PDA

View Full Version : new hedgehog owner...

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 08:56 PM
I have been doing 3 months research on African Pygmy Hedgehogs I was thinking about getting one.
They are not illegal here. I was going to get a tortoise but They are highly illegal here in B.C and I cannot get one without it being tooken away.

I have always wanted a hedgie. They sell them here in local pet stores. I would house it in a 20 gallon tank and feed it meal worms, crickets, earth worms, fruits, veggies, dry cat food ect...

I know they are only up at night and not in the day. I also know that they are solitary (sp?) .......

I hope you all know that I am still getting thoughs gerbils from the spca when Cuddles last pup *lil baby female syrian hamster tri colored, if anyone is interested* finds a good home. and I hope you all also know that I am very responsible and I do alot of research befor I jump into anything.

Also I know they need baths every once in a while to prevent ticks and flees with baby shampoo I also know to be armed with ruber gloves if it is a first time bath to lol. :D .

I will be taking my hedgehog for a vey check everytime it is needed, the first day or week I get it, it will be going to the vet :) be sure of that much :)

I also read that they need an excersise wheel ??? is this true? I would not put my hedge hog in a hamster ball to run in, dont worrie.

Any inputs? Or does anyone wanna add anything?? Thanks
:cool:

luckies4me
03-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Yes Hedgies like wheels, at least my Speedy does. :)

If they eat cat food it needs to be a high quality kitten food like Authority or Science diet. I feed a mixture of both.

They do need to be groomed. I think you saw Speedy bath picture right? hehe You need tweezers to pick out anything that gets stuck between their quills. If you get a baby don't hold him while he is quilling because it hurts. ;)

I wouldn't feed any insects unless they are domestic raised. Speedy gets superworms, meal worms, crickets, and freeze dried crickets too.

They have special diets formulated for hedgies as well. Speedy sometimes gets Briskys. They are online.

It sounds like you have done your research. Hedgies can make great pets! :D

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Thanks luckies4me, for replying :D... I love hedge hogs and I was always fasinated by them (sp?) .. I am pritty sure I will be getting an adult :).. But I have 1 question that wasnt answered on any sites.

How often do you bath your hedgie, and what kind of burrowing bedding r u suppost to use. Most of the websites I went to said "NO CEDAR" so I am taking that advise :).. But they say to use pine?? is that true?? What do you use for bedding??

luckies4me
03-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Well right now I use Carefresh. :) I have him in a Superpet cage with a wheel, a hammock, a tube to crawl in as well. He has a great time. Not like it matters, he sleeps all day and when he's up he's out to run around. lol :p

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:15 PM
How long did it take to tame your hedgehog? what do you suggest female or male?? They dont sell carefresh bedding here. :(

wolfsoul
03-27-2003, 09:24 PM
I also know that they are solitary

The ones at the petshop must be a different kind, because they are in groups :confused: Or maybe it is just a litter that hasn't been seperated yet :confused: I'm not sure. They are also housed with the degus. Both species are in seperate groups ignoring the other lol

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:28 PM
how much r they? I have 60 bucks right now.. :D.... Theya re solitary, most petstores dont have a clue because they dont care. they house syrian hamsters together and they are not suppost to, they would porbibly house betta fish males together without a clue lol. thats why I want to work at a pet store soooo fricking bad.. I would be alot of help to unknowledgeble ppl

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:28 PM
r they cute?? :D

luckies4me
03-27-2003, 09:30 PM
With the degus!:eek: WOW! I'd be scared for the hedgies.

They can be kept together but they prefer to be alone. Yes the ones you saw were probably just a litter of babies. :)

Tikeyas_mom

You don't have to use Carefresh. You can use Aspen shavings as well. :)

My hedgies were tame when I got them. Speedy the first was so cute when I got him lol. He rolled a few times but after a few days he settled down. Speedy, the one I have now, was pretty much tame when I got him. H was a spunky little thing.You should see his video when he was a baby. So cute!!!!:D

wolfsoul
03-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Of course they are cute! lol...I actually think they are over a hundred :( I can't remember, but I remember looking at the price and thinking, 'that much?!'

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:32 PM
yay. I would be scared for the degus because of the hedge hogs terriorial behavior. It would worrie me a bit..

Do they look like this wolf soul??

http://www.alphacentauri-rats.co.uk/images/hedgehog/hedgie6.jpg

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:32 PM
how much were your luckies4me?? I can scrounge up 120$ I think but no more then that .. :( ..

luckies4me
03-27-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
yay. I would be scared for the degus because of the hedge hogs terriorial behavior. It would worrie me a bit..

Do they look like this wolf soul??

http://www.alphacentauri-rats.co.uk/images/hedgehog/hedgie6.jpg

HEY THAT'S ESTELLES HEDGIE!!!! :D

wolfsoul
03-27-2003, 09:34 PM
Yep, it looked like that, but I think different colours? Can't remember..

luckies4me
03-27-2003, 09:36 PM
I think that one is an algerian cinnacot.....it should say on her site.

