PDA

View Full Version : Canine Candy Stripers

tatsxxx11
08-01-2001, 02:07 PM
Thought you all would like to read this article I received through my animal assisted therapy group. (Especially Julie, PyrLab) But can't seem to figure out how to post it! Maybe someone can help...Karen???

file://C:\My%20Documents\Pet%20Talk%20Furkids\Canine%20Ca ndy%20Stripers.htm

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

Cinder & Smoke
08-01-2001, 03:37 PM
Sandra is doing her best to try and distribute the Time Magazine article on "Canine Candy Stripers", but the graphics don't seem to want to copy, no matter how hard we try.

Here's a Link to the Time Magazine article - hope this works:
Time Magazine's "Canine Candy Stripers" article. (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,169327,00.html)

And here's the companion Photoessay "Sit! Shake! HEAL!";
Time Photoessay on Canine Candy Stripers. (http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/plove/)

And here's Another Time Photoessay on Predidential First Pets:
Time's Presidential First Pets phptoessay. (http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/prespets/)

Thanks for finding these, Sandra ~ just hope the links work :D.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Cinder & Smoke ]

Sudilar
08-01-2001, 03:56 PM
What a great photoessay!!!! Koyla is just magnificent. Very typical of that gentle giant, loving and calm Great Pyr spirit!! Wow!!! Took my breath away!!!!

tatsxxx11
08-01-2001, 05:07 PM
Bless you, sweet Phred! I knew you all would find it special. I think our pals Cinder and Smokey have it in them to do great work!!! Hope the email didn't give you a scare Phred, what with THE WORM
and such :D Kisses to Killi, Shiloh, Smokey and Cinder!

karen israel
08-02-2001, 09:02 AM
Oh yes! Our God given sweet, precious, loving, understanding, k9s....
The daughter of my dad's roommate at the nursing home, brought his little daschund, Fritz, the other day, and the reaction and sudden change in the man's temperment was unbelievable. Both dog and human had a great reunion that I brought my Cody that night. He went crazy sniffing everything and was a bit unsettled, but he ran over to my dad and licked him and whined. I'm taking Carrie's advise and bringing him as often as possible, a little at a time to get used to it. He protected my dad like crazy when he was home, watched his every mood, snuggled him..OMG! I could cry. I just love out K9 friends to pieces..incredible creatures.

Logan
08-02-2001, 10:54 AM
Thanks, Sandra and Phred! What a great article and the pictures are priceless. My thoughts about the Great Pyrenese were exactly like yours, Sue. I swear, the bigger they are, the more I love them! I am so in love with Sadie's Newfies I can hardly stand it! Just what I need, another BIG dog, bigger than the ones I already have! LOL!

CoraNewf
08-02-2001, 11:47 AM
When Cora & I graduated from our Pet Therapy Training, a woman from our local hospice was there speaking on the importance of Pet Therapy and the Human/Animal Bond.

She told a very touching story of a young man, who was around the age of 13-15 and mentally retarded. He was dying, and a patient at Hospice. He kept saying he wanted to see a puppy. So, one of the staffers called a local shelter, and one of the shelter's volunteers brought over a puppy.

She placed the puppy on the boys chest, while his family members looked on. He was overjoyed, and laughed and smiled as he stroked the puppy, and the puppy covered his face with kisses. That is how he died.... he slipped away, happily and peacefully.

His family stood watching in awe. They were overwhelmed by the beauty of it all.... and so very grateful.

In another related matter, Cora & I volunteer at our local battered women's shelter. There are children living in the shelter with their Mothers. One of the social workers told me on Tuesday, that after our last visit, there had been a breakthrough... two of the children we had visited with spoke for the first time since they had been in the shelter.

That touched me beyond words.....

Sudilar
08-02-2001, 12:06 PM
Well, Annie, now you've got me crying. That story about the boy was so touching.
Animals can do wonderful things, if only we let them.

tatsxxx11
08-02-2001, 01:12 PM
Annie, your story was heartwrenching. Sue is so right. These creatures are amazing and incredible God given gifts that show us every day the healing power of love.

Daisy's Mom
08-02-2001, 11:16 PM
"The best medicine is a puppy licking your face!" I love that quote. It's so true. What can make you feel better? Nothing, in my mind.

