PDA

View Full Version : Picking Your Dog's Name

jackiesdaisy1935
03-31-2003, 09:10 AM
I don't know if this has been on here for a while, but I'm wondering how you came about choosing your dog's name? There are a lot of new members, so just curious?
Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

Daisy was named after the charactor in the movie "Driving Miss Daisy" and she is just as independent.

Perry whose real name is "Dom Perignon" was named after the famous french Champagne by his breeder, we just shorten it to Perry.

micki76
03-31-2003, 09:21 AM
Chester (on the right) was named after the spastic little dog in the cartoon with Spike and Chester. Remember it? Chester is all over Spike and wants to be his best friend. He idolizes Spike.

Millie already had her name and knew it so well we decided not to change it.

And I think they sound like a wonderful little old couple. Chester and Millie. :)

wolf_Q
03-31-2003, 09:23 AM
We got Smokey when I was 2...the children of the family named him....go figure...:rolleyes:

For Reggie, I think it was just a name my brother suggested, and we all (except for my mom) liked it. I was a little kid still, and I wanted to name him Lucky....go figure again...lol :rolleyes: That's why I'd never let a kid name a dog hehe.

Nebo is named after a gorgeous mountain in Utah, Mt. Nebo. I believe it's also something in the bible. I just thought it would be a cute and unique name. When I tell people around here his name they think I'm nuts.

RubyMutt
03-31-2003, 09:29 AM
I got Ruby from the HS and she already had the name :D

My fromer pup, Muffy, RIP (I got her when I was 3) we named after a mouse character from one of my favorite tv shows at the time. I think it was called 'Today's Special'... :)

ParNone
03-31-2003, 10:20 AM
McMurphy was named for the lead character in the tv
show, China Beach. Colleen McMurphy was a real feisty character
and I thought the name fit perfectly for a terrier breed from
Scotland.

Madison was named after the mermaid in the movie,
Splash. And it's somewhat of a first class sounding name and that
fits Maddie's personality to a tee. She's definitely an Uptown
Girl.

Whizzer of Oz was named of course after the movie,
Wizard of Oz. I love my lil' Toto dogs so much and when I
decided to add a Collie to the family, I wanted some kind of
connection between them. To kind of help along the karmic
influences that they'd all get along, I thought what better
way to start off, than in a name.

Par...

KYS
03-31-2003, 10:55 AM
Sheba, was named after my Aunt's GSD that passed away.

Rocky, I named after my Uncle. My Uncles nick name is Rocky.

Mike named Pepper, because he though she looked like
she had sprinkles of Pepper on her when she was a puppy. :)

Tina
03-31-2003, 11:01 AM
Ginger- is named after gingerbread. Cause I thought she looked like the color of gingerbread.

Oscar- is named after the character Oscar from Sesame Street. I thought he looked a little like him cause of his eye brows.

Ruff- well he was already named when my hubby Rob got him.

ellensy
03-31-2003, 11:22 AM
Beethoven - from the movie 'beethoven'.... i hav a fixation for saints hhehe

Crunch- from the candy bar Nestle 'crunch'

Nestle - well from the chocolate bar Nestle :D

tikeyas_mom
03-31-2003, 11:44 AM
I was walking down the street with my puppy (siberian husky) and she was 5 weeks old. And I saw this lady with a brand new baby, I asked her what her babies name was, she said "dickeya, it means leader of the wolf pack in inuit" I said "can I name my puppy after your baby?" she said "yes" .. So I rushed home and told my mom The new name, I tryed to remeber but I couldent, The closest thing to Dickeya I could remeber was Tikeya, lol thats my story :D

Crikit
03-31-2003, 11:57 AM
Well Smudge already had his name when I got him and it seemed to really suit him, because he's a Smudge of this and a Smudge of that.

Winter also had her name, when I got her. She was named because she was born in the winter...actually she was born in fall but hey the people who had her before I got her weren't that smart. But the name really suits her, because at times she can be a bit flaky.

and Tama got his name partially from an anime that I like to watch called Fushigi Yugi, he's sort of name after my fave character named Tamahome, but I decided to change it a bit and called him Tamashii which means soul or spirit in Japanese.

