PDA

View Full Version : for women only, ( I hope!)

marysmerrycats
03-28-2003, 11:40 AM
another thread, like moosmom's thread, this is just for the women members.

how old were you when you were allowed to wear makeup?
and shave you your legs?

I remember I could not wait to be able to shave my legs! but my mother said I had to wait til I was 13. on my 13th bday I got an electric razor!:)

as for makeup, I think I was about the same age, funny now I don't remember exactly, but I know that at first I was only allowed to wear light color lipstick, and pale eyeshadow, no other makeup. I remember talking to my mom about it, and she said I think you are old enough to wear some, then asked my dad "what do you think Frank?" .....I looked at my dad with the look of PLEASE:) but of course I knew that he would say ok. I think he just made a face like oh no here we go!

slick
03-28-2003, 11:50 AM
I had a very strict upbringing. No makeup and no dating until my grad in 1970. I'm probably not the best example femininity because to this day I do not wear any makeup or nail polish, do not colour my hair and I only shave because I have to.

moosmom
03-28-2003, 11:58 AM
Slick,

I thought I was the only one with a strict upbringing. I wasn't allowed to wear pantyhose (stockings in those days) till I was 16. Until then, I could wear fishnets (go figure :confused: ). I'm not sure when I started shaving. Same thing with make-up and dating.

I was a little devil though. :eek: Yes, I had a wild side, believe it or not. My father told me that I was not allowed to go to drive-ins. So I would find a movie playing at both a drive-in AND the regular theater :D. Till the day he died, he never knew. ;)

Of course the rules were totally different for my brother, who was 5 years older than me. :mad:

moosmom
03-28-2003, 12:10 PM
Popcornbird,

The only time I ever wear make-up is if I go out. I hardly ever shave my legs because my hair is so light. Besides, my legs get really scaly in the winter time and shaving them irritates them.

Cataholic
03-28-2003, 12:24 PM
OH NO! I am different from you two.....I began shaving prolly in 6th grade? Only to under my knees....why, I don't know, prolly cause I was so light. Make up probably 9th grade...but, even today, many grades later...I am still a light make up wearer. I have picked up a love of lipstick...and usually wear it all the time. My profession somewhat dictates that I wear skirts and hose. If I had my way, I would be in sweats all the time....or most of the time. I do highlight my hair, too! YIKES!! I could go on with my girly things, but, maybe it is time to stop for now..

marysmerrycats
03-28-2003, 12:39 PM
I was 26 years old before I ever colored my hair! and that was to.. a auburn color, it got a little too much red in it though,anyway, I kept it like that for just a short time, then dyed it back to my natural dark brown. I remember when My dad saw it, he walked in, looked, and then did a double take! he didn't say a word, but just the look on his face said it all! I laughed and said I take it you don't like it? anyway now I only color my hair to cover the grey, and I pick a color as close to my natural as I can.

In high school I wore way too much wmake up! my parents would say, that I looked terrible , but of course I didn't think so! then in my mid twenties, I would go without make up at times, and one day my dad said, aren't you going to put make up on? ahhhggg! the ultimate insult, when you father wants you to wear make up!
I think he just meant that I had dark circles under my eyes.:confused: :eek:

zippy-kat
03-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
OH NO! I am different from you two.....

Woohoo Johanna! Let's hear it for the girly-girls! lol

I don't wear much make-up (usually, just mascara) but I love it-- and have tons of it ... just incase. lol Bottles and bottles of lotion, nail polish, perfumes, etc. fill my cabinets.

I started wearing make-up in 8th grade. Started shaving "legally" (ie had Mom's permission lol) in 5th -- and I shave EVERYDAY b/c I can't stand the pricklies!

jenluckenbach
03-28-2003, 01:58 PM
I forget ages when things happened, but I do remember getting an electic razor for my legs and being too embarrasesed to use it if anyone was home because they would hear me and know what I was doing.:rolleyes: I was also very embarrassed by my first period.:eek: (which, by the way, happened when I was in 6th grade, 11 years old)

BUT !!! I colored my hair with a product called Sun-In, in 11th grade. It was suppose to lighten your hair gradually just like the sun would, but when I stopped using it, it DID NOT stop working. My dark brown hair turned bright red and then blonde. I was even growing out the blonde in my senior high school picture.

lovemyshiba
03-28-2003, 02:04 PM
I know my mom used to say no makeup until I was 16-whether or not I listened, I don't remember. I can't remember when I started shaving either, but I hate it--only do it because I have to!! I've been coloring my hair for a long time though--I used sun-in also, and one summer my hair turned green from the chlorine in the pools, then onto coloring at home, and now I spend a ridiculous amount of money to have my hair highlighted:rolleyes:
I like it though, and I have finally found a stylist who I really like, so it's nice. I only wear makeup now when I am going out (which is not that often), and when I work--other than that, I am a mess!!!

marysmerrycats
03-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Jen
thats funny, and I remember the product called sun in! never used it but I remember it.
I was so excited to be able to shave my legs I never thought of being embarrassed, but now(like my sister in law told me at the time) I hate having to shave my legs, and I have to, or I look like an ape lol, no light blonde hair on these legs!

I was embarrassed, however, when a commercial for kotex or bras would come on the tv and there was a male in the room.. would very quietly walk out of the room! with the commercials they have these day, I would have died!

Barbara
03-28-2003, 02:34 PM
I remember when I was 15 (end of the 60s that is) I bought some eyeliner in light blue. I had to hide it and could only put it on after I left the house, in the train or in school. Same thing with the mini-skirts. We rolled them down to make them shorter:)

I was not allowed to spend much money for clothes. This is why I started to earn money quite early.

jenluckenbach
03-28-2003, 02:34 PM
When the tv commercials used to advertise "women's products" I remember wondering "Why don't they ever advertise men's products?" HEE HEE

Edwina's Secretary
03-28-2003, 02:48 PM
I am the youngest in my family so my mother was pretty non-chalant about alot of things after my two sisters and my brother.

I was dying to shave my legs but was too afraid (??) to ask for permission (I was called Hairy Sary.) One day a friend of my mother was visiting. She asked my mother at what age I would be allowed to shave my legs. My mother replied that she assumed I already did. As of later that day...I did! (I was about 12.)

As for makeup....one day she was driving me somewhere. I was maybe 13. She looked at me and said..."If you are going to wear all that makeup at least blend it in along your jaw." I wore very little makeup after that.

Except for mascara. I never leave the house without mascara!

cali
03-28-2003, 02:56 PM
jeez people have strict upbringings! I have never NOT been allowed to wear make-up or shave my legs or anything. man my MOM knows more about what is in fashon with teens then I do, and I am the teen!:eek: :p

Soledad
I'm a huge girly girl. I LOVE make up, wearing dresses and heels, and perfume.

