PDA

View Full Version : Rat nails

Aspen and Misty
03-30-2003, 09:27 PM
How often should I clip my rats nails? I always get red scratches all over me from there nails but they have been rpretty bad latly and I think they need clipped but I don't know how to tell if they need clipped??

Any help is welcome!

Ash

wolfsoul
03-30-2003, 11:32 PM
I think it depends on how fast your rat's nail grow...I don't have to cut Frisco's, because they are always short, but I usually cut Icarus's about 5 times a week! :eek: His nails are killers!

CathyBogart
03-30-2003, 11:37 PM
I use an emory board on the girls' nails every few nights. I've only ever had one rat big enough that I felt confident clipping his nails.

wolfsoul
03-30-2003, 11:40 PM
When I first got Frisco, he was young and so his nails were longer in proportion to his toes, and I would try to use an emory board, but it was too difficult for me...His toe would bend back and forth and I felt like it was going to break off lol :rolleyes:

Aspen and Misty
03-31-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanx! If a emry board like finger nail filer??? Does it work?

Thanx a bunch!!

Ash

luckies4me
03-31-2003, 11:19 AM
I clip nails every week. I don't use baby cippers because they are not as sharp and can pull the nails. I have never had problems administering meds, clipping nails, baths or teeth. I start all that with my babies at around 4 weeks, nails earlier.

One of my bucks Bandit never needs his nails cut, he chews them pretty reguarly. The girls though, let me tell you, they can be like razors!:eek:

One thing you can try is adding a brick in the cage so that it can file their nails, it works pretty well. :)

Aspen and Misty
03-31-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me

One thing you can try is adding a brick in the cage so that it can file their nails, it works pretty well. :)

I got so deprete I put 3 bricks in there :D I might be addign more soon to! I've never clipped my rats nails, but I would like it done, I just need to figure out which was is best and Hope's nails are so long I can't hold her for long periods of time or she will scratch me all over, they hurt so bad. I have scratches all over me.

Thanx everyone!

Ash

Desert Arabian
03-31-2003, 03:00 PM
To tell you the truth...I have never had to cut the ratties nails. They get worn down really good when they run around outside the cage.

Of course, I do trim the teeth...OI! Won't go there. hehehehe. Let's just say takes 60min/rat.

Aspen and Misty
03-31-2003, 07:39 PM
i've never trimmed my rats teeth. How do you know when they need to be trimmed?

Ash

Desert Arabian
03-31-2003, 08:21 PM
WOAH! A&M- You have never trimmed your rats teeth!!!! That's bad! Those teeth are constantly growing. My rats tell me when they need their teeth trimmed, it hurts them when they get to long (sorry guys, but they grow so darn fast!).

It is a pain the the rear trying to trim their teeth, but it needs to be done. If they don't get trimmed they eventually won't be able to eat, and the teeth will slowly start to curve along the roof of the mouth, back towards the throat.

Aspen and Misty
03-31-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
WOAH! A&M- You have never trimmed your rats teeth!!!! That's bad! Those teeth are constantly growing. My rats tell me when they need their teeth trimmed, it hurts them when they get to long (sorry guys, but they grow so darn fast!).

It is a pain the the rear trying to trim their teeth, but it needs to be done. If they don't get trimmed they eventually won't be able to eat, and the teeth will slowly start to curve along the roof of the mouth, back towards the throat.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I think I need to go do some teeth trimming!!!! What do I trim them with??

Ash

luckies4me
03-31-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I think I need to go do some teeth trimming!!!! What do I trim them with??

Ash

You don't want to trim them if you don't have to. Chances are if they get a lot of hard blocks/food their teeth should be fine. I only trim my older does teeth because they eat more mushy type foods rather than blocks etc. To keep their teeth worn down they need to have things to chew on, like wooden parrot toys, lab blocks etc.

I just use nail clippers, it's fairly easy but care needs to be taken to make sure you don't get a piece of their tongue or what not.

I just started trimming teeth not to long ago and the rats I have had have never had problems, so I am sure yours are fine. ;)

Aspen and Misty
03-31-2003, 09:05 PM
You don't want to trim them if you don't have to. Chances are if they get a lot of hard blocks/food their teeth should be fine. I only trim my older does teeth because they eat more mushy type foods rather than blocks etc. To keep their teeth worn down they need to have things to chew on, like wooden parrot toys, lab blocks etc.

I just use nail clippers, it's fairly easy but care needs to be taken to make sure you don't get a piece of their tongue or what not.

I just started trimming teeth not to long ago and the rats I have had have never had problems, so I am sure yours are fine. ;)

:D Thanx. I just checked and no ones teeth look to long :confused: so I didn't trim them. They were shorter then I thought they would be acctaully! LOL. So I'm not gonna trim, I see no need. They have lots of toys in there to chew so I'm not to worried, although I will try to check just to make sure there are no problems.

Thanx!

Ash :D

luckies4me
03-31-2003, 09:07 PM
Your welcome. ;)

My ratties are on the computer eating chicken and pasta hehe. :p

Aspen and Misty
03-31-2003, 09:52 PM
Your welcome. ;)

My ratties are on the computer eating chicken and pasta hehe. :p

LOL I havn't given my rats pasta in forever! I bet they would love to have some :D Thanx for reminding me. Hey I was wondering how many rats do you have?

Ash

wolfsoul
03-31-2003, 11:14 PM
I hope I never have to do any teeth trimming! :D I give the rats a rawhide chip every night...they are pretty big, so I'm sure their jaws get a workout! :) I just hope they don't make them fat lol

luckies4me
04-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
LOL I havn't given my rats pasta in forever! I bet they would love to have some :D Thanx for reminding me. Hey I was wondering how many rats do you have?

Ash

Plenty lol. After my next two I will be linebreeding and I won't need any more outcrosses. Some of my girls are getting up there in age so they will be retired soon. ;)

lv4dogs
04-01-2003, 11:43 AM
I give my rats plenty of time out of the cage so the nails are kept fairly short. Plus they have a huge 4 1/2 story cage that has plenty of room to run in and on one of the floors is kind of like slate/rock which trims the nails. I used to trim the nails & I just use cat nail trimmers and most rats have clear nails so you can see where the quick is. I also give rawhide to my rats as well as lab blocks, wood blocks, raw pasta, dog kibble & milkbones. It seems to keep their teeth short. They eat lots of hard foods too. Should you ever feel uneasy about clipping nails/teeth have your vet show you how.