I will be praying that he makes it through the surgery and everything works out.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Porch... I'm praying for you little buddy.... I pray that God will help the surgeons know exactly what to do to get your little body fully functioning.... hang in there

Kevin and Lisa... you two are so great to take your time to show love to the dear animals that the world wants to abandon... *HUGS* for you.!!

krazyaboutkatz
04-01-2003, 11:32 PM
Kevin and Lisa you are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so glad that you're giving him another chance with surgery. Prayers are on the way for a successful surgery and a happy and healthy long life for sweet Porch.

rg_girlca
04-02-2003, 12:09 AM
My prayers and thoughts are with you all.

marysmerrycats
04-02-2003, 05:50 AM
I just now saw this thread. the poor kitty! I would do the same, try everything possible. I hope they can save Porch!
I'll be praying for him!

Barbara
04-02-2003, 05:57 AM
Dear K+L,
25 years ago my little Meo had to be put to sleep because of a neurological damage of her colon after an accident we don't know about. At that time nobody was informing me about a surgery but I am sure cat treatment is much more advanced now. I keep everything crossed for handsome Porch:) :)

Vio&Juni
04-02-2003, 06:32 AM
You are angels. I would do the same as your husband, if there is the smallest chance, I would take it. I will keep my fingers crossed that everything works.
there are happy endings too - Basset was one (let her be heatlhy for many, many years!) - so, let's hope your Porch will make it.

HayleyRosie
04-02-2003, 07:08 AM
I am praying that everything turns out for you guys.

emily_the_spoiled
04-02-2003, 07:10 AM
Our fingers and paws are crossed for Porch and his surgery. I admire you and your husband for what you are doing...

Cheryl, Emily and Tanner

PayItForward
04-02-2003, 07:58 AM
Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

04-02-2003, 08:26 AM
All fingers, paws& tails crossed here too!!!

ScantyNebula
04-02-2003, 08:32 AM
same here! all the best!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-02-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Bless you and your husband both for being so loving and taking such wonderful care of beautiful Porch!!! It almost sounds like he was run over by a car at some point and time. Thank God he has found you two to love and care for him come what may!!! Please let us know what the vet finds out about his blood work, and know that we are praying for him to pull through his surgery!!!

My thoughts exactly. I'm so glad you decided on the surgery. We'll be thinking about and praying for Porch and you both, K & L.

Come on sweety, Porch, you can pull through this. You have many people here who love you and are pulling for you, and two people there who love you very, very much. :)

2kitties
04-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Dear Porch,
You are a beautiful kitty with wonderf humans who clearly love you very very much. Please hang in there and be tough, you can do it. I'll send a big hug and a head butt your way. Be good to the vets and give your humans lots of love. They are your angels.

K & L
04-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Porch is in surgery right now! I'm so nervous...Let's pray he survives this part!

batgirl1980
04-02-2003, 12:43 PM
Let us know as soon as you find out something!!! *all paws and toes and fingers crossed here for porch to get through surgery with flying colors*

I know it must be tough on you {{{hugs}}}

Logan
04-02-2003, 12:58 PM
Kevin and Lisa (so nice to have a name to address you by).....

We're praying for Porch too. Hope the surgery will be successful. You are precious to work so hard for these cats!!! :)

K & L
04-02-2003, 01:12 PM
***UPDATE****

Porch SURVIVED surgery and the Dr. is pleased with the outcome. He will have to stay hospitalized till at least Sunday. The Dr. said he's in a critical point to make sure no infection develops. I think my husband made a wise decision...who cares about the $$$$$$$.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p4696ae4e76fcc8cb3847e749c00cd5f7/fc672850.jpg

NoahsMommy
04-02-2003, 01:14 PM
Yay for Porch!!!!!!!!! :)

I'll be praying hard for this little guy.

slick
04-02-2003, 01:20 PM
K & L: you are so special! I'm so glad that Porch came through. See?? Your love for Porch has been the driving force to keep him alive. Miracles do happen every day. :D Please keep us posted and hopefully you can post more pictures.