I like expensive make up and perfume, unfortunately.

I wear Chanel No 5 because it's so classic and soft. And I have a certifiable obsession with lipstick. I look fine without make up, but I much prefer wearing it. It's a fun time for me in the morning to get all gussied up. Sort of meditative.

But my mother wouldn't let me wear make up or shave until 14!! Which was just like unbelievably late, considering I was a year ahead and all the girls I went to school with were 15-16. She also only let me where lipgloss until I was 16. I didn't get really into make up until university.

NoahsMommy
Great thread Mary!!

When I was in 7th grade, a boy made fun of me for not shaving my legs! I went home that weekend and shaved! ;) I was so scared of the razor for some reason, I thought I would cut myself.

When I turned 13 (in 8th grade) my mom took me to have my hair weaved and to be taught how to wear makeup. It was so great! I loved being able to wear makeup, yet look natural.

Yep...I am totally a girly-girl.... :D

Those commercials were horrible! I used to get so embaressed too. They have gotten much worse...but now they have them for men too! hee hee

Aspen and Misty
03-28-2003, 02:58 PM
I started wearing make up this year, I'm 14 and in the 8th grade. I started shavnig my legs in the 5th grade, I was 11? I think at least :rolleyes: . I used to wear makeup everyday and I loved wearing it, I dunno it makes me feel pretty and gives yo uthat extra boost of confidence, but I gave up after the 40th rude coment from the boys :rolleyes: . I do wear makeup on special ocasions, and when out of school. I started dating in the 6th grade. My parents had no idea I shaved or wore makeup because my sister taught me how. I think she was just exited to have someone to steal makeup from and to talk about boys with :p

Ash

Soledad
03-28-2003, 03:01 PM
OMG!! Girls date so early these days. I wasn't allowed to until I was 16. And it was still heavily frowned upon. I didn't even have my first kiss until I was 18. But with my large scary father and three large scary brothers, I guess it's not too surprising. :)

NoahsMommy
03-28-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
OMG!! Girls date so early these days. I wasn't allowed to until I was 16.
Ditto....

My mom kept pushing up the age...I don't think I could go out on my own with a boy until I was almost 18! I always had to be in a group, which, looking back, was probably a GOOD idea. :)

Soledad
03-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Good to know I wasn't alone. I didn't actually date until 18 because I knew how much my parents didn't want me to. I was a pretty good kid. I did the group thing as a compromise, and I think it was a GREAT idea.

Logan
03-28-2003, 03:14 PM
This has been fun to read!!! Sorry, guys!!! :o

I am 40 now, and the mother of a quickly maturing 12 year old. I remembered some "rules" I had as a child and I broke nearly every one of them raising my own.

First one, piercing the ears...my parents said I could do it at 13, and that's when I did. My daughter and I made an agreement (with her dad's blessing), when she was about 7-8, and when she spent 30 nights in her own bed without trying to get in the bed with me, or with her dad and his wife, she could get her ears pierced. It worked!! :)

I remember that my sister's razor fascinated me (she was 4 years older than I). In the fifth grade, I decided to "try" it without asking, first. Then I got scared, after one leg, so I stopped. My mom busted me that night! LOL!! Since then, I have done the obligatory shaving on a regular basis! I remember that one of my friends sent me an email right after I started dating Scott and said that now I would have to shave my legs more often!! :) When Helen was ready to shave in the 5th grade, I said ok, but warned her that once she started, it would never end!

As for makeup, I think it is too early. On occasion, she wears a little lipgloss and I notice mascara (blue) every now and then, but she hasn't gone beyond that. But she is a very mature 12 years old, having already hit puberty when I didn't until I was 16! :o

I usually wear makeup every day, but like many of you, if nothing else, I am going to have my eyelashes!! Black Mascara all the way!! My mother said to me, last fall, that I needed to "keep myself up" since I had found a new man!! LOL!!! And I do find myself doing it for him!!

Logan

Cincy'sMom
03-28-2003, 03:44 PM
I think I started wearing make-up in 5th grade. My mom said it was too much, but I remember my grandma sticking up for telling my mom if wearing make up was the worst thing i did...ironically, by high school I hardly wore any, and by college it was few and far bewteen. Even now I rarely wear make-up, occasionally when we go out, and always for dance performances (don't have a choice in that one!)

I started shaving in 6th grade. I was going to FL for Spring Break with my freind and her family and decided I better try it. Course I hacked my leg up and then told everyone I fell off my bike!

I starting "dating" at 14. I was "going out" with my neighbor, who was 2 years older then me and could drive!! (For all the good it did us, since I wasn't allowed in his car for quite a while after we starting dating) We were togetherfor a bout 1 1/2 yrs, but by that point he was 18 and thinking about college and wanting to talk about "the rest of out lives" I wanted a driver's license before a marriage license!

I have never been a girly-girl. I grew up with mostly boys and went to a grade school where the girls were just as athletic (if not more so) then the boys. I was involve din just about eery sport possible and even now wonder why, for 4 weeks in July I let dance rehearsal interfere with softball! ( I didn't start dancing til I was 23!)

2kitties
03-28-2003, 03:47 PM
I'm a huge girly girl. I LOVE make up, wearing dresses and heels, and perfume.

I like expensive make up and perfume, unfortunately.

I'm on the Girly Girl Team. Retail Therapy is my therapy of choice. Or a day at the salon... hmmmm. Ain't nothing as theraputic as a new pair of wildly expensive shoes. Except maybe an ice cream cone :rolleyes:

I sort of forced the hand with my mom.

In 3rd grade I started sneaking things in my backpack to school- makeup, training bra, big earrings. I snuck into the bathroom to shave my legs. Of course I finally got caught with a face of makeup fit for a clown! Mom stopped that quickly but agreed to the training bra. (which I didn't need until I was 20)

In 4th grade I was allowed to shave my legs. I realize this was early, but I have fair skin and dark hair. Not a pretty sight for a girl. Plus, I was a dancer and felt very self conscious. I was horribly embarrassed so mom caved in.

In 7th grade I went to junior high and wanted to look like a grown up. So I was allowed a light scented lotion and peach colored blush, brown mascara and clear lipgloss.

I could wear real makeup in 9th grade.

I was allowed to have boys over to watch tv in the living room at 14, as well as go to movies with a chaperone and school dances. I was allowed to double date at 15. Single date at 16.

I don't have children, so I can't speak of experience. But I can say that I think my relationship with mom was/is open and honest. She (and dad) allowed me all the freedoms I earned. My upbringing was neither strict or lenient. It was simply earned freedom. I very seldom abused that structure and we all got along just fine. I hope I am able to offer that to my children someday.

iceyshiver21
03-28-2003, 03:48 PM
I started all this when I was 11 or 12. I dont wear much make-up just mascara.

wolflady
03-28-2003, 04:31 PM
LOL LOL I guess you could say that I can be a girly girl and a complete slob...depending on my mood! :rolleyes:
I was always more of a "tom-boy" growing up: playing sports and getting dirty outside, but once I hit my jr and sr years in high school and college, I turned more girly girl.

