PDA

View Full Version : What made you...???

wolfsoul
03-31-2003, 11:31 PM
What made you pick out your dog from the rest? What was so special about him/her? :)

My dad picked Leather out of her litter because she was the fattest puppy there! :rolleyes:
Unfortunatly I wasn't there when Timber was bought for me, but she was picked because my aunt loves huskies, and there was only one other puppy with husky markings, but Timber was fluffier :p
Samuri was chosen because he was the most chocolate-coloured pup...:rolleyes:

Typing this out brings me to the conclusion that people are too focused on looks! :eek: I wasn't there for any of the pups being bought, but I wouldn't have chosen based on appearance..how about you guys? :)

wolf_Q
03-31-2003, 11:44 PM
I think I was swayed by appearance.......it's weird, as I was completely planning on a black and white female. We looked at several litters of huskies...ALL of them were adorable of course! Actually, we weren't even gonna look at the red ones....but hey, they were on the way........

There were just 2 pups left in the litter, and they were almost twins. I don't know what it was about *those* puppies, as they were complete snots :rolleyes: but I couldn't get them out of my mind. I kept thinking about them.

I went back to look at them again and kinda came home with one...heh....I chose Nebo over his twin bro because he was slightly smaller and darker, and he also had that cute stripe/spot down his belly.

My mom chose Smokey because he had the weird back and bite, and was the pup that nobody else wanted...she felt sorry for him, said he reminded her of herself, lol.

We were given Reggie by my dad's friend. He was getting older, and the last pup in the litter that they just couldn't get rid of. He was too big, had a deformed leg, ears that stuck up, and a hernia...Since he was the last pup, we didn't really choose him, but I'm glad he's the pup we got!

aly
03-31-2003, 11:50 PM
I never pick my dogs - they pick me :D

I took Lolly in as a foster because she was doing terribly at the shelter. It didn't take long before I had to call the shelter up and tell them she wasn't coming back.

Reece just looked at me with those big brown eyes and I melted into a puddle. I held him for hours on end while I was at the shelter volunteering. I filled out an application without looking back. I just knew he had to be in my life.

I took Peka in as a foster so she wouldn't get put to sleep.

I found Shiloh in a parking lot under a truck tire :(

kingrattus
03-31-2003, 11:51 PM
My dad has always loved Labs ever since he owned a see & eye dog, 30 some yrs ago, when he worked at a school for blind children... We were at he pet store (like every tue, my sis had brownies & I would help care for the puppies that were there)... We were playing with the short haired black lab mixes & this one wouldn't leave me alone, he kept chasing me around the store & bitting my boot laces.. I asked daddy if I could have a puppy & dad said which one do u like & we'll see.. so I picked him up & gave him to dad... dad held him by the scruff & then played with his paws & said he'll be a good dog, hes urs :) & thats how we got Max :) (theres more to the story on why my dad really got a dog, but I'm not typing it out)

Kfamr
04-01-2003, 12:22 AM
When my dad and I went to the SPCA to "just look" Simba was the only one laying down, not barking, not jumping. He followed us nicely outside and he stopped when i stopped. We knew he was going to be a great dog, and he is!

Nala... i didn't even expect. I never EVER though they were going to let me get another. She has a few littermates with her in her cage. I wanted a puppy puppy for years, since Simba was already 8 months when we got him. She was the smallest in her litter, she was a girl [which is needed ifi was ever to get another dog] and she damned cute. lol. My dad tells my mom it happened on "accident" but i think he had to all planned. We went into the office to "see if she was available" Not to adopt. and dad say "The lady just handed us the papers, i didn't want to say no no!" lol yeah dad sure. He's a sucker and he knows it. lol:p

captain
04-01-2003, 12:23 AM
Captain kind of chose us - he was promised to another family, but the father had a bad accident, and they wisely decided not to take on the responsiblity of a new puppy.

I had been writing to the breeder, and he phoned me to let me know he was available. I promptly went onto the Internet, and looked at his pics there. Sooooo, he picked us sort of.

Ruby, I picked because she seemed to be the most inquisitive. Boy am I sorry now!!! :D

Imagine me in a pile of spotty dogs .............. could not pick ONLY ONE by myself!!!

Cincy'sMom
04-01-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by aly
I never pick my dogs - they pick me :D

That's what I have said about my dogs too!

