PDA

View Full Version : Cheeko and Spanky molting??

tikeyas_mom
03-28-2003, 08:54 PM
My birds hae never molted, at least
I have never seen them molt, what does it look like? they loose feathers right? mine have never had this happin. is there somthing wronge with them? Thanks

popcornbird
03-28-2003, 08:59 PM
If they've never molted something's wrong with them. That's abnormal. You probably never noticed before, but it is molting season right now. My birds just finished, others are just starting. They're supposed to lose their old feathers and get new beautiful, soft and fluffy ones. :p

Tweety_Pie
03-28-2003, 09:01 PM
My Budgie Tweety is molting to.

tikeyas_mom
03-28-2003, 09:15 PM
I wonder why mine arnt?? :confused:

Porcy
03-28-2003, 09:21 PM
You don't see any feathers around.Do they preen themselves??

tikeyas_mom
03-28-2003, 10:30 PM
no feathers around just poops and seeds on the bottom of their cage. What do you mean preen them selves???

wolfsoul
03-28-2003, 10:41 PM
preening is like cleaning their feathers with their beak...not sure of the definition, but they pry at their feathers...it's really cute lol...

Hey, Jynnelle, they have a macaw at the petshop! :eek:

Logan
03-28-2003, 10:45 PM
I have had mine for over a year now (Cockatiels) and I don't notice the molt either. There is an occasional feather or two, but not often and certainly not noticable on their bodies.

popcornbird
03-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Its not supposed to be noticable on their bodies at all. They shed a couple of feathers now and then anyway all the time (like one or two), but once a year, they go through a heavy molt, which includes the shedding of their tail feathers as well as their crest. It doesn't make a difference to their appearance. You will just find long tail feathers laying around. Logan, since its only been a year, it is sometimes delayed for more than a year. Maybe you people just vacuum so much you never notice. :p

Logan
03-28-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Maybe you people just vacuum so much you never notice. :p

Not in my case! LOL!!

popcornbird
03-28-2003, 11:13 PM
LOL! :D I never really notice Muffin's feathers during the molt unless I hunt for them, because they camoflage wherever they fall. Popcorn's is all white, so its another story. They show EVERYWHERE. lol lol