PDA

View Full Version : Febreze(Fabric Refresher)???

Tina
03-31-2003, 07:20 PM
I'm really starting to worry now. My mother-in-law asked me if I ever used it after BirdBird died if I used Rebreze I've used it a couple times before but not to many times. I don't use it all the time I haven't used it in over a year. I bought some after my poor BirdBird died. She told me she heard it is not good for birds I've never heard that. Then she said something again to Rob today on his way home he picked her up from work. She told him she heard it is not good for birds or cats:confused: Then Rob said something to me about it. I don't know what to think?

My mom has used Rebreze before and her cockatiel Andy is still alive and kicking. He is probably like almost 10 years now.

I don't know if I should stop using it or not?? Could someone please help me out?

Nomilynn
03-31-2003, 07:24 PM
I've used it for the filters on the top of my litter box, and it's never been a problem. I will certainly go look now at the bottle, to see if it's safe for pets.

I'm sorry for your loss!

Tina
03-31-2003, 07:41 PM
It has a ASPCA Seal Of Approval label on the back of the bottle that is why I always thought that it was safe for pets.

Tina
03-31-2003, 08:42 PM
Well I just checked out Febreze's site and this is what I found out. Here is the http://www.homemadesimple.com/febreze/usfebreze.shtml if anyone wants to check it out.

Febreze Fabric Spray has been safely used in 40 million pet-owning homes around the world.

Febreze was tested for nearly five years by scientists, doctors, safety experts, and veterinarians, and all have come to the same conclusion: Febreze is safe to use around pets. However, as birds are uniquely sensitive to some airborne household products and environmental factors, experts recommend removing the bird from the room until the product application has fully ventilated, like you would do with any household cleaning product.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), the nation's leading authority on pet safety, has investigated these rumors and issued the following statement:

"Based on a thorough review by veterinary toxicologists at The ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center, together with other outside experts, The ASPCA considers Febreze® safe in households with dogs and cats when used as directed."

Is Febreze safe to use around dogs and cats?
Yes, Febreze is safe to use around pets, including cats and dogs. Febreze is also safe to use on fabrics that come into contact with pets, such as fabric bedding and carpets. Febreze, like any cleaning product, should not be sprayed directly on a pet.

Is Febreze safe for birds?
Birds are reported to be uniquely sensitive to a number of household products and environmental factors. As you know your bird best, use your judgment when using Febreze in your home. If you ordinarily avoid using scented products around your birds, we recommend not using Febreze, or any other scented household product, around your bird

I still don't think it was a cause. I've used air fresheners and other cleaning supplies in the house and it never affected my birds. I just don't know. But since I read that if I use the stuff I'll put Feathers in another room while I clean another.

popcornbird
03-31-2003, 10:06 PM
I always heard that Febreze was dangerous to use around birds. :confused:

Here's what I found on this site: http://www.birdsandmore.com/healthWarnings.html

Whatever the cause, Birdbird's death was very tragic and I'm so very sorry for your loss. May she RIP. :(

FEBREZE

Email from Dr. Sue Chan, DVM, MPVM dated 12/6/99:

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the potential hazards of Febreze to birds. The manufacturer has made some modifications in their formulation in response to the controversy, but when I questioned the Proctor and Gamble consumer representative, they would not tell me what kind of testing had actually been done and refused to let me speak to a technical expert. The representative did say it was the FRAGRANCE, not the zinc that causes toxicity in birds.

I was told that the label has been changed to warn about use in birds, but the bottles I found on the shelf as recently as this week still do not reflect this change. I spoke at length with a Dr. Hansen from the ASPCA who told me that there may be a problem with birds and they are still collecting data---which mean that owners who have birds that die should send them the body (don't freeze it) so Dr. Branson Ritchie at the University of Georgia can do a necropsy. He did say there has been NO testing in birds to date. Thus, it is imperative that bird owners who have had birds die IMMEDIATELY call the ASPCA to find out what to do with the body.

If it is too late to do this, at least report their experiences to the ASPCA with as much detail as possible so there is a body of information on which to warrant further study if necessary. Please spread the word to other animal owners and people involved in the pet industry---veterinarians, pet shops, breeders, etc. It is important that as much information as possible is gathered so any potential danger to birds is adequately addressed as soon as possible.

