PDA

View Full Version : Good News!

Tweety_Pie
03-28-2003, 05:55 PM
:D As some of you know I have a female budgie named Tweety.

Well next weekend I am getting another budgie... It's going to be a male.. I am thinking of getting a Yellow one but I'm not to sure yet..... Does any one know some good tips on how to introduce a two budgies that have never met before? Plus I need good tips on getting a new bird.... I am getting another cage this weekend so I can be all set for the new little guy:D
I also need some Idea's for names!

Thank You!
Tweety_Pie

Tweety_Pie
03-28-2003, 06:45 PM
SOME ONE PLEASE ANSWER:( !!!!!!!
I need some tips!

Aspen and Misty
03-28-2003, 06:54 PM
sorry I know nothing, but I just wanted to tell you I hope your birdies get along! What sweet cuties!!!! We used to haev 2, JJ and AJ. Sweest birds I ever met. AJ died of un-known causes and JJ died of a broken heart 2 days later :(

Ash

Vermontcat
03-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Hey Tweety, that is great that you are getting another bird!:)
I think you have the right idea to start them out in 2 separate cages until they get used to each other.
Try to put the cages next to each other and see what they think of each other.
You can eventually put them in the same cage if they are getting along well.
I think the name Sweety would go good with Tweety!;)

Tweety_Pie
03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Thats exactly what i thought for a name along with

Ducky and Taz :D

Porcy
03-28-2003, 09:19 PM
Good for you.There nice little birds.Beings it's going to be a boy,how about CJ.

zanzanfergie
03-28-2003, 09:24 PM
first of all congratulations if you do end up getting another bird! :D
I don't know much about budgies, but with cockatiels you have to keep the new bird in quarantine from your other bird for four weeks, or until he sees an Avian vet. When I got Austin we took him to the vet the day after we got him and he checked out fine so we put him in with Lachie straight away (in a new cage though - it's probably not a good idea to introduce the new bird into old bird's cage, because of territory issues).
Even when they're being quarantined the birds will get to know each other, because they'll sing and call out to each other.
And by the way...I'm no expert on any of this! These are just tips i picked up when I got Austin. Popcornbird is probably the person you want to consult for a definitive answer though.
I hope they get along, and your new birdie brings you lots of joy! :D Good luck!
;)

Vermontcat
03-28-2003, 09:35 PM
You could also go with the name Sylvester.;)
I refer to my cat and bird as Tweety and Sylvester sometimes.:)
http://www.comixweb.de/gifs/tweety/twg04.gif
I agree that Popcornbird should be able to help you.

popcornbird
03-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Congrats on your new-to-be birdie! That's great you'll be getting a second cage, so you're on the right track.

I would recommend keeping the new bird in quarantine for a month or so. This means to refrain from introducing them to each other for that time, and keep them in seperate rooms. That way you will have time to get accustomed to the new bird's habits and reactions, and you will also have time to find out if everything is ok with the new bird (healthwise and behaviorwise). It is always recommended to quarantine new birds before introducing them to their friend. :) After the quarantine period, the birds should be used to hearing each other's noises and sounds, so they'll be aware there's "someone" in the house, and they'll be somewhat prepared. Move the new bird to your Tweety's room, and put new birdie's cage near or next to her's. Let them get to know each other from different cages before letting them out to play together. Once you feel they are used to each other's presence, let them out for playtime together, but keep a close watch on them. Don't put the new bird in Tweety's cage because she may feel he's an intruder in her territory and try to hurt him. Let them get used to each other by playing outside the cage, under supervision. After they get used to each other and you are sure they will not hurt each other, you can try to house them in the same cage (if that's what you are planning to do) otherwise, they can live in their own cages but have playtime together outside the cage everyday. Good luck and be sure to post pics!

HoRsELUvR
03-29-2003, 09:24 PM
Congrats on the new bird!as for names...Chester is kind of a cute name for a bird,i think.