I think I started shaving my legs in jr. high...and I remember getting an electric razor for my birthday that year! :eek: What sorta b-day present is that? LOL LOL I was scared to shave with a razor for fear of being cut also, but once I did...I never went back to electric.
I don't think I started wearing make-up until high-school (so probably 14-15 age range). I didn't seriously date until my sr year in high school and college! :o LOL LOL ;)
Like 2kitties said, I don't think my upbringing was overly strict (though I thought it was at the time...especially in high school - but I'm thankful for it now) or overly lenient...it was all earned, but I was actually a pretty good kid I guess :o

I think I'm even more girly girl now though! I have gotten into this thing for eye shadow and "sparkly" things! OMG! If I'm feeling down or stressed, I usually turn to my friends and say "I need some make-up" and we go shopping! It's so much fun to go to the different make-up counters in Nordstrom or Macy's to get your face all done up. :D :D LOL
But, I also just love lounge-wear for relaxing...flannel cat pajamas and sweats! :D

bluekat
03-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Right now, I am 13 years old, and I have an 18 year old sister. I guess I copy her with the makeup and stuff, so I wear makeup now. I think I started in gr.5? only with lipgloss though. I love makeup! I wasn't too good with it though, cuz sometimes I got in trouble for putting on too much. I don't wear makeup in school, only lipgloss probably. When I'm not in school, I'd put on eyeshadow and all that stuff.
As for shaving, I don't shave. i'm so afraid! Once I got some on my hand, and it burned! I hate the wax. Maybe I'll start shaving as I get older. My legs aren't that hairy, and I think only a few girls that i know shave their legs.

I just think that its fun being a girl:D :D :D :D :D no offense to the guys!

Aspen and Misty
03-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by bluekat

I just think that its fun being a girl:D :D :D :D :D no offense to the guys!

This made me think of Shania Twians Man I feel like a women. :D

I will have to admit one of the best things about being a women is your Girl Friends. They are great. Expesially when your bummed you all can get all nice looking and go out and do stuff, liek tonight were going to the mall, been a long day and we got money and we feel the need to shop. But all I had to do was call my friend Mary (soxie) and say I'm bummed lets do something. She's like Lets go to the mall. I was like alright :D

LOL. I think every girl in my grade shaves.

One of the funnest things about the girls in our grade is they aren't imabressed to say they have there period. They pretty much anoincet (sp) it to everyone by saying "I've got my period and I'm in in a good mood". They crack me up sometimes!

Ash

NoahsMommy
03-28-2003, 05:16 PM
I got my first period at 11....I was about 10 days from my 12th birthday, in Las Vegas for my dad's wedding. I remember being SO MAD that I couldn't go on the water slide at the hotel! ;) I hated my period....hated all the stuff that came with it, especially cramps!

Yes!! Retail Therapy...I'm gonna tell my hubby that. There is NOTHING on earth that can't be cured with a brand new outfit and a new item from Sephora. :) Gosh, I want to go shopping!!! ;)

Kfamr
03-28-2003, 05:17 PM
I don't wear make-up, never have. Ok, i lied, i swer black lipstick once in a while :p But other than that, nothing. I forgot when i started shaving my legs... i doubt my parents ever cared if i did or not lol istarted when i wnted to:D

wolflady
03-28-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
...There is NOTHING on earth that can't be cured with a brand new outfit and a new item from Sephora. :) Gosh, I want to go shopping!!! ;)

LOL LOL So when can ya come up?? I got all of my make-up brushes from Sephora. I love them! I saw some neat eye shadows there the other day....I was tempted...:eek: ;) :o :D

RockyRoad
03-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Hmm...This is gunna be very embarassing for me to type (can't you just picture me blushing!)

I shaved my legs when I was nine. My mom has no rules about that.

I only use make-up on special occasions, with one acception. My skin tend to be very pale at times, so I have to use blush to make myself look...alive. When we have school concerts, graduations, etc, I tend to put on some lip gloss. But that's about it.

I don't date, and I never want to. The boys in my school are sick and whacked. Plus, they refuse to date girls of my "social class".:rolleyes:

I got my period two years ago... In my school if you get it too early they say you are fat. They say "Fat people get it first" which makes me ashamed. I HATED it because I could never swim, and I had to hide it from all of my friends. (They make fun of people who have it, FYI) Then OH the cramps! I've left school early almost six times this year because they hurt!:(

I really like this thread. I've never talked about this stuff with my school friends before. I guess they'd just laugh and stuff. I can't wait until they get it.
;) Thanks ;)

2kitties
03-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
There is NOTHING on earth that can't be cured with a brand new outfit and a new item from Sephora. :) Gosh, I want to go shopping!!! ;)

I'm in I'm in I'm in!! Sephora is one of the best stores on earth! Sephora and the Mac store... not the Mac counter in the mall, but the full store! There just aren't enough of these places out there. Who needs Disney World when we've got Bloomies!

I live north of Chicago in Milwaukee and I have to tell you, if I'm feeling blue, I drive south and spend some time on Michigan Avenue. And, IF I'M REALLY BLUE, I go inside the store of all stores: TIFFANYS. Ahhhh. (Not that I can afford anything there, but a girl can dream.)

weiner_teddy
03-28-2003, 06:58 PM
No offense but I hate makeup!! I am not a make-up kind of person lets put it that way. As for shaving my legs I was about 12 years old when I started.

catland
03-28-2003, 07:11 PM
What - and draw attention to myself? I really don't remember when I started to shave my legs. I wasn't a big fan of the practice - I'm still not - I love the winter when I can wear tights (hee-hee).

As for makeup, I still remember my first purchase, Cover girl mascara - blue-black. I didn't wear makeup very much as a teenager - I wore it more in my twenties and thirties - now that I'm in my forties it needs to be a special occasion for me to bother with it.

So far, from a distance at least, my grey hairs look more like "highlighting" - we'll see how much longer that lasts.

FLS - I know its hard to understand at your age, but having your period is nothing to be ashamed of (of course, you couldn't have told me that when I was 13 - I would have been mortified to even discuss the topic). That bit about "fat people" is totally made up - don't believe it for a moment. I've found that Advil is good for cramps - but check with your parents first! Don't ever take medication becasue someone on a web site said so.:eek:

RockyRoad
03-28-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by catland
FLS - I know its hard to understand at your age, but having your period is nothing to be ashamed of (of course, you couldn't have told me that when I was 13 - I would have been mortified to even discuss the topic). That bit about "fat people" is totally made up - don't believe it for a moment. I've found that Advil is good for cramps - but check with your parents first! Don't ever take medication becasue someone on a web site said so.:eek:

My mom usually gives me Midol to help. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. :) I'll have to suggest Advil as well.