We went to see Sadie's litter, having in our head we wanted eithr the one remaining female or the runt of the litter (male). I was holding the male, Ralph, Sadie. They were both cute and sweet, but thre was no special feelings yet. So we traded. sadie crawled into my coat, wrapped herself around my neck and was licking my face. She knew I was to be her mommy! At this time she was only 6 weeks, so we very difficultly left her there for two more weeks!!!

We took Sadie with us when we went to see Cincy. We thought she could help us pick....she tried, but she kept pick the kitty and since I am allergic, we had to tell her no :( I watched the four pups playing and Cincy was never the leader, but wasn't shy either. If her bros and sisters would go somewhere, she would follow, but never set out on her own. I thought she would be a good match with Sadie and I felt sorry for her cause her poor little belly was so swollen. She was the runt ofthe litter and I think since 4of her bros and sisters had been adopted she was finally getting asmuch food as she could!

Mugsy picked Spot for us...I had really wanted a third dog, and if I could pick, I really wanted a spotty boy. I had been debating a spotty girl at a local rescue group, and I had sorta decided if she was available after the weekend adoption events I would see if Ralph would let me get her. That Saturday is when Molly called me and told me about Spot. He had just 6 hours left to live. I talked to ralph, he said let's do it and 2 weeks ago, we got a wonerful third addition to our house!

Jessica12345
04-01-2003, 06:52 AM
i didnt!:)

My parents just got home from dinner and she asked me to get something out of her purse. when i opened it... something furry was moving. and what i pulled out? Jewels!:D :D :D

I was only like 2 or so when we got jordan so i couldnt pick him out. but i loved him soooo much!:D

anna_66
04-01-2003, 07:45 AM
Mark picked Angus.
He had about 12 other brothers & sisters, and I wanted them all:o I couldn't make the decission, so Mark picked. Of course the one Mark wanted, the guy told us he was going to keep, but would let him go for an extra $100:rolleyes: Anyway to make a long story short, I can't imagine if Mark would have picked any of the other ones that they could have been even half the dog that Angus has:D
Roxey, now she's another story. Yes, as you all know we got her from a pet store. We were just looking & must of had *SUCKER* written all over our faces! We kept looking at the Siberians, I mean they are beautiful! So the girl offers to get the female (since we couldn't have another male with Angus) for us. For me, it was love at first sight! She wanted to come to me & snuggle in my hair, she seemed content when I held her. We debated the rest of the day about it, and decided yes! we want that girl. And the rest....is history!
Now Huney, in a way I say she choose us. A girl I worked with told me someone had dumped her at her brothers close to a week earlier, so me & my niece went to get her (at this time we did not want a third dog at all:o ). It took a little coaxing with some treats, but she finally came. When we got her home, for some reason I'd say "Come here honey" and she always would. So I thought what a better name for such a sweet girl than Huney!

cali
04-01-2003, 08:01 AM
did not pick shadow, my naighbors found her as a pup, they could not keep her(8 dogs already) so she was given to us
happy we picked cuz she was my first dog so we picked the runt of the litter
perky and Ripley were both from the shelter and we got then cuz they were the right colour and the right size we were lokken for
misty, well my dad had a vision, he pictured th epup we got would be a split faced, and a female(wanted a male) and would have th epersonality we were looken for for, low and behold when we got the the farm, their was an outgoing split faced female!we had not even called the breeder yet when my dad had this vision, that is just creepy:eek: (and of coarse misty does not even like my dad!)

RubyMutt
04-01-2003, 09:36 AM
I searched Pet Finder by weight and age. A huge dog wouldn't be good in our house/backyard. Also, I had a terrier in the past and wanted to have a dog a little bigger than her. I also didn't want a puppy since they can more easily find homes, but I wanted a fairly young dog that was still active and I could still see it mature. I looked at tons of photos and read many stories, but I just fell in love with Ruby when I saw her photo. She was so unique looking... and so beautiful! I knew she was the one :D So we drove way out to her shelter to meet her. She was perfect :D

ParNone
04-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Murph was the bounciest most playful puppy in the litter, probably
not the best criteria to use, when choosing a terrier pup. As I was
soon to discover when I got him home and he turned out to be a
dog in perpetual motion. After he mellowed out a lil', he turned
out to a real sweetheart of dog.

I fell in love with Maddie the moment I saw her. She was very
mellow for a terrier, but still seemed very inquisitive and so
lovable. She came right up to me and crawled into my lap. I
was a goner then and still am. She's the most spoiled of my
three dogs and she takes full advantage of it.

