PDA

View Full Version : This news is very heartbreaking and sad

petsbestern
03-31-2003, 06:09 PM
Poor innocent women and children. :( Its so sad that such things have to happen. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/31/sprj.irq.van.shooting/index.html

catland
03-31-2003, 06:21 PM
It is tragic. War is hell. But I really can't blame the soldiers after the recent suicide bombing attacks.:(

tatsxxx11
03-31-2003, 06:40 PM
And the 4 marines that were shot and killed as they approached "civilians," dressed in regular clothing, waving a white flag, then brandishing rifles. Now, all approaching innocent civilians will be viewed as potential assasins.:(:( I hope pray that none other suffer this tragic fate. My heart breaks for them and their families.

Logan
03-31-2003, 07:20 PM
DOHA, Qatar (CNN) -- U.S. soldiers fired on a van carrying 13 women and children when it failed to stop at a military checkpoint in southern Iraq, killing seven people and wounding two others, U.S. Central Command said Monday in a written statement.

--motioned for an approaching van to stop, but were ignored by the driver, the statement said.

The soldiers fired warning shots into the air which also were ignored and then shot at the vehicle's engine, "but it continued moving toward the checkpoint," the statement said.

Soldiers were unable to see into the van, a spokesman for Central Command said.

I quoted all of the above directly from the article. This is sad, but the saddest part to me is that they could have so easily been saved if they had just done what they were instructed to do. I feel bad for all involved, including the soldiers who will have to live with this forever. It is obviously not the scenario they would have liked.

petsbestern
03-31-2003, 08:32 PM
I fail to understand why they shot the whole bus when they could've easily shot the tires to make it stop. This was SUCH an unneccessary loss of innocent life.

tatsxxx11
03-31-2003, 08:36 PM
They shot into the engine and yet the driver would not stop. 1 person left unscatheed and another not seriously injured. I'm sure they will be investigating the circumstances.

Soledad
03-31-2003, 08:39 PM
The soldiers can't really afford to take chances after the car bomb incident. They gave the drivers plenty of chances. I'm sure they didn't relish the opportunity.:(

Karen
03-31-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by petsbestern
I fail to understand why they shot the whole bus when they could've easily shot the tires to make it stop. This was SUCH an unneccessary loss of innocent life.

They TRIED shooting into the vehicle first to make it stop. Shooting the tires will not stop a vehicle (okay, maybe in the movies this works, but not in real life). Especially in a vehicle moving toward you, when most vehicles are rear-wheel drive, and you cannot see, never mind shoot, the tires. A vehicle can continue forward on flat tires perfectly well, it will ruin the rims, yes, but it can still move forward at a pretty good speed.

kingrattus
04-01-2003, 02:14 AM
Well said Karen :)

I see nothing wrong with what the soldiers did. The van could have been carring explosives & guns & harmed so many USA men. Remember anyone can pull a trigger, even a young child.

RubyB
04-02-2003, 11:47 AM
It wasn't there fault and they were just doing there job