NoahsMommy
03-28-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by FloppsyLadySally89

My mom usually gives me Midol to help. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. :) I'll have to suggest Advil as well.
Time for a commercial! ;)

You HAVE to try these for cramps!!!!!
http://www.savon.com/shop/assets/product/037000/03700034564.jpg
They work really, really well. They last at least 12 hours and they are so soothing, you wont feel ANY cramps at all! I get them so bad, these are the only thing that work...well, with Aleve. :)

You get them in the first aid/medicine section of the store.

wolfsoul
03-28-2003, 07:36 PM
I was never told when Icould or could not wear makeup. But I started in grade 5. It was terrible! I went to school with bright bright red lipstick! :eek: I had no sense of fashion at that age...:rolleyes: Now I've got the whole thing going lol. I wear black eyeliner, black eyeshadow, and black mascara :D

I wasn't allowed to shave for a long time...but it doesn't mean that I didn't :rolleyes: I started shaving when I was 9, and I felt guilty about it, so I would ask my mom when I was allowed to shave. She said not now, but I did anyways. :rolleyes: I hate shaving now though. I only shave on the days that I wear shorts. ;)

No emabarassing period stories here :D I had mine while going to the bathroom when I was 12. But my friend had hers at school, and with white pants! :eek: She told everyone that someone socked her in the butt with a paintball :rolleyes:

My mom usually gives me Midol to help

My friend could live off this stuff. lol. I myself don't need medicine. :D I don't usually get cramps :D

That bit about "fat people" is totally made up - don't believe it for a moment.

What about fat people? :confused:

RockyRoad
03-28-2003, 07:36 PM
Ooh, thanks! :D I'll have to get it.

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-28-2003, 07:37 PM
HA!! HA!!
Mary you gave an exact portrayal of my life...
I was not allowed to shave untill I was thirteen ... BUT.. I started earlier (don't tell my mom ;)) .. the hairs on my legs were real light but they were soooooo long... AND for my 13ht birthday I got an electric razor too. It was rechargeable and came with a relly cute pouch.. so I would keep it charged and shave every where that I went. and now I would pay a million dollars if they would stop growing so I would never have to shave again...

My mom let me wear make up at 13 too. BUT NO MASCARA!!! So my friend would bring hers to school and let me wear it. I don't wear too much make up now... only a little eyeshadow... eyeliner and mascara... no lipstick. I have never found a color that looks good on me.. I kind of just like to accent and not make up my face.

I can't really remember what age my mom wanted me start dating... but I went on my first date when I was 13. I think the only reason she let me go was because my boyfriend was a guy that went to our church and we knew him and his family for so long.

OH TO BE BACK ... in those care free days.... :)

All Creatures Great And Small
03-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Interesting thread! I went through so many permutations of hair and makeup it's just ridiculous. I started wearing makeup in 9th grade, with mom's approval, and of course I just went way overboard with it - big pink gobs of blush, the dark eyeliner all the way around the eye, and sparkly peach-colored eyeshadow all the way up to my SERIOUSLY over-tweezed brows. (They still won't grow back in some spots :( .) The only thing I couldn't stand to wear, and still can't, is foundation and lipstick - I hate the smell, taste, and feel of lipstick. I toned the makeup down some when I met my then-fiance and now-husband. I had long, straight, parted in the middle hair from 9th grade on, starting with my natural brown and then slowly being dyed lighter and lighter until it was almost platinum! (Constantly walking around with a stinky ammonia head full of hair bleach..........:rolleyes: ) Then, the year before my daughter was born, a coworker who was also a beautician convinced me to cut off the long hair and get a serious 80's perm, which I had in combination with the badly bleached hair. I still remember being pregnant with my daughter and getting ready for work, curling my big hair, spraying it until it didn't move, and then upchucking from the smell of the hair spray EVERY TIME. But - the day my daughter was born was the last day I wore makeup, and I let the perm and bad color grow out right away too. I had such severe post-partum depression that I could barely brush my teeth, let alone make myself "pretty". I eventually decided people would just have to deal with what I really look like, because I can't stand spending all that time fussing in front of a mirror. Now I have straight, shoulder-length hair that I can just blow dry with a round brush, and I don't wear a scrap of makeup. I'll be the first to admit that I look like hell, especially with the dark circles etched under my eyes after 41 years. My husband prefers me with the makeup on, of course, and I just tell him that I would prefer him with shaved legs and armpits, and that shuts him up. ;) :p Part of the problem is that when I laugh, which is just about all day long, my eyes get watery and if I'm wearing makeup, it just gets all smudged anyway. I'll glam up for weddings and that sort of thing - basically any time I'm in a skirt, I'm in makeup too. (Maybe twice a year.) I shave my legs when I remember to, or when my husband complains :D - it's such a pain!

Now what would REALLY be hilarious on this thread would be pictures of us during our worst makeup/hair/clothes phases..........:D

Andie
03-28-2003, 09:14 PM
I was 11 or 12 when I started shaving. I didn't really think I needed to but my mom said I did. I hate shaving because my hair is so light that I have to dry shave. I love winter when I can wear pants all the time. My dad usually makes fun of me saying that my legs are hairier than his. (Though he hates to see me shaving, he thinks that should be done in places where he can't see me LOL)

I got my 1st period around 13. No big tramatic thing for me just slowed me down slightly. I never had cramps and I had a hormone imbalance so I only had a period every couple months to once a year.

I was never told when I could wear make up. One day when I was 16 my aunt was like "You would be such a pretty girl if you would just wear some make up and do your hair up." (my response was that I'm fine with how I looked and if I ever needed beauty tips I would not get them from her) I'm not a make up person. I hate the feel of it on my face. I've only really wore it for my proms. Every now and then I get the urge to put a little lipstick on but that even is a rarity.

