PDA

View Full Version : moving an outside cat o another house?!?!

lute
03-29-2003, 01:59 PM
i am moving in a week. i have an outside cat. male unfixed. i am afraid that when we move he will run away trying to go back home. will he,and what can i do to make him stay. i was going to put him in a garage or shed,but there isn't one there. i cannot take him inside my parents are highly allergic. what do i do??? i don't want to lose him. he is my baby. i have a crate,cut it is too small for him to stay in for a long peirod of time.

i need to know something soon or i have to find another home for him. only beacuse i don't want him to run away and get lost,hit,or eaten.

please answer ASAP!!!

Nomilynn
03-29-2003, 03:44 PM
you have an outdoor unaltered male cat????? :mad: :mad: :mad: That is really really irresponsible. You need to catch your cat, and get him neutered. Then, while he is recovering, he can get used to being in the house. Then, keep him indoors!!! If you are so scared he will run away or get hit, don't give him the opportunity. Yes, he will complain but he will get over it. We have successfully made several outdoor cats indoor only and as long as there is adequate stimulation (ie window perches, cat trees, toys) can't don't need to be outside. Also, if he wants to be outside leash train him, and then you can be outside with him.

But above all.. get him fixed!! I don't even want to think about all the kitten's he's probably already fathered this season :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

EDIT: I didn't see the part about your parents being allergic; truth be told, maybe you shouldn't have a cat if you can't keep him indoors with the family. If you parents are allergic, it's not anyone's fault, it's just the way it is. But if you do decide to keep him, he will have to be kept indoors for at LEAST two weeks to learn that your new home is where you are staying. I would even recommend a month.

lute
03-29-2003, 04:36 PM
i am working on getting him fixed.i call all these places and they just tell me that i will have to be on a waiting list until summer. i do not know if i will be able to keep him inside,it's a new house,and my parents don't really want to bring him inside. he used to be inside,but that only went on for about 1 month. then my parents couldn't breath. i had to put him back out.

do you really think it would be a good idea to get him another home???:(

Nomilynn
03-29-2003, 04:40 PM
I find it really really weird that there is a waiting list to have a cat neutered. It's only takes a day and it's so routine.. are you specifically calling low cost places?

As for another home, if you are afraid that he's going to run away, wouldn't you rather know where he ends up? You are right to be concerned that he might try to find your old house. Have you thought about an outdoor pen? Does your new home have a backyard? I know there are a few people on here that have an outdoor pen for their kitties to play in in the summers or if they are involved in rescue. If you did it that way, you could make sure he's not partaking in the nightlife, if you know what I mean, and he would be safe. Would you parents let you build something like that?

lute
03-29-2003, 07:56 PM
ya i'm pretty sure they would let me build a pin. i will do that.

i have just been calling low cost places.
thanks.

Nomilynn
03-29-2003, 09:20 PM
I did a search on the internet and there are quite a few interesting enclosures. Do a search with a search engine and get an idea about what kinds of neat things you can put inside and walkways and ramps. I hope it works out. Good luck! :)

lute
03-29-2003, 10:53 PM
ok thanks for all your help

Logan
03-29-2003, 11:01 PM
I moved recently. I have two indoor/outdoor kitties. I kept them inside for a while and at first, I supervised their outdoor visits, just to be sure they were ok. Things have progressed very smoothly, and the best thing is that I have found that Mimi and Butter really prefer to stay indoors most of the time. Thank goodness!! :) Butter was the one I worried about the most as he was a stray that showed up at my old house. I was concerned that he would try and go back. But he has it too good here, I guess, because he has stuck very close to home.

I think the advice you have gotten is great and right on the money as for what you need to do. Both of mine have been neutered (as soon as they could be). I truly do believe it makes a difference. Put your money aside and get it done as quickly as you can!!

Logan