HayleyRosie
04-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Way to go Porch!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Hooray!!! Porch made it!!! Hopefully the rest of the week will go as well as the surgery did and he'll be home and healing up in no time.

That is a great picture of him on the car. What a handsome boy. We'll be thinking about you, Porch, and praying for a fast recovery! :)

emily_the_spoiled
04-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Congratulations :D :D :D I am so happy that Porce survived the operation. He obviously has a very strong will to live and you are the lucky recipients of that.

We will keep our fingers and paws crossed for his quick recovery.

Cheryl, Emily, and Tanner

K & L
04-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Thank you ALL!! It's so nice to have support and understanding all over the world!

I'm SO glad they're keeping him through the week. I would be totally paranoid until he heals. I sure hope the worse is over. My husband did good!:D

kimlovescats
04-02-2003, 01:31 PM
Oh that is just fantastic news!!! I'll be praying that Porch continues to heal and will get to come home in a week or so!!!

:D

jenluckenbach
04-02-2003, 01:43 PM
*****BIG sigh of relief*****
Good going Porch. I knew you could do it. Don't be too scared staying at the vet's, they want to take real good care of you. You work real hard at getting better so you can come home to your loving and devoted family.

Nomilynn
04-02-2003, 02:02 PM
That's great news :)

Barbara
04-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Way to go Porch:) :) :)

PayItForward
04-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Great news.

Hurry up and get well Porch, your mummy is missing you.

batgirl1980
04-02-2003, 04:14 PM
WHOOO HOOOO . way to go Porch!!!

You get better real quick ok? Your meowmie is missing you bad, and we all want you home and comfortable, where you can get endless kitty scritchies and hugs!

*now grabs a kleenex for tears of joy that he made it through surgery*

bluekat
04-02-2003, 04:55 PM
YAY!!!!! I was just checking in to see how everything is, and this is what I've been hoping for! I've kept you in my thoughts and prayers, and I'm so happy that Porch is out of surgery and doing well! Good thing you decided to go through surgery!

Porch- I'm still praying for you that you have a speedy recovery!

K&L and Porch, you guys take care, and keep us updated!

*****Many purrs and hugs******

ChrisH
04-02-2003, 05:02 PM
I am sorry but I have only just seen this thread. Bless you Lisa and Kevin for not giving up on Porch and I so glad that he came through the surgery well.
Saying prayers and sending positive thoughts that he has a speedy and good recovery.

Chris

K & L
04-02-2003, 05:56 PM
I went to visit Porch after work. He still has an IV, and little groggy/grouchy but looked well. They showed me a digital picture of what they took out of him. I couldn't believe it. A huge length of colon packed with poop. It was unbelievable. I guess Porch had Megacolon and they gave me literature to read up on. They want him on a special diet which is going to be VERY difficult with 16 other cats. We'll figure something out. I will let you all know how he's doing in the next few days. Thank you all again for your support!!

Hugs and Kisses from Porch!

aly
04-02-2003, 05:59 PM
YAAAAY for Porch! What a tough little guy he is. He wasn't quite ready to leave this world yet :) Please give a special thanks to your husband.

jenluckenbach
04-02-2003, 06:57 PM
K & L, Do you free-feed with food down all the time? (if so) Do you think you can teach them to eat 2 meals a day, with no food down? That way Porch can have his food in one place and the others can have theirs someplace else.

K & L
04-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Yes we do free food, and we may have to go that route. This will all work out in the end, it will just take some adjustments for us all. Things aren't so easy in a multicat household huh? Thanks for the idea and input.

krazyaboutkatz
04-02-2003, 11:36 PM
Yeah!!!:D I'm so glad that Porch made it through his surgery. :) Prayers are on the way for a quick and full recovery.

Vio&Juni
04-03-2003, 02:24 AM
Life is a one time gift and it's such a pitty to lose it too early, no matter the reason.
I am so glad your husband decided to try everything for this little guy. I hope he gets well soon.

K & L
04-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Porch made it throught the night! They said he even purred this morning. They will start him on a little food this afternoon. Sounds like he's gonna make it!:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-03-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by K & L
They said he even purred this morning.