Kfamr
03-31-2003, 01:54 PM
One day when i was really sick... my dad came home from the story with the movie "The Lion King" I loved the movie not only becaise it's great but it was special since my daddy bought it. [I was a daddy's girl] I love the movie, both 1 and 2. Simba is named after the main charactor in the movie and Nala is named after Simba's girlfriend. I wanted to name Nala, Kiara, Simb'as daughter in the second movie since she's younger than Simba but my dad didn't like it because it's not easier to say. He still calls Nala "knarla" lol...:rolleyes:

iwuvsmypuppy
03-31-2003, 01:57 PM
well our first dog we had before i was born soo.. well her name was Tippy cuz her tail and paws had a white tip

Barkley was named B4 me too, my brother name her that cuz of the dog on Sesme Street lol

Sandy was named after the beautiful color of her fur

Katrina (hampster) was named after the girl in "legend of Sleepy Hollow" hey we watched te moviethe day i got her and it ws the first thing i thot of!!:rolleyes: :p

Isabell- i really dont know where i got that but that was my dream dogs name(Carter if it was a boy) and well Isabell was and still is my dream dog only now she lives in my dreams instead of in her dog house :(

primabella
03-31-2003, 02:49 PM
We were about to name Mickey Simba because we all like the name and because collie and shelties have that mane like a lion, but we went to Mickey because...I dunno. It was cute and simple and just suits him. Plus, I like Mickey Mouse so it all works out ;) My grandfather calls him "Micheale" lol :rolleyes:

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-31-2003, 03:43 PM
Drake is named after Sir Francis Drake, the first explorer to circumnavigate the world.

Cincy'sMom
03-31-2003, 03:57 PM
Before we saw Sadie, we knew she was mostly black with some white. I was thinking Panda. ralph liked Sadie. when we first saw her, sadie seemed to fit her better. knowing now that Sadie means Princess, I know it does!!

Cincy was named after the University of Cincinnati where ralph and I both went to college and met.

Spot came with his name. He was named by the little girl in the family that had him before. we thought about changing it, but it fits so well and is such a classic!

Demigodess
03-31-2003, 04:01 PM
My puppy Atlas' full name is Eclipse's Strength of Atlas.

I had to pick a name that was a star or constellation, which was the theme for the litter. Atlas is a star or constellation (I forget which). I picked it because I love the Ayn Rand book "Atlas Shrugged" and I love the mythological story of Atlas.

Also, I believe you should name a dog what you want him to be, and I wanted him to be strong and trustworthy. (AND he is!!)

ParNone
03-31-2003, 04:06 PM
cincy's mom writes:

Before we saw Sadie, we knew she was mostly black with some white. I was thinking Panda. ralph liked Sadie. when we first saw her, sadie seemed to fit her better. knowing now that Sadie means Princess, I know it does!!
Whenever I hear the name, Sadie, I always think of "Sadie,
Sadie, married lady" from Funny Girl. :)

Par...

Cincy'sMom
03-31-2003, 05:32 PM
I had never seen Funny Girl, but a local HS is doing that for thier musical this weekend. I'm interested to see what the "Sadie" character is like!

babolaypo65
03-31-2003, 05:44 PM
Owen Meany (Owen for short) is named after my favorite character from the john irving novel "A Prayer for Owen Meany". The character is small, but determined, and full of personality.
plus it just sounds scottish, and owens a scotty!

RockyRoad
03-31-2003, 06:04 PM
Lady was named because she is a lady, and that name had always seemed pretty. My dad chose it though.

Sally was named after my mom's best friend Sally. In return, she named her cat Ali after my mom.

Floppsy was the only pet named by me. She's a Lop Rabbit, and her ears of course were floppy. Since my grandpa had always read me 'Peter Cottontail' when I was young, I thought of that name.

Mooka was named by Kater on Pet Talk when I asked for name suggestions.

Popcorn was named because of Popcornbird's Popcorn. I thought of that name because Popcornbird had always been nice to me, and because I liked that name.

Bubbles' name was suggested by Heather Wallace when I asked for name suggestions.

Aqua's name was suggested by Popcornbird, and I liked it bcause it had to do with water.

Ocean's name was as well suggested by Popcornbird, and I liked that as well because Aqua & Ocean were bought together, and they each had names resembling water.

Norm was named because of Norm Peterson on my favorite show, Cheers. I named him Norm because he reminded me of him.

:)

RogueFerret
03-31-2003, 06:36 PM
Well... you asked for it! LOL!:D

We found my dog in my mom's dog house. I took her home and kept her for my own when I found out that she had been abandoned.:( All this happened on Valentine's day, so I named her Valentine.:)

I have an X-Men theme going on with the ferrets. It started with my first ferret Gambit(RB). So, when I got my next ferret, I named him Wolverine. Badger is not an X-Man, but he looked so much like a badger that I had to name him that. Then, I got Rogue, then Xaiver.