I didn't have a boyfriend til I was 16 and then he wasn't a very nice guy (he had 3 other "girlfriend) :eek: :mad: . It's ok though cuz a year later I started dating his best friend (Dustin). (only because they were totally different, Matt was a user and Dustin is the sweetest guy you'll ever meet)

Oh and although I'm naturally (dirty) blonde, I decided that my hair was getting too dark and started highlighting it in the 10th grade. Young I know but I was turning into a brunette and (no offense to the brunnettes on this) I just could have that.:p ;)

Nomilynn
03-28-2003, 09:23 PM
I started shaving in grade 6, so I was 11, and wearing make up in grade 7. I had my first boyfriend in grade 9. He and I dated for over a year :)

As for make up, I will if I'm going out or something but I don't wear it every day. My favourite perfumes are Eternity and Obsession by CK, Clinique Happy and Ralph by Ralph Lauren. I never buy perfume, I get it as gifts, and so far those are my favourites!!! :D

wolfsoul
03-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Oops, forgot to add dating to my post lol...well, I'll tell you about that now...I never talked to my mom about dating...never will...she never knows when I get asked out or anything...Just too "blah" lol..we have one of those relationships..anything vaguely resembling something we may actually talk about I avoid :rolleyes:
My first boyfriend was in grade 7...it wasn't fun at all....We didn't do anything at all together, but we said we were going out...It was more like one of those stupid relationships that younger kids only "call" relationships because they want to be cool lol...Oooh I so did fit that description :rolleyes:
I had a boyfriend in grade 8...once again, we didn't do much...
Then last year, I got asked out by a real nice guy. He's still in some of my classes this year. But it just got too hard because I had so much stuff to do and not enough time for him. We never officially broke up, just drifted.
Then I went out with a reeeeally popular guy which I just found too stressful...I couldn't handle the pressure so I dumped him :rolleyes:
Those were my first boyfriends, I've had more, but I don't want to bug you all by telling you all about them lol

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-28-2003, 09:38 PM
originally posted by Nomilynn
and Ralph by Ralph Lauren

RALPH.. BY RALPH LAUREN!!!! SMELLS SOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!
My husband bought me some of that... I hardly ever wear it cause I don't want to run out!! MMMMM it smells soooo good!

My favorite cologne... (for men) is Drakkar.... I think that smell is so sexy for men...:o

KYS
03-28-2003, 09:46 PM
This is a fun thread.
I remember just if it were yesturday.

I was not allowed to shave my legs, till I
was 12 1/2, when a boy made fun of me at school.
(public schools back than would not let girls wear pants,
and in homeroom every morning.
the teacher would measure the
distance from our knee to the bottom of our skirts
to make sure our skirts were not to short.)

I wanted to wear lipstick when I was 13 years old,
and my mom said no unless Ann Landers
said it was ok. So I wrote to Ann Landers news colume
and she wrote me back with a NO!
So lipstick wasn't allowed till I was
14 years old.

When I was 15, the public schools change the dress codes
and I took full advantage.
When I was 15 my mother let me wear make up,
and short skirts.
I used to use proxide to make highlights in my hair.
I was not allowed to date till I was 16.
I did not officially date till I was 18 anyway.

Yep, I remember those days. :D

wolfsoul
03-28-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Andie

I got my 1st period around 13. No big tramatic thing for me just slowed me down slightly. I never had cramps and I had a hormone imbalance so I only had a period every couple months to once a year.

Really? My period is messed too, so I'm going to a gynocologist and my mother says she is willing to put me on birth control to regulate it. The last time I had it, it lasted 26 days!!! :eek: :mad:

wolfsoul
03-28-2003, 10:33 PM
My family was just sitting around the table the other day talking about thyroid problems....maybe I should get mine checked out...hmmm...
My period is sooo screwed up! :eek: The average time it lasts is 14 days! But it skips a couple days inbetween every few days, so it confuses me...I never know when it's coming or going :confused: The longest it's lasted is 26 days..grrr

It's fun to talk about this...I can talk to my friends about it, but not as detailed...I guess it's easier over the net lol. And considering we found out there are only like two guys on here we can pretty much say anything lol :p

wolfsoul
03-28-2003, 10:44 PM
lol, don't worry, I'm a wierdo too :p
My first period only lasted 8 days, but I just read on this health site that you should call your doctor if your period is more than seven days...seven days!!! I've never ever had a period that lasted less than 8 days! Ahk, I'm screwed lol..
I found this :

You should see the doctor:

If heavy bleeding lasts for over 24 hours
If your period regularly lasts more than seven days
If periods are coming less than 21 days apart
If periods have stopped for more than three months
If periods are accompanied by much greater level of pain than usual

Ahh here we are, talking about periods :rolleyes: lol ahhh good times :p

kingrattus
03-28-2003, 10:59 PM
Just found this thread, sounds fun.

Lipstick?? whats lipstick? can u eat it?

Makeup?? huh?? oh oh oh u mean war paint :D

Sh Sh Shav Shaving? Oh u mean trimming those long black things on ur legs & pits every 2 weeks!! ;)

Oh god, horrible memories about getting my period after 13... it was so painful, I had to stay home the first 2 days I got it... I cried my eyes out & couldn't eat, on a positive point, it came every 6 months... then I & my parents couldn't take it any longer at age 16 & I started the BC Pill... talk about relief :D no more pains, only 4 days long, its great, well compaired to the pains anyway... I think we can all live without it. :)

26 days is nothing. My friend had it backwards. She had no bleeding periods every couple of months. I felt soooo sorry for her... but her Dr. said its not heavy so its not hurting her at all.

I didn't date until I was 16 (now 20) & I'm still with my first & only date & were getting married on Jan 30 2004 :D

wolfsoul
03-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Yes, my mother told me she's willing to put me on the pill...*hoping it doesn't make me fat* lol. If it makes me fat, I don't care how bad my period is, I'll stop taking them! :rolleyes:

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-28-2003, 11:12 PM
I got on the birth controll pill to regulate my period... and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It may just be my experience.. but I hate them... Of course I take them now because I am married and don't want kids... I have talked to Eric about coming off of them soon because they have messed up my hormones sooo bad... I would rather have an abnormal period any day over the mood swings and side effects from birth control.:(

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-28-2003, 11:16 PM
Man I sounded so dramatic...:p That is my experience with them... you still may want to talk to a doctor and ask their advice.:)

wolfsoul
03-28-2003, 11:21 PM
I'll talk to a doctor first, thanks. :) If it's serious or she recomends it, then I guess I'm on it. I hate the thought of taking a pill every single day, but oh well lol :rolleyes: .
I remember back in the day when all my friends thought that the pill made you lose your period. Ahhh if only it were that easy :rolleyes:
I'm actually supposed to be keeping a journal of my period right now to show the doctor, but I've been procrastinating...guess I better start that tonight :rolleyes:

NoahsMommy
03-28-2003, 11:41 PM
The pill is the greatest thing ever invented!!!

It regulates periods, makes cramps go away, makes back pain go away, makes acne go away and is just plain wonderful.

Taking a small pill everyday is no big deal...it actually helped me to learn to swallow pills.

I for one, will take the pill for as long as I can! ;)

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-28-2003, 11:45 PM
HA!! Kelly....
I think that is the first time we have ever disagreed on anything....;) What pill do you take? I take the ortho-tri-cyclen. (sp)

Miss Meow
03-28-2003, 11:58 PM
...I wear Chanel No 5 because it's so classic and soft. And I have a certifiable obsession with lipstick.