She breeds ratties too. :D

I paid 65 dollars for Speedy, he was the last one there at the store. But I also spent 75 for his cage, and about 60 for his supplies. :)

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:39 PM
ok i'll meet you at the mall @ around 12:30-1:00 lunch time ok..

i'll leave my house at 11:47 ..... sound good?? then we can hange out and stuff. We will meet at the "bay' enterance ok? What do you look like? lol

luckies4me
03-27-2003, 09:39 PM
There are a lot of different colors. Chocolate chips can run around 65 and snowflakes can cost as much as 150 dollars.

Don't you already know what hedhies look like? Here's a pics of Speedy again. :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/pdc2ccf6c3e44913aa7de7c5ae7dd942e/fd0c3a0e.jpg

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:40 PM
yes yes. what do you house your hedgehog in??

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:40 PM
Speedy is soo cute :). I wanna name mine Sonic lol

popcornbird
03-27-2003, 09:43 PM
I thought you were getting a cockatiel.

And before that I thought you were getting a tortoise.

And before that I thought you were getting a hamster.

And before that I thought you were getting a dog.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:46 PM
I thought you were getting a cockatiel.

No You all talked me out of that remeber???

and No I am not getting hamsters?? What r u talking about?? If I wanted another hamster I would keep Cuddles last pup.

No I am not getting a tort because above it clearly states " I am not getting a tortoise because they are illegal in Canada B.C to be specific." :rolleyes:

And I am getting two gerbles fromt he spca when Cuddles last pup is gone and I want a hedge hog...

READ THIS OVER SEVERAL TIMES OK :D

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:48 PM
wOLF SOUL IS TotalPet OPEN THIS LATE???

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:50 PM
popcornbird, No I wouldnt be able to be talked out of this.

try me.. :).. You can say I have to many pets, you can say i should consentrate on the pets I have now, you could say anything, it wouldent change how I feel about gerbles and hedgehogs. I give all my pets equal love, maybe my dog more love then my hamsters but whatever, that doesnt matter.

popcornbird
03-27-2003, 09:51 PM
Then why did you listen about the bird when you wanted him so bad? :confused:

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:54 PM
I dont know, I guess birds are just not the pet 4 me.. I love my Cheeko and Spanky though, even thoguh that dont like me. @ least they will live out there live with each other, they are impossible to tame..

luckies4me
03-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Popcornbird.

Who cares?!!! It is her life and if she wants a hedgie let her get a hedgie sheesh. She has obviously studied them and knows the basic living requirements so what's the problem?

luckies4me
03-27-2003, 09:57 PM
BTW Popcornbird.....I have some birdie pis for you!:D

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 09:59 PM
thanks for standing up for me luckies :)

popcornbird
03-27-2003, 10:04 PM
I was just asking, since she says she's planning to get a different pet like every other day. I never said she can't have a hedgie or didn't do her research. I was just curious and asking a question. :rolleyes:

wolf_Q
03-27-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
[B]I was just asking, since she says she's planning to get a different pet like every other day. B]

Uhh....yeah.....and wow, great research since she didn't even know what they looked liked. :rolleyes:

luckies4me
03-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Uhh....yeah.....and wow, great research since she didn't even know what they looked liked. :rolleyes:

I do have to admit that was a little odd....don't know what she meant about that. :confused:

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 10:14 PM
omg look what I found they are located right where I live kinda lol. yay it was in the news paper. :D.. I dont think my mom will pay $175.00 though :(

AFRICAN PYGMY HEDGEHOG: Male, 3 mo. old, cage, accessories & care guide. $175. ***-****

popcornbird
03-27-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
r they cute?? :D

She didn't even know if they were cute. :confused: Even I knew that. :p:p:p

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 10:16 PM
I was talking to wolf sopul when I showed the pic lol.. lmao you ppl sometimes. you assume the worst. Of corse I know what they look like what do you think I am??? I was asking What the hedgies looked like at the pet store I was asking wolfsoul. The colors.ect.. lmao you guyz are soo funny :rolleyes: oh wait..

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Again popcornbird, I was asking wolfsould, she lives by me and goes to petstores everyday. she knows what the current colors at the pet stores are and I was asking if they were cute to be funny .. :rolleyes: .. I am not an idiot...

luckies4me
03-27-2003, 10:20 PM
LOL Ok I was right....I was like why is she asking what they looked like lol. :p

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 10:29 PM
ya me and wolf soul live hlf an hour away from eachother, she lives by all the petstores and she tells me about the current pets that are in at the time. :D.... I was just foolin when I asked if they were cute, of corse they are :D..

luckies4me
03-27-2003, 10:38 PM
Did you see my birdie pics?

134basddddddddddddz87

Sorry bout that...Meeko likes to type.

I think that's a signal I need to cook the ratties their din din. TTYL :)

wolfsoul
03-28-2003, 07:03 PM
There aren't any more hedgies left :( All gone...Iwent to see the prices, but they replaced the degus and hedgies with like 50 hamsters :eek:

tikeyas_mom
03-28-2003, 08:01 PM
really, wow...

HoRsELUvR
03-29-2003, 09:28 PM
If you get a hedgehog,post pics if you can.

tikeyas_mom
03-29-2003, 09:44 PM
I will for surely post pics :D... I promis..