PDA

View Full Version : Really off "pet" topic

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-28-2003, 08:25 PM
I went to visit my grandparents today and they totally shocked me. We were talking about birthdays and my Mamaw told me that this year she will be 73!!! :eek: and my PawPaw will be 78!! :eek: I would have swore that they were only in thier 60's. I love my grandparents sooo much. My PawPaw has had some really bad health problems from smoking though.... He had to have his left leg amputated below the knee because it wasn't getting enough blood... and his veins are really thin from smoking. I always just thought that they were not doing too hot for their age... BUT NOW... I think that they are doing real well... espically considerin my PawPaw is almost 80. Eric (my husband) has an uncle.. Uncle Ray.. that is in his early 70's.... I love him so much too (I am a sucker for older people). He was a missionary in Hondurus (sp) for many many years and he is always telling a lot of cool stories.. I thought we was the oldest wisest person in the world.... NOW... I find out my grandparents are older than him...
I know this may sound weird but ... I think it is soooooo cool that they have lived through the 20's, 30's, 40's...... all the way past the millinium to 2003!!!

:D :D :D

sammi
03-28-2003, 08:39 PM
Glad you enjoy older people. I do too! A person being in their 70's isn't so old anymore - some still have full time jobs. Maybe "older" dosen't seem so old as I am catching up:eek: LOL

Porcy
03-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Sammi, your not alone.

Logan
03-28-2003, 09:05 PM
I was just thinking, Sarah, that my parents are 68 and 71.........you're such a young thing! I think my parents are too!! My grandmother on my mother's side lived to see 94. My grandparents on my dad's side were in their mid 80's when they died. One great aunt was 102 when she died! I'm hoping for longevity!!! :)

Cincy'sMom
03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
I'm hoping I take after my mom's family....my great gransmother died 5 years ago, just shy of her 98th Bday. Both my mom's parents are still alive and doing fairly well (my grandmother just finished chemo treatments for lymphoma). My grandma will be 83 in May and my Grandpa 85 in July....and this November they will celebrate their 64th wedding anniversary!!!

A person being in their 70's isn't so old anymore - some still have full time jobs.

The President of the company I work for, still works full time and he will be 73 this July!

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-28-2003, 09:23 PM
I'm hoping I take after my mom's family....my great gransmother died 5 years ago, just shy of her 98th Bday

I just lost my great grandparents on my moms side a couple of years ago. They lived to be in their late 90's. My neice is 5 now .. but when she was a little over 1... my family went to go visit them... (which we did every year) and we took a picture and had five generations of my family in that one picture! I know it was a real treat for them to see their great great grandchild!:D

CathyBogart
03-29-2003, 01:25 AM
*grins* my great grandpa just turned 99 recently, and he still drives!

Kfamr
03-29-2003, 01:29 AM
My grandpa just turned 87, yet he's healthy as a 20 year old, or even healthier!

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-29-2003, 02:25 AM
WOW
Kayann... your grandpa just turned 87!!! *GIVE HIM A HUG FOR ME!!*

lynnestankard
03-29-2003, 03:57 AM
This is wonderful - so many old people not acting their age!!! GREAT! I hope I grow older and act my shoe size!! I'd love to be a disgraceful old woman - Yeah!!!
When my dear Mum died 2 years ago August she was 93 and as Elizabeth said - 'But my Gran is too young to die' That really touched me - Mum had only been really poorly in the last 8 weeks of her life - for that I'm so grateful. Don't get me wrong - she had loads wrong with her - at 87 she was diagnosed as having breast cancer - but they wouldn't operate because of her age - so she simply took Tamoxifen - gave the cancer a very hard talking too and carried on with her life! She had angina, so with pills that wasn't allowed to get in her way. Also she had arthritis - and that made her mad 'cos she couldn't open jars etc!! The saying here is 'She was very bloody minded' - talk about a strong lady! Unfortunately my dear old Dad died at 70 through a heart attack - still miss him today.
So all you who still have Gran's and Granpa's please give them an extra hug next time you see them.