Soledad, have you tried the new L'Oreal lip glosses? They come in little silver tubes like toothpaste tubes. Fantastic, I am completely hooked!

I think I was mid-teens for makeup. I was such a tomboy that makeup wasn't a huge priority for me :) And I'm fair so my leg hairs took a while to make an appearance. I remember salivating over the Epilady tool that rips the hair out - looked so easy and painless on TV. My mum finally bought me one for my birthday. I was in tears after it ripped the first hair out and screaming when it took out another hair. For years she used to ask if I still used that infernal machine!

When I was single and didn't have to worry about shared finances :rolleyes: I used to have everything waxed: underarms, arms, legs and bikini.

NoahsMommy
03-28-2003, 11:58 PM
I take Miracette, its testostrone, not estrogen. I like it much better than the first one I tried, which was estrogen.

You may ask your doctor about that. The difference is amazing!!

krazyaboutkatz
03-29-2003, 12:53 AM
This sure is an interesting thread. :) I was also quite a tomboy growing up so I don't think I started wearing makeup until 9th grade. I never remember my Mom ever telling me when I could or couldn't wear it. I probably wore more makeup when I was in my 20's. Now I wear light makeup to work and usually don't wear it on the weekends unless I'm going somewhere important. I started hightlighting my hair at 28 and now dye my hair myself. I've gone to professionals but now prefer doing it myself. I've been blonde and also a redhead. Now I'm a golden-blonde and I do it to cover up the gray.

I can't really remember when I started shaving but I think I was about 13 or 14. I also have to shave very often in the summer because I wear shorts but in the colder months I'll shave about once a week. I didn't start my period until I was 14. I was much later than most of my friends so I knew what to expect. I've been lucky and have rarely ever had cramps. My periods usually last about 6-7 days which I think is way too long and the first 3 days are very heavy. The first day or two is when I'll get some cramping if I'm going to. My periods are also not exactly regular but are usually every 18-23 days apart. The only time they've been regular have been when I've been on birth control pills.

shais_mom
03-29-2003, 01:38 AM
I am in the girly girly club!!!
I started shaving in the 6th grade (age 12??)
I started my period when I was 11.
I started wearing makeup around age 12 also.
hhmmmm got contact that same year also
Shaving:
I had long dark hair and when I wore pantyhose it poked thru them, and at church I got made fun of.
And I also did the one leg thing also!!! My mom wouldn't let me do the other one!! Now I shave almost everyday, I don't like the prickles either!:o
Period:
Age 11. I was going to the bathroom at home one eveing and for some reason my dad was home.( Rare b/c he worked 3-11 for most of the 30+ years he worked at the factory) and I saw IT in my underwear. I yelled "MOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!" And in comes my dad, and I said "I don't want you I want MOM!" He said "Well, Fine!" In comes my mom, and the first words out of her mouth was "OH NO!"
Makeup:
I started buying trial sizes of base for some color on my cheeks then it blossomed from there. Now I wear full makeup almost everyday. I am obsessed with lipstick. MUST HAVE!!!
I love to buy makeup, it makes me feel better about myself. I am a product junkie! My friends call my make up box my tool box !!!! :D

I almost always come home with SOME KIND OF MAKEUP when I go to Walmart. My absolute favorite makeup base is Revlon Colorstay. I have been using it for 2-3 years continously.
Nicole, I like those L'Oreal glosses also!!
I am like Tonya, I have all sorts of bottles in my bathroom, I could probably start a store of my own!!
Anything new that is advertised, I have to try it!
I- MUST- TRY -IT!!

Kfamr
03-29-2003, 01:43 AM
I've never dyed my hair either lol.... I wanna dye it with bright red streaks like the color of this smilie:mad: :o ehhe but my mom won't let me :( :( :( :(

wolf_Q
03-29-2003, 02:07 AM
Hmm....told myself I wouldn't reply or even look at this thread, lol...might embarass myself...too bad, I'm bored.

I'm not a girly-girl...never have been. That's probably why nobody likes me..heh. You'd never see me spend money or any sort of cosmetic products, I'll just use what my mom buys. ;) Though I have some body sprays/perfumes that I use sometimes, it's just what others have given me, I'd never spend $$ on it.

My hair is long and straight/wavy. Parted in the middle. Wash it and brush it.......can't stand curling it, and I HATE hairspray! Eww it makes my hair feel all nasty. When I was younger I had bangs and put hairspray in them, lol. Haven't had bangs since at least 6th grade though. I've done some streaks and stuff in it before, but that's about it.

Make-up...have to wear it every day. I don't wear much though. Most people probably don't even know I'm wearing it. I can't stand lipstick, though sometimes I wear some that's more of just a light pink gloss. Must have mascara, and some powder, as I have an evil shiney face. Bleh. I don't know when I started wearing it, it was a while ago...

I always shave my legs...I started pretty early, don't remember when though.......not really a process I enjoy, and I'll admit to slacking off during the cold "pants" season. lol. Not that I wear shorts in the summer much either. Scarey legs.

I like painting my nails freaky weird colors. That's amusing....I used to have them a different color every week. I've been slacking though, as they just break at work anyway. :( I used to have really long and pretty nails.

As far as dating, there was probably some rules, but since I have never been on a date, I guess I don't really remember. I've never even been asked on one...except by annoying little brothers...*sigh*

I started my period when I was 11. It was pretty normal until these last 2 years.....I'll skip months at a time....actually, I haven't had one since last June. I tried taking birth control pills to regulate it, and they gave me severe pancreatitis (in the hospital) twice. I would NEVER take any sort of birth control pill again. I can't. So basically, something is wrong with me...I don't know what to do about it.......I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is part of it.....but.....I'm rather stuck on what to do at the moment, and I've been to doctors. They don't know whats wrong. :(

Yeah I think I need to start being "girly-girl" so people will quit asking me if I'm EVER going to get a boyfriend. :rolleyes: I need to go buy some new clothes. Funny, I have no problems buying clothes for the dog but I'm too cheap to buy some for myself, haha. Right now all I can wear are slick sweat type pants and t-shirts to work, and since I never go anywhere....kind of like...what's the point.......? I think I need to get back in school to motivate myself here!

I'm shutting up now!! ;)

jenluckenbach
03-29-2003, 06:02 AM
First I'd like to say WOW !!!! you ladies have been busy ! 2 1/2 pages to read this morning. hee hee

Now to add to the Jen Luckenbach story:
I've never been a girly-girl type, but sometimes I wished I was. I never learned to use makeup and hardly ever experimented. There probably isn't even 2 item of makeup in this house right now. Even at 40 years old, if I go out with lipstick on people who know me say"OOOOOOOO she'd wearing makeup" and it is embarrassing. You don't say that to your other friends.:( I can't even be in the sam building as perfume, HIGHLY sensitive and a lot of makeup products have fragrance in them.:( So I go au natural, as awful as that is (not a pretty face, but if I can live with it....you can live with it)

After reading this:

The pill is the greatest thing ever invented!!!