I really never much cared for the look of Collies, due to their
long nose, so I always dismissed them from consideration.
But when I started searching breeds for a big dog to add to
the family, I decided, except for grooming requirements, not
to concern myself with looks. The two dogs that I seemed to
always keep coming back to were the Collie and the Golden.
All things being equal, I finally decided on the Collie, because I
loved the unique look of the blue merles.

So off I went in search of a puppy. Spent months surfing the
internet and finally stumbled on a really cute female blue merle
smoothie. I talked to the breeder and it turned out she was
already taken. She only had 2 puppies left. Both male. One
a Sable and White and the other a Sable Merle. She said both
were similar in personality, friendly, playful and sweet. Again
all things being equal, I picked Oz based on his spots. I didn't
realize he had blue eyes until after I'd picked him. So as fate
would have it, instead of a blue merle female, I ended up with
a sable merle male with gorgeous blue eyes. And as usual
fate was right.:)

Par...

iwuvsmypuppy
04-01-2003, 01:52 PM
well iw as looking down at the dogs in their pen>> and Isabell (to be) came and gave me kisses>> wasnt a fraidy cat NO SIR!! i loved her from then on:rolleyes: :D

primabella
04-01-2003, 02:35 PM
We chose Mickey because he was a nice, big, light puppy. His brother and him were playing and his bro was jumping all over the place acting kinda agressive. We decided to go with Mickey but it was soooo tough. When we picked him up, the breeder told us, "he's always wagging that tail. What a happy pup!"

Mickey's got a great charactar so it worked out. :)

RockyRoad
04-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Lady was jumping up on my dad and running around his feet, so he picked her.

Sally was being given away by a man in my dad's workplace. He just grabbed her out of the box.

Floppsy was given to us as a gift, so we didn't get to choose her.
:)

lizbud
04-01-2003, 06:56 PM
I picked Buddy out of his litter(10 wks old) at the local Humane
Society because all the other pups hid behind him when we
came over to check them out. Buddy just stood there and looked
me right in the eye.I picked him up & hugged him. My daughter
said he sure has" a lot of heart". How right she was. He was
my heart dog for 9 wonderful years.:)

I picked Smokey out of his litter(8 wks old) because he was a
doll baby & he was the only one who was fast asleep in the
baby pen.All the others were climbing all over him to get my
attention.They were all cute but Smokey seemed like a very
mellow personality and he is a very gentle soul.:)

micki76
04-01-2003, 08:10 PM
As many others have said, I didn't pick Chester he picked me. We went to look at his brother actually, but the breeder decided to take them both out of the pen so that I could see them interact. The dog we went to see was spastic. All over the place and into everything. Wild child. Not the dog for us we said. Chester on the other hand crawled up my body and hid in my hair at my neck and made sweet puppy noises. I was hooked. I wanted this sweet scared puppy, not the rambunctious trouble maker! Well, needless to say I was SUCKERED! Within hours of his arrival at our home, Ches became a monster!! I sure do lobe him though and I wouldn't take a million bucks for him. :)

Millie kinda chose me too. By the same tactics. You'd think I'd learn?! :rolleyes: She was at Petsmart, in her crate wagging that curly tail, so I had to take her out and hold her "just for a minute" . Yeah right. She's a great girl!

Cookiebaker
04-01-2003, 08:13 PM
We picked Malone (or should I say he picked us ;)) because out of the three pups, he was the one that played the longest. The other two zonked out, and he just wanted to be loved and played with!!

We had our heart set on a female, but he wiggled his way into our hearts sooo fast!! :eek: :)

iceyshiver21
04-01-2003, 09:11 PM
MINE picked Me :p :rolleyes:

sabies
04-01-2003, 11:42 PM
Sadie was curled in the corner of a large outdoor pound kennel so I couldn't see her, but I could tell she was cute, sweet, and scared. I asked the lady inside if I could look at her and she handed me the papers to adopt her. I was searching for weeks for a dog so I wasn't about to rush into anything but this pound seemed awful so I figured if she wasn't the right dog I'd bring her to a good shelter.

The minute she crawled out of the kennel I knew she was the dog I was looking for.

ramanth
04-02-2003, 08:30 AM
The way she looked at me.

The other dogs were so playful but Kia just sat in a corner, looked at me and thumped her tail a little bit.

There was no way I was leaving without her. :D