Sincerely, Sue Chan, DVM, MPVM

An e-mail states: "A woman on the budgie list just lost all of her birds except one that seems to be pulling through after her husband sprayed Febreze on their sofa. She delineated the complete ordeal, even multiple calls to Procter and Gamble and her vet contacts. To ward off other disasters, the budgie list owner suggested that members get in contact with local media. (I don't see why P&G can't pull it off the shelves until they can slap a big sign on it of a bird with the international NO symbol superimposed.) If you have access to anyone who could help get the word out, please do!" Carol Woofers and Tweeters (active ingredient: Zinc Chloride--deadly to birds--confirmed by P&G employee)

2nd e-mail warning states: Hello All, I wanted to forward the following note which I got via the canary list to all of you. The new product for killing odors, Febreze, has been a big topic for some time amongst canary breeders because it kills birds. The company has been putting out disclaimers for months, but they have just entered our market in So. Calif. so we will begin to hear about it more here. In any case, it is bad for animals, children, birds, etc... Probably not wonderful for adults either since we do fall in the first category. So just a reminder to you and yours to keep it simple and just open those windows and clean those houses.

I recently heard about Febreze, there has been a warning note posted on the dogs' message board over at iVillage - apparently it can cause anything from allergic reactions to spasms to death in most animals and children, depending on the dosage they receive. I have been trying to find out if the chemical is related to whatever is in those 'baking soda carpet deodorizers' that is also so deadly to canaries - I know several people who have lost birds, even those in other rooms, after using it...

On the other side is a letter from the National Animal Poison Contol Center, but please read it carefully:

ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center
1717 S. Philo Road Suite 36
Urbana, IL 61802

Date: March 26, 1999
To: Whom It May Concern
Subject: Febreze™ Fabric Refresher

Recently there have been comments and discussions posted on the Internet suggesting that the use of Febreze™ Fabric Refresher in households is dangerous to animals. We have issued the following statement in order to help disseminate accurate information:

"Veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center are conducting an on-going investigation into claims that use of Febreze™ in the home caused the death of several pets. All information reviewed to date suggests that there is no evidence that Febreze™ represents any risk to pets when used according to label instructions. Presently, the center considers the product safe to use in households with pets. As with any cleaning product, the center recommends that birds be removed from the room until the product application has dried and the area has been ventilated.

Please call 1-800-345-4735 if you have any questions or have a pet that you suspect is experiencing problems or visit us at http://www.napcc.aspca.org." Please photocopy this letter or download our statement from our web site and pass the correct information on to other friends of animals.

Sincerely, Steven R. Hansen, DVM, MS
Diplomate American Board of Veterinary Toxicology
Senior Vice President

You may also view another letter at their website listed above dated April 16th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04-01-2003, 05:39 AM
I have never used this product, but I read about it and saw commercials. Is this product really working fine? I mean, does it take away odors like cigarette-smoke? We woth don't smoke here, but sometimes, after friends have left, my curtains smell terrible...:( :eek: ;

moosmom
04-01-2003, 05:54 AM
I don't use Fabreze either. My cat Mollie Rose has kitty asthma and don't want to exascerbate it. I do use a product called Nok-Out. It is specially made for pets. It gets out all odors (including kitty pee and spraying) both in the air and in fabrics, furniture, carpeting, etc.

BTW Naomi,

I've used it for the filters on the top of my litter box

Great idea!

Cataholic
04-01-2003, 08:24 AM
I think birdie birds are so sensitive to things, esp. due to their tiny stature, that avoiding the use of harsh cleansers is just a good idea- probably beyond necessary, but, a good idea.

Tina
04-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Popcornbird thankyou for all of the info. and the website. I never knew about some of these products hurting birds now I really wonder. I feel so bad not researching these products now.

No one told me hardly anything when I got BirdBird. My husband just brought BirdBird from his mom's about 3 years ago and said here. She didn't even try to help me. Heck she didn't even warn me about Febreze until after she died. No I'm not blaming it on here. I'm blamning it on myself for not doing research.

I'm going to get rid of the Febreze then. I hate to think that's what happened to my poor bird. But it may have. Or it could have been some of the other stuff listed. I've used the Carpet Fresh before. Ugh...I'm just so confused.

Thanks again for the info. Popcornbird I'll put the one page in my favorites.

popcornbird
04-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Its a shame that they don't put warnings on products. Teflon pans, self cleaning ovens, scented candles, chemicals, perfumes, teflon irons, etc. have claimed the lives of so many poor birds only because of the manufacturer's not putting a warning on the box/package. The average bird owner does not know these things, and it takes extensive research to find out. We don't use febreze and never did, but we also stopped using perfumes and chemicals around the birds since we got them, because Muffin is highly allergic to any scented things. Birds are the 3rd most common pets in the US and the world, so its a big shame they don't put warnings on dangerous projucts and put the beloved pets of so many on risk. I would never have remembered febreze was considered dangerous around birds, but when you mentioned it, I remembered I read something about it sometime back. I'm so very sorry for your loss, but if this was the cause of sweet Birdbird's death, she may have saved the lives of many others. Rest in peace sweet Birdbird. We'll miss you. :(

iceyshiver21
04-01-2003, 12:50 PM
I'd call the company.