It regulates periods, makes cramps go away, makes back pain go away, makes acne go away and is just plain wonderful.

I want to be on the pill. I had my tubes tied BEFORE I was married. No need for the pill, but I want the side effects of this one.;)

I rarely get cramps like most women, but boy do I get back pain. Here is how I describe the pain "It feels like my back muscles are trying to tear themselves away from the underlying bones" :mad: I could definitely do without those!

Soledad
03-29-2003, 06:17 AM
Ooooh. I LOVE the pill. I NEVER get pimples on it and my periods are so much nicer. No cramps, light flow and bigger boobs. ;)

It's also really evened out my PMS. Sam is a big fan of that.

I haven't seen the lip gloss you were describing, Nicole. But have you checked out MAC's Lip Glass? That stuff is divine. So sexy and super shiny. It lasts for ages, and the coloured ones smell like cake.

As for hair, I used to dye it black. I'm a big fan of 1950s styles and love the black hair and bangs look. But now it's just dark brown, not a huge difference anyway.

I've never worn make up for guys. I just love playing with it and altering my looks. I get bored. :)

Whatever you do, do for yourself. Do what makes you happy.

Andie
03-29-2003, 10:46 AM
I can't take the pill. Why? Because I can't remember to take my med on time when I'm sick there is no way in the world I could remember to take a pill at the same time everyday. I take the Depo (Provera) shot which just stops my periods. (like I was getting one anyways :rolleyes: )

Popcornbird Wolfsoul, I thought I was the only one with that problem. It's nice to find out I'm not. When I found out about my hormone imbalance the doc said it would work itself out not too worry (I would still suggest going to yours).

Yeah I think I need to start being "girly-girl" so people will quit asking me if I'm EVER going to get a boyfriend.

NO YOU DON'T! If guys don't like you for who you are then they ain't worth your time. (you've prolly heard this before but) You have to be patient, your guy will come around and see just how great you are (usually when you've given up on him). ;)

*LabLoverKEB*
03-29-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Hmm....told myself I wouldn't reply or even look at this thread, lol...might embarass myself...too bad, I'm bored.

I'm not a girly-girl...never have been. That's probably why nobody likes me..heh. You'd never see me spend money or any sort of cosmetic products, I'll just use what my mom buys. ;) Though I have some body sprays/perfumes that I use sometimes, it's just what others have given me, I'd never spend $$ on it.

My hair is long and straight/wavy. Parted in the middle. Wash it and brush it.......can't stand curling it, and I HATE hairspray! Eww it makes my hair feel all nasty. When I was younger I had bangs and put hairspray in them, lol. Haven't had bangs since at least 6th grade though. I've done some streaks and stuff in it before, but that's about it.

Make-up...have to wear it every day. I don't wear much though. Most people probably don't even know I'm wearing it. I can't stand lipstick, though sometimes I wear some that's more of just a light pink gloss. Must have mascara, and some powder, as I have an evil shiney face. Bleh. I don't know when I started wearing it, it was a while ago...

I always shave my legs...I started pretty early, don't remember when though.......not really a process I enjoy, and I'll admit to slacking off during the cold "pants" season. lol. Not that I wear shorts in the summer much either. Scarey legs.

I like painting my nails freaky weird colors. That's amusing....I used to have them a different color every week. I've been slacking though, as they just break at work anyway. :( I used to have really long and pretty nails.

As far as dating, there was probably some rules, but since I have never been on a date, I guess I don't really remember. I've never even been asked on one...except by annoying little brothers...*sigh*

I started my period when I was 11. It was pretty normal until these last 2 years.....I'll skip months at a time....actually, I haven't had one since last June. I tried taking birth control pills to regulate it, and they gave me severe pancreatitis (in the hospital) twice. I would NEVER take any sort of birth control pill again. I can't. So basically, something is wrong with me...I don't know what to do about it.......I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is part of it.....but.....I'm rather stuck on what to do at the moment, and I've been to doctors. They don't know whats wrong. :(

Yeah I think I need to start being "girly-girl" so people will quit asking me if I'm EVER going to get a boyfriend. :rolleyes: I need to go buy some new clothes. Funny, I have no problems buying clothes for the dog but I'm too cheap to buy some for myself, haha. Right now all I can wear are slick sweat type pants and t-shirts to work, and since I never go anywhere....kind of like...what's the point.......? I think I need to get back in school to motivate myself here!

I'm shutting up now!! ;)

Ditto! Although, I haven't started me period yet, I am scared, though, what if it comes when I am at school?:) ;)

RockyRoad
03-29-2003, 11:10 AM
This reminds me of an episode of one of my favorite shows, Dgrassi. It's a show about teens and they are dealing with puberty, making/losing friends, drugs, etc.
This girl named Emma is having a science test in a few minutes, and her friends aren't helping her study (not on purpose). She gets mad and storms out of the room.
The next day she comes into school wearing a nice white skirt. During lunch, she gets up to go to the library with her friend Sean, and Manny (her best friend) pulls her down and says "Did you... sit..in something?" Emma freaks out, and Manny has to use a binder to hide the blood stain on Emma's skirt until she reaches the bathroom. Both the girls brought their gym clothes home, so Manny goes to look for extra clothes in the lost and found. The only thing she finds is a big pair of men's gym shorts, and the girls have to try and hold it up. As they return to class, their teacher makes them read a book report. Throughout the report, the boys are laughing at Emma's unusual shorts. Then, right there, one of the boys says "Aww, did Emmie pee her pants?" Emma states quite loudly, "No, I just got my period. Menstruation, you might have heard of it; happens to all women. Perfectly natural, nothing to be ashamed of." The teacher agrees, and they continue on with the report, leaving the boys speechless. :D
I love that episode.;)

wolfsoul
03-29-2003, 11:23 AM
I've been dying my hair since I was nine :D. When I was younger, my hair was white blonde. But now it's turning strawberry blonde :( No offence to any strawberry blondies here, just don't want it on my head. So I keep dying it blonde lol. It's funny cuz my friend has bleached white hair,and I put my hair next to hers, and it's orange!! Terrible...*sigh*

Kfamr
03-29-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by *LabLoverKEB*
Ditto! Although, I haven't started me period yet, I am scared, though, what if it comes when I am at school?:) ;)

EEEK! I'm always scared to have my start during class. Because most times it doesn't start while you're in the shower or sleeping [atleast not for me] And then in first period HERE IT COMES! So if i ever thing I'm going to get it, i wear a pad anyways [Like if i'm getting cramps or feeling PMS-ey, lol ] Cause like, you don't want to get up to ask to go to the bathroom, what if there's blood on your pants? What if there's blood on the chair? lol... :p

I dunno why but i was afraid to tell my mom the first couple days i had just got mine. For some reason, i *knew* what to do. I would steal pads from my sister's dresser drawers lol. Mom foud out when she saw me dropping one lol and she got all excited :rolleyes: She gave me a gift too lol :p

2kitties
03-29-2003, 12:58 PM

I haven't seen the lip gloss you were describing, Nicole. But have you checked out MAC's Lip Glass? That stuff is divine. So sexy and super shiny. It lasts for ages, and the coloured ones smell like cake.