Awww...that's so sweet. It's as if he knows they did their best to help him and he's so grateful for it. I sure hope everything continues to go well. :)

batgirl1980
04-03-2003, 02:16 PM
YAY. I'm soo glad to hear he's doing well! :) that just made my day!!!!

Russian Blue
04-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Woohooo!!

;)

Barbara
04-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Hoorayy!!!!
We won't stop the crossing of fingers and paws.

What you describe sounds very much like the problem my poor little Meo had in 1978. She was the daughter of my first cat Grisette and now Filou's furrrlfriend Juni reminds me of her. I was so sad when she had to die at a year or so (and decided to always keep my cats indoor). Now I am happy to see there is hope for Porch.

K & L
04-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Here's what Porch had and the procedure that was done:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/constipation_and_megacolon.html

jenluckenbach
04-03-2003, 03:48 PM
I am glad Porch comtinues to do well.

Steffi N
04-03-2003, 06:09 PM
I am so glad Porch made it through the night. I hope he was able to eat a little and has been purring today. It is wonderful that such advances that have been made in treating animals. :) :)

kimlovescats
04-03-2003, 08:21 PM
That's so wonderful!!! Sweet baby purring this morning!!!:)

krazyaboutkatz
04-04-2003, 12:04 AM
I'm so glad to hear that Porch is doing well. :) Prayers are still on the way for a speedy recovery. All fingers and paws are still crossed here too.

Vio&Juni
04-04-2003, 01:22 AM
Yipee! Porch is better. I told my family about Porch and your husband, so, now we all are keeping our fingers crossed for him.

marysmerrycats
04-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Porch SURVIVED surgery and the Dr. is pleased with the outcome. He will have to stay hospitalized till at least Sunday. The Dr. said he's in a critical point to make sure no infection develops. I think my husband made a wise decision...who cares about the $$$$$$$.

here! here! I totally agree with the$$ thing!
when I read that porch got thru the surgery and is doing well,
you know the feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you hear of a sick cat? well I felt like that but in the good way!
Im so glad Porch is doing well.... hang in there tough Porch,
your mommy and daddy are anxious to bring you home!

K & L
04-04-2003, 10:22 AM
I just talked with the vets and they said Porch is doing VERY well, better than they ever expected! He even ate yesterday afternoon. They said I can come by this afternoon and visit him, but they want him to remain there until maybe tomorrow. I told them I'd rather him be there and ensure all is staying well with him. I guess infection is a main concern with a procedure like this so they have him on an IV with antibiotics.

kimlovescats
04-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Oh this is just the most wonderful news!!!! I am so thrilled for all of you!!! Soon Porch will be home and living a normal kitty life with two of the greatest humans ever!!!! :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Wonderful news that Porch is doing so well! :) And they had originally said he might be able to come home on Sunday, and now they're saying Saturday, so it sounds like they are very impressed with his progress. He sounds like a real fighter, with a real will to live. :) Hope he continues to progress so well and is home soon. :)

ChrisH
04-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Wonderful news!:) :) :) :) :)

lynnestankard
04-04-2003, 12:32 PM
How come I missed this thread!

So sorry Lisa - having read through this whole thread - I'm sort of laughing and crying all at once. My heart goes out to you and I do hope Porch will come home to be loved and to recuperate with the best Meowmie and Daddy a furbaby could wish for.
{{{Hugs}}}} to you all.

Lynne

jenluckenbach
04-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Such wonderful news about Porch. Did the vet mention how his "pooping" mechanism was working?

K & L
04-04-2003, 02:14 PM
No, we're going there today after work and visiting Porch and talking with the vet. He just had food late yesterday afternoon so maybe they'll know when we visit!

ramanth
04-04-2003, 03:29 PM
Yay Porch! You get better soon, okay sweet boy?

*hugs*

K&L, you are your hubby are angels. :D

marysmerrycats
04-04-2003, 06:47 PM
keep improving Porch!

please keep us updated.