PDA

View Full Version : something for the left....

RICHARD
03-31-2003, 04:48 PM
is it ANTIWAR when this prof wants to see 18,000,000
(18 x 1,000,000) americans killed????

just a bit of fodder for discussion..........

NEW YORK (AP) -- A Columbia University professor told an anti-war gathering that he would like to see "a million Mogadishus" -- referring to the 1993 ambush in Somalia that killed 18 American servicemen.

At Wednesday night's "teach-in" on the Columbia campus, Nicholas De Genova also called for the defeat of U.S. forces in Iraq and said, "The only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military." And he asserted that Americans who call themselves "patriots" are white supremacists.

De Genova's comments about defeating the United States in Iraq were cheered by the crowd of 3,000, Newsday reported. But his mention of the Somali ambush -- "I personally would like to see a million Mogadishus" -- was largely met with silence.

A call Friday to De Genova, 35, an assistant professor of anthropology, was answered with a recording that said his voice mailbox was full.

The university said in a statement that De Genova "was speaking as an individual at a teach-in. He was exercising his right to free speech. His statement does not in any way represent the views of Columbia University."

History professor Eric Foner, who helped organize the teach-in and spoke after De Genova, said Friday, "I disagreed strongly and I said so. If I had known what he was going to say I would have been reluctant to have him speak."

He said De Genova was a last-minute invitee, was just one of about 25 speakers and "did not represent the general tone of the event, which was highly educational."

KYS
03-31-2003, 05:19 PM
RICHARD,

I read about this.
What is so scary that this Professor
is able to teach at all, and especially
at a prestigious University.
I can only hope that the Alumni's
who donate $$$$ to this University will
pressure the University to have him removed.

(oh I forgot! Freedom of Speach.)

Karen
03-31-2003, 05:22 PM
If he has the Freedom of Speech to say it, then we have the Freedom of Speech to disagree! :) :P

Soledad
03-31-2003, 05:23 PM
The fact that his comments were met with silence and many complained afterwards should be of some comfort to you.

This is not leftism. I could track down some quotes about how Iraq was going to be a "cake walk" by a government advisor, but I don't see how that's representative of EVERYONE.

babolaypo65
03-31-2003, 05:39 PM
I'm about as liberal as they come. This certainly doesn't represent me. (nor am i suggesting you indicated that it did).

Again, I believe that this guy, like everyone else, should use care, and wisdom when speaking out at this time.

ps. I'm an assistant professor too. University professors have academic freedom, with it comes responsibilities. Apparently this fellow doesn't quite understand that.

mugsy
03-31-2003, 05:46 PM
Not the brightest bulb in the pack I'd say. Ahhh the beauty of freedom of speech. Funny how people don't want to take the responsibility that goes along with that right.

RICHARD
03-31-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
I'm about as liberal as they come. This certainly doesn't represent me. (nor am i suggesting you indicated that it did).

Again, I believe that this guy, like everyone else, should use care, and wisdom when speaking out at this time.

ps. I'm an assistant professor too. University professors have academic freedom, with it comes responsibilities. Apparently this fellow doesn't quite understand that.

thanks for seeing where i come from......
as you say, there is a responsibility that comes w/freedom of speech.

and for another point of view

http://assyrianchristians.com/i_was_wrong_mar_26_03.htm

pretty strong stuff, especially for the people who THINK they know what is the best for the people of Iraq.

RICHARD
04-01-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD

http://assyrianchristians.com/i_was_wrong_mar_26_03.htm

pretty strong stuff, especially for the people who THINK they know what is the best for the people of Iraq.

I am sorry,

i did not mean to deflate the arguement for NOT having a war...

what do you say to people who are willing to have a war in their backyard???

pretty noble to risk your life becoming a human shield....but even more nobler to risk taking out those interviews out of Iraq.

and for the record, where are the 'hundreds of thousands of women and children who would be killed in the bombings??'

now instead of protesting maybe some of these jokers will
take the time to address the problems in their own back yard (think globally, act locally!) that they want to pass off to the government......

no, i think it would be too hard to use the money for gas, placards and effort to help a cause in your area.....
i mean it's easier to worry about things that happen far away, isn't it????

and lastly,

when the servicemen come home organize a little antiwar protest at the end of the parade we have for them.....
i am sure they would like to speak with all of you, face to face....

jeez, almost fell off the soapbox......

hugs and kisses, dissenters!

Dakota's Mommy
04-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Yes, kind of ironic that he is saying that soldiers who fight to give him the right to make a statement like that in America should be killed for working to give that right to other people! In my opinion, that's very ironic!