I named my one cat Pandora because I loved the name. I named Panther because he's a black kitty, and Natasha because I think she looks like Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle.

And I named my turtle Mr.Turtle, how origianal.:rolleyes:

wolfsoul
03-31-2003, 06:58 PM
Leather was named because my dad and stepmom wanted a really cool and unique name that no other dog had..So a friend suggested Leather, and that's what she is :D Of course, most people ask if it's because she likes to chew on leather :rolleyes: No, it's not...
Timber isn't even what I wanted to name her...I wanted to name her Sable, but my aunt was the one who bought her, so she was the one who got to pick the name. They went through several names, until finally she decided on Timber because she thought she looked like a rough and tumble bush dog :rolleyes: Oh well, it's better than the other name she wanted...she wanted to name her Kiki! :eek: That's a little dog name! The names I chose for her were Sable, Sadie, Sage, Nakita, Akela, and Shelby, but Nooo of course not :rolleyes:
Samuri was named after my dad's car, a samuri suzuki...He's just a little obsessed :rolleyes:

captain
04-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Captain
We wanted an original name (duh!), and hubbie refused to try and pick a name before we got him, so Puppy it was until one day he suggested we call him Jim Beam - I said NO WAY, we don't even drink the stuff :rolleyes:
I said, you drink Captain Morgan ......... and so he became "Captain". Suits him down to the ground.

Ruby
Unimaginative, but as you may know, Dalmatians are born white and my breeder places different colour wool around their necks so he can weigh them, and keep track of them until they develop their spots. Ruby had "scarlet/red" wool, so I just worked on that - PLUS she was born in July, and the birth stone for July is a ... RUBY!

P.S. Funnily enough, Captain also had red wool around his neck when he was with his litter mates :eek:

Pam
04-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Bella was named by my husband. I asked him to think of a name because I had named all of our other dogs and the kids had named the cats. The night I brought her home he wrote down 3-4 names on a piece of paper. When I saw the name Bella I knew that was the one. I hadn't been a Pet Talker for long but there was a post about a dog named Bella who was also a poodle and had been attacked by 2 or 3 large dogs and was paralyzed. I was riveted to that thread. That Bella eventually died. :( I couldn't believe my husband picked out that name because, although he knew about the sick little poodle on Pet Talk, I had never told him the name. Later on we found out from some Italian friends that Bella means beautiful in Italian and she certainly is. :)

Ripley was one of the other names on my husband's original list. I thought it sounded too masculine for a girl so I didn't even consider it, even though he reminded me that Ripley had been a woman character in the movie Alien. Anyway I tucked it aside in my mind in case I ever got a male dog because I really did like the name. It turns out that when Ripley came along he just looked like a Ripley to me! :)

captain
04-01-2003, 05:18 PM
Pam

Your dogs suit their names down to the ground!!!

Pam
04-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by captain
Pam

Your dogs suit their names down to the ground!!!

Thank you. :)

Dog_Expert
04-01-2003, 05:26 PM
i like any kind of dog, but i am adopting a dog and if it is a boy dog i want to name it brad,and if it is a girl i will name it jindy.:D

ParNone
04-01-2003, 05:50 PM
cincy's mom writes:

I had never seen Funny Girl, but a local HS is doing that for thier musical this weekend. I'm interested to see what the "Sadie" character is like!
I don't think they actually show the character, at least I don't
remember them doing so, but it's been awhile since I've seen
the movie. "Sadie, Sadie Married Lady" is one of the
songs Barbra Streisand sings in the movie.

Par...

Jessica12345
04-01-2003, 05:54 PM
mm... well we werent very creative with our names so no story there!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i do love to read these though!:)

Cisco's Mom
04-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Well, Cisco's name came from an old tv show called," Cisco the Kid". I use to watch it alot when I was young. Also, I thought it was appropriate for a chi,chi.
;)

Cookiebaker
04-01-2003, 08:00 PM
What a great thread, Jackie'sdaisy!! :)

Malone got his name from a country music song by David Ball "Private Malone". One of the lines of the chorus is "You'll always be riding with Private Malone" and we thought that that would be very true, since we planned on taking him everywhere with us. ;) Also, at the same time, we were reading a novel that took place in Malone, NY...we both were enjoying the book very much (I don't remember which one now lol) but that was part of it too.