PDA

View Full Version : pins on my bird and other stuff

lute
03-28-2003, 12:15 PM
my budgie has pins on her head. she is 2 years old. i thought that only baby birds had pins. is this a problem? what can i do to get the pins to go away?

i am also thinking of getting another budgie. i have a female. is a male and a female a bad combo? will they breed. i dont want them to. is it bad to have two birds in the same cage? i heard it was and that is wasn't.

thanks,lute

Tweety_Pie
03-28-2003, 06:39 PM
I am not sure about the pins on her head... are they like little black things that look like dots? My budgie Tweety has little dots on her head I have no clue what they are..... I am pretty sure a male and a female is a good combo as long as you keep them separated for the first couple of weeks
You can get some infor on budgies at

http://www.budgies.org

popcornbird
03-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Your bird probably just went through a molt and is getting new feathers. The new feathers have a covering over them until they are fully grown. That makes them look/feel like pins. When you have a pair, you usually won't notice this because they help each other remove the cover while preening. Maybe you can helpy your bird preen her head. ;);)

Tweety_Pie
03-28-2003, 08:57 PM
GUESS WHAT!!!:D
I am getting another budgie (a male)! In the next couple of weeks! I am really excited! I can't wait:D

lute
04-04-2003, 10:19 AM
cool! i am looking for another bughie also. i am gonna get a male too!

luckies4me
04-04-2003, 10:29 AM
I think the same as PCB has said, what those "pins" are, are new feathers still in their sheeth covering. I always gave my birds supplements when they were molting so maybe that is something you should look into.

Are you sure about both the birds sexes? Birds are kept in pairs all the time, but if you don't want babies I would suggest keeping them seperated or keeping them in same sex pairs. :)