PDA

View Full Version : Possibly a Better Idea?

Pam
04-01-2003, 12:28 PM
While watching The O'Reilly Factor about a week ago he was talking about the protestors. His comment was that this type of activity puts a lot of added stress on the local police who are called up to 'keep it peaceful' and also aid in traffic control when streets are blocked, etc. He said that during this time especially he would rather see the police not taken away from their job of protecting the public from the very real concern of a possible terror attack.

This morning on TV there was a report of a vigil held last night for one of the POW's (James Riley) who is from a town about 10 min. from me. Hundreds of people attended and prayed and showed support for this young man as well as all of the others who are in harm's way in Iraq.

What a wonderful thing it would be if the protestors could channel their energy into holding vigils instead of protests. Why not gather together in prayer instead of in anger? I know they want to make their point that they are against the war, but whether we like it or not it is occurring right now and will go on "for however long it takes," as Pres. Bush has said. Instead of disrupting things and draining police resources, why not gather peacefully and pray for these men and women and their families? For those who don't want to pray, just have a moment of silence to reflect on what those in uniform are going through right now. I know if I was a parent of someone serving now it would certainly be appreciated. How discouraging to have a son/daughter/husband/wife in harm's way and people at home protesting. Besides the power of prayer is so much stronger than anything us mortals can do. Thanks for letting me on the soapbox for a bit. :)

Logan
04-01-2003, 01:05 PM
I am totally in agreement with you, Pam. You get on your soapbox whenever you want to!!! :)

momoffuzzyfaces
04-01-2003, 01:13 PM
I've always felt peace protests were a waste of time anyway and lots of times end in violence which is counter to what they say they are for. Besides, no one really wants war and marching around with a sign causing trouble won't stop it anyway. I firmly believe in prayers and the power of them. Of course, you will have people who are anti-prayer protesting against THEM instead of just staying home doing something productive. :D

RICHARD
04-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
Of course, you will have people who are anti-prayer protesting against THEM instead of just staying home doing something productive. :D

do you really think that the founding fathers had something like that in mind when the started the wheels rolling????

i wish i could bring them back and get their point of view on
current events...

mugsy
04-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Me too Richard!

I agree that the protests are a waste of time, but, they have to do something with their time if they're against the war. God forbid they not have their Constitutional right. Not that I have a problem with Constitutional rights, because I believe in them wholeheartedly. What I have a problem with is people hiding behind the Constitution when they do something that they know is inappropriate.

jackiesdaisy1935
04-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Excellent post Pam I totally agree with you in every way.
Jackie

Rachel
04-01-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Pam
While watching The O'Reilly Factor about a week ago he was talking about the protestors. His comment was that this type of activity puts a lot of added stress on the local police who are called up to 'keep it peaceful' and also aid in traffic control when streets are blocked, etc. He said that during this time especially he would rather see the police not taken away from their job of protecting the public from the very real concern of a possible terror attack.

That was my first thought when I saw the protests in Chicago....all these police are being diverted from crime and vigilence for possible terrorism. A well written letter to the newspaper will reach far more people (if that is what is desired) than being in the streets does.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
do you really think that the founding fathers had something like that in mind when the started the wheels rolling????

i wish i could bring them back and get their point of view on
current events...
:D I don't think they had protest marches back then. But instead of marching people could write their congress people. Flood them with mail. Make them earn the $5,000 a year raise they gave themselves. (Sorry, that's a REAL sore spot with me). I know, I know they'd never see the mail, their poor secreteries would have to deal with it, but maybe they'd at least hear about it.

As for the founding fathers; they probably wouldn't found the country; they'd leave it lost.:eek: ;)

RICHARD
04-01-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
:D I don't think they had protest marches back then. :eek: ;)

no they were FAR more 'creative'.......

instead of marches they had tea parties........lol!