Whatever you do, do for yourself. Do what makes you happy.

Mac LipGlass is sent from God. I have all the colors. Their "spice" lipliner goes with everything. And it has some kind of yummy smell that I enjoy.

And, Amen to the doin' it for yourself part.

Birth control pills are great. Make life much easier.

Chibi_Star
03-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Although, I haven't started me period yet, I am scared, though, what if it comes when I am at school?

That happened to my friend. And she was wearing white pants! She just told everyone she get socked in the butt with a paintball :rolleyes:

wolfsoul
03-29-2003, 01:09 PM
I already told them that story Ashley :rolleyes:

zippy-kat
03-29-2003, 02:29 PM
.....I'll skip months at a time...........I have polycystic ovarian syndrome

I have PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease). I'm blessed and cursed -- blessed b/c I don't want kids and w/ PCOD, there's a rare chance of getting pregnant. --cursed b/c of the pain that comes with it. :mad:

I, too, am on "baby repellant" ( ;) thanks for the phrase, Kelly)! And it seems to be helping the pain issues (I don't spend the first two days throwing up anymore).

moosmom
03-29-2003, 03:11 PM
"Baby Repellant" I love it!!

Cookiebaker
03-29-2003, 03:20 PM
I have polycystic ovarian syndrome

Yep, me too...*sigh*...my Dr. wants me to have a corrective surgery but I'm scared. I'm scared of having it, and getting cancer if I don't have it done. So I don't go to the Dr. anymore. :p

I'm not a girly girl either. I dunno...I was always shy about it, and afraid of putting too much on and making a fool out of meself. I just wear "normal" clothes...nothing fancy.

And I only shave my legs when I'm wearing skirt/dress.

wolfsoul
03-29-2003, 04:23 PM
haha I don't get cramps either, but my back is very bad, and I get even worse back pain! :eek: I have enough of that to deal with in the first place :(

NoahsMommy
03-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
I, too, am on "baby repellant" ( ;) thanks for the phrase, Kelly)! Anytime! :D I actually stole it from a friend. I about fell over laughing when she called it that...I love it! :)

Re: makeup and getting pretty for yourself....amen to that!!!

krazyaboutkatz
03-29-2003, 10:10 PM
Since I've gotten older, I'm now 40, my periods seem to be getting heavier. My mom and grandma also had this problem and they both had to have hysterectomy's. My mom was around 40 when she had hers. I hope I don't have to go through this. I tried the depo provera shots for about a year. It took me 6 months to completely stop having my period and then I didn't like the side effects. I was always hungry and so I gained weight. My face also broke out much more than normal. So I stopped and then it took me another 6 months to start my period again. The birth contol pills that I've tried have made me feel depressed so I really don't want to go on those again. Oh well, I guess I can stand another 5-10 years of having my period.

I also forgot to mention that I never dated or had a boyfriend during my middle school or high school years. Boys just weren't interested in me. I didn't date until I was about 18 and had my first boyfriend at age 22. I guess I'm what some would call a late bloomer. I've always done things much later than most people. I also haven't been in a relationship since I was 28 years old. I'm so used to not being in a relationship that it doesn't really bother me at all. I'm very happy with my 3 furkids. :)

Logan
03-29-2003, 11:11 PM
Watch out, KAK, it can happen when you least expect it!! I'm living proof!!! I think the best way to make yourself happy is to do exactly what you are doing. Love life, regardless of your situation, and you will be happy! I lived that way for 10 years and was completely content!! I'm glad you are too!!! :)

shais_mom
03-30-2003, 12:13 AM
This is the best I can do. I think the L'Oreal glass lipshine is probably alot like the MAC lip shine. I have never tried any MAC cosmetics so I don't really know.
I really tried to get the true link but this is an easy site to navigate.
http://www.lorealparis.com/

I forgot somethings in my earlier post! :);):D
PERFUMES:
I LOVE perfume/body sprays!! My bathroom shelf looks totally like the display in the store!!
And
I have been coloring my own hair since I graduated from High School. I tried a time or 2 before I graduated but......
The girls that have cut my hair say that it looks just as good if I had it done in the salon, so I am gonna keep doing it myself.

I had the TOTAL girly girl day today! I shopped at Victoria secret, Jc Penny and bought bras (excellant sale by the way, I ended up with 4 bras and 1 pair of undies for under $50!!!:eek: and three of the bras were $30 a peice!!!)
went to Bath and Body works, and the Clinique counter. Got a hand massage!! AAAHHH a heavenly day!!

joycenalex
03-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by *LabLoverKEB*
in many stores, in the ' feminine products' area are hard plastic tubes called tampon holders. there are also cases to hold panty liners. you can fit these in a backpack or a purse, or in your locker. and, believe me, the ladies in the front office will have these supplies too. i've rarely met a woman who has not been caught by surprise a time or two. hope this helps, joyce

Aspen and Misty
03-30-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom

PERFUMES:
I LOVE perfume/body sprays!! My bathroom shelf looks totally like the display in the store!!

I LOVE perfumes and stuff to!!! I really like hand lotions and stuff like that. I also like Smelly Bath washes :D . I just love the smell of things. I want to go to bath and body works today now! LOL. I need some new lotions, body sprays, bathwashes, the list goes on and on! LOL :D

Ash :D

shais_mom
04-19-2003, 01:27 PM
For those that don't like a heavy foundation. I tried the new
Almay Nearly Naked It is very light but covers excellantly.
Also for those of you who like the lip glosses I HIGHLY reccommend Avon Lip Glaze I LOVE IT!! I have like 5 of them!!
www.avon.com
:D:p

wolfsoul
04-19-2003, 01:36 PM
For any makeup, I would recommend "Mary Kae." They were the first makeup company in the world to start the march against animal testing. :D Their products are pretty expensive, but they are the best I've used! I used this one lotion only once, and now, a week later, my skin is still very soft! :eek:

Uabassoon
04-19-2003, 11:28 PM
I don't wear makeup, don't like it never have and never will. I think I was around 13 or 14 when I started shaving my legs.