PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Claws

PetCrzyChk889
03-31-2003, 10:53 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on how to trim a dwarf hamsters claws? I have a 1 year old hammie and her claws are so long her feet get tangled in them, and I feel sorry for her, but I have no idea how to trim her nails. Can anyone help???????

Thanks!!!!!
From,
:confused:

iwuvsmypuppy
03-31-2003, 11:54 AM
hi welcome to PT!!!:D i guess your could use fingernail clippers, i dont really know but someone out here does im sure!!!!:rolleyes:

shellonabeach
03-31-2003, 01:43 PM
It is really tricky and you have to be careful not to cut too short and get the quick. They also move their feet and refuse to sit still.

It is best that you get the vet to do it, ask them to show you what to do. I use human nail scissors to do mine although I hate doing it.

There is a great risk that you can harm the ham so I wouldn't try it yourself this first time but they do need doing, they will be uncomfortable and can stop the hamster picking up food to eat.

Sarah

Desert Arabian
03-31-2003, 02:52 PM
I would not use a nail clippers, the claws are so small. What I would do is get some extra course sandpaper and rub it against the claws...like a nail file.

That's what I would do personally. :)

shellonabeach
03-31-2003, 02:55 PM
YLL,

dwarf hamsters nails are too tiny and fine to rub with a nail file (trust me I tried it!!)

Putting sandpaper in the wheel/tubes is also not a good idea as it can make the hamsters feet very sore and I have read that the glue if eaten in large enough amounts can be toxic.

Sarah

Desert Arabian
03-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by shellonabeach
Putting sandpaper in the wheel/tubes is also not a good idea as it can make the hamsters feet very sore and I have read that the glue if eaten in large enough amounts can be toxic.

Who the heck would do that in the first place? :confused: It's common sence. ::chuckle::

shellonabeach
03-31-2003, 03:41 PM
"who the heck would do that" (sorry YLL I read it wrong, have edited accordingly)

As a moderator on a hamster board I have seen that all too often as a response for someone who wants to trim their nails!!

Sarah

Desert Arabian
03-31-2003, 04:22 PM
I see.

By the way, please do not quote my posts using words I didn't use. Thanks! :cool:

Desert Arabian
03-31-2003, 06:36 PM
Oh, and I didn't say use a nail file, I said use coarse sandpaper. FYI.

shellonabeach
03-31-2003, 06:47 PM
I'm sorry if I have upset you YLL in some way I never meant to,

I read what you said about the sand paper - it is impossible dwarf hamsters nails are far too fine, with sand paper or a nail file the foot will get bent and the toes wiggled about. The only thing that will happen is the hamster will get hurt.

I will say that my friend does her rats nails with a nail file just fine, but their nails are so much thicker.

Sarah

Desert Arabian
03-31-2003, 06:56 PM
It's ok, didn't mean for the posts to have a rude tone.

iwuvsmypuppy
04-01-2003, 09:09 PM
i let my doggie do her own trimming( i know a dog isnt a dwarf hammy but..) i let her walk on concrete >> and plz dont say anything about that shellonabeach or YLL cuz the only hammy i ever had died after a month okay?:p ;) :D