Lynne

RICHARD
03-29-2003, 06:41 AM
think of all the history those eyes have seen......

pretty amazing times they have lived thru!

mugsy
03-29-2003, 07:46 AM
My mom is 75 and my dad is 84 and I have talked to them at length about what it was like to live through the Depression and WWII. It's truly interesting. My dad was a pilot in WWII and flew B-17s and was stationed out of Knettishall, England. He doesn't tell a lot of stories, but the ones he does are truly interesting.

lynnestankard
03-29-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
think of all the history those eyes have seen......

pretty amazing times they have lived thru!

It's amazing isn't it Richard - when I think my Mum was born in 1907 - the things she witnessed are beyond belief - just in the one area of flying - literally from nothing to space travel - always kept her glued to the TV when anything to do with space travel was on! Boy was she interested in that!!
When she was 90 we all flew over to Chicago for Diane's (daughter) wedding and Mum was like a kid - she enjoyed everything - the flight, the inflight movie and hotel in Chicago, the wedding - oh everything and seeing it all through her eyes makes me so proud she was my Mum.
I still thank God for her every day - she was one lady - in every sense of the term.

Lynne

mugsy
03-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Lynne,

You are a lucky woman to have your mother that long and to have such a great relationship. She sounds like a really intereseting woman.

On a side note, there is a woman who lives in a little town south of us that is now (I believe) 103 and still going. She takes 2 pills a day and one of them is a Centrum Silver. She taught my grandmother and great aunt in 8th grade and she still remembers them in detail. She told my mom and I a story about a guy who had a bi-plane and he landed in a field beside the school where she taught and her dad came over and met them and paid the guy to take her for a plane ride, so he did, and she went up in the plane and waved at the students as they watched from the ground!

marysmerrycats
03-29-2003, 10:13 AM
I love listening to eldery peoples stories, ones that lived thru those decades etc, but I wish I knew more of them...I wish I had talked to my grandparents more..too late now.

wolfsoul
03-29-2003, 11:15 AM
That's funny because Ashley (Chibi_star) and I were just talking about our grandparents yesterday! My Nanny (my grandma's mom) doesn't have too far to go :( She's had more than 20 strokes but only about 10 of them we even know about, because she seems to be completely oblivious to it now :eek: She has alzhiemers (sp?) as well :(
My other grandparents are still up and rarin' to go! And my great great great grandmother lived till she was 106! :D

Kfamr
03-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Grandpa Jim who turned 87 is my mom's dad. My mom's mom died even befor I was born or my sister was born [almost 23 years ago] So I never got to meet my real grandmother. But my grandpa remarried to Grandma Rose.:) I call them grandma and grandpa. The grandparents on my dad's side are in their 60's. Both smoke and my memaw was just recently in the hospital. [she's doing fine now] Papa had a minor heart attack a few years ago. He lost part of his foot, but survived. Memaw is my favorite since she loves pups as i do. Grandpa Jim loves Simba alot. Whenever he comes over He always talks to Simba and pets him. :D

wolfsoul
03-29-2003, 12:10 PM
What does everyone call their grandparents?
I have : Grandma Grey, Grandpa Philpott, Grandma Philpott, Grandma Zilkie, Papa, and Nanny. :)

lynnestankard
03-29-2003, 02:35 PM
How cool is that Mugsy? What a wonderful thing for her to look back upon. Just think is she's 103 she was born at the turn of the last century!! They made some pretty strong woman round about then eh?
:)

Lynne

Kfamr
03-29-2003, 02:40 PM
Mom's side- Grandpa Jim, Grandma Rose
Dad's side: Papa and Memaw
Hehe.. even my parent's call them by what the grandchildren call them.

slleipnir
03-29-2003, 02:47 PM
My grandmother died a few years ago, she was in her late 80's, I never met my grandfather on that side..On my moms side, my grandfather is in his 70's, I've only met him 3-4 times in my life, and my grandmother on that side I've never met :[ They died before I was born :(

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-31-2003, 05:44 PM
I call my grandparents on my moms side... grandmaw and grandpaw.
I call my grandparents on my dads side.... mamaw and pawpaw
:D :D