As many of you know, my father has ALS (aka Lhou Gherig's disease). He is in a wheelchair, on a ventilator, has a feeding tube, and can't speak. It's hard for everyone in the family, but I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is for he himself to have to watch his body deteriorate and not be able to do anything to stop it. He was depressed and sad, like anyone would be. Then, we got Daisy. He was against getting a dog from the beginning, he said we had enough problems in the family. But we got her, and every night he thanks God that we have her. They have such a special bond! She plays with everyone, head butting and jumping around, but when I place her on his lap, she knows to be gentle, and she sits there, kissing his face until he can't stop laughing. He loves to watch her crazy hound antics and laugh. You should see his eyes when he looks at her! They shine! They really do. When he isn't feeling well, she will just go sit by him next to his wheelchair and he will reach down and slowly pet her, calming him and actually exercising his arm at the same time. She does so much for him. They love each other so much and she pulled him out of his depression rut. He is happier than he was by far, and we owe it all to Daisy. Okay, I've babbled on enough about Dad and Daze now...

Annie, your stories were beautiful. You must feel so great to know you have really made a difference in a life. I think you and Cora are great for what you are doing. Someday I hope to enter a program like that with Daisy. Maybe to a nursing home or something. After all... they look like her... wrinkly and droopy! ;)

AdoreMyDogs
08-03-2001, 08:54 AM
All those stories are beautiful and touching beyond words. Koyla is an absolute angel with her big white body. Cora is a miracle with her healing ways, and Daisy is a gift from God for your father...as well as all of those healing dogs, Cody and all the rest of our beloved friends that heal people in need. I have signed up for a class for me on Sept. 29th (how to handle yourself and your dog in a therapy setting) and then then the next day on the 30th I am getting Graham evaluated by Delta Society certified evaluaters. I so strongly feel that Graham's life would have more meaning if he were able to provide love and support to those in need, especially children. I love what dogs do. They are such miracles and I am honored to get a chance to hear all these touching stories.

tatsxxx11
08-04-2001, 05:17 PM
That's great Leslie! Graham will be perfect!! How did you locate a Delta Society evaluator? I know they are based in Seattle; I think? And through what group are you attending your class re: handling your dog in therapy settings? Can't seem to hook up with any type class or group here! Hugs to "the man" Graham!!!!

Bridget. You and Daisy are two special girls! How wonderful that Daisy brings some much needed "extra loving" to your Dad. I pray for him every day. Give that Daisy a big kiss from Star and Cody!

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

Daisy's Mom
08-04-2001, 11:49 PM
Thank you so much for your prayers, Sandra. That really means so much to me and my whole family. You, Star, and Cody are special girls yourselves!

Sudilar
08-05-2001, 04:29 PM
Leslie and Graham, that is just so wonderful. Congratulations. You will be great at your jobs!!

Bridget, I am so sorry. I'm glad that Daisy can bring such happiness to your father. I'll add him to my prayer list.

CoraNewf
08-05-2001, 09:04 PM
Daisy's Mom.... Your Father and family are in my thoughts and prayers. The Human/Animal bond is so strong, it never ceases to amaze me.

Leslie & Graham... good luck on your test... I'm sure you'll both do fine!!! When you start your visits, you'll find they are amazing... and rewarding!

There are days when I'm just not "in the mood" to race home, get Cora and head to the shelter. However, I always do, and on those days, I'm always humbled by what I observe, and very glad that I didn't cancel!!!

jackiesdaisy1935
08-05-2001, 09:43 PM
I am sitting here with tears in my eyes reading these magnificent stories of kindness, courage, and devotion. At this time it is wonderful to know that there are people who truly care, sometimes when we see the news we think is there no compassion left in this world? These stories make a difference in so many lives and show us that animals are here to love and care for us just as we love and care for them.
Bridget, at your age I think you are a fantastic young woman, so loving, compassionate, and caring with your Dad and daisy. I will keep you and your Dad in my thoughts and prayers.
Jackie

Daisy's Mom
08-07-2001, 12:11 AM
Sue, Annie, and Jackie, thank you so much for your prayers and kind words. It sure isn't easy, but we're surviving, and Daisy makes live a little more bearable for all of us! She is our little angel in disguise ;) We always say that if she flapped those ears hard enough, she could fly right up to Heaven!

Dixie Belle
08-07-2001, 12:43 AM
I'm sitting here, just crying away. The stories here are beautiful. I too know first hand the powers of a k9. There was a man at my church that lost one of his legs. Later, he had to go to the nursing home, due to bad health. I knew he liked dogs, so I started taking Mama Dog with me to see him. The best memories I have are of him petting on her....